Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   Geoffrey 

Glad you got it working :P I've kinda lost track on the mod though - is it just one map or a complete episode?

User is offline   Sobek 

• There's coffee in that nebula!

View PostGeoffrey, on May 9 2010, 02:14 AM, said:

Glad you got it working :P I've kinda lost track on the mod though - is it just one map or a complete episode?

A full episode. I had to take a pretty long break from working on anything - life kind of got in the way, as it does... But everything's sorted so I'm back at it and making great progress. All the groundwork is laid out (textures, most models, maps), it's just a case of putting on the finishing touches, tidying up in general and getting it out there. Of course, it takes time, and there's still things to do that I'm having to teach myself about to accomplish.

I'm psyched, it's coming along really well :D

User is offline   Sobek 

Just a follow up - I got the texture order sorted out well and good (scale's a bit off but, that takes 2 seconds to correct);

Posted Image

:P

This post has been edited by Sobek: 09 May 2010 - 08:09 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostSobek, on May 9 2010, 08:11 PM, said:

Just a follow up - I got the texture order sorted out well and good (scale's a bit off but, that takes 2 seconds to correct);

Posted Image

That is sexy lookin right there.

User is offline   Sebastian 

Niiice. I like the scale, makes them look a bit more imposing.

This post has been edited by Rusty Nails: 10 May 2010 - 12:43 AM

User is offline   chicken 

• Fashionable Modeler

The tip of the thumb looks a little square...

This post has been edited by chicken: 10 May 2010 - 01:05 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

View Postchicken, on May 10 2010, 08:04 PM, said:

The tip of the thumb looks a little square...

You bet me to it, I was about to post that!

User is offline   Zaxtor 

this pic is very nice.
Looks a lot like STVOY
Borg about to get pwned.

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 10 May 2010 - 01:56 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Posted Image

Won this on eBay today. 5 bucks for a boxed copy of Duke in pretty good looking condition! For display purposes, of course.

User is offline   Sobek 

View PostTX, on May 11 2010, 12:47 PM, said:

Posted Image

Won this on eBay today. 5 bucks for a boxed copy of Duke in pretty good looking condition! For display purposes, of course.

Wow, you don't see that every day... A local store near me tends to sell lots of old classic games (in their big old boxes that probably required the milling of 5 trees to make), for very cheap prices. I occasionally duck in and grab a cheap classic. Also for display purposes.

Uh-oh...

Posted Image

*edit* Better shot (taken on my home PC and not my cruddy work machine);

Posted Image

They actually are quite freaky when you're trying to run around disabling forcefields and such, and the whole time they're crawling after you through the jeffries' tubes saying "RESISTANCE IS FUTILE" and making crazy machine noises :D

This post has been edited by Sobek: 11 May 2010 - 04:27 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Lol at first I thought that was some kind of bug :P

User is offline   Cage 

BORG SLIMERS! Guess the universe is pretty much screwed now :P

Looks like a totally new game, I like it, polymer lights also work really well.

User is offline   HellFire 

Just wanted to show that im working on somehting too (very slowly cuz college is taking all my time)

Posted Image

Its my medieval project, a bit overdetailed, a big city with that quantity of models will probably lag like hell, but i plan to make everything beautiful. Ive got weapons models ( for first person view) and some NPCs/Monsters models so i finally can work on something playable! I wont work on it again till mid-June/August though (because of college).

I've just throwed some ideas in the map, i dont even have an storyline or anything in mind (yet) :(

User is offline   Sobek 

View PostHellFire, on May 12 2010, 07:52 AM, said:

Just wanted to show that im working on somehting too (very slowly cuz college is taking all my time)

Posted Image

Its my medieval project, a bit overdetailed, a big city with that quantity of models will probably lag like hell, but i plan to make everything beautiful. Ive got weapons models ( for first person view) and some NPCs/Monsters models so i finally can work on something playable! I wont work on it again till mid-June/August though (because of college).

I've just throwed some ideas in the map, i dont even have an storyline or anything in mind (yet) :(

That looks fantastic. Are you sticking to the old 'nearest' texture filtering intentionally, if I may ask? Also, I take it that grass is composed of models - care to post a render of the model itself? It seems to do an excellent job, and the framerate doesn't seem to bad.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Looks a lot like the Cursed Lands II mod that Nikolas was working on.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7P2ks7IvoV8

User is offline   Cage 

Looks great, just my two concerns:

1. The leafs of the tree on the ground seem uninteresting and flat, the trees behind the wall look a lot better.

2. Building etc. look good but look a bit flat, guess that's a problem for most outdoors areas until we get some enviroment lighting capability (Making the sky actually light the area without placing giant spotlights etc.). Maybe you could try to bake an ambient occlusion pass to the textures? I guess the same goes for the Star Trek mod, except the area isn't too bright and those few lights hide this out pretty well (Refering to shots on this page only).

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

The trees will look flat depending of the angle. But if you look at the right side of the picture, you can see another one of the same tree.

User is offline   HellFire 

View PostSobek, on May 11 2010, 09:40 PM, said:

That looks fantastic. Are you sticking to the old 'nearest' texture filtering intentionally, if I may ask? Also, I take it that grass is composed of models - care to post a render of the model itself? It seems to do an excellent job, and the framerate doesn't seem to bad.

Well thats just an mapster shot, i dont remember which texture filtering mode i use in the game itself :( Indeed that grass model is really good, it also has an really good animation that looks like the wind is "shaking" its leafs. I can give it to you if you want? All credits to Nikolas(from his cursed lands mod) thats where i got it.

