Duke4.net Forums: Alien Armageddon [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Armageddon [RELEASE]  "showcasing sebabdukeboss20 characters with some enhancements"

I don't think I've heard of Jimmy's 2.0 soundtrack. I'm gonna try it out some time, but I LOVE NightFright's pack. Cos I LOVE the X-Files theme and the Fate of Atlantis (an awesome game unto itself) music makes Brown Water
so much cooler :) Music doesn't just make a movie, it also makes a game.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

You can check out Jimmy's tracks on Youtube to find out if you like them more than the music "borrowed" from other games/sources. They are still more impressive when playing the corresponding levels at the same time though, ofc.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 18 February 2019 - 08:11 AM

User is offline   F!re-Fly 

View PostForge, on 18 February 2019 - 07:49 AM, said:

It only does that in polymer. That render mode is not recommended for this TC.

I fixed them anyway & they'll show up in some future patch.

Of course, I understand everything now :)

User is offline   John Brown 

View PostNightFright, on 18 February 2019 - 08:05 AM, said:

You can check out Jimmy's tracks on Youtube to find out if you like them more than the music "borrowed" from other games/sources. They are still more impressive when playing the corresponding levels at the same time though, ofc.

I will definitely check those out.

User is offline   Marya 

View PostForge, on 18 February 2019 - 07:49 AM, said:

It only does that in polymer. That render mode is not recommended for this TC.

I fixed them anyway & they'll show up in some future patch.
I have to ask ,though What mode should I be playing in? It defaults to polymost.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMarya, on 18 February 2019 - 11:13 AM, said:

I have to ask ,though What mode should I be playing in? It defaults to polymost.

polymost

it should be classic compatible, but it wasn't thoroughly tested. (afaik)
it's not polymer compatible.

the text file: "ALIEN ARMAGEDDON START" is in your game's top directory

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Forge: 18 February 2019 - 11:40 AM

Almost finished Duke DC, gonna say I'm impressed. I like the additions in Smithsonian Terror as well as the slight alterations in secrets and maps.

Though I'm kinda surprised you didn't alter the end of Capitol Punishment, having to go back out through the manhole with a jetpack. I thought maybe I'd been playing it wrong all these years and there
was another way out, but suppose the player didn't have a jetpack? He'd be stuck in the sewers :)

User is offline   Forge 

View Postdarkprince227, on 18 February 2019 - 11:40 AM, said:

Almost finished Duke DC, gonna say I'm impressed. I like the additions in Smithsonian Terror as well as the slight alterations in secrets and maps.

Though I'm kinda surprised you didn't alter the end of Capitol Punishment, having to go back out through the manhole with a jetpack. I thought maybe I'd been playing it wrong all these years and there
was another way out, but suppose the player didn't have a jetpack? He'd be stuck in the sewers :lol:

that's why there are now two jetpacks in the sewer accessed section of the map.
if you use up two jetpacks in that part of the map - you deserve to get stuck. :)
(but I agree, it would have played a lot smoother if there wasn't all that backtracking. With the exception of smithsonian I was hesitant to make the non-cosmetic changes I did, because then the purists would complain)

smithsonian was edited because a significant amount of people found the map too open, which led to wandering around forever until the yellow key was accidentally stumbled upon - then the endless searching for the blue and red locks from halfway across the map when the corresponding keys were finally acquired. We decided to make it a little more linear and utilize sections of the level that didn't need to be visited in the original.
While not totally unavoidable, modifying the path also helped reduce the amount of non-action walking around time due to lack of monsters because areas had already been cleared.

This post has been edited by Forge: 18 February 2019 - 12:07 PM

I'm halfway done with Life's a Beach now, including the secret map, and so far, so good. I kinda like playing these with the normal Duke weapons to be honest. I'm enjoying the new art too (don't be a pale-face, Lara).

Question though, for the weapon upgrades, do they have fixed spawns or are they random? I ask because when I played DC, I found the Incinerator upgrade in Smithsonian, but later found it again the secret map. I also found Duke's Freezethrower upgrade in the secret map, but didn't see it in a non-secret level unless I missed it (I believe I found every other secret, including the sewer one with Krang's mech suit).

