Duke4.net Forums: my awesome level WIP .. check 'my city' map too :) - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

my awesome level WIP .. check 'my city' map too :)  "wip so check it, review it please............."

User is offline   coheed82 

Though i'm more or less solely working on the 'my city' build, please check here too and review my older map..
it's attached here :dukegoof:

will be answering any Q & A that you guys may have.
this doesnt require HRP but i did use the Polymer, with eduke32..
This has many homages abound... pun intended.

it is a harder map, for those looking for a darn CHALLENGE instead of just an easy breezy map.
Need help? just PM me, im here most all the time.

Heck, i'll add my previous WIP BUILD too..
It's not much, its an easter egg wrapped in a Fogstorm....

so please download both files and tell me what you think of them.
And keep your eyes glued to "MY CITY' map.. im updating it alot. thanks to those who have positive things to say..

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: awesomewip.jpg
  • Attached Image: betawip.jpg

Attached File(s)

User is offline   zykov eddy 

Sorry, but it's not awesome. At all. The style is a total rubbish. But you got some potencial, though. I like how you used some of Duke 3D features.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 13 April 2011 - 01:00 PM

User is offline   coheed82 

HEY............................................................................... .................................................................................. .................................................................................. ...........!!

DOES ANYONE ELSE HERE WHO DOWNLOADED THE MAPS HERE, ACTUALLY LIKE THESE?

the views to "reply" ratio sucks...

User is offline   Gambini 

Hey without any harmfull intention, hereĀ“s a formula that works for most mappers:

Spend more time working on the map than writting things in order to convince people to play it.

View PostGambini, on 22 April 2011 - 02:05 PM, said:

Spend more time working on the map than writting things in order to convince people to play it.

Not that I agree with the modern philosophy of these sort of things, but that flies in the face of everything they teach about business. Sadly.

Btw, you do realize that Duke Nukem flash image you're using as an arcade game screen doesn't use the same palette as in-game stuff, right?

This post has been edited by wayskobfssae: 23 April 2011 - 12:35 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I gave it a try, and I liked it to a degree. There are good points going for it such as: it felt original, it had nice contrast with lighting, as well as flickering lights and lots of explosions, it was kind of big, and it was 'detailed'. I could tell you spent a lot of time on that so well done. Also the level of difficulty was great. There was a good monster-ammo-health balance, and it wasn't too hard (wasn't really the challenge you said it would be but it wasn't easy either), combat was enjoyable.

But now for the bad points.
>It was too random, there wasn't much structure to it, as in it makes the player think "what is this doing here?" or "why are all these in the same place?" because it doesn't make sense. I'm not just talking about detailing and spritework but the overall layout of rooms and areas. The entire map generally suffered from all kinds of aspects of this and there's too much to go into detail about. Of course there were times when it did make sense such as the sign saying to leave your carts, and there were a bunch of carts, which was good.
>Texturing was a bit dodgy in places. Walls weren't aligned properly, and a few texture choices were questionable. There were a lot of doors that didn't look like doors at all, so it didn't occur to me to use them, and when I did use them, they opened up funkily with all sorts of textures moving which shouldn't be moving etc... note that walls can be auto aligned by pressing 'control' and '.' at the same time.
>Water problems. There were a lot of water areas which didn't have the water lo-tag, so it didn't act light water at all. It is generally expected that liquid textures on the floor should act like a liquid in Duke maps. Also there was a time when I dropped into a puddle of water, and could step out of it sideways into air. This is bad because the game retains the underwater palate until the player resurfaces, so everything looked a bit blue when it shouldn't have, unless that was an intended effect in which case well done.
>Got stuck. I had to cheat a few times to get keys and to reveal the map. There were a lot of walls that could be blown up that I couldn't see a crack for, which is a bit unfair. There were also a lot of masked walls, and I don't know if those were for secrets or not, but ideally they should only be used to hide secrets and not the main path. Also couldn't find the keycard.

Now it's likely that if I played through a second or third time I'd see a lot more stuff which I didn't the first time around such as keycards and cracks and things, but I only played it once and commented to the best of my ability. I honestly enjoyed playing the map, it was a weird, surreal experience, but I had to suspend my disbelief on a number of things and a lot of players might not be willing to do that.

I'll finish up by saying that all mappers started with lower quality maps, and the more you map, the better you'll get, until you reach an extraordinary standard. My first map was kind of like this one in style, so maybe that's why I liked it so much. Anyway if this is your first map than it's not a bad effort. No doubt your next map will be better, and hopefully you've taken some of the negative criticism and used it as a learning experience. I'm not a fantastic mapper and I've still got a way to go but I thought I could help you out with those things. Good luck.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 23 April 2011 - 06:28 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options