View PostThe Commander, on May 12 2010, 01:23 AM, said:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7P2ks7IvoV8

Thats where i got all my inspiration to actually work on this. When Nikolas abandoned that proejct i was really pissed off and then i decided to work on an similar mod. But i only ripped the skybox, grass model and the other tree model in the background( i reskined the tree though) otherwise it would look like an total ripoff :(

View PostCage, on May 12 2010, 05:32 AM, said:

Looks great, just my two concerns:

1. The leafs of the tree on the ground seem uninteresting and flat, the trees behind the wall look a lot better.

2. Building etc. look good but look a bit flat, guess that's a problem for most outdoors areas until we get some enviroment lighting capability (Making the sky actually light the area without placing giant spotlights etc.). Maybe you could try to bake an ambient occlusion pass to the textures? I guess the same goes for the Star Trek mod, except the area isn't too bright and those few lights hide this out pretty well (Refering to shots on this page only).

1. Nah theyre fine, its just the angle :(

2. Indeed, but other than what you said i dont know how to improve then.

• Honored Donor

I don't suppose you'll share the tree models as well? I'm working on a map based on a real life location and those would be really useful, especially accompanied with DEFs :(

This post has been edited by Micky C: 12 May 2010 - 02:23 PM

User is offline   Gambini 

View PostThe Commander, on May 12 2010, 01:23 AM, said:

Ditto.

Looks nice BTW

Wow HellFire, That looks amazing! :(

• Honored Donor

Time to breath some more life into this thread.

I've started working on my second pure Duke map (not including unfinished ones for other things). It's a space station themed level and I'm hoping to put in water areas, vegetaion areas, and even a city area in a 'holographic generator.' The plot is that aliens have started taking over the space station (oh no) and Duke, being a good sport and looking for a challenge, patiently stands by and waits for them to take over the entire area, just for fun, and then the carnage begins...

This should definitely end up being a lot more polished than my first map since I've learned quite a few things since then, mostly minor yet important things like that automatic texture alignment function omg how did I live without it...

Posted Image

This is the starting room. That thing outside rotates around the room.

Posted Image

The first hallway after teleporting onto the space station.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Nice Throne and kewl corridor.

• Honored Donor

Thanks Zaxtor.

Edit: pics removed.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 29 May 2010 - 01:43 AM

User is offline   Spiker 

You should know what is better for YOUR map. You shouldn't try to make the map appealing for other people but to express yourself. And one more thing you should never post screenshots of unfinished and not properly shaded areas (the corridor and the captain chair? look terrible without shading, it's fine only if you intend to make it this way (ugly)).

• Honored Donor

Lol, know I know why I shouldn't post these pictures :( Especially since I think they look reasonable considering the lack of shading/final details.

I only asked because I truely wan't sure but perhaps I'll have to decide something then. And now to follow your advice I'll remove the shots. If you're too late, don't worry you'll get to play it in a few months and see it first hand.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 29 May 2010 - 01:43 AM

Suppose I best show that it's not dead (though I thought I was going to be a while ago, that slowed things down a lot - but forget about that) so here's some pictures from my map, I've nearly finished the house now, once that's done it's on to the construction site, rent office or shops - which hopefully won't take as long.
Posted Image
The shower and sink on the upper floor, this room and the placement of the door are one of the few things that differ from the real building but I have my reasons.
Posted Image Posted Image
The kitchen is nearly finished, minus the server and mass amount of other computer junk that reside in there as I don't think there's a need to put that in and it would be too much work for very little gain.
Posted Image
No garden yet, but that's the back end of the house with all the windows in, if I want to be true to the real thing I should probably have one more small one from the kitchen. Oh, and I reckon I'll ditch the roof I had, it causes problems...

Sadly I have messed up the scale a tad by building everything the same as I did for Blood, so things will look a little big, luckily these houses look like that inside to the average height person anyway, so I guess I'll try to get it right for the rest of the map and try to cover up my mistakes in the house (Shhhhh, don't tell anyone).

This post has been edited by High Treason: 31 May 2010 - 12:56 PM

Looks quite nice High Treason =D

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

I've been working on this:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Maybe not obvious just from the screenshots. It's a cheap and dirty "portal" system. Still a work in progress. I'm at alpha version .03 right now, and when i get to .05 I'll probably release it as a mini mod. In the first screenshot the player is looking through the portal down the ceiling of another room, and vice versa. I might change how a few things work, and I have to add a few more features.

There's only one real issue so far (besides showview and polymer issues that I've already talked with Plagman about) and that's that EDuke32 doesn't treat a null texture from a showview as transparent and will show an HOM.

User is offline   Sobek 

View PostMblackwell, on Jun 1 2010, 09:05 AM, said:

I've been working on this:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Maybe not obvious just from the screenshots. It's a cheap and dirty "portal" system. Still a work in progress. I'm at alpha version .03 right now, and when i get to .05 I'll probably release it as a mini mod. In the first screenshot the player is looking through the portal down the ceiling of another room, and vice versa. I might change how a few things work, and I have to add a few more features.

There's only one real issue so far (besides showview and polymer issues that I've already talked with Plagman about) and that's that EDuke32 doesn't treat a null texture from a showview as transparent and will show an HOM.

Maybe it's because I'm still recovering from an insanely nasty stomach bug, but the second screenshot kinda makes my eyes feel funny :( (It's a good thing)

What do you mean by 'null' texture exactly? I was just thinking, what about using a solid black or white tile with the opacity set really low, like 1%... That way, it's still a 'tile' as such (and not just a 'null' one - if I understand what you mean by that), but it's so insignificantly opaque that it might aswell not be there, giving you your transparency.

Or am I totally wrong?

This post has been edited by Sobek: 02 June 2010 - 09:53 PM

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options