• You cannot reply to this topic

Wrath: Aeon of Ruin  "Formerly "3DRealms is working on a new game""

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View Postleilei, on 07 March 2019 - 10:53 AM, said:

using "Quake" in marketing could raise some possible zenimax ire,

Oh yeah, they are furious:
https://twitter.com/...672026856861696

the possible misleading implications of "Quake Vets" which could be spun to accidentally mean johnromeroamericanmcgeesandypetersentimwillitstheinventorofdoom

It's not Quake vets but "Quake scene vets", I don't know how anyone could think that's Romero and co.

The new footage does show the darkplaces bobbing and crosshair so it's still definitely darkplaces. Also Q3BSP's used now, so the heavy marketing on "Quake 1 tech" is more of a stretch than anything

How so? Just because it's Darkplaces and q3bsp doesn't mean that it's no longer id Tech 1. It is id Tech 1 just like how Ion Maiden is Build: the same old shit with a bunch of new tricks.

And really I'm happy that it's Darkplaces because that source port adds a lot of new features so it's more flexible for a new game.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I heard accusations that Bloodshot is working on this.
Show your face and tell us if this is true, coward
<3

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Seems like quakers liked the announcement pretty much, it's cool that the concept seems to work for them:
https://old.reddit.c...on_the_quake_1/

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

After watching the trailer, I gotta say I am impressed by the size of the levels, especially the outdoor areas. Lots of detail to be found there, too. Having played quite a few of these "retro shooters" recently (Amid Evil, Dusk, Gorescript, Intrude, Project Warlock, Strafe and of course Ion Maiden), I can say this could definitely be one of the better ones. From the very first gif (the one with the portal) I had actually expected a rather futuristic environment while it's obviously more like a Quake/Blood/Heretic/Chasm inspired world. Nothing wrong about that, but also less... colorful. We know these grey/brown colors a bit too well by now, but I guess it goes with the setting.

Weaponry seems to be traditional enough with the shotgun variations we all know and like. Maybe the double-barelled shotgun is a bit slow for my taste, but at least it seems to pack a punch. There were a lot of zombies in this video, but I hope there is a much larger bestiary than we were able to see there. Body dismemberment seems to be implemented and looks satisfying.

My impression is that they are not exactly taking big chances here, but all things considered it looks like a fun game with nice levels, convincing weapons and good sound/music. It's probably not going to be a revolution, but a rock-solid experience - and in the end that's all you could possibly wish for or need in a project like that.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 08 March 2019 - 12:30 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNightFright, on 08 March 2019 - 12:28 AM, said:

I had actually expected a rather futuristic environment while it's obviously more like a Quake/Blood/Heretic/Chasm inspired world. Nothing wrong about that, but also less... colorful.

The question of sci-fi shooters is interesting to say the least. Nowadays it seems like developers are moving away from the futuristic setting simply because it was overused: even Call of Duty became more and more futuristic at one point and of course there's Halo, Titanfall, now Apex etc.. A sci-fi shooter is kind of the thing they want to move away from because there is a distaste in the audience for that kind of stuff now (for example I even heard somebody making the argument that LawBreakers flopped because it was a sci-fi shooter and honestly it doesn't seem that crazy). Too much of it feels like "been there, done that" and even Doom 2016 felt a lot less sci-fi compared to Doom 3's metallic corridors and intricately designed, giant Mars base.

I don't mind that especially when it comes to Quake because honestly I never really felt that sci-fi was a good approach for the franchise. I like Q2 and even Q4 but that whole setting was boring as hell for me while moving away from that and coming up with different explanations to why some "Quake stuff" exists is much more interesting. Take Quake Champions for example: the setting doesn't resemble a sci-fi shooter anymore, there aren't any futuristic maps in the game. In Q3 DM17, the Longest Yard felt like this weird space platform while in QC it looks like this:

I love this art direction because suddenly everything has a different meaning because of it. A slipgate or a teleporter is no longer some technology that was developed and researched, instead it's something alien, you don't understand how it works, it just does. The same goes for something like jump pads: if it's not in a futuristic setting then you no longer understand how it works which means that it can be anything. Is it some weird machinery? Something the Elder Gods' power manipulates? How the fuck can we jump around in the middle of space with this medieval looking stuff floating in the cosmos?

