Duke4.net Forums: Duke 3D Voxel Pack - Duke4.net Forums

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D Voxel Pack

User is offline   Marya 

So fill me in is this an alternative to the HRP pack?

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

It's a different approach and not meant to compete with the HRP directly. Voxels are less detailed than models, so it's rather aiming for folks that would like to keep the classic look. Also, this doesn't come with any highres textures, it's about sprite replacements only.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 27 June 2019 - 08:16 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

IMO this is what a true HRP should be. Fox's skyboxes + Phredekee's upscaled sprites + Borion's voxels + SC55 pack are the perfect high res Duke experience. The actual HRP is an outdated hodj podj.

This post has been edited by Gaydar: 27 June 2019 - 08:29 AM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

I'm glad you like my upscales but they serve a different niche than the HRP, they're not directly comparable.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I'm not saying they are. Definitely not. What I'm saying is that your upscales improve the visuals of the original game while staying true to the classic look. They are technically "higher resolution". Maybe one day somebody could put all this stuff together in a "Classic HRP" of some sort, though maybe there would be a better name for it, like "Classic Visual Treatment" (CVT) or something.

This post has been edited by Gaydar: 27 June 2019 - 09:37 AM

User is offline   Marya 

Will the babes get this treatment as well and do voxels have multiple sides?

On that note will there be a comparible addition to the dukenudes pack for the girls?

Voxels by definition have multiple sides.

I don't think babes would work as voxels though. Not with the current faithfulness to the original sprites.

User is offline   Marya 

View PostPhredreeke, on 27 June 2019 - 10:09 AM, said:

Voxels by definition have multiple sides.

I don't think babes would work as voxels though. Not with the current faithfulness to the original sprites.
don't see why not ,but -shrug-

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Suggestion for another voxel: The gunpowder barrel (4360) that's in Babe Land. This tile is used frequently in StrikerDM, and would help make them fit perfectly with the other explosives.

Others:

680 - Folding Chair.
556/557 - Desk Chair. (This one is in desperate need of voxelization, considering it only has front/back angles)
694/695 - Pot and Saucepan.

This post has been edited by Striker: 27 June 2019 - 09:34 PM

User is offline   Borion 

@Striker

4360, 556/557 - I will take care of them

View PostMarya, on 27 June 2019 - 05:39 PM, said:

don't see why not ,but -shrug-

See Reaperman's post about voxelized enemies. That said, I think the sentry drones and slimers would work well as the former is mechanical in nature while the latter is a pile of goo. Anything humanoid will be tough though - the best candidate IMO would be the geishas in Raw Meat as they're meant to be artificial.

User is offline   Borion 

View PostPhredreeke, on 28 June 2019 - 05:17 AM, said:

See Reaperman's post about voxelized enemies. That said, I think the sentry drones and slimers would work well as the former is mechanical in nature while the latter is a pile of goo. Anything humanoid will be tough though - the best candidate IMO would be the geishas in Raw Meat as they're meant to be artificial.

Just add my 2 cents, as You write geishas and sentry drones are a good material for voxelization. I already started working on them some time ago and hope to finish after I'm done with all barrels and most popular decorative elements.

User is offline   Borion 

View PostStriker, on 27 June 2019 - 08:54 PM, said:

Suggestion for another voxel: The gunpowder barrel (4360) that's in Babe Land. This tile is used frequently in StrikerDM, and would help make them fit perfectly with the other explosives.

Here you are, Striker :D

Posted Image
KVX: https://mega.nz/#!9j...n5fUlF-Ei-PRgMk
voxel "voxels/props/4360_gunpowderbarrel.kvx" { tile 4360 }

This post has been edited by Lunick: 04 July 2019 - 07:35 PM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostBorion, on 28 June 2019 - 10:05 AM, said:

Here you are, Striker :D

Posted Image
KVX: https://mega.nz/#!9j...n5fUlF-Ei-PRgMk
voxel "voxels/props/4360_gunpowderbarrel.kvx" { tile 4360 }

Excellent! Thank you very much. I appreciate this a ton.

User is offline   Jmoc 

View PostBorion, on 28 June 2019 - 05:26 AM, said:

Just add my 2 cents, as You write geishas and sentry drones are a good material for voxelization. I already started working on them some time ago and hope to finish after I'm done with all barrels and most popular decorative elements.

Quick suggestion: the hoop rivets should be more pronounced on the voxel, they feel kind of flat when compared to the sprite, just a little bit should be enough!

