• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AMC TC Episode Three released  "Grab it here!"

User is offline   Rhaisher 

View PostSolais, on 17 April 2019 - 11:45 AM, said:

Alright, found Charon. Short, but really cool level! Smart use of the scuba trooper from Alien Armageddon as well.

Also, continued my Normal playthrough... it's actually a lot more easier than I remember, I guess now that I know the game better, I know how to prepare and handle enemies. I wonder if there's any research I'm still missing though, the only one I know about that I don't yet have is the new AMC transport, I think I MIA'd every enemy type too.

Edit: Actually, is it me, or the Flying Drones (like those on the Hong Kong levels) no longer attack? I remember in 3.0, they had at least two attacks, but since 3.1, they just fly around and do nothing except sometimes getting stuck on the player.

The research project for the new AMC transport is inside Snowfall's room at the new AMC base.

There is also another one you might be missing in Guerillas in the Mist: there is a special gorilla you can MIA for a research project. Look closely at how they react when you shoot them. - This one was a big surprise for me to discover. Really cool.

Edit: After a thoroughly search of evidence in EP3 I've been able to fill only 3 in the 'section 3' of the evidence computer. Am I missing any? Because there are several blanks.. :lol:

This post has been edited by Rhaisher: 17 April 2019 - 01:32 PM

User is offline   John Brown 

It does seem like there is less evidence in Ep 3, unless we both missed a lot.

I have six entries in the computer, but three of them are all from the same document. They should be:

Spoiler

Spoiler

For the three-page one, I was sure I found it the first time I played through the third episode. On a replay, I pressed E on the file, and accidentally pressed something to cancel out of reading it, and then it gave me credit for finding evidence (and it disappeared off the desk). I reloaded a save and it was there on the desk again so I could read it, but without the "evidence found" message (since I already found it). It didn't seem weird enough to me to report it at the time.

Also did you get James' gun that you were missing?

View PostJohn Brown, on 17 April 2019 - 03:05 PM, said:

It does seem like there is less evidence in Ep 3, unless we both missed a lot.

I have six entries in the computer, but three of them are all from the same document. They should be:

Spoiler

Spoiler

For the three-page one, I was sure I found it the first time I played through the third episode. On a replay, I pressed E on the file, and accidentally pressed something to cancel out of reading it, and then it gave me credit for finding evidence (and it disappeared off the desk). I reloaded a save and it was there on the desk again so I could read it, but without the "evidence found" message (since I already found it). It didn't seem weird enough to me to report it at the time.

Also did you get James' gun that you were missing?

I'm missing the last one. On my 2 playthroughs of Micky Begins I haven't been able to retrieve it as an evidence. I'm able only to read the book and leave it there afterwards. How strange. =/

Will try to press 'use' again on the first page the next time I play the map.

I found Zaxtor's! Lots of new features to previous episodes. I like it. :lol:

Welcome to the EDF > Extensive Defense Feedback.

BTW Is Snowfall's notes in his last levels retrievable ? Because I have the feeling it may be glitched like the others >_>

_The Catacombs : Upbeat music. This one I kinda like, there's always an exception. I take on the left. That lava room somehow reminds me of Rayman 2 in the Temple of Lava. It looks nice. Then the next room is water now, kinda wondering how this is possible but it's also nice. The Incendiary Shells work mighty fine for those rooms. Then it's the Deep Water Way kinda section with a HUGE cave that has nothing apart from a secret which is really easy to miss. Looks very nice thanks to the water effect just like in the mentioned level. There's also the Blood Sigil door for Sang with some stuff behind. I don't recall seeing any Blood Sigil doors in Ep2 so it's nice seeing one again here.

Going up into the central room which looks cool with the lava atmosphere. A daring jump to find the last artefact. Infinite Stamina, Infinite Breath, Super Jump, No Fall Dammage ... How could this be more broken ? Feather Falling of course ! THE finishing touch to becoming overly agile FTW ! And you even got a small non-secret place to test it out. It works mighty fine and is kinda broken but that's why it's so good. And a shortcut to the next section. The rooms with those statues, I still can't remember the name, are cool but can't find much to say.

