Duke4.net Forums: Alien Armageddon [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Armageddon [RELEASE]  "showcasing sebabdukeboss20 characters with some enhancements"

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 16 February 2019 - 01:38 AM, said:

Whoever edited Brown Water apparently tried to align some of the wall textures here. They must've changed the orientation with the O key and now the wall textures move up/down with the water level. They need their orientation changed back.

That whole room is messed up & changing the orientation was only half the problem. '2' also had to be used on the walls that had upper & lower sections.
It'll be fixed in a patch.

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 16 February 2019 - 01:38 AM, said:

I did notice that the original, untouched versions of the maps were used instead of my improved versions
One issue being the wood wall next to where the blue card is in Caribbean Catastrophe. You can jump over that wall and get stuck on the other side because the floor is too low. That wall needs to be blocked

Caribbean is going to be a bit raw.
Dan & Seb had more help when the D.C. episode was started and your megaton maps were included, but then everyone got too busy to participate anymore. Some people were asked to help edit maps and start adding extra deco items and enemies, but they backed out of the project. That left Dan, Seb, and myself.

Blame me for using the original maps as a base. Those were the maps I had, I wanted the player to have the original experience, and I tried to avoid molesting the base architecture as much as possible.
Also, I'm a shitty mapper, so there's that too.

The issue you mentioned will be fixed in a patch.

This post has been edited by Forge: 16 February 2019 - 10:00 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

I did some fixes and tweaks too, just not as much as Forge did :)

User is offline   stumppy84 

Cool! My computer crahses and restarts as soon as the 3dR logo appears.. I have an AMD card.

Says this in the log "Error on line grpfiles.cache:1: unexpected eof"

- Nevermind, I got it to work

This post has been edited by stumppy84: 16 February 2019 - 10:59 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Poststumppy84, on 16 February 2019 - 10:44 AM, said:

- Nevermind, I got it to work

What did you do to make it work? Other players may run into the same problem.

User is offline   stumppy84 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 16 February 2019 - 11:05 AM, said:

What did you do to make it work? Other players may run into the same problem.

I just added the dukedc.grp & vacation.grp then changed to a lower res but still kept the Polymer checked

• Duke Plus Developer

View Poststumppy84, on 16 February 2019 - 11:20 AM, said:

I just added the dukedc.grp & vacation.grp then changed to a lower res but still kept the Polymer checked

You should remove vacation.grp since we use our own version. Having it in there is probably harmless, but I would remove it just in case. Also, Polymer is not recommended. You will get lower frame rate, no shadows, no voxels, and we aren't really using its features. The mod is designed for 32-bit but not Polymer.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostJblade, on 16 February 2019 - 10:28 AM, said:

I did some fixes and tweaks too, just not as much as Forge did :)

That's because you're a really hoopy frood, and took time away from AMC TC 3 to help clean up a lot of loose ends.

This post has been edited by Forge: 16 February 2019 - 11:26 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

Version 2.01 patch: https://www.moddb.co...oads/aa201patch

This fixes the map issues that were reported, and also fixes a bug where the alien sniper would continue to fire at the player even when the player left her line of sight.

EDIT: Be warned that putting in the new CON files will invalidate your saves, so if you have saved games in progress that you intend to finish, don't install the patch yet.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 16 February 2019 - 03:51 PM

User is offline   John Brown 

All right, I just finished Smithsonian and I'm having a blast so far. I'm enjoying the weapon upgrades (particularly the Gatling Ripper), the new enemies are a good challenge, and I spent almost an hour in the Smithsonian just looking around at stuff.

The Duke exhibit... it was glorious.

User is offline   Marya 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 16 February 2019 - 03:44 PM, said:

Version 2.01 patch: https://www.moddb.co...oads/aa201patch

This fixes the map issues that were reported, and also fixes a bug where the alien sniper would continue to fire at the player even when the player left her line of sight.

EDIT: Be warned that putting in the new CON files will invalidate your saves, so if you have saved games in progress that you intend to finish, don't install the patch yet.
Yeah i noticed that sniper bug, after playing for awhile who gave him a wall hack? XD Well I guess it's not like you weren't expecting teething problems with this release.

This post has been edited by Marya: 16 February 2019 - 05:23 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMarya, on 16 February 2019 - 05:21 PM, said:

Yeah i noticed that sniper bug, after playing for awhile who gave him a wall hack? XD Well I guess it's not like you weren't expecting teething problems with this release.

