• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

User is online   Mark 

That answers that question. <_<

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Yep, the skull and player character both existed in Bombshell long before the title for our game was chosen.

You guys wanna know why we really chose Ion Maiden? We thought the name of the weapon from Bombshell was cool, and when we went to check if the domain was available we discovered that 3DR happened to have purchased the domains for several of the Bombshell weapons before the game was released.

If I thought for one second that one of my formerly favorite bands was going to come out of the woodwork with an axe to grind over it, I would have gone for something else entirely.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Cybercunt 2097

Make it tie in with CD Projekt's game.

<_<

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

They're still one of my favorite bands.

I think they're wrong in this instance, but I don't blame them for trying to defend their name and trademark.
From their perspective, they (the holdings lawyers) are doing what they think is right to protect themselves. They don't hang out in this community. They probably never played the game. They are outsiders looking in, without the insight we have.

This post has been edited by Forge: 31 May 2019 - 01:41 PM

User is offline   Forge 

If you never heard of this game in your life and somebody sent you a message telling you to check "ion Maiden", you'd probably think it was related to the band. Once you got the website though, it'd be blatantly obvious that the two have nothing to do with each other.
The first thing you'd think is, "Who is this chick, and where's Eddie?"

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Sure, but you do have to blame them for "defending" it with outright lies:

Posted Image

User is offline   Forge 

View PostForge, on 31 May 2019 - 01:40 PM, said:

I think they're wrong in this instance,

^this

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

If they're lying then they're just working in your favour.

User is offline   Forge 

So why didn't Fred say something back in December when 3DR filed trademark Express Abandonment paperwork, but continued to use the Ion Maiden name anyway?

User is offline   Gambini 

View PostPerro Seco, on 31 May 2019 - 06:23 AM, said:

I don't know how many meanings has "siren" in English, but in Spanish (sirena) means 1: mermaid and 2: alarm signal. With that name people will expect some kind of game about women with fish tails...

I hope they can keep "Ion Maiden", which sounds good even if you never heard of Iron Maiden before. If not..., better try with "Ion Maidun". <_<

heh! Ion Maidum would be indeed a great name and a great reference to its historical background (like you can´t be a Duke Nukem successor if your name had not been in conflict with some already existing name). Very clever sir!

User is offline   razgriz 

Disgusting that a band's manager would do this and delay a great game.

User is offline   Forge 

Forbes, PCWorld, IGN, etc., etc.

Streisand effect

User is offline   Hank 

View PostTerminX, on 31 May 2019 - 12:04 PM, said:

cut >>
If I thought for one second that one of my formerly favorite bands was going to come out of the woodwork with an axe to grind over it, I would have gone for something else entirely.

I hope you are not blaming yourself for the current major setback?
Simply checks, by Eugene, one of my business buddies, suggests staying away from the game title of Ion Maiden.
The main issue is that Iron Maiden Holdings Ltd and its registered trade name, Iron Maiden, is established in California, and their stringent US trade laws will apply. Yes, he (my friend) is a fucking expensive, but very proficient. The none-friend fee would have been 700 CAD ~ $500 US. This exercise took less than an hour, much less than a court battle let alone a name change, just before publishing.

Maybe you remember my opinion about some 3D Realms' staff members? Yes, I apologized for my non-political correct terms; but now nor then was I was I ever, ever sorry. In blatant political incorrect terms let me suggest: 'Try to avoid proven incompetent business partners. 3D Realms is a waste of space. Take your losses, regroup and start over. Please. I want to play this, in my life time.

To all others, sure blame Iron Maiden, those bad boys. What did they do? Rise from the bottom? Had brains to protect their assets? No? They are evil rich monsters? OK.

User is offline   Paul B 

Well that sucks! =(

Here's some new names:
Bionic Maiden
Metal Maiden
Robo Maiden
Cyber Maiden
Trooper Maiden
Cyborg Maiden
Steel Maiden (stronger than Iron Maiden)
Metallic Maiden (piss on Metallica and Iron Maiden) lol

This post has been edited by Paul B: 31 May 2019 - 08:57 PM

View PostPaul B, on 31 May 2019 - 08:47 PM, said:

View PostThe Battlelord, on 30 May 2019 - 09:48 AM, said:

1øn Ma1den
sequel: 1øn Mai2en

No?

One Maiden
One Mai2en

No?

Oni Maiden
Oni Mai2en

No?

Steel Maiden
Steel Mai2en
(Duke: "I've got balls of steel". Shelly: "I've got 'somethingelse' of steel" <_<)

Too similar yet? They can simply change their mind too! :P

Now you are forcing me to ask a trademark infringement suit against you, $2 Million should be enough, and don't dare to lie, I know you have some nice trees where money grows :).

Obviously am joking but, see how stupid sounds doing this? It does not matter who did it, managers, lawyers etc.. check and ask before to act like this, its free and does not harm anyone...

Metal/Metallic Maiden sounds good to shorten its name to MM

What about Titanium or Titania Maiden?
FusION Maiden
ExplosION Maiden
Explosive Maiden
Let's drop Maiden for a second, Ion Madness? :lol:.

