Duke4.net Forums: Alien Armageddon [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Armageddon [RELEASE]  "showcasing sebabdukeboss20 characters with some enhancements"

User is offline   Phredreeke 

A little nitpick, the ESRGAN upscaler is actually hardcoded to upscale at 4x. The downscale is part of my postprocessing chain :)

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPhredreeke, on 04 March 2019 - 02:16 AM, said:

A little nitpick, the ESRGAN upscaler is actually hardcoded to upscale at 4x. The downscale is part of my postprocessing chain :)

Edited my post

just for fun, here's the same sprite, prior to the postprocessing step.

Attached Image: tile5272_rlt.png

User is offline   Darkus 

Finished DC episode. Saw the president and the ending (haha). Encountered some small issues, but nothing really game-breaking:

- The 'ant-man' monsters (those who crawl at the ceiling) have green blood, but when falling on the ground, they spurt red blood.
- Some enemy projectiles don't flash the screen when they hit you (ex: the scuba trooper or enemy laser turrets)
- When I picked up a second nuke, the HUD showed me only one. Switching between RPG/nuke solved the problem.
- In the map 'Metro Mayhem', I was in the subway, then I died suddently. Maybe the game decided I was crushed, and acted accordingly, but that was weird. It happened only once.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 01 March 2019 - 10:47 PM, said:

There is no update. You did not see them as one. The weapon was fine. There is no map to preview.

I will still take a look on this... Then I'll start the vacation episode.

View PostDarkus, on 04 March 2019 - 12:51 PM, said:

Switching between RPG/nuke solved the problem.

Yea, i forgot to add that there is something weird between RPG and Nuke weapon, i did not tested it but it happened a pair of times that when i shoot a nuke missle the RPG ammo went to 0 (the first time RPG had 10 ammo, the second time 8 ammo, yea i planned to use it right after the Nuke, but i've imagined a troll face on the screen instead).

• Duke Plus Developer

Is the nuke ammo bug a display only bug, or are the actual ammo amounts wrong?

When you switch between nuke and RPG, which are on the same weapon slot, the ammo amount on that slot changes. So, when you fire the nuke, your RPG ammo does go to 0 for a moment, but then you are supposed to be switched to the regular RPG with the saved ammo amount that you had before switching to the nuke.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostTrooper Dan, on 04 March 2019 - 09:30 PM, said:

When you switch between nuke and RPG, which are on the same weapon slot, the ammo amount on that slot changes. So, when you fire the nuke, your RPG ammo does go to 0 for a moment, but then you are supposed to be switched to the regular RPG with the saved ammo amount that you had before switching to the nuke.

i experienced something similar, but it happened because I spawned the nuke to test it.

I was playing duo mode
Duke had an RPG count of 1 (even though I never spawned a RPG, or ammo) & A nuke count of 1
Shelly had a RPG count of 0 and a Nuke count of 1

after firing the nuke, all counts went to 0 (like they should)

but that was back in the 1st 2.00 version. I haven't tried it since.

This post has been edited by Forge: 04 March 2019 - 10:24 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 04 March 2019 - 10:22 PM, said:

i experienced something similar, but it happened because I spawned the nuke to test it.

I was playing duo mode
Duke had an RPG count of 1 (even though I never spawned a RPG, or ammo) & A nuke count of 1
Shelly had a RPG count of 0 and a Nuke count of 1

after firing the nuke, all counts went to 0 (like they should)

The game is hardcoded to switch away from a weapon if it has 0 ammo, and since the nuke is on the RPG weapon slot, I have to give the player 1 RPG ammo to make it possible for them to fire the nuke.

Hacking in multiple weapons to one weapon slot leads to problems like this, which is why I don't like doing it. As I was saying in the PM thread, the solution is to have only one weapon on a slot at a given time, but give the player a backpack where they can swap in a different weapon in the slot, putting the other one is storage.

This may sound like semantics, but it would solve several problems -- for example, when quickly switching up and down weapons using next/prev weapon keys, I wouldn't have to worry about interrupting the hardcoded change to a certain weapon slot to substitute in the hacked subweapon.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 04 March 2019 - 09:30 PM, said:

I tried to shot and the RPG did not fire (0 ammo), it was on the last part of Metro Mayhem, there is another Nuke weapon there, so looks like there is no dirrefence if you get it "legally" or in the "dirty way".
Honestly i can't really explain how does this bug "work/kick in" it does weird stuff as you can see in the video:

The RPG goes to 0, then disappear, then appear again with 1 ammo (btw i did not use shortcut buttons), i'm quite confused really.
But if i remember you've used the double slot for all the weapons on Duke Plus mod, there are no problems, using a similar code like DP won't work on A.A.?

• Duke Plus Developer

There's clearly a bug there, but so far I can't replicate it. I did exactly what you showed in the video, but every time I do it the RPG has the correct amount of ammo after I fire the nukes.