It was weird, though. The sniper was firing when the usual checks of ifcansee ifcanshoottarget were true. I fixed it by making the sniper only use my own custom sight detection code. I have no explanation for why the vanilla targeting checks are completely broken on that actor but still seem to work fine with other actors. My guess is that they are in fact broken all around, but the sniper exposes it more because it will fire at any range.

I'm confident enough in my own sight check code now that I will be jettisoning the vanilla sight checks completely -- they were a vestigial remain from before I added team-based AI anyway.

EDIT: I'll mention one other thing about that. My initial theory was that the sight checks were malfunctioning in cases where the snipers were standing right on a sector boundary. I have seen sight checks break under that condition, and the problematic snipers were mostly of the stayput type, so the hypothesis fit. But that turned out not to be true. Even wandering snipers exhibited the same issue.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 16 February 2019 - 05:41 PM

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

If I notice or remember any major issues with the Caribbean maps that should be fixed, I'll mention them. Only if they're serious issues because I did way more fixes to them than I can even keep track of. I do know the nuke button at the end of VACA5 is floating in the air on the boat far away from the wall. I haven't played that far to see if that's been changed or not.

If you plan to include Nuclear Winter in the future, I'd recommend you use the Megaton maps if you want to. It'll save you some work because there were some windows you could walk through in Santa's HQ that allowed you to cheat the map. That's been fixed along with lots of other things. I eliminated several spots in the maps where sectors could crush you if you walked or flew into them with the jetpack. All the maps were tested extensively by a couple of people back when I was fixing them. They're pretty much free of any serious issues.

User is offline   Marya 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 16 February 2019 - 05:37 PM, said:

It was weird, though. The sniper was firing when the usual checks of ifcansee ifcanshoottarget were true. I fixed it by making the sniper only use my own custom sight detection code. I have no explanation for why the vanilla targeting checks are completely broken on that actor but still seem to work fine with other actors. My guess is that they are in fact broken all around, but the sniper exposes it more because it will fire at any range.

I'm confident enough in my own sight check code now that I will be jettisoning the vanilla sight checks completely -- they were a vestigial remain from before I added team-based AI anyway.

EDIT: I'll mention one other thing about that. My initial theory was that the sight checks were malfunctioning in cases where the snipers were standing right on a sector boundary. I have seen sight checks break under that condition, and the problematic snipers were mostly of the stayput type, so the hypothesis fit. But that turned out not to be true. Even wandering snipers exhibited the same issue.
Hmm, well that's an oddity, so will we be getting an explanation on the new enemies and weapon upgrades in the future?

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Great mod. I already finished DC and I'm going through vaca right now.

Some issues I noticed (I play in 1400 x 1050 resolution to avoid headaches, that might have something to do with it):

Barrel is way passed the crosshair:

Spoiler

Text is off the screen:

Spoiler

Also, some new textures need to have the fullbright corrected on them. I was hoping to see the fullbright glitches corrected on the trains in the subway map.

This post has been edited by Radar: 16 February 2019 - 07:45 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMarya, on 16 February 2019 - 05:50 PM, said:

Hmm, well that's an oddity, so will we be getting an explanation on the new enemies and weapon upgrades in the future?

I'm not sure if you mean everything that is new compared with vanilla, or just the things new to 2.0 of AA. I never bothered documenting that stuff, because it seems like no one want to read anything. Here's a list of enemies that are unique to AA:

LIZRANGER -- a female sniper alien of the same race as the lizard troopers. Fires precision railgun shots at long and medium range, can kick at close range.
ARMPIG -- an elite armored pigcop with riot shield. Wields a shotgun and can charge & ram enemies once the shield has been destroyed.
MEGABRAIN -- an elite octabrain. Fires either a trio of small electrical orbs or a large, tracking electrical orb.
MECHBRAIN -- an octabrain's brain inserted into a bipedal robot armed with a minigun. A creation of Dr Proton.
CANHEAD -- the boss at the end of the DC episode. He has a surprise in store for you.
TERMINATOR -- the Dukinator robot, a creation of Dr Proton. Uses a plasma rifle and can crawl at you when its legs are destroyed.
PIGSUV -- Pigcops riding in an SUV, follows a track on the ground, similar to their Recon cars. Will crush living things that it runs over.
DEVOURER -- a gigantic aquatic boss in the sunken city map of New Invasion
SCUBATROOP -- swimming lizard troopers in scuba gear
PIGBOSS -- a huge pigcop armed with a bundle of guns and a massive rebar club. His stomps can shake you.
LIZBOSS -- a huge cybernetically enhanced enforcer lizard. Armed with rockets, bullets, and the ability to leap high and crush his foes when landing.
BOSS2FLY -- a cycloid with wings. After taking enough damage, will crash and then rise again as a normal cycloid.
DRPROTON -- mad scientist cyborg, arch-nemesis of Duke Nukem. This is his humanoid form.
PSPIDER -- This is Dr Proton in his arachnid form.
CYBERBEAST -- A subterranean creature with claws, spit molten rocks, and the ability to roll at enemies in an electric ball form
ZOMBIE -- mutated humans resulting from an alien attempt at making humans more subservient. Abandoned when they realized it make the females unusable.
LIZTURRET -- A laser turret manned by a lizard trooper. Can also be used by the player.
LIZELITE -- An elite lizard trooper. Can jump, dodge, and use a variety of weapons.
ARMYANT -- a monstrosity created by Dr Proton which combines ant parts with human soldier parts.
CORRUPT -- humans corrupted and transformed by an alien pathogen. The mechanism is unknown but the pathogen remains dormant until the host is approached.

