Duke4.net Forums: How about making Eduke32 able to play avi. mpg etc if is not too complex? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How about making Eduke32 able to play avi. mpg etc if is not too complex?  "Dunno if is in the wrong place or not but still random question"

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Like cineover thing (ANM) is like very darkageish and vintage.

Modern duke can accept jpeg. gif. png etc without affecting the game's normal palette.
Also can play mp3, ogg etc.
HRP / polymer.
and more.

But would be cool if in duke3d.def you make so it can play an avi. Avi is easy to make you make a clip with gif and convert to avi.
Then avi to mpeg but wont have sounds tho.

Probably you'll need to make sound and vid separated like the ANM.
If is not too complex to make maybe in future update of Eduke32 it would be awsome making it accept AVI, Mpeg, mov etc.
Like it can accept almost anything accept clips outside ANM.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

EDuke32 is not a media player.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

I know but would be cool high resolution movie clips at the end of each lv.
Just saying :(

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Yeah, and I'm just saying I'm not going to add support for some huge video decoding library just for the sake of replacing some 15 second videos.

User is offline   Mark 

I would like to see it used to play videos on monitor screens throughout the game or similar things in the game. Not just cut scenes. No hurry, I'll wait :(

This post has been edited by Marked: 14 June 2010 - 04:42 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

This video is not a .ANM, was a bit of an ass to get right and it still sometimes crashes EDuke32 after it finishes playing. :(

http://www.youtube.c...6pmcKYE#t=6m00s

Instead it is 304 separate .png images defined in a .DEF file and coded a simple actor that will play them as it's ACTION while playing the audio from the video.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 14 June 2010 - 06:27 AM

User is offline   CruX 

View PostThe Commander, on Jun 14 2010, 07:23 AM, said:

This video is not a .ANM, was a bit of an ass to get right and it still sometimes crashes EDuke32 after it finishes playing. :(

http://www.youtube.c...6pmcKYE#t=6m00s

Instead it is 304 separate .png images defined in a .DEF file and coded a simple actor that will play them as it's ACTION while playing the audio from the video.

It's pretty cool, but it wouldn't it work just as well to animate it through a gamevar counter and show it in the displayrest event?

That could have worked but I can also use in maps that are MP and display it on a monitor in a base etc with out worrying about sync etc

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostZaxtor, on Jun 14 2010, 12:32 AM, said:

mp3

Nope.

View PostZaxtor, on Jun 14 2010, 12:32 AM, said:

But would be cool if in duke3d.def you make so it can play an avi. Avi is easy to make you make a clip with gif and convert to avi.

Facepalm. That is not how you make a movie.

View PostTX, on Jun 14 2010, 01:37 AM, said:

Yeah, and I'm just saying I'm not going to add support for some huge video decoding library just for the sake of replacing some 15 second videos.

Yep, AVI is a container format and IMO there would be a lot of shittily encoded videos floating around mods if that were to occur. OGG Theora or VP8 are ways to go.

Another thought are APNG, MNG, and ProAsm's zip file container movies. By default, the ANMs don't have sound, so this could be an acceptable alternative.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 14 June 2010 - 09:48 AM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Was sure it could play mp3 but is discouraged due to some copyright issues etc.

• Weaponized Autism

It's impossible to hook fmod into a GPL program. (OGG>MP3 for applications anyway.)

Nice to see that VP8 has been put into eduke now, this has been LONG overdue.

Great work Helix, this will help many newer mods in the long run, also the HRP should benefit from this.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

So what does this mean for the layman?

View PostMicky C, on 18 July 2011 - 04:37 PM, said:

So what does this mean for the layman?

Videos instead of the crappy .ANM ones seen during start up etc

This post has been edited by The Commander: 18 July 2011 - 05:12 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostThe Commander, on 18 July 2011 - 04:28 PM, said:

Nice to see that VP8 has been put into eduke now, this has been LONG overdue.

Great work Helix, this will help many newer mods in the long run, also the HRP should benefit from this.