That big room with the sand falling is probably one of the nicest room of the level. A bit empty but still matches well the ruin-like spirit. And the fight is relatively easy when on the ground floor since enemies don't react to your presence for some ROR reason. First key behind the special push wall, can be easy to miss actually, good thing those hand prints are easy to spot. Now going outside for some more sense of scale and good view on the skybox though it is the worst angle possible since it shows the most baren part of it. Tough fight there, because close-range Cobra (been a while) and the Skorpion Lady despite good cover. Although we're given the H item in the previoous room and since I already got one it helps cheesing the fight. ESPECIALLY if you have Sang with his Mirror Orb this bit is just utter cakewalk ! Second key and some Anubis Soldiers for the occasion, not as harsh as what we were used to see previously.

Last room (already ?) With a very good looking, imposing temple entrance for the 3 keys. Almost feels like something BIG's hiding behind it. Ultimate Skorpion Lady at last. And the inside of the temple, along with the entrance, is probably the best looking place of the level along with the outdoor area and the lava rooms. Finally the last Rune Key and now there's lava outside ? Bah, you really gotta push it in order to fall into it. (Going back to the central hub for the boss). END

Conclusion : Surprisingly there's not that much to say about the level. Despite it being longer than the previous one it has a faster pacing to it so it kinda leads to the same result. I have a VERY hard time imagining where I would rank this level compared to the others ... Especially since I'm unsure about the others. In any case, the lava aspect is well handled, and it brings even more variety to the mix since we didn't get any dedicated lava levels even though it's 85% here. The music is well suited for the level in overall and also considering it's the last level of the mix, it's a good finishing level. It's not the hardest clearly, but that's because we're fully kitted out at this point. Since there's the guy at the beginning who tells you that you need all the artefacts here, there's no reason to head there early. If you did that then I guess it would become quite the challenge. There's not much I can say since a lot of the things I said for previous levels apply here. Sorry I can't say more, and the fact it's kinda short doesn't help, but, unlike the previous level, it doesn't feel too short. Once again, the only complain I can have here is a relative lack of armor but on the other hand you're so fully stuffed at this point that the one armor you find outside should be enough for itself. I'd say this level is equivalent to The Tomb in my liking but I can't decide which one I like the most because the former is calm and a good introduction, while the other is a more intense and complete experience with the full stuff ... Don't ask me to rank the levels officially because I like them all too much to make a definite choice. In short, Lava theme handled very well, fitting music as usual, good pacing, easy navigation and orientation, makes full use of all the artefacts we gathered and gives the opportunity to use our strong weapons and H items to the best results.

This post has been edited by TheDragonLiner: 17 April 2019 - 10:59 PM

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 17 April 2019 - 10:57 PM, said:

BTW Is Snowfall's notes in his last levels retrievable ? Because I have the feeling it may be glitched like the others >_>

I didn't find anything readable on the last levels. Thought that I was missing something, because there is no explanation whatsoever about what is happening. You can get a slight idea about it throught a specific scene in VR, before Waking but I played the level confused.

Nevertheless, that is the goal intended, I assume. Once you reach the end of Triton Facility everything makes sense. Isn't that moment awesome? The revelation, the music, the enemies... <3

All in all, I think that every document in a mission should be retrievable. Not the books in HUB maps, though.

@TDL Where are the notes about Snowfall? I'm interested in reading them.

View PostRhaisher, on 17 April 2019 - 11:57 PM, said:

I didn't find anything readable on the last levels. Thought that I was missing something, because there is no explanation whatsoever about what is happening. You can get a slight idea about it throught a specific scene in VR, before Waking but I played the level confused.

Nevertheless, that is the goal intended, I assume. Once you reach the end of Triton Facility everything makes sense. Isn't that moment awesome? The revelation, the music, the enemies... <3

All in all, I think that every document in a mission should be retrievable. Not the books in HUB maps, though.

