Duke4.net Forums: SIGIL - Duke4.net Forums

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SIGIL  "Split from "John Romero and Adrian Carmack's new FPS""

View PostReaperAA, on 04 June 2019 - 03:31 AM, said:

Even Eviternity? I can understand that AA or Valiant is not everyone's cup of tea. But Eviternity is really good with a variety of ideas, asthetics and combat situations. Its also much easier and managable than the other 2. If u are capable of beating Plutonia on UV, then u can beat Eviternity on HMP without any problems.

The new enemies are super annoying, though; I can tolerate the Nightmare Demon and the grey Cacodemon thing, but the Cyber-Baron (Annihilator?) is just so goddamn cheap. As much as I was enjoying the custom textures and settings, I had to give up on the megawad after it introduced a regular enemy that has both the Cyberdemon's rocket launcher and the Spider Mastermind's Chaingun...

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 04 June 2019 - 02:09 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostGingis Khan, on 04 June 2019 - 01:34 PM, said:

I even found E5M4 crusher maze a bit funny rather than frustrating.

That's the best attitude to have and I think the overall level design supports that too. I can get frustrated rather easily when something blatantly cheap happens but with Sigil when a trap got me I was just like "oh fuck, you got me there" because most of them are placed in a smart way and can be expected. It never felt like that I was killed off randomly but rather that I got punished for letting my guard down.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

The trolling is strong... here's the GmanLives compatibility patch:

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 04 June 2019 - 03:45 PM

User is offline   NNC 

View PostNightFright, on 04 June 2019 - 01:09 PM, said:

Mind that if you find all the secrets, you get the chaingun, rocket launcher and BFG (not sure about plasma gun) one level earlier. Romero put a lot of emphasis on exploration and secrets in this episode, and knowing where the good stuff is hidden can make a big difference. This is an insight you don't get from just one playthrough, so at least some of the negative first impressions came a bit too early maybe.

There were a lot of negativity towards Sigil early on, but people start to appreciate it as I see. It's just classic Romero like E4M2 and E4M6, but with better leveldesign, and more favorable difficulty curve. At this moment I struggle to see how any of the official episodes (particularly 2, 3 and 4) are better than Sigil. IMHO Sigil is clearly the best all around episode right now in UDoom, closely followed by the very entertaining, but often repetitive E1 episode. I hope Romero remakes that one day, not just the two levels, but the rest of it as well.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 05 June 2019 - 12:00 AM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

View PostZaxx, on 04 June 2019 - 03:44 PM, said:

The trolling is strong... here's the GmanLives compatibility patch:
[video]

I think like that he could even beat it on UV.

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 04 June 2019 - 01:53 PM, said:

The new enemies are super annoying, though; I can tolerate the Nightmare Demon and the grey Cacodemon thing, but the Cyber-Baron (Annihilator?) is just so goddamn cheap. As much as I was enjoying the custom textures and settings, I had to give up on the megawad after it introduced a regular enemy that has both the Cyberdemon's rocket launcher and the Spider Mastermind's Chaingun...

Annihilators are annoying if u don't know how to deal with them. Once u learn how to fight them, they are not that hard (I mean they are still hard but not frustrating). They first fire a rocket and then fire their chaingun. If u time it right, u can take pot shots + dodge their rocket and take cover before they fire their chaingun. Annihilators can also Infight each other.

Also there are far lesser amount of Annihilators on HNTR and HMP as opposed to UV.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I don't like new enemies mostly because of the same reasons johnnythewolf mentioned: somehow most of them always end up worse than the original monster set. They are not as well designed, they can feel cheap and visually most of them are palette swap versions of originals or some assets ripped from another game so they don't fit. And really Doom 2's monster set is pretty much perfect, they cover all the bases so I never wanted more enemy variety, mechanically everything you could want is there.

Also I just don't like when map makers mess with well established stuff. Take Eviternity for example and how it fucks with the established game balance. Why does the pistol fire faster? Why does some projectiles do more damage than they are supposed to? For no fucking reason, that's why.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 05 June 2019 - 03:33 AM

Anyone want to tell me how I'm SUPPOSED to get down to the stupid Invincibility Sphere to "properly" end the level?

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

By using your brain! Never fails.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I've been playing off and on for a bit now and I gotta say I'm enjoying it. I like the level design. I don't even mind the lighting. It's all very atmospheric and blood-pumping. The lighting effects he uses when certain enemies appear in the shadows or in very dark areas but with bright pulsing textures behind to show the silhouettes and everything were all very effective to me. I'm on level 6 now. Ran into that spot where the room is dully lit but then when you enter it goes pitch black except for that one side of a pillar or something and Cacodemons appear. Freaking effective indeed and I didn't really feel like it was unfair at all. Just challenging.

