• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D Voxel Pack

User is offline   Kyanos 

i have the shrinker here i did a couple years ago will post it tomorrow

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

A couple of YEARS ago? And you have never even thought of sharing it since then? Bring it forth, this missing pickup!

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 April 2019 - 09:58 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

It's really awesome how this project has a few different authors, yet the quality and style remain consistent throughout.

User is offline   Borion 

It looks pixelated compared to other objects, but thats resolution of original sprite.
I think it looks ok with scale 1.2 or 1.5 in pickups.def, default scale makes it look tiny.

Posted Image
KVX: https://mega.nz/#!p6...8tqmXSePP0DB9M4

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostNightFright, on 02 April 2019 - 09:57 PM, said:

A couple of YEARS ago? And you have never even thought of sharing it since then? Bring it forth, this missing pickup!

Attached Image: duke0003.png

It isn't quite done. The front needs something that isn't visible on any sprites, like a projectile opening, the bottom and back need some detail/noise added. This pickup takes details from the first person sprites and from above it looks much different than the pickup sprite in game. I'll post it as it sits, and ask kindly for some artistic suggestions from you guys. Specifically what to do about the front, and how do you think the top looks in game.
Attached File  0025_shrinker.zip (14.17K)
Number of downloads: 372

This post has been edited by Photonic: 03 April 2019 - 03:44 PM

User is offline   Borion 

View PostPhotonic, on 03 April 2019 - 03:40 PM, said:

Attachment duke0003.png

It isn't quite done. The front needs something that isn't visible on any sprites, like a projectile opening, the bottom and back need some detail/noise added. This pickup takes details from the first person sprites and from above it looks much different than the pickup sprite in game. I'll post it as it sits, and ask kindly for some artistic suggestions from you guys. Specifically what to do about the front, and how do you think the top looks in game.
Attachment 0025_shrinker.zip

Hi Photonic! I remember seeing once a drawing of shrinker, some early concept art showing it's general structure, proportions, and how it uses brains as ammunition. I tried to find it, but unfortunately I found nothing shrinker related. Maybe some more knowledgable members of this community can chime-in.

Now, getting to 'artistic suggestions' that You asked for, please don't take them as attempt to patronize You, I have a lot of respect & appreciation for Your work, like to other members of this community :lol:

IMHO overall width and lenght of shrinker are a little bit exaggerated. Also, I would make it less "boxy", more curved, especially in front and on sides. This weapon suppose to hold green glowing brain inside. We suppose to see this brain inside this "cage" in middle part of a weapon.
I think it could be a good idea to remove some details until proportions and form is right, add them after that.

Have a good day!

User is offline   Borion 

I also have to ask for your artistic input guys.

I was not sure about my jetpacks design & looks, so I did some digging and I found this concept art:
Posted Image

It looks like I misinterpreted parts of original sprite. DN3D sprites are generally imprecise and inconsistent, so this is not the end of the world. But still, this drawing shows what was the original intent for various parts of jetpack.
I obviously took some "creative liberties" with exhaust outlets location and winglets.

I got two three things in defence of my exhausts location:
- it provides better stability during flight - super important for someone that flights & shoots
- there is no risk of burning lower part of users body - look at location of exhaust outlets!
- instead of using those little winglets, my jetpack control flight direction with exhausts. IMHO its much more practical and realistic.

I would like to hear what you folks think, if this thing should stay as it is, or it should be adjusted/complitely redone. Thank you!

• The Truth is in here

Your current version looks fine to me and is fully sufficient as an entry for this project. Considering that you were never able to see the rear side of the jetpack sprite due to its 2D nature, your extrapolations should do just fine IMHO. The sprite is only offered as an angled view ingame, so it's hard to tell if the front parts are absolutely symmetrical, but a close look at the 2D art tells me they should be.

