Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem: The Movie main story - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem: The Movie main story

So if the duke nukem movie was made how do you guys would like the story to be like?
Based on the video games or an original story?
To be dramatic or a self parody?
If they made a duke nukem film i would like it to be live-action, based on the events of the first game and, since it's almost the same, possibly manhatan project, and keep the alien invasion for the sequels, the villain would be Doctor Proton, it would be a self parody in the style of the quentin tarantino films, Hot Fuzz and Army of Darkness, actually the story would basically be manhatan project but with dr. proton as the villain, the film would alude to the alien invasion, and Proton would use the mutations with the help of alien technology.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

According to the Internet Movie Database website, which I go to for all my movie info/ratings etc... there is a Duke Nukem movie coming out in 2011, however it says information is subject to change because the movie is still in development. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1291122/

Plot summary:

In a world gone bad, one man hired by the CIA and the EDF (earth defense force) becomes the only hope in preventing a mad scientist from using evil aliens, techbots and mutated/experimental soldiers to capture and enslave woman to breed with and create an oppressive society on earth.

From the additional info I could gather, it's going to be a throwback to the 80's action films.

I normally see the information i want on wikipedia, by the way, some information that we see on imbd may not be true, some times they make pages for movies that weren't greenlited yet. Also, if the movie was to be released this year then there would already be news of the casting, the director, and information conserning the filming.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMicky C, on Jan 19 2011, 07:52 AM, said:

According to the Internet Movie Database website, which I go to for all my movie info/ratings etc... there is a Duke Nukem movie coming out in 2011, however it says information is subject to change because the movie is still in development.

yes I think we got that

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

That plot outline is quite old actually, that was being thrown around about five years ago on some of the movie preview websites. Very much not likely to be the plot for the film currently being worked on.

Nobody answered the question yet, what would you guys like the story to be?

I think it should be like the games. Crazy action with the crazy humor.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I don't know about the first film, but I'd love to see a movie that follows Zero Hour. Most solid story in the whole series.

Edit: Perhaps the first film could nick most of it's back story from They Live. I think introducing Dr. Proton just wouldn't fit. But rather, have Duke Nukem, a hapless body builder and gun enthusiast, be the only 'normal' person to figure out that aliens are about to invade and take our women. He's about to embark on a mission to destroy them when he gets hired by the US Government/EDF. Or maybe he's already in the military (some of the other games have hinted at this, along with being ex-CIA, though I can't quite see that) and has been selected for his outstanding service and unique style, often opting for a one-man approach rather than a squad.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 23 January 2011 - 02:21 PM

Well, there were talks of a They Live remake, i think that making it the duke nukem movie would be more fit, but using dr proton would work too because the film would be like the games, mindless action and humor without much sence, that worked with Piranhas 3D

User is offline   Scott_AW 

Will we ever see a 3d Dr. Proton?

Only if he mutates himself :(

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postoriginal spawn, on Jan 24 2011, 04:26 PM, said:

Well, there were talks of a They Live remake, i think that making it the duke nukem movie would be more fit, but using dr proton would work too because the film would be like the games, mindless action and humor without much sence, that worked with Piranhas 3D

You must be joking. Duke Nukem has more depth than that, it is well crafted to appear mindless.

Duke Nukem doesn't have much depth, he's a parofy of holliwood heroes and b-movies.

I have to agree with original spawn. All there is to duke is an alien asskicking guy. It's not about the story.

• Judge Mental

View PostJhect, on Jan 25 2011, 01:42 PM, said:

I have to agree with original spawn. All there is to duke is an alien asskicking guy. It's not about the story.

That is dangerously naive in terms of the concept of the character.

You cant just throw a bunch of bullshit on the screen. Duke as a character does require a bit of care to get him right. He speaks and sounds a certain way, he acts a certain way. The story cant just be anything either, it has to fit a certain mold, and balance a bit of seriousness with a bit of humor. It cant turn to a total parody, and it cant be a glum ass super gritty super realistic thing either. Its all about finely balancing the elements.

Duke is deceptively simple, not actually simple. To get it right and make it really awesome you have to go the distance.

The duke nukem games were never serious, only zero hour, the character sounds a certain way but that't why it should be kind of a parody of B-movies, because the character is one.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM

View PostCommando Nukem, on Jan 26 2011, 02:57 AM, said:

That is dangerously naive in terms of the concept of the character.

You cant just throw a bunch of bullshit on the screen. Duke as a character does require a bit of care to get him right. He speaks and sounds a certain way, he acts a certain way. The story cant just be anything either, it has to fit a certain mold, and balance a bit of seriousness with a bit of humor. It cant turn to a total parody, and it cant be a glum ass super gritty super realistic thing either. Its all about finely balancing the elements.

Duke is deceptively simple, not actually simple. To get it right and make it really awesome you have to go the distance.

Come on. The story is the least important part here... You know that. We have an alien invasion, and then we have one guy who can take them all down.