@TDL Where are the notes about Snowfall? I'm interested in reading them.

There's only one note. It is located just next to the Psionic Shield, in the same room as where you find the MIA Gun. It's weird that you missed it because it's quite hard to miss, being just next to the Psionic Shield O_o

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 18 April 2019 - 01:06 AM, said:

There's only one note. It is located just next to the Psionic Shield, in the same room as where you find the MIA Gun. It's weird that you missed it because it's quite hard to miss, being just next to the Psionic Shield O_o

I guess I was more focused trying to avoid the wandering ghosts, lol.

The only way to get rid of them is the MIA gun right? Snowfall doesn't have any weapon able to break through supernatural defences if I'm not mistaken.

A really interesting closing episode mission.

User is offline   Jblade 

His laser pistol can hurt them, his lightning gun should be able to as well.

View PostJblade, on 18 April 2019 - 02:10 AM, said:

His laser pistol can hurt them, his lightning gun should be able to as well.

I confirm that these two guns can harm ghosts. However if you dual wield the pistols, the left one won't hurt ghosts or robots (you have to use only the right one). There is also the alternate version of the 7th gun which can harm supernatural enemies, even the "you-know-what".

This post has been edited by TheDragonLiner: 18 April 2019 - 02:37 AM

Jblade, just a curiosity.

Could you tell us, should it be not much of a hussle, the sprite numbers of the new grenades so people who want to have them in the loadout can spawn them through the console in any level?

Apparently, none of the new special ammunition found in the Egypt mission is added -Cryo & Electro Grenades, Dragon's Shells. Nevertheless, once I got Dragon's Shells from another map they were added to the loadout.
Since I haven't found more special grenades in later levels I can't confirm this, but if it works as the Dragon's Shells, they should be added...

Much appreciated. :lol:

View PostRhaisher, on 18 April 2019 - 09:17 AM, said:

Jblade, just a curiosity.

Could you tell us, should it be not much of a hussle, the sprite numbers of the new grenades so people who want to have them in the loadout can spawn them through the console in any level?

Apparently, none of the new special ammunition found in the Egypt mission is added -Cryo & Electro Grenades, Dragon's Shells. Nevertheless, once I got Dragon's Shells from another map they were added to the loadout.
Since I haven't found more special grenades in later levels I can't confirm this, but if it works as the Dragon's Shells, they should be added...

Much appreciated. :lol:

I've just tried typing "spawnFORTYMM_CRYO" in the console and it worked !

User is offline   Solais 

Got the AMC Transport research (I guess this spawns later? Didn't find it the first time I explored the new base), and used the above command to unlock the Cryo and Electro rounds research, since they were bugged. Thanks for the tip! I actually got that special gorilla research before, but thanks too!

Now only missing Weapons 7-8, which I think are unimplemented. Also missing Personnel 11, 14, 16.

I don't know if it's related to the fact that my save at the end of Episode 3 was saved on a previous version (still on Ep2 with my second playthrough on Normal difficulty), but if I try to skip the cutscene where the agents use Snowfall's large ship, the cutscene freezes, while the sounds are still playing. The next level still starts, just the cutscene is frozen.

Btw, am I still the only one with the flying drones that don't attack?

This post has been edited by Solais: 18 April 2019 - 02:00 PM

User is offline   John Brown 

I wish I could tell you how I got Personnel 11 and 16 but I honestly forgot.
Spoiler

Regarding the flying quadcopter drones, I remember for a while after Ep 3 dropped, I forget which patch, they did stop firing at me. However, just now, I loaded up the Hong Kong map via usermaps on normal (so I could noclip and get to their spawn point faster). They did indeed attack me, and I remember on my current save (which is on Pro with the latest patches), I do very clearly remember them attacking me with both machine guns and seeker missiles in Neutrino. I hope that helps.