Maybe devs are looking for something original, Best of luck guys!

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 31 May 2019 - 10:06 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I got one.

Fuck You Iron Maiden Forever.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostForge, on 31 May 2019 - 07:57 PM, said:

Forbes, PCWorld, IGN, etc., etc.

Streisand effect

But only if it escalates further. If the band management and 3DRealms make an agreement on the case, change the name, and pay the royalties, it will be a non case, and the team will see very little gain from the whole debacle like higher selling rate. On the other hand I don't think they want it to escalate. It can have a painful outcome for them, despite getting the moral support from the public.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

3D Realms and VP do not need to change the name. It's utter tosspottery.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostTerminX, on 31 May 2019 - 01:55 PM, said:

Sure, but you do have to blame them for "defending" it with outright lies:

Posted Image

Oh fuck, that's 100% fabrication. <_< Reading stuff like this makes me think you should fight these fucktards.

Seriously, put up a GoFundMe or something for the legal costs, I'll pay. :)

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 01 June 2019 - 01:35 AM

User is online   Phredreeke 

Posted Image

User is offline   mwnn 

It may well be utter tosspottery and even though we all know that Ion isn't Iron as in: Ion Cannon (star wars), Ion Storm (developer), an atom with an electrical charge, etc

I can't say I'd trust some senile old fart to make the right decision should it escalate.
I'd like to say fight to the death but it's likely already cost a few thousand just to establish whether the claim has any merit and they've got more firepower.

They've already won a previous fight against a comic called Iron and the Maiden The Iron Saint
On the name alone - Ion Maiden is probably even more similar thanks to the silent "r".
Once the legal profession get fired up it can drag on for years.

At the same time I don't know if a change of name is equivalent to admitting guilt.
If they can change it without penalty that might be the smartest option.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostPaul B, on 31 May 2019 - 08:47 PM, said:

Well that sucks! =(

Here's some new names:
Bionic Maiden
Metal Maiden
Robo Maiden
Cyber Maiden
Trooper Maiden
Cyborg Maiden
Metallic Maiden (piss on Metallica and Iron Maiden) lol

Many of those names are fitting as in the prequel game she's not a cyborg at all yet....unless that comes later in the game? Ion Maiden is a weapon from the previous game.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNancsi, on 31 May 2019 - 11:10 PM, said:

But only if it escalates further. If the band management and 3DRealms make an agreement on the case, change the name, and pay the royalties

Why would they pay royalties?

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

If anything, Iron Maiden themselves are supposed pay compensation for false accusations.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 01 June 2019 - 11:22 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

What is with these lawsuit trigger happy metal bands!?!? I hope they lose and are counter-sued to the fullest extent.

User is offline   Outtagum 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 01 June 2019 - 06:24 AM, said:

Ion Maiden is a weapon from the previous game.

Where she is a cyborg. It's a modification for her mechanical arm.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostZor, on 01 June 2019 - 11:39 AM, said:

Where she is a cyborg. It's a modification for her mechanical arm.

But she isn't a cyborg in Ion Maiden.

View PostForge, on 31 May 2019 - 01:40 PM, said:

They're still one of my favorite bands.

I think they're wrong in this instance, but I don't blame them for trying to defend their name and trademark.
From their perspective, they (the holdings lawyers) are doing what they think is right to protect themselves. They don't hang out in this community. They probably never played the game. They are outsiders looking in, without the insight we have.

The 2 million in reparations thing is bad any way you look at it. A cease and desist asking for a name change, that's wrong and misguided, along with the absurd Shelly's name stuff mentioned. But the 2 million dollars thing, for a game that isn't even fully released yet, and clearly has not cost Iron Maiden a cent, it's just awful.

Good luck with all this, we're rooting for you!

User is offline   Forge 

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 01 June 2019 - 04:02 PM, said:

The 2 million in reparations thing is bad any way you look at it. A cease and desist asking for a name change, that's wrong and misguided, along with the absurd Shelly's name stuff mentioned. But the 2 million dollars thing, for a game that isn't even fully released yet, and clearly has not cost Iron Maiden a cent, it's just awful.

A C&D was issued around 6 months ago. 3DR filed to abandon their Ion Maiden trademark because of it.

3DR made the decision to continue to use the name anyway.

Exactly what did they think was going to happen?

If the case for the Ion Maiden name was that strong, why did Fred file to cancel the trademark? (back in December)

The reasons and correlations are stupid to us, because most of us have been here for years and can see how silly some of the accusations are. You're not looking at it from a clueless california lawyer's perspective.

Getting mad at Iron Maiden is about as dumb as the lawsuit itself.

Fred had 6 months to figure it out, he apparently decided to do nothing and hoped for the best.

This post has been edited by Forge: 01 June 2019 - 04:47 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostForge, on 01 June 2019 - 04:44 PM, said:

A C&D was issued around 6 months ago. 3DR filed to abandon their Ion Maiden trademark because of it.

I hadn't read that anywhere.

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options