If you really want to improve something, I would move the two exhaust/propulsion thrusters more towards the inside (i.e. make them stick out less) [A] and add another two bulky/round-shaped "thingies" where the upper parts of the straps are attached to the jetpack [B]. You interpreted B as a part of A, but to me it looks more like there's a second part sticking out behind the thrusters which has probably something to do with the straps.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 04 April 2019 - 04:50 AM

User is offline   Borion 

View PostNightFright, on 04 April 2019 - 04:38 AM, said:

Your current version looks fine to me and is fully sufficient as an entry for this project. Considering that you were never able to see the rear side of the jetpack sprite due to its 2D nature, your extrapolations should do just fine IMHO. The sprite is only offered as an angled view ingame, so it's hard to tell if the front parts are absolutely symmetrical, but a close look at the 2D art tells me they should be.

Ok, glad to hear that!

View PostNightFright, on 04 April 2019 - 04:38 AM, said:

If you really want to improve something, I would move the two exhaust/propulsion thrusters more towards the inside (i.e. make them stick out less) [A] and add another two bulky/round-shaped "thingies" where the upper parts of the straps are attached to the jetpack [B]. You interpreted B as a part of A, but to me it looks more like there's a second part sticking out behind the thrusters which has probably something to do with the straps.

Those all are good points. Two bulky/round-shaped "thingies" might be couple of things, but like you say it's probably about straps.
I'll follow both suggestions while making improvements.

Meanwhile, I got another small thing to share. Hydrant (0981):
Posted Image
KVX: https://mega.nz/#!Qy...kpuRZ-ltIxT9evw

User is online   fgsfds 

Great job. Really like the stuff you've made so far.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I hope all of these recent voxels have a scale of 1 because none of them came with def code.

User is offline   Borion 

View Postfgsfds, on 04 April 2019 - 07:46 AM, said:

Great job. Really like the stuff you've made so far.

Thanks!

View PostTrooper Dan, on 04 April 2019 - 11:26 AM, said:

I hope all of these recent voxels have a scale of 1 because none of them came with def code.

It's all strictly in X/Y resolution of original sprites, so there is no need to adjust scale :lol: Besides jetpack, that has same resolution as sprite, but looks better with scale 1.2 or 1.5.
All of posted models were tested in-game via edits of voxel pack *.def files (no scale/position adjustments). I checked all these stuff with both vanilla DN3D maps and my own little test areas. All pivot settings seem to be fine.
Of course if anyone finds some mistakes, I'll be delighted to correct them :lol:

This post has been edited by Borion: 04 April 2019 - 11:55 AM

• The Truth is in here

In my current setup I am using scale 1.2 for the jetpack and it's fine.

It's always a good idea to provide a line with the def code when releasing the model, even if it's using default settings.

Btw the animtilerange for the HoloDuke is wrong in current voxel pack. No idea how it could work flawlessly with this mistake, but it does. It will be corrected in the next release, though. Curious about the jetpack adjustments and improvements on that Shrinker. The Atomic Health may take longer, though.

Great job with the new contributions, guys! It's nice to see people actively modelling again after a while, considering the current situation with our HRP.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 04 April 2019 - 12:22 PM

User is offline   Borion 

View PostNightFright, on 04 April 2019 - 12:07 PM, said:

All the voxels recently posted work with scale 1. Even the jetpack would normally have the size of the sprite with scale 1, but the straps are so small then only Tyrion could wear the thing.
In my current setup I am using scale 1.2 for the jetpack and it's fine.

Yes, Tyrion would fit just right in that 1.0 scale jetpack, ha!

View PostNightFright, on 04 April 2019 - 12:07 PM, said:

It's always a good idea to provide a line with the def code when releasing the model, even if it's using default settings.

Ok, I will do that in the future. I'll also post list of def code for all posted models tomorrow.

User is offline   Kyanos 

I only tested the shrinker in game yesterday for the first time. I noticed that the voxel is larger than the sprite by roughly 5-10% even though it is the exact same resolution as the sprite, same number of voxels long as pixels. At scale of 1 I expected them to be the same size, to be clear I switched back and forth between polymer and polymost to compare.