This post has been edited by John Brown: 18 April 2019 - 03:01 PM

View PostSolais, on 18 April 2019 - 01:59 PM, said:

Got the AMC Transport research (I guess this spawns later? Didn't find it the first time I explored the new base), and used the above command to unlock the Cryo and Electro rounds research, since they were bugged. Thanks for the tip! I actually got that special gorilla research before, but thanks too!

Now only missing Weapons 7-8, which I think are unimplemented. Also missing Personnel 11, 14, 16.

I don't know if it's related to the fact that my save at the end of Episode 3 was saved on a previous version (still on Ep2 with my second playthrough on Normal difficulty), but if I try to skip the cutscene where the agents use Snowfall's large ship, the cutscene freezes, while the sounds are still playing. The next level still starts, just the cutscene is frozen.

Btw, am I still the only one with the flying drones that don't attack?

Glad you find it. Now, try Eviction Notice again to check the new starting point. :lol:

User is offline   Jblade 

Save games and code changes don't mix at all, you can still load an old save but it'll be using the old code and will most likely cause unforseen issues down the line. Progress and stuff is still saved in the data folder and the cfg file so you can just return to any AMC base map and carry on from where you were.

The cryo and electro shell stuff should be fixed in the latest patch (I did a few stealth uploads rather than uploading another file, so redownload it if you haven't in a while) I also added in a upgrade machine to the egypt hub and fixed some problems with the variables so you should be able to upgrade your guns now as well :lol:

Project 11 is in the laboratory in Ghost Ship, near the Precog Brains.

Project 14 isn't implemented yet

Project 16 you get from the rifle mercenary

This post has been edited by Jblade: 18 April 2019 - 09:44 PM

I'm TDL, and I'm comin' to feed the rest of your back !
(going too far ?)

_LeSang's Pyramid : Before the level begins, we end the main Hub with a fancy teleportation effect. Along with DisBase, Ghost Ship, Chaos Sphere and this level ... Sounds like you guys really love this effect ! Good thing you made them all distinct from one another. Now the level itself. Quite clearly this is THE big reference to Serious Sam with the night setting and the long walkway to the great pyramid at the back. I was actually expecting to have one big invasion à-la Serious Sam, especially with all the arsenal you're given in the starting area, but no in the end. I don't know if I should be glad or disappointed. The starting area looks cool. The night setting is a very nice change and the light effects around the structures on both sides add to the spectacular style of the setting. Also the music is VERY fitting with all those elements along with being fitting for a boss fight. The beginning of the music actually reminds me of that Firework Factory level from Spyro 3 somehow.

Now I REALLY like that thing with LeSang telling you something different depending on what character you're playing as, especially since he alludes to their respective back-stories. Snowfall's an exception for fairly obvious reasons (especially when we know the end). Too bad Highwire doesn't reply to LeSang though. And who the heck is Galbaland for Zaxtor ? It can't be the Evil Emperor right ?

The first corridors in the pyramid are nice. Though it would be nice if the second door could open just like the first one because the switch is kinda unnecessary IMO. Then this huge room. It's very baren but it's a boss room in the end. Though it makes you expect a huge behemoth that will never come. Also right on my first playthrough I was betting that the ceiling of the pyramid would open just like in Serious Sam. It's very easily predictible but it's cool. Now we finally see the corridor from the introductory briefing. And we finally get to face LeSang, it's about time after all we went through.