To me that's what Lovecraftian means: things that you fear because you don't understand how they work. A weird new color coming from space, hallucinative visions of worlds or dimensions where you don't even understand how the creatures there communicate etc. Quake and titles derived from Quake getting closer to that idea is great, I don't need futuristic military stations and slipgate complexes. Make it ancient looking where the technology you see looks like something that was forgotten to the point where it feels alien to the player.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 08 March 2019 - 01:57 AM

User is offline   ---- 

The trailer for Wrath got me hooked ... the the gameplay video put me on the "skip it" side.

The trailer was cleverly cut and implied there is fast gameplay (which I like). The gameplay video reveals that the gameplay is actually slow and stale (for my tastes) although there is fast player movement.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Btw. is that Valerie Arem in the trailer?

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View Postfuegerstef, on 08 March 2019 - 07:02 AM, said:

The trailer for Wrath got me hooked ... the the gameplay video put me on the "skip it" side.

The trailer was cleverly cut and implied there is fast gameplay (which I like). The gameplay video reveals that the gameplay is actually slow and stale (for my tastes) although there is fast player movement.

The way the zombies just walk in unison like that reminds me of Michael Jackson's Thriller or something. Just goofy. But since the full game is only coming out next year I imagine it'll be much improved by then.

This post has been edited by thricecursed: 08 March 2019 - 07:57 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, the corridors and hallways in that gameplay video looked really bland and repetitive. And the constant zombies didn't help much. I just hope it's only a slice of something with more variety. The screenshots do look good. I'm still very impressed and am looking forward to it, though. That "horizontal rocket jump" is a pretty neat feature and the weapons are cool.

The way the zombies just walk in unison like that reminds me of Michael Jackson's Thriller or something. Just goofy. But since the full game is only coming out next year I imagine it'll be much improved by then.

Quake's zombies were the same way.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 08 March 2019 - 08:02 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I thought 3dfx support was just a joke but according to this they are really doing it:
https://twitter.com/...032249194926081
This will make an interesting LGR video for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if it just turned out to be some Glide wrapper trickery.

Well, until then...

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 08 March 2019 - 09:33 AM

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 08 March 2019 - 08:01 AM, said:

Quake's zombies were the same way.

Hahaha, really dude? They didn't slowly walk up to you 5 in a row with the same bouncy walk animation and they were used pretty sparingly, relying mostly on throwing projectiles. Look at 3:50 or 5:33 in that IGN video, it looks stupid as hell. They also go down like the battle droids in Star Wars. Just useless cannon fodder. I saw other enemy types as well, but man, they really need to cut down on the zombies for the final release. I hope they do.

User is offline   cybdmn 

3DFX were so kind to send us a Voodoo 2 card with 12(!!) megs.

Did they drive a DeLorean back in time? 3Dfx is just a trademark of nVidia since 2000.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Hey, don't ruin the retro roleplaying! 3dfx is real, THEY STILL EXIST, GODDAMMIT! :)

The 3Dfx support being advertised is just a joke. DarkPlaces doesn't support 3Dfx, and Wrath's Steam page lists Windows 7 as the minimum OS requirement.

User is offline   cybdmn 

View PostZaxx, on 08 March 2019 - 09:45 AM, said:

Hey, don't ruin the retro roleplaying! 3dfx is real, THEY STILL EXIST, GODDAMMIT! :)

Yeah, of course. At my home. I still have an Voodoo 1, completely unused. It was just put into a PC to test if it's working. I got that from the vendor as a replacement for one card that stopped working. But never used it, because i bought an Voodoo2 at that moment, which i still own. And then there is a Voodoo 3 inside of my old Win98 machine, which need a new power supply.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostThe Ultimate Doomer, on 08 March 2019 - 10:07 AM, said:

The 3Dfx support being advertised is just a joke. DarkPlaces doesn't support 3Dfx, and Wrath's Steam page lists Windows 7 as the minimum OS requirement.

They are modifying Darkplaces though.

User is offline   ReaperAA 

Although it is early to say anything about the game but atleast the art direction is really good. Much much much better than Dusk's. I hope the level design is really good too.

View PostZaxx, on 08 March 2019 - 10:15 AM, said:

They are modifying Darkplaces though.