I can't find that quote, but did you not acquire Visual Studio? I rather see Helix on TROR. Yeah, selfish. So feel free to incorporate VP8 into Eduke32 yourself. All the best. Posted Image

added
Wait! Who da fuck unearthed a year old thread? I got confused with the reds and greens, I feel stupid posting. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 18 July 2011 - 05:12 PM

View PostHank, on 18 July 2011 - 05:07 PM, said:

I can't find that quote, but did you not acquire Visual Studio? I rather see Helix on TROR. Yeah, selfish. So feel free to incorporate VP8 into Eduke32 yourself. All the best. Posted Image

People need to read the "ChangeLog.txt" of the snapshot builds.

http://dukeworld.duk...3/ChangeLog.txt

View PostHank, on 18 July 2011 - 05:07 PM, said:

Wait! Who da fuck unearthed a year old thread? I got confused with the reds and greens, I feel stupid posting. Posted Image

I did because this topic is already about video, so why make a new one?

This post has been edited by The Commander: 18 July 2011 - 05:15 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostThe Commander, on 18 July 2011 - 05:11 PM, said:

People need to read the "ChangeLog.txt" of the snapshot builds.

To keep up with all the happenings of EDuke32 is a full time job! Posted Image

• Weaponized Autism

Or just read this, it's easier.

http://eduke32.svn.s...uke32/?view=log

• Honored Donor

Would it be possible to have the videos playing in game? Like on a wall?

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

Theoretically, yes. One problem right now is that the colorspace conversion is done using a fragment shader, and I don't know how much that would get especially in Polymer's way.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

If you supported MNG's that would do it in gamespace.

Otherwise of course you can hack it using alt-pal textures. Messy but doable.

Erm, obviously I'm talking about near-term rather than the above VP8 support.

View PostHendricks266, on 18 July 2011 - 07:20 PM, said:

Or just read this, it's easier.

http://eduke32.svn.s...uke32/?view=log

I dare you to try load that page with a dial up connection. :(

• Honored Donor

My God... that page loads info all the way back from 2006 Posted Image

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

It wouldn't be a problem to hook that into Polymer, but the major unknown is how to control it? As soon as there's a well-defined way for gameland/CON to control video playback on a given tile actually hooking it up to the renderer is very easy.

• Weaponized Autism

Hopefully in addition to overriding the original ANMs, and defining movies to tiles, there would also be a way to trigger ANMs/movies full-screen on-demand, as well as a way to custom-create any sounds and music for the duration from CON.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

I personally can't speak for how it would work internally\technically like with gameland\con stuff... but speaking of controls for in-game media it probably wouldn't need a lot of them in the game. Like for example think of how the slide\sound shows on the TVs worked in Max Payne. The only control you had over them is on\off and they just looped their content over and over. The other way I have seen it is like in Prey where a series of videos is linked to a TV and you cycle through them when you press use on the TV and the end of the cycle is "off" and then you use it again to turn it on. But generally it's like the controls are just on\off and it loops content over and over. It wouldn't need tons of controls at any time like fast forward, rewind, pause\play.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 20 July 2011 - 12:29 AM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Probably I lived under a rock.

Did duke changed for the ANM files and use a new type of files like VP8?
Like Eduke32 evolved uses HPR, TROR and other badass special effects. What about the Cineover / ANM thingie?
Changed/??

• Honored Donor

Relax Zaxtor, nothing's been released yet. When the feature is finalized and made public, then they'll release instructions on how to use it.

This is great news! I'll be honest, when playing Duke Nukem I had a hard time grasping the story line. I'm sure someone will work on a cutscene pack, which would be absolutely incredible (Duke is a lot like the first Unreal game in this area, great game to play, just couldn't figure out the story that well).

User is offline   Zaxtor 

If they release it and lets u make long cinema would be awsome.

Also altering the E1 cine thing since is very diff from others.
Also able to put or remove unwanted sound in the clip (all of the clips).
Some has sounds u can't remove cus are hardcoded.

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 20 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options