View PostBorion, on 04 April 2019 - 02:31 AM, said:

Hi Photonic! I remember seeing once a drawing of shrinker, some early concept art showing it's general structure, proportions, and how it uses brains as ammunition. I tried to find it, but unfortunately I found nothing shrinker related. Maybe some more knowledgable members of this community can chime-in.

Now, getting to 'artistic suggestions' that You asked for, please don't take them as attempt to patronize You, I have a lot of respect & appreciation for Your work, like to other members of this community :lol:

IMHO overall width and lenght of shrinker are a little bit exaggerated. Also, I would make it less "boxy", more curved, especially in front and on sides. This weapon suppose to hold green glowing brain inside. We suppose to see this brain inside this "cage" in middle part of a weapon.
I think it could be a good idea to remove some details until proportions and form is right, add them after that.

Have a good day!

Hi Borion, thanks for your input. Funnily enough I did do just that back when I was trying to figure this out. I went much thinner without any of the top details (green hue and yellow lights) that came from the first person sprites. I think that version may be a better fit to the original sprite, we can just assume Duke has to turn it on before we see lights, I think they may have been full bright colors also which would be an issue for sure.

So I'm going to rework this, coming back with thinner, more curved and less top details.

Also I like what I've seen of your work so far too, it's great to see more voxel art in general but especially for Duke :lol:

User is offline   Kyanos 

On another note. I feel that the rotation script should ship default off. IMO it kinda ruins the immersivity.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Just keep in mind, part of the original shrinker sprite is sunken in the ground, thus the voxel would look bigger despite being the same dimensions, so IMHO, the one you have now is fine.

This post has been edited by Striker: 04 April 2019 - 08:44 PM

• The Truth is in here

Next voxel pack release will come with rotations deactivated by default. I still think it's a useful feature, especially if you are playing w/o maphacks, but ultimately it's about personal preference.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Attached Image: shrinkers-wip.png

I tweaked the shape of the shrinker a lot here, from 32 wide to 20. Now I'm torn on which version should get the finishing touches, I think I'm leaning towards this new sleeker model.

Attached File  0025_shrinker.zip (12.95K)
Number of downloads: 390

User is offline   Borion 

View PostPhotonic, on 05 April 2019 - 05:33 PM, said:

Attachment shrinkers-wip.png

I tweaked the shape of the shrinker a lot here, from 32 wide to 20. Now I'm torn on which version should get the finishing touches, I think I'm leaning towards this new sleeker model.

I think new version is great improvement over older one, Photonic! IMHO all elements got right proportions, besides middle upper part. I think it should be wider & clearly expose brain/cristal. It is also glowing when weapon is inactive, glowing part is visible on a side of a weapon sprite.

Yesterday I played a bit with your older version, just out of curiosity of middle part of this strange weapon. Maybe you will find some use for it, cannibalise it freely :lol:
This is how looks like in editor (don't mind brown masks):

Posted Image
KVX: https://mega.nz/#!li...RYgPEcD9WGxgIWQ

This post has been edited by Lunick: 14 May 2019 - 08:39 PM

• Auramancer

View PostPhotonic, on 05 April 2019 - 05:33 PM, said:

Attachment shrinkers-wip.png

The 2nd one is too thin, and looks nothing like the 1st-person weapon, but would be neat as a redesign if there were new weapon sprites to accompany it.

• Auramancer

View PostBorion, on 05 April 2019 - 06:14 PM, said:

I think new version is great improvement over older one, Photonic! IMHO all elements got right proportions, besides middle upper part. I think it should be wider & clearly expose brain/cristal. It is also glowing when weapon is inactive, glowing part is visible on a side of a weapon sprite.