User is offline   Forge 

View PostJohn Brown, on 18 February 2019 - 04:19 PM, said:

Question though, for the weapon upgrades, do they have fixed spawns or are they random?

fixed.
some are duplicates some are only provided once.

View PostForge, on 18 February 2019 - 04:41 PM, said:

fixed.
some are duplicates some are only provided once.

Thank you.

Just finished Duke in out in DC. Seems the soundtrack changed for the last few levels (Brown Water had no Fate of Atlantis music :lol: ) but I liked all the Mario Bros references.

Wasn't too sure about the ending. Call me old fashioned, I just preferred the single Cycloid Emperor as the boss and the original end cutscenes.

All in all, I was impressed! :) Maybe in the future, we'll see Nuclear Winter or Duke!Zone II added to the fray?

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

NW and DZ2 were utter garbage. You could just as well make new levels from scratch and call them something completely else, it would be 100 times better than these forgettable addons.

User is offline   ---- 

I now tried version 2.02. The dot of the pistol isn't semitransparent in Polymost anymore and has black pixels around it. Was it like this before or got that introduced in 2.02.

I tried True Coolor on and of but it only works in classic.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 19 February 2019 - 03:52 AM

View Postdarkprince227, on 19 February 2019 - 02:03 AM, said:

Wasn't too sure about the ending. Call me old fashioned, I just preferred the single Cycloid Emperor as the boss and the original end cutscenes.

All in all, I was impressed! :) Maybe in the future, we'll see Nuclear Winter or Duke!Zone II added to the fray?

We do have story going on in our mod. It will involve 1 or 2 more episodes. DC isn't just going to be a one and done thing.

VERY unlikely to add crappy expansions. Just because it's a Duke expansion doesn't mean we're going to add it in because. We like quality. No quantity. Nuclear Winter is quite inferior compared to DC and Caribbean. Duke Zone 2 I barely remember existed.

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 19 February 2019 - 07:04 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

and I'm sure it'll come up, but no the World Tour won't be added since it's too new and on sale and would probably attract unwanted attention from Gearbox.

User is offline   Forge 

The first three maps in NW are rip-offs of E1L1, E1L2 & partially E1M1. At least two new maps would have to be made to replace the first two levels & the third totally reworked to make it tolerable, if not replaced as well.
DZ2 looks like it was made in 6 hours by a roving gang of eight-year olds with ADD and hopped up on mountain dew and pizza rolls.
If I'm going to map I would rather make something for the new episode, not repair someone else's cheap work.

But I'm not in charge and easily replaceable, so go with what the art director and coder have to say about it.

This post has been edited by Forge: 19 February 2019 - 11:54 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postfuegerstef, on 19 February 2019 - 03:52 AM, said:

I now tried version 2.02. The dot of the pistol isn't semitransparent in Polymost anymore and has black pixels around it. Was it like this before or got that introduced in 2.02.

I tried True Coolor on and of but it only works in classic.

The transparency may have been removed by accident when I removed the bobbing crosshairs (I just added it back on my end), but the sprite is definitely the same picnum and I don't see any black pixels.
EDIT: I've seen the black pixels phenomenon before, but never in this mod. It's a glitch, but it's not a scripting code thing. Try deleting your cached textures and see if that helps.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 19 February 2019 - 11:42 AM

User is offline   Marya 

View PostNightFright, on 19 February 2019 - 02:43 AM, said:

NW and DZ2 were utter garbage. You could just as well make new levels from scratch and call them something completely else, it would be 100 times better than these forgettable addons.
Nuclear winter was tolerable and average at most, the best part of it was probably the new enemies.... there were no new weapons and all dropped items were presents you had to open...... Also unlike the previous 2 expansions NW was very short.