• Judge Mental

View PostJhect, on Jan 26 2011, 01:19 PM, said:

Come on. The story is the least important part here... You know that. We have an alien invasion, and then we have one guy who can take them all down.

Thats not a story. That's two points within a story. You have to ask and answer some questions and actually have some kind of a plot for the movie to follow! Why are the aliens invading? How does Duke get involved specifically? Why do the aliens want our women so much? Who is Duke Nukem as a person? What's his backstory/history with the EDF and General Graves(If you have him in there at all) ? Where does most of the action end up taking place? How does Duke win? What weaknesses do the aliens have? Does Duke in turn have any weaknesses the aliens might exploit?

See, you cant just throw some junk on screen with some explosions and say "thats good!" Its gotta be given some care. That doesnt mean it has to be all serious business. But look at a movie like, say, Men in Black. Thats got the right balance between comedy, action, and playing things straight. It has a very solid visual style, atmosphere, and a well told story that keeps everything in focus and wraps up nicely, but it also delivers some really good action, and humor. That all comes down to the writing.

I think Captain Awesome has a fairly good point made. That'd be a great place to start, and the sequel could be an adaption of Zero Hour.

Oh you mean the movie. I was talking about duke nukem as in the games lol. Ofcourse if you make a movie, then it is important to give it a story. I totally agree with you on that. That is why duke nukem as a movie will not be the same as in the games.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostCommando Nukem, on Jan 26 2011, 02:54 PM, said:

See, you cant just throw some junk on screen with some explosions and say "thats good!"

The Brothers Strause could. Well, at least they tried with Skyline. Although the audience didn't agree "that's good" what they did. :(

• Judge Mental

View Postfuegerstef, on Jan 26 2011, 04:22 PM, said:

The Brothers Strause could. Well, at least they tried with Skyline. Although the audience didn't agree "that's good" what they did. :(

Well, you can sure say it, but that doesnt make it so. :D

Zero hour is certainly one of the best stories, but i remember that dr proton was supposed to return in Forever so they could use him in the first film and if there was enough success then we would see about the sequels, i say, keep the alien invasion for the sequels, what if the film was with the aliens using Dr. Proton to make him change some important historic events, for Dr.Proton's family to be powerful, but being in fact a plan for the aliens to take over.

View PostCommando Nukem, on Jan 26 2011, 03:54 PM, said:

Thats not a story. That's two points within a story. You have to ask and answer some questions and actually have some kind of a plot for the movie to follow! Why are the aliens invading? How does Duke get involved specifically? Why do the aliens want our women so much? Who is Duke Nukem as a person? What's his backstory/history with the EDF and General Graves(If you have him in there at all) ? Where does most of the action end up taking place? How does Duke win? What weaknesses do the aliens have? Does Duke in turn have any weaknesses the aliens might exploit?

See, you cant just throw some junk on screen with some explosions and say "thats good!" Its gotta be given some care. That doesnt mean it has to be all serious business. But look at a movie like, say, Men in Black. Thats got the right balance between comedy, action, and playing things straight. It has a very solid visual style, atmosphere, and a well told story that keeps everything in focus and wraps up nicely, but it also delivers some really good action, and humor. That all comes down to the writing.

I think Captain Awesome has a fairly good point made. That'd be a great place to start, and the sequel could be an adaption of Zero Hour.

This and post 15 sums it up. This needs to be quoted forever, and to GBX, 3DR and whoever the hell has the Duke Nuken movie rights.

• Judge Mental

View Postoriginal spawn, on Jan 27 2011, 11:30 AM, said:

Zero hour is certainly one of the best stories, but i remember that dr proton was supposed to return in Forever so they could use him in the first film and if there was enough success then we would see about the sequels, i say, keep the alien invasion for the sequels, what if the film was with the aliens using Dr. Proton to make him change some important historic events, for Dr.Proton's family to be powerful, but being in fact a plan for the aliens to take over.

That's no longer the case though. Proton won't be in Duke Nukem Forever.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

View PostJhect, on Jan 26 2011, 08:09 PM, said:

Oh you mean the movie.

I was going to find a facepalm picture but this is just too horrid to even warrant one...

View PostCommando Nukem, on Jan 27 2011, 05:35 PM, said:

That's no longer the case though. Proton won't be in Duke Nukem Forever.

:( Seriously?

User is offline   Sebastian 

View PostCommando Nukem, on Jan 26 2011, 03:54 PM, said:

Or to put it more simply: setup, confrontation, resolution.
I should finish my treatment for my Duke Nukem script sometime and upload it here. Was planning on doing something animated with it but I never seem to get the enough free time to do so.

I would like to see other peoples idea for the story, and a treatment for a script would be interesting.

• Judge Mental

View PostSebastian, on Jan 28 2011, 12:16 PM, said:

Or to put it more simply: setup, confrontation, resolution.
I should finish my treatment for my Duke Nukem script sometime and upload it here. Was planning on doing something animated with it but I never seem to get the enough free time to do so.

More or less! Hey, that'd be really friggin cool to check out.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options