Duke4.net Forums: SWP maintenance update - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SWP maintenance update

A while ago I downloaded and tried this SWP 4.3.3 beta 3 made by Hendricks266. It runs great and fixes a few bugs from the last 4.3.2 release. Since there's little information about it, I'd like to ask how's the development going along? Can we expect a new release soon? Any clues regarding some odd bugs that ProASM was never able to fix (like the random blackouts)?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Not sure if you’ve heard this, but there’ll be a new SW port based on eduke32 in the future. We’re not sure when it’ll happen, but there’s little motivation to work on an old port like SWP when a superior one is around the corner.

There’s already an eduke32 blood port, and that would have been more difficult to pull off than SW, since the blood code is more different and there wasn’t a proper source release.

I didn't know about another SW port. For Blood I've been using BloodGDX, which I'm loving since the first release.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Right now, I think the only SW "port" that lets you play without problems (and music working without requiring CD in drive) is Shadow Warrior Classic Redux. I have only played the game with it once, but an EDuke32-based port will certainly make me return to it.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I played SWP 4.3.2 a great while ago and I don't remember running into any serious bugs, unlike JFSW, from which I assumed that it was basically stable. But admittedly I didn't do any extensive testing back then; I might have just played the shareware version, in fact.

The more recent problem I had with 4.3.2 is the sound issue on newer Windows systems, but that was fixed with 4.3.3.

There's indeed a certain lack of documentation when it comes to the strengths and weaknesses of the available options for running SW natively on modern systems. I remember some people mentioning problems with Redux as well, although I'm not sure what exactly that were.

User is offline   necroslut 

4.3.3 still seems to be a bit crashy, especially upon loading games, but so is Redux (or DOSBox).
I also don't seem to be able to run classic/8-bit in fullscreen mode; is that just me?

Every version crash a lot for me if I enable GoodAlpha, but that was since the early JFSW releases. If I don't, it stays stable.

I have been doing some maintenance on SWP over the last few months which Hendricks266 has accepted into his repo (go there if you want source). Save and restore of games is more reliable than the current "official" release, but not perfect; there is one intermittent bug that crashes the game in the menu code during savegame load. It will take a while to track that one down and RL has prevented me from doing as much on it over the last few months that I wanted to. But because it's not as crashy as the current public version, here it is, for those who want it:

SWP 7578aa3

I too would love to consign SWP to the dustbin of history, but as the team have their hands full with ION Maiden and so on, VoidSW could be a long time coming. So we're stuck with SWP for now :lol:

Thanks for still supporting it!

User is offline   Avoozl 

View PostMrFlibble, on 14 April 2019 - 05:12 AM, said:

The more recent problem I had with 4.3.2 is the sound issue on newer Windows systems, but that was fixed with 4.3.3.
I had crackling sound and I managed to fix it by setting compatibility to windows 7.

I have only been using 4.3.0 since the later entries (4.3.1 and 4.3.2) added more issues and I heard that they only do minor changes to the engine, I still have to use an iso for CD music however.

This post has been edited by Avoozl: 14 May 2019 - 04:55 PM

Those random blackouts still happen, and ProASM never had a clue on what causes them.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options