Duke4.net Forums: Alien Armageddon [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Armageddon [RELEASE]  "showcasing sebabdukeboss20 characters with some enhancements"

User is offline   Marya 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 16 March 2019 - 12:58 PM, said:

Bugs are not awesome, and yes I did the coding. It's very difficult to eliminate these sorts of issues, when it's something that gets reported once and has never been seen by anyone developing the mod.
At least, take the compliment.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 16 March 2019 - 02:12 PM, said:

Yes, that is the intended way to do that part. It's a puzzle.

I honestly would have not figured that one out had it not been for pagb666's walkthrough video series. :)

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 16 March 2019 - 02:46 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 16 March 2019 - 12:33 PM, said:

So I finally finished New Invasion. Minor gripes aside, it was quite good and felt and looked like an official fifth Duke Nukem 3D episode!

One issue with the final cutscene, though: the first screen's text gets almost completely cut off and as such, I could only read the last line. Also, is there supposed to be any music playing during it? The whole thing was entirely silent.

I cannot replicate this. For me, all the screens display normally and are entirely readable. Also, if you have music turned off, then there is no music at the end. When I play with music on it works correctly -- a different theme starts playing when the final boss spawns, then that theme continues (as intended) through the final cutscene.

I have a patch I'm about to release so I checked on these things to see if they were broken. My guess is you are using a screen resolution that does not work with the cutscene screens for some reason (I run at 1920x1080 wide). I have no idea why the music wasn't working for you, unless you just had music turned off.

User is online   Ninety-Six 

I can second the cut off text error. My res is 1600x900

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNinety-Six, on 17 March 2019 - 06:59 PM, said:

I can second the cut off text error. My res is 1600x900

Ah...Unfortunately, my laptop does not allow me to use that resolution unless I am in windowed mode. In windowed mode, the screens display correctly at 1600x900. So, I still can't replicate the problem.

This will have to wait until a later patch I guess.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 17 March 2019 - 07:23 PM, said:

Ah...Unfortunately, my laptop does not allow me to use that resolution unless I am in windowed mode. In windowed mode, the screens display correctly at 1600x900. So, I still can't replicate the problem.

That's weird because I actually play at windowed, and it's still cut off for me.

I also want to quickly add that of all the cutscene screens I've seen (original 4 episodes, intro to New Invasion, intro and ending to DC, and intro to Carribbean), that is the only one that has that problem. And it's only that one frame, too.

I'll also add that I'm playing the 32-bit version. Maybe that has something to do with it?

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 17 March 2019 - 07:29 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

https://www.moddb.co...-armageddon-215

-more 2X upscaled enemy sprites added (use AA_UPSCALE.BAT to start game)
-fixed crash when player uses noclip cheat to go out of bounds
-fixed bug where peeing pigcop would become giant if upscaled sprites are used
-fixed the randomized enemies toggle in AAUSER.CON so it continues to work past the 1st map now
-restored self-damage to 50% (was 25% or less due to a bug)
-various minor code changes
-minor map updates
-minor art corrections

View PostTrooper Dan, on 17 March 2019 - 07:36 PM, said:

-fixed the randomized enemies toggle in AAUSER.CON so it continues to work past the 1st map now

yes of the hell variety

User is offline   Phredreeke 

-more 2X upscaled enemy sprites added (use AA_UPSCALE.BAT to start game)

is it the pigcop boss? I’ve alreast forgot what ones I sent you. Had I known you were doing another release before 3.0 I would have upscaled the pigcop frame mentioned earlier in the thread.

Also could the enemy randomisation option be an in-game toggle instead of requiring CON modification?

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 18 March 2019 - 05:08 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPhredreeke, on 18 March 2019 - 05:05 AM, said:

is it the pigcop boss? I’ve alreast forgot what ones I sent you. Had I known you were doing another release before 3.0 I would have upscaled the pigcop frame mentioned earlier in the thread.

The main thing motivating this release was the game locking up when going out of bounds bug. Normally that would only happen during a cheat, but it's still pretty serious. If it weren't for that, I probably would have waited much longer.

newly added upscaled enemies:
-pigcop boss
-cyber enforcer boss
-alien sniper

I did not add the armored pigcop yet because I noticed problems with some of the tiles.

View PostPhredreeke, on 18 March 2019 - 05:05 AM, said:

Also could the enemy randomisation option be an in-game toggle instead of requiring CON modification?

It could, but I'm not ready to do that yet. It's not an option that I expect many people would want to use, anyway.