I have no idea bout DZ2

To be honest, World tour was underwhelming and boring the only thing they did was bring back the incinerator and add an enemy that droped it the Incenrator used in world tour is a slight revamp of a weapon that was in the duke 3d Beta (yay for orginality!) At least Bombshells flamthrower has a new model, while the Alien world order flame thrower is a retextured freezethrower.

This post has been edited by Marya: 19 February 2019 - 11:22 AM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostMarya, on 19 February 2019 - 11:16 AM, said:

I have no idea bout DZ2

DZ2 was literally broken, which puts it miles below Nuclear Winter in my opinion.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The plan is to release the Gladiator episode (working title) in summer 2019, after taking a little time away from this.

I think it would be nice to put together a winter themed episode to release near the end of the year. There are some good winter themed maps that have been released in the community over the years...maybe some of them could be refurbished? Add a few wintery effects and easter eggs, sexy ladies in santa hats, falling snow, etc. Maybe add in a short and simple new map or two if mappers are willing.

Sorry lads, I seem to have started something of a flame war :lol:

I actually liked Nuclear Winter myself (I'm just a sucker for Christmas) and the last few levels of Arctic Assault. Other than that, DZ2 was nothing really special.

In all serious though, some new episodes following Duke it out in DC sounds pretty cool :)

View Postdarkprince227, on 19 February 2019 - 11:50 AM, said:

Sorry lads, I seem to have started something of a flame war :lol:

I actually liked Nuclear Winter myself (I'm just a sucker for Christmas) and the last few levels of Arctic Assault. Other than that, DZ2 was nothing really special.

In all serious though, some new episodes following Duke it out in DC sounds pretty cool :)

I should be the one apologizing. I overreacted a little. I just don't want people assuming because we adapted Caribbean and DC that we will do all the expansions (and World Tour like Jblade said). Those two were of great quality and could benefit from enhancing and being part of AA's story.

User is offline   Marya 

Just stating my opinion on the expansions...Don't care if thier added to AA or not.... i'm having enough fun with what we have now.

User is offline   Forge 

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 19 February 2019 - 12:24 PM, said:

I should be the one apologizing. I overreacted a little. I just don't want people assuming because we adapted Caribbean and DC that we will do all the expansions (and World Tour like Jblade said). Those two were of great quality and could benefit from enhancing and being part of AA's story.

World Tour would be hella better if it had the AA treatment.

but i don't feel like having my assets seized

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Even if WT can't be implemented, is there a way to at least make it compatible with the stopgap via some CON wizardry? So it analyzes (and maybe lightly modifies with actor replacements) existing map data as opposed to implementing them?

User is offline   Marya 

View PostForge, on 19 February 2019 - 02:01 PM, said:

World Tour would be hella better if it had the AA treatment.

but i don't feel like having my assets seized
yeah.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 19 February 2019 - 11:00 AM, said:

The transparency may have been removed by accident when I removed the bobbing crosshairs (I just added it back on my end), but the sprite is definitely the same picnum and I don't see any black pixels.
EDIT: I've seen the black pixels phenomenon before, but never in this mod. It's a glitch, but it's not a scripting code thing. Try deleting your cached textures and see if that helps.

I was just about to say, I've been having a similar issue too, since I installed 2.02 (went straight from 2.00). I didn't see it in DC (which I played with 2.00), but occasionally Duke's pistol's laser is either duplicated, or duplicated with one of the dots having black... almost like "lock on" crosshair brackets around it. I tried to get a screenshot but it seems both dots are rapidly flickering so each screenshot only shows one dot, and I couldn't get one with the black outlines.

Here are my attempts at recreating them with MS Paint, if it helps at all:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Duke AA weird laser 1.jpg
  • Attached Image: Duke AA weird laser 2.jpg

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Weird. It definitely doesn't do that for me, but I will look into it.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostNinety-Six, on 19 February 2019 - 05:11 PM, said:

Even if WT can't be implemented, is there a way to at least make it compatible with the stopgap via some CON wizardry? So it analyzes (and maybe lightly modifies with actor replacements) existing map data as opposed to implementing them?

WT art files would conflict with AA art files.

Share this topic:

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options