• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D Voxel Pack

User is offline   Borion 

You are all probably right, but one can dream <_<

I will focus on rest of pickups.

This post has been edited by Borion: 29 April 2019 - 03:16 PM

User is offline   Borion 

These proto-DN Forever materials are pure gold. Like something taken from parallel universe where DN3D 1.7 update happened.

ReaperMan, on 29 April 2019 - 03:07 PM, said:

Also not gunna brag but... my ripper and RPG are better.

True.

User is offline   Borion 

Little preview

Posted Image

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

That's impressive and is very close to looking exactly right.

I'm not sure if the orb is supposed to bob up and down like that. Is there a problem with the voxels not matching the sprites' xoffset and yoffset?

User is offline   Borion 

Thank you!
You are right that it bobs too strong. Original sprite also bobs, but very delicately (1-2 pixels on Y axis). I tried to “synchronize” pivot point (x/y offset) in all frames via markers. I put in some additional vivid voxels on edges to force all frames to have same X/Y/Z size, adjusted pivot to center in all frames, and after that remove markers. SLAB6 seem to not mess up pivot positions in the process of removing markers, like Ken knew exactly that it can happen with varying voxel frames sizes...
Anyway, the only way to load all frames and see them in motion is via EDuke32. But it seems that there is something more going on behind the scenes, that I’m not aware off.
I suspect there are some offset values hardcoded per frame in EDuke32 gamecode. The sure way to check, would be creating a separate dummy object from scratch, load all 16 KVX frames into it and see if it bobs. What do you think Hendricks, what is right sollution?

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

That Atomic Health is indeed amazing and easily one of your best creations yet. Thumbs up!

It might be that the tiles have different measures and there is indeed some internal adjustment going on. Dunno how they solved it with the HRP model, but maybe it's worth taking a look.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 11 May 2019 - 01:07 AM

User is offline   Borion 

Ok, Nightfright

EDIT: I missed that part "That Atomic Health is indeed amazing and easily one of your best creations yet. Thumbs up!" - wow, thanks man!

This post has been edited by Borion: 11 May 2019 - 04:16 AM

User is offline   fgsfds 

AFAIK, the core doesn't bob at all.
I had the same problem with synchronizing pivots once. Eventually I gave up, made a video of it and calculated offsets from there, frame by frame.
Not the best solution, but it's good as a last resort.

User is offline   Borion 

View Postfgsfds, on 11 May 2019 - 08:32 AM, said:

AFAIK, the core doesn't bob at all.

You are right, I f***ed-up my reference gif for some reason.
Well, I would bet my life that atomic health bobed in game for last 23 years, so I haven't noticed...its good I did not bet my life on that - I would be dead now <_<
Thanks for correction, Fgsfds!

View Postfgsfds, on 11 May 2019 - 08:32 AM, said:

I had the same problem with synchronizing pivots once. Eventually I gave up, made a video of it and calculated offsets from there, frame by frame.
Not the best solution, but it's good as a last resort.

Brilliant idea! I'll do that.

User is offline   Kyanos 

That bobbing is very visible in the sprites, in game it does not bob like that, offsets keep the "nucleus" centered.

Is this maybe an issue of the offsets not altering each individual frame like the sprite??

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostPhotonic, on 11 May 2019 - 03:13 PM, said:

That bobbing is very visible in the sprites, in game it does not bob like that, offsets keep the "nucleus" centered.

Yep, this is correct.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

There needs to be a flag or something for offsets so hacky shit doesn't have to be done.

User is online   Rellik 

Ideally, there needs to be an exporter that takes the offsets into account and sizes the images accordingly.

I spent a few minutes and aligned the atomic health
Posted Image

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: atomic-health.gif

This post has been edited by Rellik: 12 May 2019 - 09:30 PM

User is offline   Borion 

View PostJimmy 100MPH, on 12 May 2019 - 08:02 PM, said:

There needs to be a flag or something for offsets so hacky shit doesn't have to be done.

That would be great, I second that idea. Adjusting offsets for KVX sequences in SLAB6 is major PITA and generally huge waste of time. This time could be used on some creative stuff and real problems solving.
The only reason those variable offsets exists, is because sprites needed to be cropped on frame basis to be as small as possible back in 1996. We don't need such optimisations nowadays, I'm sure no one will ever play EDuke32 on 386 with 4 mb of ram. So flag for ignoring hardcoded per frame offset would be best.

Developers, please consider this feature request.

View PostRellik, on 12 May 2019 - 09:27 PM, said:

Ideally, there needs to be an exporter that takes the offsets into account and sizes the images accordingly.

I spent a few minutes and aligned the atomic health
Posted Image

Thanks Rellik, but true problem here is in regard to KVX voxel models. The only method to adjust those is by using old & clunky SLAB6, and it doesn't support animation.
There is support for multi object editing & KVX import/export in Goxel, but pivot adjustment is impossible. Goxel is opensource, so if anyone is cabable & willing to look into that, please do.

User is offline   Kyanos 

You should not need to adjust the pivots, if each frame of the voxel matches each frame of the sprite then the engine should line everything back up the way the sprite offsets are set in the art file. Making the voxels different from the sprites to avoid hardcoded animation issues is wrong imo.

Can you post the files? It would make it easier to diagnose the issue if I could see exactly what your voxel pivots are compared to sprite offsets.

Do you use BAFED, Build ART files editor? It will display animations with offsets from sprites/art files.

User is offline   Borion 

View PostPhotonic, on 13 May 2019 - 04:53 AM, said:

You should not need to adjust the pivots, if each frame of the voxel matches each frame of the sprite then the engine should line everything back up the way the sprite offsets are set in the art file. Making the voxels different from the sprites to avoid hardcoded animation issues is wrong imo.

