Duke4.net Forums: rotate rise problem - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

rotate rise problem

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I posted this in the mapster problems and bugs thread but no one downloaded the file so it appears there wasn't much interest to help. But I've been stressing out about this, trying all sorts of solutions and I still can't get it to work. All I want to do is make a room turn 90 and back upon activation. Without the sector lotag of 30, (just the SE sprites) the room spins around perfectly normally as expected, but as soon as I give all the sectors the 30 lotag for a 'rotate rise bridge' the whole thing shoots off to infinity in the direction the SE 0s are pointing.

I've included 2 maps, one without the lotag to show it spinning normally, one with the 30 lotag to show the strange behavior. The starting positions of both maps are in the problem room for quick and easy access.

I simply can't figure it out and a fresh set of eyes might just come in useful. To this end I will give 2 rep points to the person who figures this out, since 1 rep point isn't reward enough for this problem.

This is the room that's causing the problem:
Posted Image

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Micky C: 25 April 2011 - 03:00 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I would be very surprised if anyone who was knowledgeable enough and generous enough to help you with this cared about getting 2 rep points (or any number of rep points). I know you are just trying to get help, but by offering rep points as though it were a real reward, you might make that outcome less likely.

User is offline   Gambini 

I like to try fixing this kind of things but dont have time today. I´ve looked into the map and seems like the rotated object is too complex. I´d start, in a test map making it of less sectors/walls, if it works then add more and so. Also, try to envelope sectors within the big one so they dont need a SE or tag (you know the kind of child sector that shares all its vertices with its parent sector. That will help a lot

• Honored Donor

View PostDeeperThought, on 25 April 2011 - 08:44 AM, said:

I would be very surprised if anyone who was knowledgeable enough and generous enough to help you with this cared about getting 2 rep points (or any number of rep points). I know you are just trying to get help, but by offering rep points as though it were a real reward, you might make that outcome less likely.

It did occur to me, and I hope people don't believe that I think the only reason anyone would help me here is for the rep points. This forum has an impressive history of people helping each other with their problems. But this is a tricky problem and I want to offer whatever I can in return, this is one of the reasons the rep system is here in the first place, helping people.

View PostGambini, on 25 April 2011 - 03:09 PM, said:

I like to try fixing this kind of things but dont have time today. I´ve looked into the map and seems like the rotated object is too complex. I´d start, in a test map making it of less sectors/walls, if it works then add more and so. Also, try to envelope sectors within the big one so they dont need a SE or tag (you know the kind of child sector that shares all its vertices with its parent sector. That will help a lot

Alright I think I know what you mean, I'll look into it. Thanks Gambini

FIXED: Remove all those bloody xyz vel values from the rotated sector SE´s.

I´ve been toying around with the map quite a bit so the copy i have is very broken to be sent, but i give my word it works :dukegoof:

• Honored Donor

OOOHHHH! I must have copied the SE sprites from lights, I thought those values didn't affect anything in the vanilla game but apparently not. It's working better now, still has a few kinks to iron out but the shifting off to infinity problem is gone. Thanks again Gambini, you rock.

You guys are discovering interesting things. I think that actually this issue can be used to force a sector to follow a complex trajectory, like in the attached map where I've combined a "rotate rise bridge" sector having a non-zero xvel with an oscillating activator. I couldn't fix the driftage problem though (the sector slowly drifts from its original position until it begins penetrating room walls).
Attached File  ROTVELS.zip (850bytes)
Number of downloads: 94

This post has been edited by CraigFatman: 05 May 2011 - 04:11 PM

Great. Gonna check your example map! You know I had the same thought than you as soon as i found the bug, i thought "this could be usefull for something".

hehe. Gonna send you a PM, recently I´ve discovered something that you´d love to know.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options