New or Changed Weapons in Alien Armageddon:

Duke Nukem
1. Mighty boot. Increased damage, also adds knockback and stun. But the additional effects need 5 seconds to recharge (kicking repeatedly will yield normal kicks). Press down while running forward to slide-kick. This will stun enemies and give you I-frames for a moment.
Jump and then press quick kick to do a jumping side-kick. This will stun enemies and has a change to decapitate some enemies.
2. Pistol. Can be reloaded any time with the alt-fire key. When upgraded to armor piercing, causes bleeding damage to soft targets and additional immediate damage to hard targets.
3. Shotgun. When upgraded, you can switch between regular and explosive damage shots by pressing alt-fire. Explosive rounds use double ammo, and do 150% damage, also are super-effective against Octabrains and will destroy bodies. Cannot be used to destroy cracks though (no sequence breaking).
4. Chaingun. When upgraded, becomes minigun. Has a short spinup time, but can fire at double the normal rate and hold double the ammo.
5. RPG. Same as vanilla.
5. Nuclear missile. A one-shot weapon that occupies the RPG slot as a subweapon if you find it. It nukes stuff.
6. Pipebombs. Holding down fire will show the trajectory that the thrown pipebomb will take.
7. Shrinker. Same as vanilla.
7. Babifier. Same as expander, but instead of simply popping an enemy, it also replaces them with a random NPC (usually a babe). The explosion will harm other enemies but not NPCs or friends.
8. Devastator. Same as vanilla.
8. Railgun. A highly accurate hitscan weapon. Will knock heads off of many enemies. Use altfire for scope.
9. Spider-mines. More practical than laser tripmines, these intelligent mines will walk towards enemies and blow themselves up when close. If no enemies are around, they go into a dormant state. Dormant mines can be picked back up again.
10. Freezer. When upgraded, fires three small freezing projectiles at once. Each projectile has a chance to shatter an already frozen enemy, so in addition to doing more damage, you can kill enemies without switching weapons.
10. Plasma rifle. Dropped by terminators, this rapidly fires plasma bolts. Good damage and good accuracy.

Bombshell
1. Mighty boot. Same as for Duke.
2. Desert Eagle. Does more damage than Duke's pistol, but has a lower firing rate and more recoil. Upgraded version adds armor piercing effect -- bleeding on soft targets, additional damage on hard targets.
3. Shotgun. Has a higher firing rate but lower damage than Duke's shotgun. Explosive round upgrade is available, allowing player to switch to explosive rounds by pressing alt-fire.
4. M4 SMG. Press alt-fire for aiming down sights and increased accuracy. Unlike Duke's chaingun, this gun has a clip and must be reloaded. The upgraded M4 has two barrels, can hold twice the ammo and fires double the rounds (clip size increased as well).
5. RPG. Has two modes which are toggled with the alt-fire key. Incendiary mode causes burning damage in addition to explosive damage. Cryo mode freezes enemies in a large blast radius. Rate of fire is lower than Duke's RPG and explosive damage is somewhat less, but this is compensated by its other effects.
5. Nuclear missile. See above.
6. Rolly turrets. Throws out a ball that unfurls into a smart turret which shoots hitscan bullet at enemies. Each turret has a limited amount of ammo and will expire when depleted. Will fire a rocket at nearby cracks or manholes (so players don't get softlocked on pipebomb progression if using Bombshell). Turrets can be picked up and redeployed, but the amount of ammo left is remembered.
7. Shrinker. Same as vanilla.
7. Babifier. See above.
8. Devastator. Bombshell's devastator fires single, bouncy grenades on each side instead of small dual rockets.
8. Railgun. See above.
9. Spider mines. See above.
10. Incinerator. A hitscan weapon that shoots fiery bullets that incinerate enemies. When upgraded, it fires a concentrated laser beam of fiery death.
10. Plasma rifle. See above.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRadar, on 16 February 2019 - 07:44 PM, said:

Some issues I noticed (I play in 1400 x 1050 resolution to avoid headaches, that might have something to do with it):

Yeah, that is why. It was tested in different resolutions but I didn't check all of them...

