Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   Borion 

Great stuff, people! Very inspiring <_<

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Posted Image

User is offline   Mark 

Looks good. Now I can see why you were asking earlier for maps with subway examples.
With the floor grating that wide there are going to be a lot of broken ankles and dropped cellphones at the bottom. :D

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Maybe it's just because it's a subway, but that reminds me a lot of Time to Kill's subway for some reason...

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 07 June 2019 - 11:07 AM

User is offline   Perro Seco 

With that texture selection reminds me of that map I named in the other thread, which is great because as I said is one of my all time favourites.

By the way, will that train be a mobile sector? I ask because it looks like there's some spritework there, and if I remember correctly, the latest builds of EDuke32 also move sprites.

View Postbrullov, on 07 June 2019 - 09:13 AM, said:

Posted Image

Max Payne flash backs intensify

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostPerro Seco, on 07 June 2019 - 11:22 AM, said:

With that texture selection reminds me of that map I named in the other thread, which is great because as I said is one of my all time favourites.

By the way, will that train be a mobile sector? I ask because it looks like there's some spritework there, and if I remember correctly, the latest builds of EDuke32 also move sprites.

Yep, it's a mobile sector, train moves Posted Image

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Worked on one of the hub of the Oblivion E6L2 or Temple Pyramid level.
The stone Hub.

A cool trick with platform that are heat sensor sensitive

View PostZaxtor, on 08 June 2019 - 01:40 AM, said:

Worked on one of the hub of the Oblivion E6L2 or Temple Pyramid level.
The stone Hub.

A cool trick with platform that are heat sensor sensitive
https://www.youtube....h?v=noWqCeReID4

With such a soundtrack, jumping on platforms has never felt so epic !

BTW I think I already saw that kind of trick in DukePlus and Imperium (the latter having made a more thorough exploitation of it) .... Maybe the new Oblivion will make an even more thorough exploitation of it ?

This post has been edited by TheDragonLiner: 08 June 2019 - 04:27 AM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 08 June 2019 - 04:26 AM, said:

With such a soundtrack, jumping on platforms has never felt so epic !

BTW I think I already saw that kind of trick in DukePlus and Imperium (the latter having made a more thorough exploitation of it) .... Maybe the new Oblivion will make an even more thorough exploitation of it ?

probably
I love making tricks in the mod etc.

First time I made that was in Dark Temple, my second Polymer based usermap.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Imperium and Dukeplus make additional sprite platforms appear with the night vision goggles, they don’t take platforms away.

I’ve never been a big fan of tricky platforming, including having to press a button mid-jump like this. I’m sure some people are though.

User is offline   Mark 

Then you must have hated putting those fancy jump pads in your WGR2 map. :D

User is online   ck3D 

View Postbrullov, on 08 June 2019 - 12:10 AM, said:

Yep, it's a mobile sector, train moves Posted Image

Awesome. Screenshot is looking really good. Mood is on point, normally I maybe would point out the absence of strong lighting but I'm sure it's supposed to be a dark place, and it's looking really gloomy right now. I'm loving your use of the textures, and trim work. Looking forward to playing this.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 08 June 2019 - 04:44 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMark, on 08 June 2019 - 03:35 PM, said:

Then you must have hated putting those fancy jump pads in your WGR2 map. :D

The map that barely has anything in it that I played around with years ago? Yep. The pads didn’t work.

View PostMicky C, on 08 June 2019 - 02:41 PM, said:

Imperium and Dukeplus make additional sprite platforms appear with the night vision goggles, they don't take platforms away.

I've never been a big fan of tricky platforming, including having to press a button mid-jump like this. I'm sure some people are though.

Personally I don't necessarily mind tricky platforming, as long as it kinda makes sense (for instance I didn't like finding them in the first part of the Akrozis in Trequonia because it wasn't credible to me as I had explained there) and it doesn't heavily requires the use of diagonals (either voluntarily or not). If there's a margin then it's okay, like in Zaxtor's AMC maps for instance.