This post has been edited by Jmoc: 29 June 2019 - 12:53 AM

User is offline   stranger 

+1 to Jmoc's suggestion. I think you could make the row of pix...er, voxels underneath each metal ring slightly darker, to simulate some depth and buckling. Or maybe they already are, and it's hard to notice from the viewing angle.

User is offline   Borion 

View PostStriker, on 28 June 2019 - 03:41 PM, said:

Excellent! Thank you very much. I appreciate this a ton.

I know it will be put to a good use, glad I could help! :D

View PostJmoc, on 29 June 2019 - 12:52 AM, said:

Quick suggestion: the hoop rivets should be more pronounced on the voxel, they feel kind of flat when compared to the sprite, just a little bit should be enough!

I'm afraid 'a little bit' is not possible - there is no "half voxel", and rivets sticking out were too much IMHO. But I will see definitely look into it & see what can be done.
But I would rather not make them too big. Rivets shouldn't stop barrel from rolling - that is super important for this type of container.

View Poststranger, on 29 June 2019 - 05:06 AM, said:

+1 to Jmoc's suggestion. I think you could make the row of pix...er, voxels underneath each metal ring slightly darker, to simulate some depth and buckling. Or maybe they already are, and it's hard to notice from the viewing angle.

I will make the shadow underneath metal rings more pronounced.
Left original, right voxel model:
Posted Image
By the way, original sprite is quite irregular. It is not symmetrical and has a lot of noise. Thats why those above have slightly different shape.
Also the metal ring on original can't as thick on voxel model, it was looking ridiculously unrealistic when observed from angle or from top.

User is offline   Perro Seco 

Your voxel looks good enough. I don't think it needs any modification.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I think it's fairly accurate as well, the original art isn't so great itself as previously mentioned.

User is offline   Mark 

Yeah, its already got a bunghole and a plug. What more could you ask for. :D I think its fine as-is.

User is offline   Borion 

Thanks for feedback guys!

User is offline   Borion 

Vacuum cleaner (0669)

Posted Image
KVX: https://mega.nz/#!tj...UjZqSfxvEPTRLkM
voxel "voxels/props/0669_vacuumcl.kvx" { tile 669 }

View PostBorion, on 29 June 2019 - 06:54 AM, said:

Posted Image
By the way, original sprite is quite irregular. It is not symmetrical and has a lot of noise. Thats why those above have slightly different shape.
Also the metal ring on original can't as thick on voxel model, it was looking ridiculously unrealistic when observed from angle or from top.

They looks tasty too, if you scroll the page down fast, they may looks like chocolate cakes.

User is offline   Borion 

Just don’t eat them, Battlelord! These are not cookies or humans!

User is offline   Borion 

Need few tiny adjustments before release
Posted Image

User is offline   Marya 

Spoiler
is that what that was? i always thought it was some wierd medical device...

This post has been edited by Marya: 02 July 2019 - 09:00 PM

User is offline   Borion 

View PostMarya, on 02 July 2019 - 08:53 PM, said:

Spoiler
is that what that was? i always thought it was some wierd medical device...

Yes, it has vibe of sci-fi medical device. I think they made it this way, because standard vacuum cleaner would only fit city levels.

That poor guy looking trough the window, I always wondered if he is still alive.
Posted Image

User is offline   Jmoc 

View PostBorion, on 02 July 2019 - 03:51 AM, said:

Need few tiny adjustments before release
Posted Image

This is exactly how I imagined the shrinker to be. Nailed it!

User is offline   Borion 

Here comes Shrinker and - in case someone wants to use it in some mod - Expander.

Shrinker (0025)
Posted Image
KVX: https://mega.nz/#!c3...tkAsIfMXXRHBd4U
voxel "voxels/pickups/0025_shrinker.kvx" { tile 25 }

Expander (0032)
Posted Image
KVX: https://mega.nz/#!Qy..._2CtsWkNyYNW53I
voxel "voxels/pickups/0032_shrinker.kvx" { tile 32 }

My interpretation of Expander ammo, looking more like a 'shrinker-to-expander conversion kit'. I think that was idea behind original graphic, but someone in 3D Realms responsible for cleaning sprite screwed structure of objects (my theory :D). Below crude drawing to illustrate what I mean:
Posted Image

Expander Ammo aka growammo (0045)
Posted Image
KVX: https://mega.nz/#!Ru...6Vatd-mcCrKyTfE

This post has been edited by Lunick: 04 July 2019 - 07:30 PM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Awesome! I think we are now only missing the Atomic Health from all the pickups, then they are all done. Never thought I would live to see that day.

Share this topic:

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options