User is offline   Marya 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 18 March 2019 - 10:09 AM, said:

The main thing motivating this release was the game locking up when going out of bounds bug. Normally that would only happen during a cheat, but it's still pretty serious. If it weren't for that, I probably would have waited much longer.

newly added upscaled enemies:
-pigcop boss
-cyber enforcer boss
-alien sniper

I did not add the armored pigcop yet because I noticed problems with some of the tiles.

It could, but I'm not ready to do that yet. It's not an option that I expect many people would want to use, anyway.
confirming noclip fix i ran all around Carrabian Disaster or whatever the first map was in no clip and no crash...(just in case you had doubts) this should fix any out of bounds problems from before even ones that happened without the DNClip Cheat...

secondly will we be getting upscales of any of Duke bosses 3d sprites for the girls in the future?

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 18 March 2019 - 10:45 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMarya, on 18 March 2019 - 10:40 AM, said:

confirming noclip fix i ran all around Carrabian Disaster or whatever the first map was in no clip and no crash...(just in case you had doubts) this should fix any out of bounds problems from before even ones that happened without the DNClip Cheat...

I wouldn't expect it to help with "out of bounds problems" in general. What the fix does is it prevents the radar code from updating the radar if the player is out of bounds.

secondly will we be getting upscales of any of Duke bosses 3d sprites for the girls in the future?

The girls are already at 1.5X of normal Duke 3D scale, which is going to be our standard scale in AA going forward. So no.

User is offline   Marya 

So was that why the game was crashing? I was particularity referring to a couple of incidents where the cheat was not being used I saw in post. one where I got stuck in one of the rooms on Caribbean catastrophe somehow and the game crashed and the one vent in the secret level people were having issues with...

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMarya, on 18 March 2019 - 10:56 AM, said:

So was that why the game was crashing? I was particularity referring to a couple of incidents where the cheat was not being used I saw in post. one where I got stuck in one of the rooms on Caribbean catastrophe somehow and the game crashed and the one vent in the secret level people were having issues with...

Yeah, it's possible that the bug was responsible for some lockups even when not cheating. In some unusual situations, the player's sector will read as -1. I was just saying, don't expect this to fix any other sort of sector related issues.

What is the Eduke32 console command to warp to New Invasion's 'Hidden Base'? I want to see if the cut-off text issue has been fixed without having to replay through the whole thing again.

In the meantime, by accident, I warped to LA Apocalypse's 'Toxic Dump' and the intermission was completely silent. Is that supposed to be that way?

Hell Yeah!!

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 18 March 2019 - 01:05 PM, said:

In the meantime, by accident, I warped to LA Apocalypse's 'Toxic Dump' and the intermission was completely silent. Is that supposed to be that way?

Hm, it was the first time you opened the new A.A. version!? To me happened to play without music in "Hail to the Chief", then i went to the title screen and the music was ok there, restarted "Hail to the Chief" again, no music.
So, i restarted eduke32 and it was everything ok, music kicked in as usual.

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 18 March 2019 - 01:25 PM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Posted Image

User is offline   Darkus 

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 18 March 2019 - 01:05 PM, said:

What is the Eduke32 console command to warp to New Invasion's 'Hidden Base'? I want to see if the cut-off text issue has been fixed without having to replay through the whole thing again.

At the episode menu, go to 'user map' and go to the maps subfolder.

I did a playthrough of some of the originals maps, and I noticed that the secret exits are wrong: when I finished 'Launch Facility', it brought me back at 'Toxic Dump' instead of 'Abyss'. Same thing for the other secrets levels.

Another thing, at E3L10, when you're dead and press use to restart, weird things happens...

Alas, the patch has not fixed the cut-off text on the first screen of the final cutscene. I play on 1920 x 1080. Also, the level stats scale keeps resetting to 88% every time I start a new game and the weapon pickup messages are still not centered, although I am not sure if the latter really counts as a bug.

Anyway, I just realised that New Invasion uses Duke Nukem: Land of the Babes' soundtrack. Good choice! I have never played that game, but I am always glad to discover more quality video game music. :)

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 18 March 2019 - 01:41 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostThe Battlelord, on 18 March 2019 - 01:23 PM, said:

Hm, it was the first time you opened the new A.A. version!? To me happened to play without music in "Hail to the Chief", then i went to the title screen and the music was ok there, restarted "Hail to the Chief" again, no music.
So, i restarted eduke32 and it was everything ok, music kicked in as usual.