So he's basically fighting just like the boss in James's mission in Switzerland in Ep2. Despite being more epic it's kinda easy. The room is just sooooo spacious he's very easy to dodge as long as you let some distance. However it all changes when we get teleported. EPICNESS POWER. That huge moon and the space-like setting along with the good color choices on the environement. You really made this boss fight one of the most, if not possibly THE most, EPIC one of the whole game, seriously. Now it's a bit trickier since space is a bit more limited. I notice there is a unique Invincibility power-up on one of the 2 edges of the arena. It's of no use to me due to my knowledge of the characters allowing me to find the ways to end the fight very quickly despite ignoring the enemy spawns but it's cool to see something new. IMO, Merlijn's possibly the character who can benefit the most from the power up, especially if you don't have the Blunderbuss, I would have taken it if I hadn't got the fully upgraded weapon. The spawning of enemies can render the fight tricky but 1_ You've got the artefacts so if you use them you're good to go and 2_ You've got ALL the weapons and the H item so use them too. And there's even a Super Armor and a Sphere. Ending cinematic's cool. I'm glad to see that it's all between Sang and LeSang since this moment really belongs to him only afterall. And it ends peacefully with a nice shot of the desert at dusk with that AMC Transport voxel which I love even more with this cinematic (as if the previous ones hadn't done that already).

Conclusion : Well there's not much to say really. VERY cool aesthetics with the night time and good works on the lighting. A well made boss fight which is distinct from the one I compared it to from Ep2. It's a short but good experience. Though the complain I would have is that the fight is kinda too easy IMO, after everything we've been through to reach it. Like the Serpent God in Ep2 it mostly depends on your character. With Sang and Geoffrey I mauled him down to bits with the H items and the 8th weapons. Pretty sure James's Laser XM-8 will make short work of him as well. Same with Micky's Meson Cannon and 7th weapon. Rusty and Highwire are a bit more difficult due to their weapons but Highwire's Rocket Launcher is devastating, and Rusty's Pulse Rifle clears the field of battle easilly. Merlijn's Blunderbuss with the upgrades is a killing machine. Zaxtor's Plasma Launcher is devastating, his default Devastator clears the field, and the 0th gun is like a 1-enemy smart bomb. For Snowfall I believe simply planting the 0th gun in the middle of the field and using the 8th weapon is engough. So you see in the end it's a bit too easy IMO. I once used the Sphere on my first try but then the Super Armor and Invincibility I never needed them. That's the only complain, otherwise it's a good conclusion to the Egypt levels. Short but epic.

In the WHOLE of Egypt I must say that I really liked the journey. It's extremely long indeed, I sometimes wondered when it would end but the variety and pacing still kept me going, and there are occasions to get lost since it is THE most non-linear mission of the WHOLE game BUT it's just extremely varied, WAY too varied to be boring. Varied in settings, scales, lengths, pacings, aesthetics, gameplays, fighting styles ... VARIETY EVERYWHERE. It may take an eternity to complete compared to Zeta Base but it is an eternity I really enjoyed. It set me on a drive that just kept me pushing farther and farther, it was a big effort stopping the game for other occupations. If I had to take only 3 missions as my utmost favorites than this Egypt mission would clearly be amongst them ! The only complain, which has been recurrant, that I would formulate is a lack of armors in the levels, apart from The Tomb and the Inner Sanctuary. Because the enemies are so hard to fight, the Cobras are bullet hell with splash dammage, the Grey Anubis just keep spamming their axes and the Skorpion Ladies are Plasma Bullet Hell with Heat Seeking Missiles. It's VERY easy to loose all your armor, hence why I kinda wish there were a bit more. For health items however I don't complain, we're regularly supplied in reasonable ammounts and the supply decreases progressively as you're getting fully stuffed out. And lastly this mission is THE ultimate testing ground for your characters' loadouts if you want to create the most ballanced set for each without taking specific missions into account.

User is offline   Solais 

Ah, thanks Jblade! Didn't know about the stealth updates, will definitely check that out (especially once I start Ep3 on my second playthrough). Great job!

Btw, as I was going through the Hong Kong levels again, I think I have lost the bit of story what exactly happened there. I know that the Triads and the Yakuza worked together, and the Shadow Realm was involved. We take the Yakuza boss out on the island (or well, he takes himself out), and then we go to that tower and the Shadow Realm and we defeat the Serpent God, that we know we didn't actually kill, because it's immortal... but then what's with the Triads? Feels like as if that part was forgotten about.