However I agree that pressing switches in flight can be tedious sometimes. YET, fortunately, Zaxtor NEVER tried to put a switch to push in flight BETWEEN 2 platforms, now THAT would be trully horrible to pull off !

This post has been edited by TheDragonLiner: 08 June 2019 - 10:39 PM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

switch between 2 platforms would be insanely hard.
especially over death pit.

Switch and platform I made we walk at tip of platform (dock or jump straight up to press)

never jump between and mid air pressing switch.

if is a non-death pit and is to open a secret to get strong weap then is more understandable.

PS night vision thing is easier.
You select to press enter in midair and you don't need to be in certain position to press it.

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 09 June 2019 - 06:38 AM

User is offline   quakis 

View Postbrullov, on 07 June 2019 - 09:13 AM, said:

Posted Image

The architectural simplicity and clean texturing definitely help make this scene. Based on what's shown, my only issue is the monotonous lighting; a bright contrast coming off a single light source and/or have strong shadows cast if sector construction allows it could be enough to boost the atmosphere here immensely, perhaps to emphasis the lack of powered lights elsewhere or to draw the player's focus somewhere (whichever is suitable).

User is offline   Mark 

Having to deal with sprites and sectors for shading/lighting is why I chose Polymer for my first project and every one since then. Its the easy way. :D But if I had textures with "built-in" lighting like Redneck Rampage has I would be more likely to try the sector route.

• Senior Artist at TGK

View Postquakis, on 12 June 2019 - 07:39 AM, said:

The architectural simplicity and clean texturing definitely help make this scene. Based on what's shown, my only issue is the monotonous lighting; a bright contrast coming off a single light source and/or have strong shadows cast if sector construction allows it could be enough to boost the atmosphere here immensely, perhaps to emphasis the lack of powered lights elsewhere or to draw the player's focus somewhere (whichever is suitable).

Thanks for the advice. I've already reworked the lighting of this scene. Anyway, I am still trying to find my personal style of shading, which is somewhere between realistic and dark, monotone mood.

• Senior Artist at TGK

So I've just discovered how to add 3d effect to images...

Posted Image

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Nice
reminds me of some animated gif that were posted on facebook that does the 3d animated effect etc

User is offline   Mark 

Yeah, I saw that effect done with a fat redneck woman with no teeth and her mouth wide open.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Made a storing room that is filled with metal containers.
One are held by chains (diagonal chains)
For E1L6
Posted Image

It looks like Borion's new voxels are already put to good use !

User is offline   pmw 

View PostZaxtor, on 16 June 2019 - 10:18 PM, said:

For E1L6

Sloped transparent texture, how? Is it a ceiling or sprite? Some TROR stuff?

User is offline   Zaxtor 

View Postpmw, on 17 June 2019 - 10:41 AM, said:

Sloped transparent texture, how? Is it a ceiling or sprite? Some TROR stuff?

Is a voxel, diagonal.
used Qubicle to tilt it and also for horizontal.
has invisible sprite so when you walk on the chain you go up diagonally (like a slope)

User is offline   Borion 

@Zaxtor @Brulov
Fantastic mapping work guys! Both in terms of structure and texture work!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Haven't done anything with Build in a long time

View PostZaxtor, on 16 June 2019 - 10:18 PM, said:

For E1L6
Posted Image

God damn
It looks like Half Life 2

User is offline   Mark 

Over the last 5 years or so I have made attempts to try and learn to model with Blender instead of the ancient Misfit program I have been using. With a program called Blender for Artists I finally made a breakthrough and so far I have figured out how to do simple modeling. I never got this far other times I tried in regular Blender. BFA takes the latest 2.8 version of Blender and combines it with a more user friendly interface. Blender is still a complicated program with a half million features but at least I can figure out the basics with a little help from my old buddy TeaMonster.

I needed a small project to start with and I chose the fusebox for the HRP that still uses a sprite. I thought all those boxes were models already. This is the one that has an intact and broken version with the 3 frame animated sparks. There are 2 more boxes and some pipes and wires to make. This is early WIP. It has a couple small but easy to fix mistakes so far but I'm so happy to finally be learning Blender I had to share it.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: fusebox blender.jpg

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options