Duke4.net Forums: RELEASE: IT LIVES - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RELEASE: IT LIVES  "The most eagerly awaited usermap!"

User is offline   Gambini 

VERSION 1.05 RELEASED MARCH 26

So finally! Almost three years of work inside a 1 mb file!

Posted Image
It is recommended that you download the latest unnoficial Eduke32 version before playing, as it fixes a few stuff that will make the map work better:

http://dukeworld.duk.../20110324-1855/

The map is designed and meant to be played in software mode.
No enhacement mods/hrp packages/fancy engines, as they proved causing more problems than improvements in this map. :/

In case you can´t stand the good old 8bits classic renderer (your loss), play it in polymost but be sure to put the included autoexec.cfg in your Eduke folder or type r_shadescale 1.14 in the console. This is not my fault, Eduke32´s shading is screwed up and there doesn´t seem to be plans of getting that fixed.

Play it in the night if possible, with headphones or the volume loud.

Eager to read your comments, complaints, bug reports or praises. After so many hours wasted on this, that´s my only reward ;)

DOWNLOAD

This post has been edited by Gambini: 26 March 2011 - 05:25 PM

User is offline   E.C.S 

OH GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! Downloading right now!

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

What a wonderful day!
First this great DNF delay joke, then the last volume of Preacher arrived and now I can even play a fat new map!

Nice screens. Really creepy looking.

User is offline   Mark 

I went in God mode to give it a quick try. I'll play it regular later.

Lots of detail and attention to lighting and shading. Great stuff. I also liked your 3D tree made out of 2D sprites.

I'm a hardcore HRP and Polymer fan so it was a little different going back to 8bit again. But it still is a great looking map.

View PostMarked, on Mar 24 2011, 08:20 PM, said:

Lots of detail and attention to lighting and shading. Great stuff. I also liked your 3D tree made out of 2D sprites.

I'm a hardcore HRP and Polymer fan so it was a little different going back to 8bit again. But it still is a great looking map.

The whole point of the map is feeling the atmosphere and tension. God mode just makes it feel like a window-shopping. Once you know the map you lose tension and the surprise factor. I wish people don´t follow your example and play it without cheats. Thanks for your comments about the design.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

Played it for 15 minutes but I'm stuck right now.
Spoiler

The visuals are gorgeous -- it's really impressive what you squeezed out of BUILD. I also like the ambient sounds and the environment in general. Combat seems to me on the side of the "scary" type of maps -- a bunch of monsters appearing here and there -- which is not entirely my cup of tea, but works OK in the map. (
Spoiler
)

Finally, there's a bug where you can enter a place but not exit from it (1-wall blocking wall?)
Spoiler

Great you´re playing it!

About your first question:

Spoiler

Thanks for the bug report i´ll collect them all and release a revision one of these days!

EDIT:

it's really impressive what you squeezed out of BUILD. I also like the ambient sounds and the environment in general.

You´ve not seen the best, judging by where you are stuck.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 24 March 2011 - 03:46 PM

User is offline   E.C.S 

Recently finished the level, was awesome!, every time the situation gets better and better (very entertaining parts). I liked a lot the map, excellent work. Gold star for you ;)

I wanna try it but I gotta wait for a time later on when it won't drive my wife mad.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Brilliant! As close as it gets to 100% IMO. No, your time was not wasted.
So much detail, so many nice little ideas.
If have just grabbed the (first?) yellow key card -> WOW!
I'm playing DukePlus/PolymostHRP | software renderer in parallel (switch when stuck or at a save-worthy point).
The software mood is somewhat more intense but I can recommend Polymost as well to all the other HRP fanboys. The performance is good so far, even on my mediocre machine.
Spoiler

I have noticed some (inadvertedly?) flipped/rotated textures (Polymost) and one location where
Spoiler
I think the attached screenshots won't spoil much.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: swap1.jpg
  • Attached Image: swap2.jpg
  • Attached Image: swap3.jpg
  • Attached Image: swap4.jpg
  • Attached Image: slimers.jpg

User is offline   Stabs 

As far as puzzle maps go i actually like this, i havnt finished it yet, stuck in that morgue part, but all in all i really like everything about this map, the puzzles are executed well with little hints so it dosnt feel like a glorified button hunt, one of the few puzzles map i find intriguing rather than frustrating and the ammo count is good too, i hate being expected to get by on scraps and mostly using the pistol and boot.