View PostThe Battlelord, on 04 March 2019 - 11:01 PM, said:

But if i remember you've used the double slot for all the weapons on Duke Plus mod, there are no problems, using a similar code like DP won't work on A.A.?

DukePlus only has 2 hacked in subweapons -- the shotgun / DB shotgun, and the chaingun or SMG / battlelord chaingun. All other weapon changes are optional replacements, which is different. But more importantly, in DukePlus I never made the subweapons use different ammo from each other. The shotguns both use the same ammo, as do the chaingun / superchaingun. The bug you are showing is an ammo type switching bug. What's happening is that the variable which stores how much RPG ammo you had is getting overwritten by the amount of nuke ammo you had at some moment (1 or 0). So far I haven't found the loophole in the logic which allows that to happen under certain conditions.

If having multiple nukes is a requirement, then at least I can rest assured that this bug is almost never going to be seen by players who aren't using cheats.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 03 March 2019 - 10:55 PM, said:

For consistency, the upscaled option will later include other enemy sprites, not just the vanilla ones.

Actually I assumed that for the new AA monsters sebabdukeboss20 would create higher-resolution sprites from the original models?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostTrooper Dan, on 05 March 2019 - 12:58 AM, said:

If having multiple nukes is a requirement, then at least I can rest assured that this bug is almost never going to be seen by players who aren't using cheats.

aren't there multiple nuke pick-ups in the DC episode?
I remember three.

I recently did a dnstuff cheat (to see if I could repeat the current ammo error)
I had put a few nuke pickups in a map, grabbed them & blew myself up with the last one. I reloaded and used the cheat - and the game gave me 50 nukes and 0 rpg rounds.
I wasn't repeatable.
The next time I used the cheat, it gave me 50 rpg rounds and 0 nukes.

This post has been edited by Forge: 05 March 2019 - 06:17 AM

View PostMrFlibble, on 05 March 2019 - 03:05 AM, said:

Actually I assumed that for the new AA monsters sebabdukeboss20 would create higher-resolution sprites from the original models?

I am for a few. Mainly mechanical ones like the Terminator. But the upscaling was added into 2.1 rather last minute and I don't have time to go back and reprocess all my models in such a short time frame. It's super tedious. However any new enemies in 3.0 and onward will be default upscaled at 1.5x the default resolution. My NPCs are already all at that scale.

We got Dukinators but any chance of an evil Mecha-Bombshell boss? :)

We got some ideas for new enemies/bosses which I obviously won't reveal yet. At one point I had to slow down my production because I was creating too many new enemies/NPCs. We still have a handful full of them that have not made it into our mod yet. And not all of them will make it in which is fine. I know you're joking but personally I don't like the idea of "evil version of protagonist." In my opinion, it's super lazy creatively speaking.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 05 March 2019 - 06:00 AM, said:

I reloaded and used the cheat - and the game gave me 50 nukes and 0 rpg rounds.
I wasn't repeatable.
The next time I used the cheat, it gave me 50 rpg rounds and 0 nukes.

The "give all" cheat and equivalent cheats will set all of your weapons to their max ammo amounts. So if you are holding the nuke at the time, since the nuke is on the RPG slot, that means the ammo counter will show you have 50 nukes. However, when you fire it, a variable named "nukeamount" is decremented and then your ammo amount is set to the new value of that variable. Since that variable is not affected by the cheat, the moment you fire the nuke, the 50 will change to whatever number it was supposed to be.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 05 March 2019 - 12:58 AM, said:

So far I haven't found the loophole in the logic which allows that to happen under certain conditions.

I think i found out how does it "work":
-It happens when the player get the Nuke weapon for the "first time" (in legal way, tested properly today, or by cheating, doesn't matter), if the player is equipped with the RPG in their hands the bug does NOT happen.
-The bug show up if the player is equipped in their hands with ANY other weapon.
-If the player shot the last Nuke weapon and pick up a new one (without the RPG equipped in that instant) the bug will kick in.
-So, it does NOT happens if the player get new ammo for the Nuke weapon, is important that the player have more than 0 ammo, or the RPG is needed before to pick up a "new" Nuke weapon.

In short, the RPG is the shield to pick up the Nuke weapon.

I hope that what i wrote is understandable.

User is offline   Marya 

View PostThe Battlelord, on 05 March 2019 - 11:23 AM, said:

I think i found out how does it "work":
-It happens when the player get the Nuke weapon for the "first time" (in legal way, tested properly today, or by cheating, doesn't matter), if the player is equipped with the RPG in their hands the bug does NOT happen.
-The bug show up if the player is equipped in their hands with ANY other weapon.
-If the player shot the last Nuke weapon and pick up a new one (without the RPG equipped in that instant) the bug will kick in.
-So, it does NOT happens if the player get new ammo for the Nuke weapon, is important that the player have more than 0 ammo, or the RPG is needed before to pick up a "new" Nuke weapon.

In short, the RPG is the shield to pick up the Nuke weapon.