And man DragonLiner, you just reminded me how much that final level "triggered" me. I played Serious Sam: The First Encounter too many times to count, so when the giant enemy battle didn't happen in that first arena, I was like... not exactly disappointed, but had this urge to check the map's scripting to see if something wasn't bugged, as that was often a problem when I was working on my SS maps and Fusion. It's like wired into me now. :lol:
But definitely loved the reference. I think my biggest problem with the Le Sang fight was that I didn't notice during phase 1 that the edges of the arena opened up to a lava pit, but had no problems otherwise (but again, I played on Easy, will see how it is on Normal soon).

This post has been edited by Solais: 19 April 2019 - 12:40 AM

View PostSolais, on 19 April 2019 - 12:35 AM, said:

But definitely loved the reference. I think my biggest problem with the Le Sang fight was that I didn't notice during phase 1 that the edges of the arena opened up to a lava pit, but had no problems otherwise (but again, I played on Easy, will see how it is on Normal soon).

What there are lava pits O_o ? I didn't notice anything like that, I'll have to check it out again >_>

BTW I got a thing or two to report. Also it would be nice of the patch's change-log could be updated alongside the tweaks to the file.

1_ Snowfall''s hand is White instead of Blue when using Ripper Hearts > Attached Image: duke0000.png
2_ Snowfall doesn't have his suit when performing a upercut >> Attached Image: duke0002.png

User is offline   Solais 

Seeing other drone-like enemies being confused (like the big blue one on Ghost Ship), the quad drones not always attacking might be due to that research that makes the cycloid drones triggering their detonation late. Might be that the research affects all drone-type attacks.

Edit: Okay, so I noticed a weird thing on Ghost Ship. This is version 3.2 (started new game after patching), but not the secretly updated one, so I don't know this was addressed in that version or not. But for some reason, every Shadow Imp enemy on this level tries to move towards a certain point of the level. They don't attack me, they are just walking into the wall, all of them, across the entire level, as if trying to walk towards a single point in the map. Screenshot here: https://i.imgur.com/f6oNTNw.png

Edit 2: https://i.imgur.com/sgejYg0.png - The cacodemons that appear at the side of the ship also try to move towards some unknown location, getting stuck on walls, but at least they do stop for a moment to do potshots at me.

This post has been edited by Solais: 19 April 2019 - 03:20 AM

There's feedback incoming ? CODE RED !!!!

_Under Attack : It was so sudden, I was expecting a mid-episode briefing or a cutscene. Anyway even though you're under attack you at least have ALL the time in the world to prepare yourself for the challenge. This level is THE hardest of the entire episode IMO. First order of affair, if you have the Emergency Foam upgrade then you already have a card on your side, because there are a bunch of medical machines around the underground level and the one in the Command Center boast a fair 300 or so HPs so be sure to use them all along with the 50 or so from the Research Division and Hanger. Also having access to the armory is really nice AND it's IMPERATIVE that you pick a good weapon in order to have another card on your side.

Let me give you some numbers > 50 Crossbow !, 100 Sawn-off ! 300 Tommy Gun !! 50 Laser ! 20 Missiles ! 300 Calico ! 300 MP-40 ! 300 M-16 !! 300 AK !!! 300 FAL !!!! And yet these are my personal best choices because the other guns are disappointing, like only 50 for the MAC-10s and 12 for the Riot Gun for instance. Personally the bests are Crossbow and FAL IMO though the Missile Launcher can be handy on certain occasions.

So when you go to the Research Division you get assaulted by a bunch of Elder Paradigm, it's devastating ! Good thing they're not as overpowered as in old Ep2, and good thing there's those medical devices arround. Though the desks kinda help if you're handy at it. Going through a hole in the floor of the Canteen shows some new room. I didn't expect to find a sort of casern for AMC Troopers there. Unfortunately this place doesn't boast anything usefull apart from 1 ammo pick-up for 3rd and 4th guns, but you'll need them trust me. So in the end there's nothing to do here. It's basically the easiest segment of the level. Going to the telep .... PDU Message ? Oh yeah sure ! I'm definitely going to the Command Center to launch a mission right know ! Of course ! (Sarcasm sorry ^^).