User is offline   E.C.S 

View PostDanM, on Mar 24 2011, 10:14 PM, said:

As far as puzzle maps go i actually like this, i havnt finished it yet, stuck in that morgue part, but all in all i really like everything about this map, the puzzles are executed well with little hints so it dosnt feel like a glorified button hunt, one of the few puzzles map i find intriguing rather than frustrating and the ammo count is good too, i hate being expected to get by on scraps and mostly using the pistol and boot.

The puzzle of the morgue part took me a while, but I always remember: "when nothing is working, remember... shoot everything and you will see". In my case, I was getting much ammo, the shrinker is good to eliminate quickly the octobrains when they are much, If Doom show me something, is how to no waste ammo and use it in a good situation.

View PostLeoD, on Mar 24 2011, 10:14 PM, said:

Brilliant! As close as it gets to 100% IMO. No, your time was not wasted.
So much detail, so many nice little ideas.
If have just grabbed the (first?) yellow key card -> WOW!
I'm playing DukePlus/PolymostHRP | software renderer in parallel (switch when stuck or at a save-worthy point).
The software mood is somewhat more intense but I can recommend Polymost as well to all the other HRP fanboys. The performance is good so far, even on my mediocre machine.
Spoiler

I have noticed some (inadvertedly?) flipped/rotated textures (Polymost) and one location where
Spoiler
I think the attached screenshots won't spoil much.

I´m glad you are enjoying it but you´re raping the map using the HRP. Please do not recommend it as the HRP just generates all sort of horrible visual bugs on this, all your screenshots are a perfect example of this.

User is offline   E.C.S 

View PostGambini, on Mar 24 2011, 10:37 PM, said:

I´m glad you are enjoying it but you´re raping the map using the HRP. Please do not recommend it as the HRP just generates all sort of horrible visual bugs on this, all your screenshots are a perfect example of this.

Actually, there are flipped/rotated posters in the map, and it's not the HRP fault.

User is offline   Mark 

[quote name='Marked' date='Mar 24 2011, 05:20 PM' post='78565']

I didn't venture very far so I don't think I spoiled any surprises. I just ran around the main outside area and in the underground garage area and one room off to the side. It sounds like I haven't gotten to the creepy parts yet. ;)

Actually, there are flipped/rotated posters in the map, and it's not the HRP fault.

The clocks at the elevator´s door top are supposed to be story indicators, and you can only see half of their circle. The posters have a pal that makes the text unreadeable and therefore dont look like upsidedown. In short, there are thousands of circumstances where the HRP breaks the design of the map.

@Marked: Better then! I hope you enjoy it ;)

This post has been edited by Gambini: 24 March 2011 - 06:14 PM

User is offline   HellFire 

Played and finished it in the first try, i almost died in the water part haha. In my opinion, this is the best map ever released for duke. Did you work as a level designer? If not you should consider it, you got talent.

I can send you some screens with texture errors/flaws, this maps looks so beautiful that i can notice that you aimed for perfection, if youre planning to do some fixes in this map like you did for blown fuses for example... i can send them via PM.

User is offline   Lunick 

I'm not sure if its much of a glitch but if you keep jumping around the steel gates near the start you can actually go out them

View PostHellFire, on Mar 25 2011, 12:01 AM, said:

Played and finished it in the first try, i almost died in the water part haha. In my opinion, this is the best map ever released for duke. Did you work as a level designer? If not you should consider it, you got talent.

I can send you some screens with texture errors/flaws, this maps looks so beautiful that i can notice that you aimed for perfection, if youre planning to do some fixes in this map like you did for blown fuses for example... i can send them via PM.

Thank you very much for your kind words, of course i´m interested on the bugs you´ve seen, send´em. right now working on the first revision (lots of reports here and there). My wife is a little upset, she says "didnt you just finished that damn map? why the hell have you still your head stuck into the monitor?

About being a profesional level designer, you´re not the first person that says that. I should consider it, if i wasnt that slow when mapping ;)

I´m also a models and textures artist, you may be interested in my other project for a more contemporanean game: http://www.amcwebfor...hp?topic=8296.0 Although i barely update that thread with screenshots.