Can you post the files? It would make it easier to diagnose the issue if I could see exactly what your voxel pivots are compared to sprite offsets.

Do you use BAFED, Build ART files editor? It will display animations with offsets from sprites/art files.

I used BAFED couple of times in the past, long time ago. Looking at those offset values is a nice shortcut - thanks, Photonic!

Making the voxels different from the sprites to avoid hardcoded animation issues is wrong imo.

I don't want to sound hostile, but why it is wrong? Making life of moders easier is wrong? IMHO it's better to think beyond the scope of this project, to let people do more than just visually enhance DN3D experience. It is easy for .def scripting gurus, but dumbasses like me would rather not fight design decisions from more than twenty years ago :) Otherwise it's better to use GZDoom or Unity to realise personal ideas - there you don't have to fight the tools.

Like Jimmy suggested, it could be just flag in .def file. Nothing destructive to original game code. Flexibility is way of progress, my friend <_<

This post has been edited by Borion: 13 May 2019 - 05:25 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostBorion, on 13 May 2019 - 05:23 AM, said:

why it is wrong?

I guess what I meant was it's wrong that the engine forces a hack like that. As an option I'm all for a flag to ignore the original sprite offsets it seems likely to be a handy tool, but in this case if you made each frame the same as each sprite like it looks to me then the engine should be doing this offset for you to match the settings from the .art file or .def file if applicable.

User is offline   Borion 

Absolutely agreed, buddy.
Again, thanks for help & input!

User is offline   Borion 

I need to rest from atomic health for some time, heheh. I will get back to it soon, but till then I want to finish and post few other things.
Urinal 0571 & 0573:
Posted Image
zipped KVX files: https://mega.nz/#!xm...I6pAIW6sVjG_uas

Lines for props.def:
voxel "voxels/props/0571_urinal.kvx" { tile 571 }
voxel "voxels/props/0573_brokenurinal.kvx" { tile 573 }

• The Truth is in here

These are so good, they almost make me wanna pee.

User is offline   Borion 

View PostNightFright, on 14 May 2019 - 10:21 AM, said:

These are so good, they almost make me wanna pee.

Hahahah, thanks!

User is online   Phredreeke 

that's nice! is it alright if I post that on my blog? (link in signature)

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 14 May 2019 - 10:35 AM

User is offline   Borion 

View PostPhredreeke, on 14 May 2019 - 10:35 AM, said:

that's nice!

Thanks!

View PostPhredreeke, on 14 May 2019 - 10:35 AM, said:

is it alright if I post that on my blog? (link in signature)

Yeah, just please attribute this Voxel Pack project & my nickname. I need to promote my humble person a little bit more <_<

EDIT: By the way, "Toilets of Build" - it is so damn funny :)

This post has been edited by Borion: 14 May 2019 - 10:52 AM

User is offline   Borion 

Stage Light (0685)
Posted Image

KVX: https://mega.nz/#!k7...OFVq7042i1BQGsA

props.def line:
voxel "voxels/props/0685_stagelamp.kvx" { tile 685 }

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Dude, are you a professional artist? The quality on that is way too good.

The atomic health looks really good. It looks better than the original sprite. The sprite looks weird because the electrons aren't centered in their orbit around the nucleus, but your voxel looks very refined. Is it an original work, or is it based off the hrp version?

This post has been edited by Radar: 15 May 2019 - 04:22 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

It's original, he even posted the method he used

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fox: 15 May 2019 - 05:14 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I remember seeing that now. I speed-browse the forum while at work so sometimes I miss stuff. Looks really good.

This post has been edited by Radar: 15 May 2019 - 05:20 AM

User is offline   Borion 

Thanks for support Fox! <_<

View PostRadar, on 15 May 2019 - 04:21 AM, said:

Dude, are you a professional artist? The quality on that is way too good.

Thanks man! I work as motion design freelancer & I have fine arts degree, so yeah. But "artist" is a word that has a lot of baggage...I prefer "pro visual enthusiast" ;D
I hope to move to game dev in near future, because I'm fed up doing things that burry me alive...retro gaming & 16-bit(ish) stuff were always part of my true passions.

View PostRadar, on 15 May 2019 - 04:21 AM, said:

The atomic health looks really good. It looks better than the original sprite. The sprite looks weird because the electrons aren't centered in their orbit around the nucleus, but your voxel looks very refined. Is it an original work, or is it based off the hrp version?

Like Fox said, it's original stuff. HRP Atomic Health is more loose interpretation of original (and really good one!!!).
You have a good eye, those electrons were indeed flying on "wrong" orbits, but good enough for flattened perspective.
First all flat parts needed to be separated and all missing pixels redrawn in Aseprite (2D animation program). After that I could throw this stuff into 'voxel realm'.
I had to work out few tricks to not fall into madness, like those red trajectories that you can see on screenshot reposted by Fox.

Here are some further screenshots that I prepared to illustrate process. I knew I might need them as a proof that its not some quick & dirty Poly2Vox conversion :)

Stage at witch all electrons were finished. Screenshot from Qubicle:
Posted Image

Separate(d) elements of roughly animated core before being painted by hand in Goxel:
Posted Image

Integration stage in Goxel, when slight adjustments of all objects were needed:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Lunick: 15 May 2019 - 04:10 PM

• The Truth is in here

Holy smokes. That might very well be the most complex voxel construction ever for this project. I dunno if there is any sprite (besides enemies) that has an even higher difficulty level...

This post has been edited by NightFright: 15 May 2019 - 06:07 AM

User is offline   Borion 

View PostNightFright, on 15 May 2019 - 06:06 AM, said:

Holy smokes. That might very well be the most complex voxel construction ever for this project. I dunno if there is any sprite (besides enemies) that has an even higher difficulty level...

I hope there is not <_< :) :P

Share this topic:

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options