Yesterday I played a bit with your older version, just out of curiosity of middle part of this strange weapon. Maybe you will find some use for it, cannibalise it freely :lol:
This is how looks like in editor (don't mind brown masks):

Posted Image
KVX: https://mega.nz/#!li...RYgPEcD9WGxgIWQ

This looks pretty good.

User is offline   Borion 

Improved jetpack.
Few things were changed to make its appearance closer to original.

Posted Image
KVX: https://mega.nz/#!Yy...5d-ZxPWYS-T8ZFc

EDIT:
I made model and straps a little bit more massive, it is fine now with default scale 1.0

pickups.def line:
// Jetpack (57)
voxel "voxels/pickups/0057_JETPACK.kvx" { scale 1 tile 57 }

This post has been edited by Lunick: 14 May 2019 - 08:40 PM

User is offline   Borion 

Simple conversion. It is very slim - just 3 voxels of Z depth - to not mess some places where it is placed close to other objects. Like end of E1M2.

props.def line:
// Gate (915)
voxel "voxels/props/0915_GATE.kvx" { scale 1 tile 915 }

Posted Image
KVX: https://mega.nz/#!p3...lfKz9q-zDzphDrg

This post has been edited by Lunick: 14 May 2019 - 08:41 PM

• The Truth is in here

Jetpack now has my seal of approval. Not that it needed it, but at least I can say I really have nothing to criticize about it any more. Nice details you added there with those two brown lines at the top, whatever those are.

User is offline   Borion 

View PostNightFright, on 06 April 2019 - 07:21 AM, said:

Jetpack now has my seal of approval. Not that it needed it, but at least I can say I really have nothing to criticize about it any more. Nice details you added there with those two brown lines at the top, whatever those are.

Thanks, I appreciate that complement :lol:

Those brown things are something I noticed on Duke sprites. There are two brown cables bowing over Duke shoulders. On one end they are connected to jetpack, on the other they are attached to Duke torso with some handles(?) or buttons(?).
I assumed they are some controlling devices.

EDIT:
It is visible here
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Lunick: 14 May 2019 - 08:41 PM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

great graphics

nice stuff, really nice

User is offline   Borion 

View PostZaxtor, on 06 April 2019 - 02:21 PM, said:

great graphics

nice stuff, really nice

Thank you!

I'm happy that I can share these things with you people. I wanted to do voxel models inside Build Engine games since I was 12 yo and it haunted me for years.
Time to deal with it :lol:

I started exit level button aka Nuke Button
Posted Image

I'm not sure if doing end-level button in voxels is a good idea, It might look super bad in first person view. But it can look great too, so it's worth trying.

I tried to load first frame of this model. For some reason it is not working.
Line that I used in props.def:

// Nuke Button (142)
voxel "voxels/props/0142_NukeButto_VIP.kvx" { scale 1 tile 142 }

KVX file of first frame: https://mega.nz/#!5i...ZjFDdg5rgA1makE

This post has been edited by Lunick: 14 May 2019 - 08:42 PM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

I'm sure poly2vox is used

I tried to use poly2vox
Crash / exit soo fast.
Wont give me the time to read the error

With Windows 7 you can "disable close on exit" so it let you read the error.
not on Win10, not to my knowledge

So what you think is the cause of the crash. Kinda "pressing X on corner genre crash"

User is offline   Borion 

View PostZaxtor, on 06 April 2019 - 07:16 PM, said:

I'm sure poly2vox is used

I tried to use poly2vox
Crash / exit soo fast.
Wont give me the time to read the error

With Windows 7 you can "disable close on exit" so it let you read the error.
not on Win10, not to my knowledge

So what you think is the cause of the crash. Kinda "pressing X on corner genre crash"

I think it is not a crash, just the normal way CLI programs act.
Poly2Vox is command line tool, so run it from Command Prompt.
You need to use it like DOS program, with text commands. Google ‘command prompt win10’.

This post has been edited by Borion: 06 April 2019 - 09:06 PM

Share this topic:

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options