• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D Voxel Pack

User is offline   Borion 

View PostNightFright, on 10 April 2019 - 04:58 AM, said:

Since I forgot to comment on that:
Go right ahead on this one if you feel like it. Wouldn't count it as a monster directly, either. I am not sure how it will behave in rooms with a lot of slimer eggs like "Overlord" or "Derelict", but we can test it once the voxel is available. On modern machines I don't expect a huge impact, though.

Ok!

I noticed one of switches is missing, not anymore
Switch (0140-0141)
Posted Image
KVX: https://mega.nz/#!su...n4Ll3PDjcHY8Ivs

User is offline   Borion 

View PostPhredreeke, on 10 April 2019 - 05:44 AM, said:

This may be a crazy idea but we could test it preliminarily by defining an existing voxel of similar size as the slimer egg then load a level with lots of them to see what the impact is.

Good idea!

User is offline   Phredreeke 

I defined the slimer eggs as the first frame of the holoduke voxel.

Framerate dropped to 190 fps in Polymost, from a framerate around 1800-2200 fps outside the room

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0396.png

User is offline   fgsfds 

Are you using the latest EDuke build? Since EDuke added VBO, voxels don't affect performance that much.

This post has been edited by fgsfds: 10 April 2019 - 06:17 AM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I checked the final room of "Derelict" with RPG ammo boxes as replacements for the eggs (#675 here, not #558) and couldn't see any significant slowdown. Maybe my machine is also just too powerful to fall below 60 FPS, but I would assume the performance impact under normal circumstances should be negligible unless there's a user map with insane amounts of eggs in one room. I tested with latest build, r7574, Polymost.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 10 April 2019 - 06:16 AM

User is offline   Borion 

I forgot about switches.def lines for Lever Switch:

// Lever Switch OFF (140)
voxel "voxels/switches/0140_leverswitch_OFF.kvx" { scale 1 tile 140 }

// Lever Switch ON (141)
voxel "voxels/switches/0141_leverswitch_ON.kvx" { scale 1 tile 141 }

Good to hear that with this fake egg replacement overall performance is acceptable.

• The Truth is in here

The thing is there are two versions for the egg: 558 (which seems to be a decoration or something) and 675 (from which the slimers emerge). I guess the voxel would work for both, but the one that opens would need more than one voxel to be complete.

User is offline   Borion 

View PostNightFright, on 10 April 2019 - 08:26 AM, said:

The thing is there are two versions for the egg: 558 (which seems to be a decoration or something) and 675 (from which the slimers emerge). I guess the voxel would work for both, but the one that opens would need more than one voxel to be complete.

Ahh, so thats what 558 is for. Thanks for clarifying it.

Yes, I assumed frames 676 & 677 need to be voxelized too.

User is offline   Borion 

First frame of egg is finished
Posted Image

• The Truth is in here

Had to look twice to see it wasn't the sprites any more. In the context of this project, that's the equivalent of saying it's as good as it can possibly get.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Jesus dude. Are you on Adderall? You are an absolute machine. Great work.

• The Truth is in here

More importantly: Where the hell have you been all these years?

But seriously, I love when all of a sudden one or two guys appear out of nowhere, dishing out one masterpiece after the other. My faith in mankind is officially restored.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 10 April 2019 - 11:49 AM

User is offline   Borion 

View PostNightFright, on 10 April 2019 - 10:30 AM, said:

Had to look twice to see it wasn't the sprites any more. In the context of this project, that's the equivalent of saying it's as good as it can possibly get.

Wow, appreciated!

Jesus dude. Are you on Adderall? You are an absolute machine.

Hahahaha...no, thats just Dallmair coffee magic :lol:

Thanks for all kind words guys!

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

BTW, if scale is 1 then you may omit the scale token from the def entirely.

User is offline   Borion 

View PostHendricks266, on 10 April 2019 - 01:56 PM, said:

BTW, if scale is 1 then you may omit the scale token from the def entirely.

Ok, thanks Hendricks266!

• The Truth is in here

Good advice. Will apply this to the voxel pack defs retroactively, where applicable.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Is there some kind of official to-do for this project?

I.e switches, pickups, props etc.

• The Truth is in here

Not quite. The primary goal still is to finish all pickups, which is almost done (Shrinker WIP, jetpack awaiting third and hopefully final remake, Atomic Health pending). It's easier to say what's done than what is not, though.

Would it be possible to make pickupa dropped from killed enemies or from broken objects rotate without affecting all pickups of that type?

• The Truth is in here

I know what you are talking about. GZDoom has this option. I dunno if this can be done via con code or would require a new command to be added to EDuke32.

User is offline   Mark 

I scrolled thru about 12 pages so far in this thread looking for the latest voxel pack download but didn't find anything other than the original 2011 download in the first post. Does anyone know if there is a newer download somewhere?

This post has been edited by Mark: 11 April 2019 - 08:41 AM

There is a download on the HRP website from about a year ago. I think that's the latest one compiled into one download.

This makes me wonder... with the new voxels will we have to go back and update the maphacks?

• The Truth is in here

That shouldn't be needed unless voxels have different alignment than models. That's where the rotation script actually comes in handy. But it's not necessary. What I have seen so far looked just fine.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 11 April 2019 - 10:04 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Someone mentioned maphacks. I see LeoD lurking in the shadows. :lol:

This post has been edited by Mark: 11 April 2019 - 10:10 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostPhredreeke, on 11 April 2019 - 09:09 AM, said:

There is a download on the HRP website from about a year ago. I think that's the latest one compiled into one download.
This makes me wonder... with the new voxels will we have to go back and update the maphacks?
Generally speaking: No.
Caveat:
- the voxels need to be no bigger than the corresponding models
- their orientation (and offset, if any) should match the models

Voxels which have no model counterpart (are there any?) are usually not covered by current MHKs.
Some models, especially those rarely used in the original maps, may have wrong orientation or some undesired offset, probably to fit into the game without maphacks. Reproducing these shortcomings should be considered since (semi)automatically patching hundreds of existing MHK files might do more damage than it actually fixes.
I don't know if pitch/roll maphack operations (which also implies "moving" objects) are actually working on voxels nowadays. Last time I checked they did not, but I think I've read something lately...
Additional information is available in hrp_todo.txt and [User]MapHacks.txt.

• The Truth is in here

I wouldn't worry about maphacks right now. The ones we have will do just fine. Keep those voxels comin'! Throw in that Adderall/Dallmair/<insert name of your favorite drug here>!

This post has been edited by NightFright: 11 April 2019 - 10:36 AM

I was thinking of the World Tour episode :lol:

• The Truth is in here

I am not sure if we have maphacks for that at all. Not even for HRP. It's an old discussion, you need a maphack conversion for all maps and then write all-new ones for ep.5. If one of you has enough time... :lol:

This post has been edited by NightFright: 11 April 2019 - 11:30 AM

Did you forget about the ones I sent you? (for ep 5)

• The Truth is in here

I guess they are in by now. Not in v1.21 still, though. We are missing the updated WT ep. 1-4 maps, but I think it was mentioned somewhere else that an automated/scripted conversion may be possible.

Share this topic:

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options