That definitely sounds like some sort of EDuke32 issue, and I'm not sure what I could do about it. There might be something about it in your log file.

View PostDarkus, on 18 March 2019 - 01:25 PM, said:

I did a playthrough of some of the originals maps, and I noticed that the secret exits are wrong: when I finished 'Launch Facility', it brought me back at 'Toxic Dump' instead of 'Abyss'. Same thing for the other secrets levels.

Another thing, at E3L10, when you're dead and press use to restart, weird things happens...

Damn, that's frustrating to hear, since I specifically asked my testers before 2.0 was released whether the secret exits were working correctly and they said that they were, and nothing relevant in the code has changed since then. The reason why they can get messed up is that a few of the episodes had their level numbers shifted to make it possible to have a episode selection menu at the start of the game. Instead of editing all the maps and redistributing them with changed tags on the secret exits, I added code that changes the tags on the exits. So, I guess that code either never worked correctly or stopped working for some reason. I will look into this when I can. EDIT: And Forge, that is not a shot at you, if you said they were working then I believe they were working; also I'm pretty sure that was confirmed by others as well. But maybe it got broken since then or maybe there's a circumstance that can break it.

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 18 March 2019 - 01:39 PM, said:

Alas, the patch has not fixed the cut-off text on the first screen of the final cutscene. I play on 1920 x 1080. Also, the level stats scale keeps resetting to 88% every time I start a new game and the weapon pickup messages are still not centered, although I am not sure if the latter really counts as a bug.

Pickup messages are handled by a different quote system called "userquote" which is deliberately not centered.

I don't know why the text is cut-off on that one screen for some people and I have never seen it happen myself. I don't know how to fix it if I can't replicate it. I don't want to start making random shots in the dark and risk breaking things.

Also, when you say the "intermission" was completely silent are you referring to the bonus screen? That's another thing I have never experienced and can't replicate.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 18 March 2019 - 02:39 PM

"Bonus screen"? Huh, I am talking about the cutscenes between missions.

Also, I am currently playing Lunar Apocalypse with AA and all mini-battlelords I have encountered so far seem to be immune to the Shrinker.

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 18 March 2019 - 03:00 PM, said:

"Bonus screen"? Huh, I am talking about the cutscenes between missions.

Also, I am currently playing Lunar Apocalypse with AA and all mini-battlelords I have encountered so far seem to be immune to the Shrinker.

Oh, OK. A lot of the cutscene screens do not have music. Eventually I will add music to all of them when I have suitable tracks (alternatively, is someone wants to suggest tracks I could add them).

Also, as I've explained before, the shrinker in AA does not work the same as in vanilla. If an enemy has >600 hit points, it won't shrink them. You have to weaken them first. On the plus side, it works on just about anything that is weak enough, even mechanical enemies.

Apologies if I seem testy today -- I'm having a really tough time for reasons unrelated to modding. :)

View PostTrooper Dan, on 18 March 2019 - 02:36 PM, said:

Damn, that's frustrating to hear, since I specifically asked my testers before 2.0 was released whether the secret exits were working correctly and they said that they were, and nothing relevant in the code has changed since then. The reason why they can get messed up is that a few of the episodes had their level numbers shifted to make it possible to have a episode selection menu at the start of the game. Instead of editing all the maps and redistributing them with changed tags on the secret exits, I added code that changes the tags on the exits. So, I guess that code either never worked correctly or stopped working for some reason. I will look into this when I can. EDIT: And Forge, that is not a shot at you, if you said they were working then I believe they were working; also I'm pretty sure that was confirmed by others as well. But maybe it got broken since then or maybe there's a circumstance that can break it.

As of 2.0's "not a patch" they worked fine for me. Haven't tested them with the latest patch yet, though.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 18 March 2019 - 03:21 PM, said:

Apologies if I seem testy today -- I'm having a really tough time for reasons unrelated to modding. :)

Perfectly understandable. Thank you for letting us know! :D

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNinety-Six, on 18 March 2019 - 04:34 PM, said:

As of 2.0's "not a patch" they worked fine for me. Haven't tested them with the latest patch yet, though.

Interesting. So as of that time, the secret level nuke buttons took you to the correct maps, AND the exits at the end of those maps sent you to the correct maps?

