Duke4.net Forums: I found out when the DNF engine was made. - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I found out when the DNF engine was made.  "I think it's surprising."

User is offline   Alithinos 

As you already should know,DNF was made in a heavily modified Unreal 2 engine,with the render made by 3D Realms.
I searched the int files of the games and I found out that the render the engine is using was made in 2003.

It's a game made with 2003 tech,and now that I know of this I think that 3D Realms / Gearbox did the best they could to fit the textures and models the game have. I mean its graphics might not look that good,but if you think that it was made with tools and tech from 2003,it's surprising they did that good.

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 05 June 2011 - 03:28 PM

User is offline   randir14 

The engine might be that old, but I'm sure they updated things over the years. Randy said the oldest thing in the game is a pigcop toy which was made in 2006.

View Postrandir14, on 05 June 2011 - 03:30 PM, said:

The engine might be that old, but I'm sure they updated things over the years. Randy said the oldest thing in the game is a pigcop toy which was made in 2006.

Yeah but someone can just put that kind or amount of stuff in such an old engine.

The age of an engine doesn't say much, I mean shit, Activision have been making millions from an engine that dates back to 2004.

User is offline   Hank 

at first post
http://arstechnica.c...r-a-history.ars

please read this first! Then we'll talk, maybe.

View PostMysteryMeat, on 05 June 2011 - 03:37 PM, said:

The age of an engine doesn't say much, I mean shit, Activision have been making millions from an engine that dates back to 2004.

I thought someone would be constrained by using an old engine. Like for example not being able to use newer features like dx10 and 11,or not being able to use textures of a higher resolution or something..
But I also might be wrong.

View PostHank, on 05 June 2011 - 03:39 PM, said:

at first post
http://arstechnica.c...r-a-history.ars

please read this first! Then we'll talk, maybe.

I already know this stuff.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostAlithinos, on 05 June 2011 - 03:42 PM, said:

I already know this stuff.

Then you know their renderer is nividia's and Triptych did a lot from 2006 to now. that they started with Unreal 2 makes hardly a difference.

View PostAlithinos, on 05 June 2011 - 03:39 PM, said:

I thought someone would be constrained by using an old engine. Like for example not being able to use newer features like dx10 and 11,or not being able to use textures of a higher resolution or something..
But I also might be wrong.

DX10 and DX11 are still pretty bad/obscure right now, and you really aren't getting a whole lot of developers using them, even now. most games are designed to turn them off anyway, because so few people can run games with them right now on PCs. basically, you limit your sales to only people who can afford to upgrade their PC every 6 months or so by strictly enforcing a game requires it. Kind of pointless to care about them right now, honestly.

This post has been edited by Colon Semicolon: 05 June 2011 - 03:54 PM

User is offline   Assblaster 

View PostMysteryMeat, on 05 June 2011 - 03:37 PM, said:

If your talk about id tech 3 in which the cod games use in its code than it goes way more back then that

This post has been edited by Assblaster: 05 June 2011 - 04:19 PM

It actually does, doesn't it? My bad.

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostColon Semicolon, on 05 June 2011 - 03:51 PM, said:

DX10 and DX11 are still pretty bad/obscure right now, and you really aren't getting a whole lot of developers using them, even now. most games are designed to turn them off anyway, because so few people can run games with them right now on PCs. basically, you limit your sales to only people who can afford to upgrade their PC every 6 months or so by strictly enforcing a game requires it. Kind of pointless to care about them right now, honestly.

Maybe gamers WANT some better advancements in graphics/physics/etc and usage of new tech? I mean we can't go too fast too soon, but we can't just let things stagnate to appease the ones that are too cheap or slow to upgrade all the time either.

User is offline   WedgeBob 

Hate to mention World of Warcraft, but don't forget when that game first came out, and how old that technology is...and Blizzard is still releasing content and new expansion packs on it, and it's still the world leading MMORPG because of it.
Sure it's not Duke related, and it's not even an FPS, but that just shows how older technology is still very much in use, and it still seems to be a big money maker, and the fanbase is growing as far as the eye can see.
Sorry, just had to use that as an example...FORGIVE ME!!!

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

Blizzard is constantly updating the WoW engine, though. They also lost 600,000 subscribers this year. It's still far and away the leading MMORPG, but it peaked a while ago and people are looking for something new.

DX10/11 is limited because of the current gen console hardware. Neither the Xbox360 nor PS3 support DX11. No serious developer is utilizing it except for the rare few who are learning the tech now and preparing for next gen consoles. PC games hardly count because the majority still use Windows XP. Microsoft is making it obsolete, but don't expect an industry-wide changeover for at least a few years.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 05 June 2011 - 05:33 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMad Max RW, on 05 June 2011 - 05:29 PM, said:

Blizzard is constantly updating the WoW engine, though. They also lost 600,000 subscribers this year. It's still far and away the leading MMORPG, but it peaked a while ago and people are looking for something new.

DX10/11 is limited because of the current gen console hardware. Neither the Xbox360 nor PS3 support DX11. No serious developer is utilizing it except for the rare few who are learning the tech now and preparing for next gen consoles. PC games hardly count because the majority still use Windows XP. Microsoft is making it obsolete, but don't expect an industry-wide changeover for at least a few years.

Wow was never good.

User is offline   Jeff 

I guess for some, graphics don't make the game. I still play UT2004, which has 7 year old graphics, but it's the gameplay that does it for me. I could care less if DNF had 5-6 year old graphics.

User is offline   Laokin 

View PostDN4EVR, on 05 June 2011 - 05:33 PM, said:

Wow was never good.

Quake.Live.

'99 graphics still kicking awesome populations till this very day. Agreed it's slightly cleaned up, but ultimately it's just better artists retexturing it....

Half Life 2 is still more visually appealing than most games out there.

So the engine's from 2003. BIG WHOOP! We're getting Duke Nukem Forever after TWELVE YEARS, and that's what matters. As long as I can enjoy the game, I'll be happy with it. :(

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

The Dark Places Engine is a new and improved Quake I engine and it has a feature-set that improves on Doom III - so the age of the engine dosen't mean squat.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View Postburymeinsmoke, on 06 June 2011 - 07:23 PM, said:

Half Life 2 is still more visually appealing than most games out there.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options