I'm not sure if its much of a glitch but if you keep jumping around the steel gates near the start you can actually go out them

I think i found the problem and fixed it, thanks to you too.

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

Great fun so far. I stopped at the puzzle with the 3 generators. Spent too much time trying to figure it out and not getting anywhere. Frustration set in. May get back to it later when I can think better after some sleep!

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

I really don't understand why people are so intent on playing a map in the way that shouldn't be played. There´s a lot of maps to play with polymer and hrp, but not this!

View PostGambini, on Mar 24 2011, 09:54 PM, said:

My wife is a little upset, she says "didnt you just finished that damn map? why the hell have you still your head stuck into the monitor?

Ouch!

This post has been edited by Norvak: 25 March 2011 - 05:13 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostNorvak, on Mar 25 2011, 02:12 PM, said:

I really don't understand why people are so intent on playing a map in the way that shouldn't be played.

Because they like it that way? I recommended that to the HRP Fanboys like me, not to everyone. I am quite tolerant to occasional glitches.

View PostGambini, on Mar 25 2011, 04:54 AM, said:

About being a profesional level designer, you´re not the first person that says that. I should consider it, if i wasnt that slow when mapping ;)

You could have completed four DNF maps at least. ;) Why not apply for working on DNF's successor Duke Nukem High Five?

Btw, I'm also stuck at the generators.

View PostLeoD, on Mar 25 2011, 11:35 AM, said:

Because they like it that way? I recommended that to the HRP Fanboys like me, not to everyone. I am quite tolerant to occasional glitches.

Granted, nobody will force you to turn hires off (i wish i could but i dont know where you are ;) ). Just think of how a project like DNE would look being played in 8bits.

Btw, I'm also stuck at the generators.

Solution:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Gambini: 25 March 2011 - 07:05 AM

User is offline   NerdZilla 

This looks awesome... ;) <(It's time to smoke grass and kill everyone... And I'm all out of grass.)

User is offline   chicken 

• Fashionable Modeler

This is one of the finest maps ever released for Duke.
Atmosphere, stunning design, awesome effects and truckloads of details.
I stopped several times to enjoy the view and tried to figure out "How the hell did he do this? This is all vanilla Duke!"

The only negative thing was, I ran a little short on ammo sometimes but was always able to solve the situation.

All in all: just plain awesome.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostGambini, on Mar 25 2011, 09:17 AM, said:

The map is designed and meant to be played in software mode.

View PostLeoD, on Mar 25 2011, 02:14 PM, said:

I'm playing DukePlus/PolymostHRP...

[Attachments of images that are only problems in the POLYMOST/POLYJMER render]

I knew I would see one of these posts in the first page, sigh... ;)

This post has been edited by The Commander: 25 March 2011 - 12:16 PM

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostGambini, on Mar 25 2011, 11:01 AM, said:

Solution:
Spoiler

Lol! I was going about it in totally the opposite direction! (mega facepalm!)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

This is one of the greatest maps of all time, possibly the greatest.

Just when you think you have seen an amazing effect or construction that cannot be topped, you go to the next room and see one that is even more amazing.

The gameplay follows a pattern: ambush -> puzzle -> ambush -> puzzle -> ambush -> puzzle ...

You are forced to wait through some scripted sequences, so replay value could be better, but it is still greater than most maps due to the sheer awesomeness.

I know that another version will be released, so I won't nitpick.

However, I want to point out that the map does contain some enhancements that work only with DukePlus with Polymost, and it is worth playing again to see them, because they add to the atmosphere. Gambini didn't mention this before, because there is a bug that makes one battlelord disappear when using DukePlus -- it will be fixed later, but it doesn't break the map.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 25 March 2011 - 08:52 PM

Maybe we coincide with my revision and your fix. That would be great since the battlelord disappearance is very mood breaking IMO. You´re fully right about the effects. For much my aim was accurately pointing at the vanilla 8bits software game style, i´ve added Dukeplus effects and polymer lights all around. I even took the time to disable the models in DP that look bad with the nomodel sprite. However, for much i worked on the polymer compatibility there are several problems that might even make this map unbeateable in polymer. Not to mention the performance.

Thanks for your nice comments too!

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options