• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View PostZaxx, on 04 June 2019 - 12:27 PM, said:

Honestly I don't think that was a good decision because now you have a lawsuit against you where their only point that could end in their favor is the similarity of the title... and to be frank I'm 99.9999% sure that you'll lose the title.

Yeah, agreed honestly. Suing is an aggressive act and if your first move is to make concessions, they'll just keep moving forward. Giving up the trademark gave legitimacy to their claims.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

To be clear: I did not mean giving up the trademark (though that's a weird one for sure too since having your title trademarked is really fucking useful for brand / franchise building but guess 3DR has Bombshell for that... lol), I meant not caving in and not changing the title because if 3DR / VP can - and will - lose something with the lawsuit it's the title.

• banned!

I just don't get the "act of goodwill" in this case. It's like if someone punches you in the face and explains they were only doing it because you were so ugly and have no friends and your response is "well, it's true - I am actually quite hideous". When all their claims are essentially bogus, you can't make concessions on just one, hoping to appease the aggressor, because you're essentially validating their reality, which unfortunately in matters of law is entirely subjective and up to the whim's of whoever's interpreting it. Psychology really matters here.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

They were just complaining about the name and logo at that point and hadn't progressed to making up stories about the origins of the character yet.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Too bad for them that the character has 2 decades of documented development history as its origin, huh?

Really the "they ripped us off entirely" part of their argument is really fucking weak because IM is a retro shooter = every aspect of its origin is clear as daylight and supported by a ton of evidence.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 04 June 2019 - 03:23 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostTerminX, on 03 June 2019 - 02:22 PM, said:

This is actually not true--in court, the correspondence would be "EXHIBIT X" and nobody would be drawing conclusions based on what they imagined it said.

Very well.
You have enough things on your mind than to deal with some rando idiot on the internet.

I wish you, your family, and your development team the best of luck. I hope things turn out in your favor. Really, I do.

• banned!

View PostTerminX, on 04 June 2019 - 02:26 PM, said:

They were just complaining about the name and logo at that point and hadn't progressed to making up stories about the origins of the character yet.

It's hard to be prepared for these things, but that's how these power games work pretty much. Not saying they would've just gone away had you not relented, but it could've been a little less messy. I mean it's like fucking school bullies, they'll keep pushing you and you keep moving back, until you're completely cornered. The best time to fight back was at the moment they decided to mess with you.

Anyway, I too wish you good luck.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Well, at the end of the day it's all about getting the game out of the door. If it's required to rename it for that, so be it.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I'm not concerned about them changing the name. Iron Maiden is outright fabricating shit with no proof. That will fall apart if this goes to court.

They're in the wrong.

User is offline   Tekedon 

View PostNightFright, on 05 June 2019 - 09:14 AM, said:

If it's required to rename it for that, so be it.

Third time's the charm then, maybe? :D Wasn't it called something else before Ion Maiden?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Not that I know of?

User is offline   Jim 

So I wanted to ask, is Ion Maiden going to have texture filtering? Please at least have this as an option. I know that some people prefer the smooth graphics. Thanks!

• The Sarien Encounter

Doesn't the current demo already have that?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 05 June 2019 - 01:07 PM

• Judge Mental

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 05 June 2019 - 01:03 PM, said:

Doesn't the current demo already have that?

Yeeep.

Wait, there is a demo available? Or are you just referring to the Early Access campaign?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I had a look for the option yesterday and couldn't see texture filtering. This was the steam version.

I assume he meant early access.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 05 June 2019 - 02:45 PM

Bummer. :D

• The Sarien Encounter

It's not just for Early Access adopters but also people who own Bombshell Deluxe. Course, we don't get all the LATEST updates that Early Access peeps get.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Oh yeah I forgot about the deluxe situation. I guess that sort of is a demo, in that you only get the initial early access campaign, not the heskel house of horrors nor the full version on release. Not sure whether you get maintenance updates or not.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Correct, updates for the people who purchased the deluxe version of Bombshell ended a while back. That version still has texture filtering, but the performance optimizations that prevent filtering from working now hadn't been done yet so the experience is poorer overall.

We do plan to support it in the full version but it hasn't been a high priority because it's not the intended experience.

User is offline   Master O 

View PostTerminX, on 05 June 2019 - 04:50 PM, said:

Correct, updates for the people who purchased the deluxe version of Bombshell ended a while back. That version still has texture filtering, but the performance optimizations that prevent filtering from working now hadn't been done yet so the experience is poorer overall.

We do plan to support it in the full version but it hasn't been a high priority because it's not the intended experience.

Is the lawsuit going to delay the full release of Ion Maiden? I can't say I'm the only one who is concerned about that.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It's a valid concern, but also an unfair question to publicly ask the team, really. I'm not speaking for them, but just think about it for a second. Of course the team wants to release it as soon as possible but once lawsuits hit, anything can happen. They might have an idea of how the lawsuit will effect things going forward. But they can't really know until the game and/or the lawsuit are complete. Just hope for the best and spread the gospel; this lawsuit is bogus.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

An ongoing lawsuit shouldn't really affect the game's release I think, considering how late it is any effect it could have will be felt post-launch (like a title change). Anyway I have no idea what's up with Early Access in the legal sense but they way I see it the game is already released: you can buy it, you can play it, just not all of it.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 06 June 2019 - 09:11 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

The Tardigrades/Star Trek Discovery plagiarism lawsuit didn't stop Discovery from going on to a 2nd and 3rd season.

Though I'm really not an expert at this stuff, I imagine that since the lawsuit is about the infringement of trademark and thus resulting confusion over the name (among other things which are really just riders to make their suit sound more significant), a marketing campaign for the release of the game could potentially increase the amount Iron Maiden will ask for in damages, or lead to further escalation.

This is just my own speculation though.

• Judge Mental

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 06 June 2019 - 04:40 PM, said:

The Tardigrades/Star Trek Discovery plagiarism lawsuit didn't stop Discovery from going on to a 2nd and 3rd season.

Yeah, but that's multiple companies against one individual who was making the claim. CBS/Paramount/Netflix/Bad Robot all have money.

User is offline   Master O 

View PostJimmy 100MPH, on 06 June 2019 - 08:10 AM, said:

It's a valid concern, but also an unfair question to publicly ask the team, really. I'm not speaking for them, but just think about it for a second. Of course the team wants to release it as soon as possible but once lawsuits hit, anything can happen. They might have an idea of how the lawsuit will effect things going forward. But they can't really know until the game and/or the lawsuit are complete. Just hope for the best and spread the gospel; this lawsuit is bogus.

The problem is, that with the way the US legal system is, Iron Maiden's lawyers could tie this up in court for years, even decades if they really want to.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMaster O, on 07 June 2019 - 04:34 PM, said:

The problem is, that with the way the US legal system is, Iron Maiden's lawyers could tie this up in court for years, even decades if they really want to.

Nope. Lawyers won't do this. They are hired. Law makers on the other hand are elected officials.
Only asinine publishers think like they are beyond it (a very fucked up system).
Remember the anti alcohol movement in the mighty US? Those stupid laws were enforced. Sure, wait for rational laws to win over it, but ... jail in the mean time?
God Damn ignorant 3D Realms, please die, you utterly useless entity. Tell me the location of your grave, so I can piss on it. Thank you, and I do mean thank you. :D

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Wishing death upon 3DR is like sawing off the branch on which you are sitting if you wanna play IM (or whatever its name will be). Mistakes might have been made, but now it must be about damage control, not calling names.

• Judge Mental

View PostNightFright, on 08 June 2019 - 04:57 AM, said:

Mistakes might have been made,

It was worth the risk. I assure you.

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options