Duke4.net Forums: Alien Armageddon [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Armageddon [RELEASE]  "showcasing sebabdukeboss20 characters with some enhancements"

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 24 July 2019 - 06:21 AM, said:

Everyone's a critic. :dukecigar:
I made the angle match most of the vanilla sprite's position.

You are easily in the top 3 of the best artists I've seen in 20 years of modding, and probably #1 when it comes to amount of art actually produced. I'm just giving honest constructive criticism.

View PostRadar, on 24 July 2019 - 06:30 AM, said:

You are easily in the top 3 of the best artists I've seen in 20 years of modding, and probably #1 when it comes to amount of art actually produced. I'm just giving honest constructive criticism.

Okay I appreciate it. It's hard to see that in one brief sentence. Honestly it's a little tough finding the right angle. I guess you can say the vanilla Duke sprites weren't accurate either (which maybe true considering they weren't all made the same way). When I did 100s of weapons for AMC's graphical overhaul, I picked one angle and stuck with it. But the angle was a little too straight and some of the firearms, especially with scopes or large long guns make it hard to make out the detail. I may move it slightly to the left like you said in the future. Luckily AA doesn't have 200+ weapons.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Personally, I don't mind weapon angles being a little unrealistic if it allows for seeing the weapon better.

User is online   Ninety-Six 

View PostForge, on 24 July 2019 - 06:23 AM, said:

Why they "disappeared" should be the question asked. Maybe they teleport-cloaked, walked off, and never uncloaked.

If they activated early I suppose that's possible (I know it's not supposed to happen but both vanilla and AA enemies will sometimes activate way in advance for unknown reasons).

That being said though, even when they cloak they show up on the radar. I never saw anything like that, nor was I missing any kills when I got done (though I suppose that's not reliable. I forget, did AA implement Darkus' kill counter fix? Because if not that's almost definitely not reliable). Though at the same time, I do distinctly recall on several occassions that the troopers would cloak, go off somewhere that isn't towards me, and then just vanish. Like, they drop off the radar, the kill counter seems to call them dead, and they're just gone. Honestly, that's probably what happened, but it's never happened consistently and I have no idea what causes it.

• Duke Plus Developer

I did not implement Darkus' kill counter code.

In vanilla, enemies will activate when the player sees them, when they take damage, or if they are spawned by a RESPAWN sprite. In AA, they can also activate when in sight of certain sprites, such as the spark actor spawned by bullets. This could potentially cause an enemy to wander out of position before encountering the player. I have no explanation for why a cloaked trooper would fail to show up on radar -- the radar doesn't care whether an enemy is visible, and it even shows sleeping enemies that haven't been activated yet.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 24 July 2019 - 05:39 PM, said:

I did not implement Darkus' kill counter code.

In vanilla, enemies will activate when the player sees them, when they take damage, or if they are spawned by a RESPAWN sprite. In AA, they can also activate when in sight of certain sprites, such as the spark actor spawned by bullets. This could potentially cause an enemy to wander out of position before encountering the player. I have no explanation for why a cloaked trooper would fail to show up on radar -- the radar doesn't care whether an enemy is visible, and it even shows sleeping enemies that haven't been activated yet.

What happens when a cloaked trooper deactivates?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

This is going to require some investigation. I started the map (via mapster-test) down where the yellow keycard is. After I unlocked the door, I went right to the cafeteria - the troopers were gone.

Detailed investigation:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 24 July 2019 - 07:15 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

@Forge: I took the liberty of putting the content of your 3 posts into 1 and putting the investigation details under a spoiler tag. I'll look into it.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 24 July 2019 - 07:16 PM, said:

@Forge: I took the liberty of putting the content of your 3 posts into 1 and putting the investigation details under a spoiler tag. I'll look into it.

that fine.

here's some more things to add

Not all the troopers in the map wake up prematurely.
The two troopers in the cafeteria & one in the barracks wake up early, the other three in the barracks don't
I replaced the sprites with fresh sprites to eliminate any cstat or other issues they might have had. They still woke up early. I made another trooper from a fresh sprite and stuck it in a different room. It woke up early too.

This post has been edited by Forge: 24 July 2019 - 07:24 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

@Ninety-Six: To fix this bug, do the following. Open AADEFS.CON. Find the line "spriteflags GARFIELD 46145537" and change it to "spriteflags GARFIELD 12582912"

Posted Image

Posted Image

He was...staring into their souls and they did their best to escape the torment. I don't know what else to tell you. It's probably best not to talk about this any more.

So now that that's been settled, I'm wondering. Why was it decided to have only the vanilla enemies in the level?

I don't mind, now that I know that's the way it's supposed to be, but it is very curious.

User is offline   Forge 

upvoted because Dan is posting pics of naked women on the public forum

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNinety-Six, on 25 July 2019 - 04:21 AM, said:

So now that that's been settled, I'm wondering. Why was it decided to have only the vanilla enemies in the level?

