• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

The financial damage might be offset by any added publicity, if it results in sales, etc. But all this is just theorizing, we have no clue what will happen. I also am curious why that trademark says abandoned in Jan. 08.

My current favourite, should a namechange become necessary, would be "Mayhem Mistress" or "Mistress Mayhem", whatever order you prefer.
Neither appear to be trademarked.

Edit: Actually, scratch that, someone on the 3DRealms Discord came up with "Shrapnel" which sounds way better.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 30 May 2019 - 01:30 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

Shrapnel is pretty damn good, it gets my counts for nothing vote.

"Shrapnel Siren" is also a good candidate if you want to keep the female touch in the title.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

American copyright system is really bullshit. I guess if Guilty Gear wasn't Japanese game Iron Maiden and other bands would sue the series to death because it has shitton of heavy metal references including Iron Maiden (and by saying shitton I really mean it).

If I ever bother with Iron Maiden stuff I will pirate it and I hope they lose the law suit. Putting simple references in games should not be prohibited by the law in America or around the world.

User is offline   Sanek 

User is offline   Newken 

My pick: "Shelly Harrison's Ion Maiden Experience" <_<

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostDoom64hunter, on 30 May 2019 - 01:41 AM, said:

"Shrapnel Siren"

How about "Shrapnel Shelly"? <_<

Anyway, the whole thing sucks. All the luck to VP and 3DR! Like stated above, the controversy means more publicity; but I doubt that 3DR will be OK financially if they'll pay that 2 million bucks after all. Not to mention the lawyer fees.

User is online   Mark 

Change from "Ion Maiden" to "Fe Maiden". Fe being the atomic symbol for iron.
Then in court present as evidence that 19 out of 20 millenials didn't know that. No confusion between brands. Case closed. <_< Just joking of course.

This post has been edited by Mark: 30 May 2019 - 03:49 AM

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Fuck off Iron Maiden

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I don't mind a rename if it's the cheapest and least-damaging option for 3DR. It will still be the same game in the end. Even Duke Nukum got a name change, and he's still our favorite hero.

This post has been edited by Radar: 30 May 2019 - 04:15 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

The initial change from "Nukem" to "Nukum" was as minute as "Iron" to "Ion."

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 30 May 2019 - 06:33 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 30 May 2019 - 04:40 AM, said:

The initial change from "Nukem" to "Nukem" was as minute as "Iron" to "Ion."

You mean Nukum?

Otherwise that change really was minute <_<

User is offline   Master O 

Ion Maiden devs:

Is this lawsuit going to significantly delay the full release for Ion Maiden?

This post has been edited by Master O: 30 May 2019 - 04:53 AM

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View PostSanek, on 30 May 2019 - 03:39 AM, said:

How about "Shrapnel Shelly"? <_<

Lol, that would work for a RR sequel. Very hillbilly-esque.

A rename and corresponding changes to the logo and marketing might appease the band as far as trademark infringement goes but the claims concerning the character and weapon are different.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostMaster O, on 30 May 2019 - 04:53 AM, said:

Ion Maiden devs:

Is this lawsuit going to significantly delay the full release for Ion Maiden?

It shouldn't.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostSledgehammer, on 30 May 2019 - 03:14 AM, said:

American copyright system is really bullshit. I guess if Guilty Gear wasn't Japanese game Iron Maiden and other bands would sue the series to death because it has shitton of heavy metal references including Iron Maiden (and by saying shitton I really mean it).

If I ever bother with Iron Maiden stuff I will pirate it and I hope they lose the law suit. Putting simple references in games should not be prohibited by the law in America or around the world.

This is a civil suit over trademarks, not copyright. You can sue anyone for anything, it doesn't make it a legitimate claim. This is a frivolous lawsuit by the company that handles the band's merchandising, not the band itself. This actually happened with Metallica a few years ago. Their merchandiser sued a tribute band, and Metallica didn't even know about it until someone told Lars on Twitter or something. The band made them drop the lawsuit.

Iron Maiden could do the same.

User is offline   Master O 

View PostSledgehammer, on 30 May 2019 - 03:14 AM, said:

In that vein, I'm more surprised no band has ever gone after the creator of the manga / comic Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, which nakedly steals band names and song titles from hundreds of different bands.

Ion Maiden is not even remotely the worst "offender" here.

This post has been edited by Master O: 30 May 2019 - 06:53 AM

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostMaster O, on 30 May 2019 - 06:52 AM, said:

In that vein, I'm more surprised no band has ever gone after the creator of the manga / comic Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, which nakedly steals band names and song titles from hundreds of different bands.