EDIT: The attached file should fix it at all resolutions. Unpack it and replace the file of the same name inside the scripts folder.

Attached File(s)

I was expecting to find at least one Super Mario 64 painting in the Smithsonian. If you decide to ever go back and add anything to that map, it would be a cool addition. I did enjoy seeing the other art on display, though. You made some good choices and I liked the They Live tribute using the night vision goggles to see hidden messages.

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 16 February 2019 - 08:35 PM, said:

I was expecting to find at least one Super Mario 64 painting in the Smithsonian. If you decide to ever go back and add anything to that map, it would be a cool addition. I did enjoy seeing the other art on display, though. You made some good choices and I liked the They Live tribute using the night vision goggles to see hidden messages.

Hmm. And the player would try to jump through it... Maybe next update.

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 16 February 2019 - 08:54 PM

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 16 February 2019 - 08:54 PM, said:

Hmm. And the player would try to jump through it... Maybe next update.

Exactly what I was thinking. Put a secret or Mario parody behind it.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 16 February 2019 - 09:56 PM, said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Put a secret or Mario parody behind it.

That's gonna kill me because I will feel obligated to have a whole mini level where you jump through the painting and it uses a mario tileset and physics like the old Mario Nukem TC that I coded a long time ago.

User is offline   Solfish 

Spoiler

When running with bombshell's shotgun, it creates a tiny space between the gun and bottom screen. Playing at 1366x768 resolution.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostSolfish, on 16 February 2019 - 10:40 PM, said:

Spoiler

When running with bombshell's shotgun, it creates a tiny space between the gun and bottom screen. Playing at 1366x768 resolution.

lol I will move it down a little, thanks for the report.

Gonna play it ASAP. Is It possible to have a full changelog since the 1.0 ?

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRichardStorm, on 17 February 2019 - 01:35 AM, said:

Gonna play it ASAP. Is It possible to have a full changelog since the 1.0 ?

Not really. Highlights: 2 refurbished expansion episodes, 6 new enemies, 4 new alllies, 3 new weapons, 4 findable upgrades on older weapons, about 30 new NPCs (most of them pretty simple), hundreds of miscellaneous little features, easter eggs, additional art on existing characters (such as new death animations), etc. One of the biggest changes from my standpoint is an overhaul to the code of all fighting actors which makes the AI faction based instead of player-centric.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 16 February 2019 - 07:59 PM, said:

I'm not sure if you mean everything that is new compared with vanilla, or just the things new to 2.0 of AA. I never bothered documenting that stuff, because it seems like no one want to read anything. Here's a list of enemies that are unique to AA:

*List of enemies and weapons*

I think you forgot the secret chainsaw (which also got a sprite change for Duke).

Anyways, I played around a bit and found some bugs:
  • If you have the pickup order set to "equip if new" then when you pick up a Railgun for the first time, the game will lower your current weapon and bring it right back up again, and not switch to the Railgun.
  • I've been getting some issues with the kill counter on classic episode maps. I think the randomly replaced enemies increase the killcounter erroneously, such that you end up with lots of supposedly missed enemies.
  • Pressing altfire with the Alien Laser out reloads your pistol in the background (both Bombshell's and Duke's). You can still hear the sound of it happening.
  • Fire sources no longer hurt the player. (either spawned or static)
  • Bombshell uses 2 ammo for each Railgun shot, while Duke only uses 1. This is probably an unintended side-effect of the grenade launcher taking 2 ammo each shot.
  • When restarting a map after dying, the health of your partner is not reset to 100.
  • There's a typo in the intro screen to the first episode. The aliens in Duke Nukem 2 are called "Rigelatins" not "Rigletons" (see attachment)
  • The Rolly Turrets are coded to shoot nearby cracks in walls (and other objects that can be exploded) with rockets. It turns out that they do not check for a line of sight when doing this.
    To test this, go to E1L2 and drop a Rolly Turret outside the door to the bathroom. It will attempt to shoot the wall crack on the other end of the corridor.