If you want to test it again, here's a little trick that may save you time. In any level, open the console and type "setvar endlevel 10" That will make the level end in 10 tics (less than a second). Put any number you want, but 10 is a good one. Doing that will take you to whatever the next level is as defined in the episode. So don't do that once you get to the level that leads to the secret (use the secret nuke button), and don't do that when leaving the secret level, either (again, use the nukebutton). One more thing: if there is a bug it might only be affecting episode 1.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 18 March 2019 - 05:25 PM, said:

Interesting. So as of that time, the secret level nuke buttons took you to the correct maps, AND the exits at the end of those maps sent you to the correct maps?

Yep. All four episodes, and both secret levels if there were 2 of them.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 18 March 2019 - 05:25 PM, said:

If you want to test it again, here's a little trick that may save you time. In any level, open the console and type "setvar endlevel 10" That will make the level end in 10 tics (less than a second). Put any number you want, but 10 is a good one. Doing that will take you to whatever the next level is as defined in the episode. So don't do that once you get to the level that leads to the secret (use the secret nuke button), and don't do that when leaving the secret level, either (again, use the nukebutton). One more thing: if there is a bug it might only be affecting episode 1.

Thank you, I will keep this in mind once I get back home.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 18 March 2019 - 05:41 PM

User is offline   Marya 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 18 March 2019 - 03:21 PM, said:

Oh, OK. A lot of the cutscene screens do not have music. Eventually I will add music to all of them when I have suitable tracks (alternatively, is someone wants to suggest tracks I could add them).

Also, as I've explained before, the shrinker in AA does not work the same as in vanilla. If an enemy has >600 hit points, it won't shrink them. You have to weaken them first. On the plus side, it works on just about anything that is weak enough, even mechanical enemies.

Shoot the mini battlelord in the ballz that's usually where i aim to shrink them.

Alright I finished testing it. I could not reproduce the bug. I did all four of the original episodes, even killing the bosses to see if anything would change; nothing. I tried it with and without the enemy randomization on, and I had Bombshell with me during the Birth, though the second run only got halfway through Lunar Apocalypse. Spin Cycle took me to Tiberius Station as it was supposed to and I figured that was enough of a sign that I didn't need to do a full second run.

Did notice that autoaim is completely broken, though. And it's using the same eDuke snapshot as the last release so I have no idea what went wrong there.

As an additional side note, I see something weird in AAUSER.CON that may or my not be related. DC's music order is weird, placing the secret level music in the slot the normal map music should go. I noticed this during my own playthrough but if there's a reason for that it could tie into this maybe?

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 18 March 2019 - 08:45 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDarkus, on 18 March 2019 - 01:25 PM, said:

I think I figured it out. You said "some" of the maps...did you start a game by loading a user map instead of launching the episode in the normal way? The code which adjusts the nuke button warps is dependent upon the graphical episode selection screen when you start a game with "CLASSIC EPISODES". If you bypass that and load a user map directly, it won't work correctly.

This would explain why it was broken for you, but worked for Ninety-Six and in our tests.

That definitely sounds like some sort of EDuke32 issue, and I'm not sure what I could do about it. There might be something about it in your log file.

Honeslty i was about to do not report this, what johnnythewolf said just increased my suspicions, as it clearly was a misunderstanding and i can't replicate the problem (trying to do the same things i did) i don't think there is something to worry.
About the log file, is too late, i've tested some crappy softwares today and i don't like to stuff my registry, i had to restore my HDD.
Anyway, i can say that i used the Upscale batch file, set everything as my usual, exception that i've turned Polymer on (btw very cool the laser turret's effects) and switched audio sample rate to 48.000HZ (maybe this did something just that run) that's all.

Edit:

View PostTrooper Dan, on 18 March 2019 - 08:53 PM, said:

I think I figured it out. You said "some" of the maps...did you start a game by loading a user map instead of launching the episode in the normal way? The code which adjusts the nuke button warps is dependent upon the graphical episode selection screen when you start a game with "CLASSIC EPISODES". If you bypass that and load a user map directly, it won't work correctly.

This would explain why it was broken for you, but worked for Ninety-Six and in our tests.

The full L.A.episode worked fine for me Posted Image.
Thinkig about this the only secret level that regurarly does something similar is in Duke it Out DC, but this is normal, there is a way that may interefere with others? (just guessing)

Now a non-related question, I'm quite curious if does someone know why Duke scream as if he is fallen on Toxic Dump level? I mean here:

https://youtu.be/z-1t2qySra4?t=410

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 18 March 2019 - 09:49 PM

Share this topic:

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options