Do you ABSOLUTELY expect the devs to add back 3dfx/voodoo support. LOL

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 08 March 2019 - 10:39 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostReaperAA, on 08 March 2019 - 10:39 AM, said:

I don't care, I just posted what they tweeted and they retweeted people who took it seriously.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I want Matrox Millennium support.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

S3 Virge here!

User is offline   HulkNukem 

It almost seems like the zombies lining up single file is intentional to let you use that blade dash attack.
I think the zombies need to do more than just walk slowly towards you and melee. They need a projectile attack and/or they need to move faster; you have this giant open environment with tiny little shambling zombies. Compare it to the Blood zombies who could only melee but they also ran, would fall but not completely die, and came in large groups. They were formidable even if they were easy to dispatch.
The environments themselves look pretty good though. They look like a more detailed Quake 1 level but still feeling appropriate. Also like the overall textures and models and the snow level screenshot looks refreshing.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 08 March 2019 - 12:42 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postthricecursed, on 08 March 2019 - 09:37 AM, said:

Hahaha, really dude? They didn't slowly walk up to you 5 in a row with the same bouncy walk animation and they were used pretty sparingly, relying mostly on throwing projectiles. Look at 3:50 or 5:33 in that IGN video, it looks stupid as hell. They also go down like the battle droids in Star Wars. Just useless cannon fodder. I saw other enemy types as well, but man, they really need to cut down on the zombies for the final release. I hope they do.

Yeah, I think there's too many zombies on the screen compared to what Quake did. But absolutely my experience with them in Quake was definitely seeing many on the screen all moving at the same time sometimes with the exact same synced animations as they walked towards you and threw their limbs at you. Quake's animation were certainly more interesting and exaggerated, though.

View PostReaperAA, on 08 March 2019 - 10:39 AM, said:

Although it is early to say anything about the game but atleast the art direction is really good. Much much much better than Dusk's. I hope the level design is really good too.

I didn't expect VBlank to have Retro City Rampage to support DOS, Win3.x, and the NES either but he did it. It's possible. I wouldn't put it past them. But I agree this is a joke. Actually, I think all this retro marketing talk is an obvious joke. The people on VOGONS are currently for the most part trashing on this game for the marketing and being super elitist about it. It's quite disappointing to see.

User is offline   WileTm 

Love this retro streak 3DR(the new one, ironically) appears to be on. Wonder if they'll work their way up to the first Unreal engine for the next game? :)

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Not for the next game: WRATH engine change announcement coming soon! :)

User is offline   leilei 

I thought I nipped that 3dfx bullshit in the bud a page ago.
Fresch is just marketing bilinear filtering as "3D FX" trying to turn this into an aesthetic nostalgiabait fest killpixel doesn't want it to be.
As a longtime voodoo owner myself (who also reverse-engineered some not-emulated functionality years ago) and a (former) Darkplaces gamedev, I find this misleading marketing ordeal all embarrassing. Wrath doesn't need Fred's delusional baggage undermining the effort.

This post has been edited by leilei: 08 March 2019 - 05:46 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Dude it's obvious. Stop spoiling the fun.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 08 March 2019 - 05:35 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Fred is a fucking retard.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 08 March 2019 - 05:34 PM, said:

Dude it's obvious. Stop spoiling the fun.

Not obvious enough unfortunately, as there are several users on Twitter taking it seriously and wanting to try it on their 3Dfx hardware. To be honest, making the game compatible with old Windows 98 PCs with Voodoo2s would be pretty stupid and pointless, but "roleplaying" that the game is designed for a Voodoo2 is also stupid and pointless.

User is offline   axl 

View Postfuegerstef, on 08 March 2019 - 07:02 AM, said:

I was thinking the exact same thing. Screenshots look really good, but I have some doubts regarding the gameplay. Player movement is fast enough, but all the enemies just feel so slow... they really don't appear as an immediate threat... I was expecting more balls to the wall action-packed gameplay like Quake...

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Yea, it does seem they are taking the term "trash mob" literally... or maybe they want to make the game similar to Hexen's melee combat is some fashion but you know, that was fun while these zombies seem like useless filler.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 09 March 2019 - 12:52 AM

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options