So right away we see the main gate explode and swarms of cultists coming in. Nicely done, though you'd better not go there as this level is already going to be hard enough. Going up and the sadness happens. Seeing all those neat rooms totally ruined, especially Merlijn's what a shame ! Also in Rusty's room you find one of the 2 and ONLY armors in the WHOLE level. You'd damn well better keep them AT ALL COST ! ESPECIALLY on Armagedon difficulty because the end of the level almost got me to restart everything because of no armor. Even though you don't really have time to read the PDU due to the emergency it's a good thing we are well directed in the level. Like we've roamed arround here for years ! Just telling you to go to Mikko's room and then telling you to go near Highwire's is enough to guide you the whole way.

You can get to fight 2 big Patrol Drones on your way up, hence why it's important to have good guns equiped and a good pick from the armory. Then as we go back inside this is the determining point, especially on Armagedon. How much you are going to get sniped on your way to the AMC Transport access shaft. On my Armagedon run I lost almost all my armor there, very frustrating and it basically almost doomed my chances to complete the level at the end. Once again the PDU text says not much but just enough to be clear since we know the base by heart with all these years.

Now going down the Research Division. Some easy cultists thanks to the sloped sides of the doors that makes them not retaliate. Getting the Virus shows a nice looking room, the nicest of the whole level IMO. Then as we make our way to the reactor room we go through ONE HELL of a GAUNTLET with all those freaking Elder Cultists ! How much armor you manage to salvage from this will be THE determining factor for the end of the level, especially on Armageddon. We get to see the Prison area. It's nice that we get to see som brand new, unseen areas. Also secret elevator to Micky's room (the only spared one). Depending on your character it can be a valuable secret trust me.

This is where it's lagging a bunch for me. It's just there's so much happening at once ! Also hearing those constant Paradigm speeches gets a bit onnerving with time. Reactor room is nice though, yet again, if you got no armor Pro and Armageddon you're almost doomed. Even if you pick the Jetpack (easy to miss) and hit the button swiftly. You're very vulnerable when using the switch but you can't afford trying to fight the enemies. Personally I run away and climb the stairs instead of flying because it allows for some peace and a more strategic take on the final dash out of here. Last bit, the central room before the end. On Armageddon I died A LOT because you get nailed down in 2 seconds and having no armor just dooms you to relying on luck. This is THE moment that is potentially severely unfair depending on how well you preserved your armor against those freaking Elders. After that you're finally out of your predicament.

Conclusion : So in the end. The level is well made, and well scripted. Surely it's the Call Of Duty style moment of the game but still. And it takes good advantage of the base's architecture and the fact we are supposed to know the map by heart right from the start. This is why you're never lost in your objective. You're not told much but since you know the base from the ground up then it's enough to do the trick. I don't really like the level because of the fact there are way too many Elder Cultists which make short work of your armor which makes escaping a daring Poker move.

Actually, if I had known, on my Armagedon run, that you could escape from any hole the Paradigm dug, then taking the hole in the Research Division would have saved me A LOT of deaths !. As for the Cinematics. To avoid spoilers I will just say that I really liked it because of 2 main factors. Firstly it answers many questions regarding the plot after Episode 2 ended and it gives more sense and coherence to the plot and universe. Though it also starts to venture in a territory that can lead to overly confusing stuff if handled badly so I advise you guys to keep it at this current level of complexity, because dealing with that subject can lead to a level of complexity that will drop all the non-fanatics off. The second factor why I really like this cinematic is the fact that, of ALL the cinematics of the game, this one is THE most worked on and cinematographically GOOD. Well put into scene, with good voice acting, good rythm, a fluid flow of information, easy to follow though a second look doesn't hurt. And it serves as a good transition for both the middle of the episode and the middle of the whole game since they're going for 5 episodes presumably. So yeah, when they say the AMC has been hit hard they're not joking because I myself have been hit hard in the attack !