I don't mind, now that I know that's the way it's supposed to be, but it is very curious.

Do you remember when you found the randomizer bug which caused the randomizer to turn back on after playing a level? When that bug was in effect, the level did have new enemies, thanks to the randomizer. After I fixed the bug, the new enemies went away, but no one complained until you noticed it. In the next release, there will be new enemies again, this time added manually.

View PostForge, on 25 July 2019 - 04:58 AM, said:

upvoted because Dan is posting pics of naked women on the public forum

Forgot to crop it; hopefully Blitz doesn't call me out for violating forum guidelines.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 25 July 2019 - 11:20 AM, said:

Do you remember when you found the randomizer bug which caused the randomizer to turn back on after playing a level? When that bug was in effect, the level did have new enemies, thanks to the randomizer. After I fixed the bug, the new enemies went away, but no one complained until you noticed it. In the next release, there will be new enemies again, this time added manually.

Ah. I suppose finding this stuff is a natural side-effect of playing AA so much.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 25 July 2019 - 11:20 AM, said:

Forgot to crop it; hopefully Blitz doesn't call me out for violating forum guidelines.

I did that once. I went on a screencap frenzy in Metro Mayhem's arcade to show my non-Duke-inclined friends all the jokes. This included the broken "Alienz Colonial Idiots" machine, and I 100% overlooked the three pictures of butts (2 of them bare) next to it.

Had fun explaining that one.

There are just so many jokes and references, often in the same room, that when you focus on one it's really easy to forget about the others you're catching in the same shot.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 25 July 2019 - 03:45 PM

User is offline   F!re-Fly 

Hello. A small question about the wreck of "RECON" how does it work in DAA? I wish I could find a way to add the carcass, when the RECON crushes on the ground.

Should I create a new actor, a new state?

Actor type RECON + wreck code

This post has been edited by Firefly Trooper: 27 July 2019 - 03:57 PM

User is offline   Marya 

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 24 July 2019 - 07:07 AM, said:

Okay I appreciate it. It's hard to see that in one brief sentence. Honestly it's a little tough finding the right angle. I guess you can say the vanilla Duke sprites weren't accurate either (which maybe true considering they weren't all made the same way). When I did 100s of weapons for AMC's graphical overhaul, I picked one angle and stuck with it. But the angle was a little too straight and some of the firearms, especially with scopes or large long guns make it hard to make out the detail. I may move it slightly to the left like you said in the future. Luckily AA doesn't have 200+ weapons.
you should see all the problems with the doom sprites XD

I haven't been here on the forums for a long time. Hope I didn't miss too much :dukecigar:

I heard Alien Armageddon's going to include a sequel for Duke it out in DC, is that still on the to-do list?

View Postdarkprince227, on 30 July 2019 - 03:55 AM, said:

I haven't been here on the forums for a long time. Hope I didn't miss too much :dukecigar:

I heard Alien Armageddon's going to include a sequel for Duke it out in DC, is that still on the to-do list?

Yes. 3.0 continues the story. And 4.0 will conclude it.

User is offline   Marya 

More fun stuff coming!! YAY :dukecigar:

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 30 July 2019 - 05:37 AM, said:

Yes. 3.0 continues the story. And 4.0 will conclude it.

Groovy! :dukecigar:
Always great to have something to look forward to. The fandom is what keeps Duke's legacy alive. Keep it up, lads

User is offline   Marya 

now Dual wielded laser pistols XD. Actually is that even possible, just making it like the devastator?

This post has been edited by Marya: 01 August 2019 - 12:41 AM

User is offline   SonicB00M 

Gmanlives was/is playing the mod the last couple of days. Get ready for a review which will probably boost the mod's popularity :dukecigar:

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Do you know if he happened to use the upscale option?

View PostSonicB00M, on 05 August 2019 - 07:35 AM, said:

Gmanlives was/is playing the mod the last couple of days. Get ready for a review which will probably boost the mod's popularity :dukecigar:

Yup. He contacted me for the poster. Did a quick search. Was it just a twitter post you saw?

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 05 August 2019 - 08:22 AM

User is offline   SonicB00M 

His Twitter status is saying 'Gmanlives is playing Alien Armageddon' and he posted a screenshot. I know nothing else.

User is offline   Loke 

I still gotta write mine. That'll be coming soon, now that I've truly finished it.

User is offline   Marya 

Ya i gotta say i didn't like the underwater level either but it wasn't as bad as sonic 2's underwater levels.

User is offline   MC84 

I thought the underwater level was great, much more enjoyable than Flood Zone (even though it's been MANY years since I've played it)

User is offline   razgriz 

I can't create a save file.

Any help?

I followed the instructions via readme and I'm unable to save my progress.

Share this topic:

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options