They have no power in Japan since we don't have bullshit copyright laws like that (one of the biggest reasons why crossovers is a big thing in Japan), if they tried to pull something like that they would lose and rightfully so. Voidpoint is much easier target since they're Americans.

I wouldn't say that they're stealing, there is nothing wrong with making references to other stuff. This is usually pretty cool shit.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

My train if though is the following:

I'll be the devil's advocate with this sentence,the first time I heard the name I immediately thought the game was called after the band just to notice it was "Ion" not "Iron" anyway it still sounded like a reference or homage to the band, so for a malicious mind the name can be just a copy with a modified letter.

Alright, the point is I can't conceive a serious lawsuit that even contemplates illegal to take a band's name, change a letter and make a videogame out of it (wich isn't even the case with Ion Maiden named after an item of a previous game) this is beyond me. Hell even the name isn't a made up name, it is a fictional device, how I'd wish the decency of Johann Philipp Siebenkees the supposedly creator of the Iron Maiden story would sue the band for using the name. I think the only way to stop this non sense is if they talk directly to the band, and if both fans of the game and the band spam the official accounts with complete disagreement about the accusations. Let's wait until the lawsuit is official. Hell what a non sense.

Edit: So I have read the twitts and articles, apparently the band is also claiming about the game's logo, style, skull, and protagonist similarities with the band counterparts. Yeah I see too many confused people expecting to play as a female version of Steve Harris just to want his money back when they notice there is no female Eddie around 🙄

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 30 May 2019 - 07:51 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

This is interesting regarding the Iron Maiden trademark. Apparently the band's trademark was updated on May 6, 2019. While the Ion Maiden game was created in Feb 2018. Why was the Ion Maiden trademark abandoned??

Posted Image

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 30 May 2019 - 08:37 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostSledgehammer, on 30 May 2019 - 07:24 AM, said:

They have no power in Japan since we don't have bullshit copyright laws like that (one of the biggest reasons why crossovers is a big thing in Japan), if they tried to pull something like that they would lose and rightfully so. Voidpoint is much easier target since they're Americans.

I wouldn't say that they're stealing, there is nothing wrong with making references to other stuff. This is usually pretty cool shit.

Again, this isn't about copyrights. It's about trademarks. And the idea of a trademark is that whatever you're trademarking can't be copyrighted for one reason or another. Iron Maiden can't copyright their name because it's the name of an historical torture device, but they can protect themselves by trademarking the name, and basically that means other people can't sell their shit or start another band by the same name. A famous example of this is the band the Misfits. They took their name after a 50s film, Danzig owns the copyrights to his original songs and art designs, and Danzig and Jerry Only both have rights to the trademark, meaning they can sell Misfits merchandise but must profit share.

Basically the crux of this legal argument would have to be that 3DR is literally stealing the image of the band and their video game. 3DR actually has the upper hand here in terms of legality. They could LITERALLY name the game Iron Maiden and it'd be fine. Iron Maiden's merchandiser only has the upper hand in terms of money.

They're being dicks just because they can afford it. Any judge in his right mind would side by 3DR, just as the whole Duke Nukum debacle. There is literally no way someone can confuse Ion Maiden for an Iron Maiden product, and it would be extremely easy to argue this in court. That just costs money.

User is offline   Outtagum 

View PostDoom64hunter, on 30 May 2019 - 01:41 AM, said:

"Shrapnel Siren" is also a good candidate if you want to keep the female touch in the title.

Posted Image

1øn Ma1den
sequel: 1øn Mai2en

No?

One Maiden
One Mai2en

No?

Oni Maiden
Oni Mai2en

No?

Steel Maiden
Steel Mai2en
(Duke: "I've got balls of steel". Shelly: "I've got 'somethingelse' of steel" <_<)

Too similar yet? They can simply change their mind too! :)

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 30 May 2019 - 09:50 AM

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Iron Mademoiselle

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostThe Battlelord, on 30 May 2019 - 09:48 AM, said:

(Duke: "I've got balls of steel". Shelly: "I've got 'somethingelse' of steel" <_<)

OVARIES YOU TWAT WAFFLE!

*ahem* Sorry, I don't know what came over me.

User is online   Mark 

Change the little yellow skull in the logo to something else, give Shelly a different last name which is only in a backstory and you've taken away a big chunk of Iron Maiden's argument.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The skull argument is total baloney anyhow. If anything it looks like the Offspring's logo, not Eddie.

User is offline   Sanek 

Another quesiton is, where have they been for a year after game's release? Does they literally waited when 3DR have some money from it?

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options