Next stop will be a calm little touristic tour, in the Brand Spanking New AMC HQ !

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

You didn't see it coming? I thought I accidentally leaked the event a few years ago, and you always seemed to remember everything :lol:

View PostMicky C, on 20 April 2019 - 12:21 AM, said:

You didn't see it coming? I thought I accidentally leaked the event a few years ago, and you always seemed to remember everything :lol:

I told myself the exact same thing when it was far too late ^^;
(yesterday)

This post has been edited by TheDragonLiner: 20 April 2019 - 12:28 AM

User is offline   Solais 

In a way, the moment I started playing this game and seen that there was a hub level, I knew it will get attacked or destroyed at one point. It is the going-to trope when it comes to hub levels: If there's one, you know it will be attacked. Because hub levels always represent a safe place, a home for the player, even if they don't like it that much, they will get attached to it. And the best way to surprise the player, to make them feel vulnerable, to make them seek vengeance, is to attack their home. I personally loved the level, because of it. I may have not been running around the map for years like you guys, but by that point of my playthrough, it definitely felt like home!

This post has been edited by Solais: 20 April 2019 - 02:20 AM

• Honored Donor

I don't think it was ever part of the plan to destroy the base. I'd started building the 2nd AMC Base during Episode 2's development as a way to allow new characters to join the Squad, since the interior of the original base was filled up (my own room is a glorified walk-in closet).

IIRC James suggested the idea during Episode 3's development, and I started "demolishing" rooms, adding smoke and explosions, as well as previously-unseen areas. The demolition in particular was a very interesting process. Naturally it made sense to completely switch over to the new base, which was promptly finished up.

Edit: I'll note the map was very ambitious in having to pull off the look and feel of actively being invaded and having it feel authentic. I think it was pulled off fairly well considering the base certainly wasn't originally designed with this scenario in mind all those years ago, not to mention the engine limitations.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 20 April 2019 - 05:39 AM

User is offline   Solais 

Have to say, you are doing professional level work here, guys!

• Honored Donor

Thanks! You should also check out DNF 2013 if you haven't already. A pretty nice invaded base is in there as well.

To prove you wrong, I don't think the Starship Troopers TC's hub base ever gets invaded Posted Image
Then again I never finished that TC so I could be wrong Posted Image

View PostMicky C, on 20 April 2019 - 05:38 AM, said:

Thanks! You should also check out DNF 2013 if you haven't already. A pretty nice invaded base is in there as well.

To prove you wrong, I don't think the Starship Troopers TC's hub base ever gets invaded Posted Image
Then again I never finished that TC so I could be wrong Posted Image

It's kinda weird because, the first time you visit the base, people shoot around as if it were invaded but no in the end. Also if you play the additional episodes from the Add-on Compilation you will eventually stumble across a home base which actually IS attacked !
And you got to go through the swarm of enemies to retrieve a keycard to reach the exit of the base, but not too slowly because I had them invade the insides once >_>

User is offline   Solais 

I played DNF 2013 (it's neat, but feels lackluster), and I think I remember the Starship Troopers TC from when I was still a kid, but I never finished that either. :lol:

Mind, I'm not talking about invaded bases as a concept for levels, but invaded hub levels, or just changing hub levels that the player grown attached to. There's a lot more emotion involved in changing or taking away something familiar like that.

Since we are talking about AMC Base 1, it would be worth mentioning that, since you changed the underwater section in the HUB map (it looks way better now), it would be good to make the underwater section of the Under Attack map the same. :lol:

View PostRhaisher, on 20 April 2019 - 09:22 AM, said:

Since we are talking about AMC Base 1, it would be worth mentioning that, since you changed the underwater section in the HUB map (it looks way better now), it would be good to make the underwater section of the Under Attack map the same. :lol:

There's an underwater section O_o ? I thought the only water in that level was either the flooded AMC Transport platform or the small lake near the Shopkeer's den >_>

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options