Some feedback:
  • Sniper aliens are definitely much fairer to fight now and less deadly.
  • I find the fact that the crosshair is bobbing together with the weapon really disorienting, and it actually makes it much harder for me to aim. I think it makes sense with a laser dot, since that is physically attached to the gun, but in gameplay terms it's a nuisance.
  • How useful is the iron sight on Bombshell's M4 really? It's positioned strangely on the HUD and doesn't really aid aiming much. Does it have some hidden benefit (like the Railgun) that I do not know about?

Haven't really touched the DC and Caribbean episodes much yet actually, just testing for edge cases and issues right now :)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: rigletons.png

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 17 February 2019 - 02:04 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

Thanks for your reports, as always. Most of that will be very easy to fix, and I will roll it into the patch that I have been updating on Mod DB (this next one will be 2.01c and I should be able to get it done in the next hour or so).

And yes, there is a significant hidden benefit to using ADS on the M4: it makes the gun twice as accurate, so it becomes much more effective at long range.

• Duke Plus Developer

I have updated a patch which should fix the majority of the recently reported issues:

https://www.moddb.co...oads/aa201patch

Let's go through them.

View PostDoom64hunter, on 17 February 2019 - 02:03 AM, said:

[If you have the pickup order set to "equip if new" then when you pick up a Railgun for the first time, the game will lower your current weapon and bring it right back up again, and not switch to the Railgun.

Fixed. At least the fix worked in my limited testing.

I've been getting some issues with the kill counter on classic episode maps. I think the randomly replaced enemies increase the killcounter erroneously, such that you end up with lots of supposedly missed enemies.

Probably fixed. It seems to be fixed. I actually had code that was supposed to change the kill count when monsters were spawned in as replacements, but the code was being executed too early. I was executing the code in the event which does the replacement, but it turns out that happens before the number is set, so it wasn't doing anything useful. EDIT: nope, it's not fully fixed -- it's closer to accurate, but the max_actors_killed number is still too high.

Pressing altfire with the Alien Laser out reloads your pistol in the background (both Bombshell's and Duke's). You can still hear the sound of it happening.

Fixed.

Fire sources no longer hurt the player. (either spawned or static)

Fixed.

Bombshell uses 2 ammo for each Railgun shot, while Duke only uses 1. This is probably an unintended side-effect of the grenade launcher taking 2 ammo each shot.

Fixed.

When restarting a map after dying, the health of your partner is not reset to 100.

Fixed.

There's a typo in the intro screen to the first episode. The aliens in Duke Nukem 2 are called "Rigelatins" not "Rigletons" (see attachment)

Not fixed yet.

The Rolly Turrets are coded to shoot nearby cracks in walls (and other objects that can be exploded) with rockets. It turns out that they do not check for a line of sight when doing this.

Not fixed yet. This requires some consideration. I want the crack to be destroyed by the blast radius of the rocket even if there is no clean line of sight to it. I really want to avoid softlocks. So, I don't want the turret to just sit there next to the crack and not fire because it doesn't think it can hit the crack.

I find the fact that the crosshair is bobbing together with the weapon really disorienting, and it actually makes it much harder for me to aim. I think it makes sense with a laser dot, since that is physically attached to the gun, but in gameplay terms it's a nuisance.

Most people hate the bobbing crosshairs so I guess I will probably get rid of them. Just not quite yet.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 17 February 2019 - 03:33 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 17 February 2019 - 03:20 AM, said:

I don't want the turret to just sit there next to the crack and not fire because it doesn't think it can hit the crack.

that was one of the original problems (- aside from not recognizing destructible manhole covers.)

At the time it made Death Row impassable.

User is offline   Marya 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 16 February 2019 - 07:59 PM, said:

I'm not AA: sure if you mean everything that is new compared with vanilla, or just the things new to 2.0 of AA. I never bothered documenting that stuff, because it seems like no one want to read anything.

I meant mainly for 2.0 ,but the full list helps too

Anyway here are a couple issues I found relate to graphics, mainly visual in nature. On that note i dislike the bobbing crosshair as well.

!.I think this is a shader or shadow problem but this women at the beginning of the Smithsonian level has some issues.
Spoiler

2. I somehow feel this was also a problem in the Vanilla game but the textures from this Archway have an unusual effect making drawn lines, from the top of the arch to the floor.

Spoiler

View PostTrooper Dan, on 16 February 2019 - 05:37 PM, said:

On a Final note for this post, Yeah that sounds like a good idea i keep hearing the sounds of other aliens 'engaged' when out of sight... or at least I think i did.

This post has been edited by Marya: 17 February 2019 - 10:08 AM

I found a wiki of our page (not done by our team) a few days ago and took the liberty of updating it. I mentioned 2.0 changes.

https://dukenukem.fa...lien_Armageddon

Share this topic:

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options