I hope that what i wrote is understandable.
So what i understand is that not having the rpg when you pickup the nuke is the problem so it seems to me it's something to do with the RPG and not the nuke.... may be another issue like the one i found with the plasma gun... due to having weapons on the same slot... but how come that never happens with the shrinker... speaking of that are you suppose to have 50 expander ammo when you pick up the shrinker?

This post has been edited by Marya: 05 March 2019 - 02:19 PM

User is offline   John Brown 

Well, I tried the map that isn't there, wink. I had fun with it, maybe I missed the settings or win conditions (or there are none? the timer counted down and just disappeared and it all kept going), but it was definitely enjoyable. The map was very basic but I also have never played Duke multiplayer, ever. For some perspective, the only multiplayer FPSs I've ever played extensively are Goldeneye (both N64 and Wii ones), Perfect Dark (just the N64 one), and Timesplitters: Future Perfect, but again, I had fun in the not-there map, and I look forward to more.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJohn Brown, on 05 March 2019 - 05:01 PM, said:

Well, I tried the map that isn't there, wink. I had fun with it, maybe I missed the settings or win conditions (or there are none? the timer counted down and just disappeared and it all kept going), but it was definitely enjoyable. The map was very basic but I also have never played Duke multiplayer, ever. For some perspective, the only multiplayer FPSs I've ever played extensively are Goldeneye (both N64 and Wii ones), Perfect Dark (just the N64 one), and Timesplitters: Future Perfect, but again, I had fun in the not-there map, and I look forward to more.

There are no game ending conditions yet, because the gametype is WIP. Think of the map as a proof of concept.

View PostMarya, on 05 March 2019 - 02:17 PM, said:

So what i understand is that not having the rpg when you pickup the nuke is the problem so it seems to me it's something to do with the RPG and not the nuke...

Just to be as clear as possible, you have to stay like in the pic below, RPG in your hands and Nuke weapon on the floor, after that you picked it up you can swap weapons as usual again.

Posted Image

Ok, this may looks like a pray position, but it works Posted Image.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 05 March 2019 - 06:28 AM, said:

But the upscaling was added into 2.1 rather last minute and I don't have time to go back and reprocess all my models in such a short time frame. It's super tedious. However any new enemies in 3.0 and onward will be default upscaled at 1.5x the default resolution. My NPCs are already all at that scale.

I know it might be a bit too much to ask, but any chance you would touch up the ESRGAN'd sprites where they need some clean-up and/or slight detail correction/enhancement?

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMrFlibble, on 06 March 2019 - 12:26 PM, said:

I know it might be a bit too much to ask, but any chance you would touch up the ESRGAN'd sprites where they need some clean-up and/or slight detail correction/enhancement?

I think that would be a wasted effort. Chances are, the process will be improved in the future (AI upscales are a relatively new thing) and then all of the clean up work will have gone to waste.

It would make much more sense to clean up the original low-res sprites (as Jimmy suggested in a different thread). Then any upscales made from them would show the improvements every time.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Finally playing this. Currently at the Abyss.

First impressions so far: Damn this mod is hard, I know the first 3 episodes, L.A. Meltdown especially, better than I know my own home, and I've died several times already. Not necessarily a complaint, but that sure caught me off-guard.

Also the broken kill counter still bugs me. I can live with it but not having 100% kills makes me unhappy.

• Duke Plus Developer

Most players don't bother using the POC or LR difficulties and go straight to CGS because that's what they are used to doing. That's fine, but yeah, AA is somewhat harder than vanilla. One thing I suggest is use the Holoduke, it distracts monsters very strongly in AA and you get free Holoduke energy at the start. It can be a life saver, and I'll bet you aren't using it because you are accustomed to vanilla where it is useless.

User is offline   John Brown 

^I can verify this 100%, HoloDuke is a lifesaver against Battlelords, and it really makes those Lunar Apocalypse sentry drone spam attacks exponentially less shitty.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0014.png
  • Attached Image: duke0030.png

View PostTrooper Dan, on 06 March 2019 - 04:35 PM, said:

I'll bet you aren't using it because you are accustomed to vanilla where it is useless.

Yep pretty much that exactly. I'll keep it in mind.

I noticed the steroids are more useful now too with that time slow effect.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 06 March 2019 - 05:32 PM

Actually, since it was brought up...

Are there changes to the difficulties?

User is offline   Marya 

View PostNinety-Six, on 06 March 2019 - 05:31 PM, said:

Yep pretty much that exactly. I'll keep it in mind.

I noticed the steroids are more useful now too with that time slow effect.
Oh is that why it doesn't seem like i'm walking super fast like in vanilla?

Finished episode 2. I really like those cutscenes.

Interesting choice to put Lunar Apocalypse's mid-cutscene at the start of Fusion Station as opposed to Tiberius Station...

I don't suppose these are available for vanilla at all? I like them enough to consider using them in the base game if at all possible.

Share this topic:

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options