I'm only playing on Hurt Me Plenty and it's been a great time so far. Not too easy and not too hard. Punishing when it needs to be and when I make silly mistakes. Really keeps you on your toes. I like it. I'm enjoying myself. So far I really liked that Abbadon's Void level. I like the effects for the lightning (and the fact that the MIDI soundtrack uses the Gunshot GM patch in low pitches to simulate the lightning sounds, that's a nice touch indeed.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 05 June 2019 - 06:02 AM

• The Truth is in here

@Major Tom
When I see anyone play any level with explicit nojump restrictions like that, jumping off a ledge, skipping all the triggers AND then wondering why things don't work the way they should... there's just one thing left to do:

Posted Image

Since it's revealed how it works below...
Spoiler

This post has been edited by NightFright: 05 June 2019 - 06:28 AM

View PostNightFright, on 05 June 2019 - 06:06 AM, said:

@Major Tom
When I see anyone play any level with explicit nojump restrictions like that, jumping off a ledge, skipping all the triggers AND then wondering why things don't work the way they should... there's just one thing left to do:

Posted Image

Since it's revealed how it works below...
Spoiler

Thanks for not taking the "git gud" route with your response....

Spoiler

Part 6 will have me play through the level properly.

Also, which level has the way to the secret level in it?

• The Truth is in here

Glad you didn't take my response the hard way. The level is quite dark (like many others in this episode), so missing the staircase up to the spot where you have to start jumping across to the next areas is unfortunately not too difficult.

I had provided some hints about how to reach the secret level in an earlier post from May 28.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 05 June 2019 - 07:21 AM

User is offline   NNC 

View PostZaxx, on 05 June 2019 - 03:06 AM, said:

I don't like new enemies mostly because of the same reasons johnnythewolf mentioned: somehow most of them always end up worse than the original monster set. They are not as well designed, they can feel cheap and visually most of them are palette swap versions of originals or some assets ripped from another game so they don't fit. And really Doom 2's monster set is pretty much perfect, they cover all the bases so I never wanted more enemy variety, mechanically everything you could want is there.

Also I just don't like when map makers mess with well established stuff. Take Eviternity for example and how it fucks with the established game balance. Why does the pistol fire faster? Why does some projectiles do more damage than they are supposed to? For no fucking reason, that's why.

This.

Every kind of monster appears in D2:
- Simple pistolman
- Shotgunner
- Chaingunner
- Flame hitscanner (additionally a resurrector)
- Easy projectile shooter
- Medium projectile shooter
- Hard projectile shooter
- Flying projectile shooter
- Spreading projectile shooter
- Homing projectile shooter
- Fast projectile shooter
- Melee attacker
- Flying melee attacker
- Monster generator (also flies)
- Invisible melee attacker
- Hitscanner boss
- Projectile (rocket) boss

What can be added really?

A SSG Trooper? That would be too dangerous and unfair, he has to be very weak. Or a boss.
A Rocket Zombie? Do we need another Imp? Or even a paper Cyberdemon?
Flyer hitscanners? That actually can work, but do we need it? Maybe a boss....

The only void area in D2 is jumping/bouncing, which includes a bouncing weapon like the pipebomb, and a jumping monster like the Enforcer. That would be interesting, but not really part of Doom, and most of these fanworks don't deal with them as well.

Another thing I don't like is the pistol. It should be upgraded to a Sniper gun, means no monster alarm when it fires, and more power with more ammo usage (also slower).

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMajor Tom, on 05 June 2019 - 06:45 AM, said:

I saw the Invincibility Sphere, and figured "oh, I can jump since it's a source-port, I'll do that!"

Why though? It's a vanilla map pack so it's using original mechanics = jumping will break the maps. When I said that you should use your brain I did not mean it as a "git gud comment", I meant what I wrote. If you think about it you will realize that you must have made a mistake in your exploration and from there you can just check what you've missed, you can bring up the map and see where your blind spots are and bam, you will find what you're searching for without any kind of external help. Getting there without others spelling it out is a much better experience than following a walkthrough so have some freakin' patience.

Also: I think that the fact that you've made a whole Youtube video where you spend a significant amount of time calling out the map designer instead of owning up to your mistake and searching for the solution just tells a great story on why you shouldn't treat Youtube as a platform where you can "make your voice heard". You just can't provide meaningful criticism without having an understanding of the gameplay content and most of the time that understanding comes after beating the damn thing. Instead adding any kind of insight you just come off as bitchy and you should ask yourself if anyone would respect that attitude. I think not.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 05 June 2019 - 07:50 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNancsi, on 05 June 2019 - 07:41 AM, said:

Another thing I don't like is the pistol. It should be upgraded to a Sniper gun, means no monster alarm when it fires, and more power with more ammo usage (also slower).

The 2016 game solved the pistol problem pretty well by making it a chargeable weapon, that's what I'd like to see in wads where the dev feels the need to touch weapon balance.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 05 June 2019 - 07:59 AM

View PostZaxx, on 05 June 2019 - 07:48 AM, said:

Why though? It's a vanilla map pack so it's using original mechanics = jumping will break the maps. When I said that you should use your brain I did not mean it as a "git gud comment", I meant what I wrote. If you think about it you will realize that you must have made a mistake in your exploration and from there you can just check what you've missed, you can bring up the map and see where your blind spots are and bam, you will find what you're searching for without any kind of external help. Getting there without others spelling it out is a much better experience than following a walkthrough so have some freakin' patience.

Also: I think that the fact that you've made a whole Youtube video where you spend a significant amount of time calling out the map designer instead of owning up to your mistake and searching for the solution just tells a great story on why you shouldn't treat Youtube as a platform where you can "make your voice heard". You just can't provide meaningful criticism without having an understanding of the gameplay content and most of the time that understanding comes after beating the damn thing. Instead adding any kind of insight you just come off as bitchy and you should ask yourself if anyone would respect that attitude. I think not.

My next video will address those issues, as well as show me beating the level the correct way on Hurt Me Plenty.

User is offline   Sanek 

Just finished playing Sigil. Some random thoughts:

- Played on UV right from the start, keyboard only. It's hard, but not to the point of being unbeatable.

- As far as design is concerned, Romero absolutely nailed it! The hell never looked...hellier than this.

- Probably the only place in the whole wad that I don't like is the small room with a pit in E5M7, near the very end of the map. Stupid, annoying and very frustraiting.

- Also don't like the way to the yellow key on the secret level. You have to press the door for it in order to get to it.

- The last map feels very anti-climatic.

Despite some very minor flaws, Sigil was a great expierence. I like Doom wads that embrace the whole Hell theme, and Sigil is probably the second best for me right now - my favorite wad for Doom (period? almost there) is No End in Sight.

View PostNancsi, on 05 June 2019 - 07:41 AM, said:

What can be added really?

I would not mind a mini-Archvile (the Vile?) that primarily acts as a healer but lacks a strong hitscan attack as well as a chainsaw-wielding zombie.

A third (fourth, if you include Doom 64's Mother Demon) type of boss would also be nice; I do not really consider the Icon of Sin to be that, as it is more of a shootable decoration than an actual monster.

View PostSanek, on 05 June 2019 - 01:10 PM, said:

I like E5M8 far more than E5M7, but what I just do not get about it is what Romero was thinking when he decided to place an Invincibility Sphere right on the exit teleporter.

Because of that, I did not get to kill the Cyberdemon and I also missed the final secret.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 05 June 2019 - 03:48 PM

User is offline   NNC 

View PostSanek, on 05 June 2019 - 01:10 PM, said:

- Also don't like the way to the yellow key on the secret level. You have to press the door for it in order to get to it.

Yeah, I haven't see reports from this, but that segment in the secret level is total BS. I was stuck for like 5 minutes before I needlessly went to the yellow door to open up the switches to yellow key. It was confusing and unnecessary. The whole level was something like a fanwork, didn't have the polish and strength of the other levels. Also what's up with the visor on that level? It's already a bright one without good use of shadows, but to light it up entirely? That last area looked absolutely terrible with it. But the worst part was the Cybie, it was very annoying.

The final level was a bit anticlimatic, but I love that map. It looks gorgeous, and almost felt like "okay, you worked hard to reach this place, you deserve some rest and more eyecandy here".

• The Truth is in here

I think many, if not all, lightamp visors only appear on ITYTD and HNTR. Some dark areas really get harder without them. But it's true, this powerup doesn't make maps look nicer in general.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostNightFright, on 06 June 2019 - 08:26 AM, said:

I think many, if not all, lightamp visors only appear on ITYTD and HNTR. Some dark areas really get harder without them. But it's true, this powerup doesn't make maps look nicer in general.

No, it appears on HMP and UV as well in the secret level.

I said my next video would be an apology for part 5.....the title should make it clear that I wasn't kidding.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

And then there's this nutter:

Pistol start UV -fast.

my god

• The Truth is in here

Come on, we all knew it wouldn't take long before we see sick sh*t like that. There are too many gamer psychos out there.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 07 June 2019 - 11:11 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNinety-Six, on 07 June 2019 - 11:09 AM, said:

And then there's this nutter:

Pistol start UV -fast.

my god

Fast ultra violence? How can I enable this? This looks like pure ADRENALINE! :D

• The Truth is in here

You simply launch the game with the -fast parameter.

Quote from the Doom wiki:
"The fast monsters parameter makes monsters attack more often, increases the speed of demons and spectres, and makes demonic fireballs faster than usual."

It's Doom on Adderall basically and can even spice up low difficulty modes.

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostNinety-Six, on 07 June 2019 - 11:09 AM, said:

And then there's this nutter

He's Dutch, being nuts comes with the territory.

UV fast monsters is my preferred way of playing the original Doom 1 & 2 levels, but I probably wouldn't try it on anything more challenging (including Thy Flesh Consumed).

Increasing the speed of demons and spectres seems like a bad idea, as their pathfinding is already not the best and as such they move like headless chicken. Plus they just look ridiculous moving this fast; you might as well play while listening to the Benny Hill theme song!

Is there not another command that makes enemies more aggressive without increasing their movement speed?

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 07 June 2019 - 01:42 PM

The secret level. Apologies for not showing how to reach it...that'll probably be Part 9.

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options