• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

User is offline   Mark 

meh...Not enough like the original.
Just joking. Thats what makes it so good. So many other remakes sounded like dropin replacements for the original song in game. This does a good job as a stand alone song. I was going to give it a 9 out of 10 until I heard the missing "fast flashy guitar break" at the 4 minute mark. That made it a 10. I wish there was a little more but heck, its a winner now.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

In my opinion the only way it could be improved is by adding the grooviness of the Duke64 version somewhere, plus more of the Zero Hour theme. But it's already long enough I reckon.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I have only one problem with MusicallyInspired's medley: I don't find it heavy / raw enough, other than that it's fantastic.

My favorite version is this one though simply because it's very creative and the heavier parts get the blood flowing + the intro is super badass:

Properly modernized, awesome stuff and also: Stemage! The funny thing: apart from this amazing track the rest of the NUKEM album is utter shit.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 02 February 2019 - 10:59 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm just so sick of all the Megadeath remakes. Lee himself wasn't too crazy about it.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 03 February 2019 - 07:21 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

There are similarities but it's not a Megadeth remake (and btw. yes, the band's name is spelled Megadeth, not Megadeath... I know, it's stupid but hey, it's a metal band).

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 03 February 2019 - 08:35 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

No, it's not a straight "remake." But it follows the same patterns. It seems like whenever anybody covers Grabbag they usually take the Megadeth version and work from there. That version follows the same melodic pattern and chord progressions exactly. There are differences in arrangement (and he did use a piece of the original in one section that Megadeth omitted), but the patterns are still there. It's quite different from Lee's original. I've heard very few covers that launch solely from Lee's composition and arrangement.

Right, I knew that about the spelling. My bad.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 03 February 2019 - 11:26 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 03 February 2019 - 11:18 AM, said:

he did use a piece of the original in one section that Megadeth omitted

Yes, that's what I meant + it has a fair share of original ideas. And even where it's based on the Megadeth arrangement I think it's faster and the drum section is busier so it has this added "virtuosity" I enjoy greatly. Feels more like classic hard rock than just metal.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 03 February 2019 - 07:04 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm not debating against it having a fair share of original ideas or not. I'm not even arguing that it isn't a great cover. I'm saying it's not based on Lee's original. It's based on Megadeth's. There's just no argument about that. I'd like to see more covers that don't use Megadeth as a launching point. Or better yet, one that doesn't reference it at all.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

There was always something off for me in Megadeth version of Grabbag.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 03 February 2019 - 09:33 PM, said:

I'm saying it's not based on Lee's original. It's based on Megadeth's.

Yes, that's true, guess I misunderstood what you meant by saying that it's a Megadeth remake.

Quick question does anyone know how to fix a sound issue with Duke 3D World Tour a gamer on steam forum needs help
https://steamcommuni...13643850490956/

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostZaxx, on 02 February 2019 - 10:55 PM, said:

I have only one problem with MusicallyInspired's medley: I don't find it heavy / raw enough, other than that it's fantastic.

My favorite version is this one though simply because it's very creative and the heavier parts get the blood flowing + the intro is super badass:

Properly modernized, awesome stuff and also: Stemage! The funny thing: apart from this amazing track the rest of the NUKEM album is utter shit.

Let me tell ya something, it's all shit, mate. This cover is awful.

• The Sarien Encounter

Grant Henry is a far better guitarist than I, though. But he didn't write the cover, he was only guest featured in it.

User is offline   Mark 

View PostZaxx, on 02 February 2019 - 10:55 PM, said:

I think it would be better without the 1 minute intro. Overall I'm not saying its great or crap. It just didn't appeal to me as much as other versions.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

That's cool, you like what you like, I brought it up just because it's my fave. Thankfully there are a lot of Grabbags to choose from. :)

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 07 February 2019 - 05:05 AM

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostJimmy 100MPH, on 06 February 2019 - 05:40 PM, said:

Let me tell ya something, it's all shit, mate. This cover is awful.

Totally disagree, love this one. IMHO this intro is a perfect ambient for a new Duke Nukem game.

This post has been edited by brullov: 12 February 2019 - 05:03 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

I won't say I like that "shit", because that music made me remembered the new tracks in RotT 2013...and I prefer original ones, never like any of new ones...feel that's just something totally different for my own taste... :\

But I think everyone has their own taste and I'm fine with their opinions. And I don't have time to care. :)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 14 February 2019 - 03:05 AM

User is offline   NNC 

Grabbag is overrated. Stalker, Plasma, Gotham, and many of the episode 5 music are much better representations of Lee Jackson's musical talent.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 14 February 2019 - 01:33 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostNancsi, on 14 February 2019 - 01:33 PM, said:

Grabbag is overrated. Stalker, Plasma, Gotham, and many of the episode 5 music are much better representations of Lee Jackson's musical talent.

I always found Lee Jackon's songs in Duke to be much better than Bobby Prince's. Which is a surprise considering how good Doom music is. I guess that's what happens when you can't rip-off 80s bands anymore. Posted Image

User is offline   NNC 

View PostRadar, on 14 February 2019 - 01:51 PM, said:

I always found Lee Jackon's songs in Duke to be much better than Bobby Prince's. Which is a surprise considering how good Doom music is. I guess that's what happens when you can't rip-off 80s bands anymore. Posted Image

Prince had his moments as well. City Streets, Water World, Alienz for example are good. But Duke definitely didn't have the quality of Into Sandy's City for example from Prince's side.

User is offline   Lunick 

In Hiding is an amazing track

User is offline   NNC 

Talking about Duke music, wasn't City Streets originally planned for Red Light District (originally: Mean Streets)? It would make sense, as it's a pretty catchy tune, just like Stalker. Coincidentally Dethtoll (Taking the Death Toll) would fit like a glove for Death Row, at least the title. What was the reason of change? Were the barmusic and the City Streets music interfering?

Other weird titles are Subway and Gotham. There are no subways in LA Rumble, however Gotham City is always known from it's large buildings, and Duke moves on the top like Batman. Subway... well, it's an obvious one for Rabid Transit. If this was the case, I see no reasons for change.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 14 February 2019 - 02:24 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostNancsi, on 14 February 2019 - 02:09 PM, said:

Prince had his moments as well. City Streets, Water World, Alienz for example are good. But Duke definitely didn't have the quality of Into Sandy's City for example from Prince's side.

IMO I always considered Duke to be one of the best scored shooters of the 90s. Every track in the game is unique, and they are all very well written without any obvious mistakes. Great variety of instruments, great dynamics, great use of MIDI technology of the time (with volume and panning properly applied). I recently played Strife for the first time, which came out the same year as Duke as you know. The music is pretty terrible from the get-go.

This post has been edited by Radar: 14 February 2019 - 02:59 PM

User is online   Ninety-Six 

View PostNancsi, on 14 February 2019 - 01:33 PM, said:

I don't know if I'd call Grabbag overrated, but how it's the only song that gets attention is admittedly annoying. Gotham's legit my favorite song in the game, and probably the perfect encapsulation of the soundtrack's majority tone.

I did always wonder about that, though. Once you got past the main menu all the music was a lot moodier. Even the most upbeat songs on the soundtrack are still fairly...well, downbeat. I have no complaints about this musical direction, but I have always wondered why. Why this game about a super machismo action man going around blowing up half his levels and spouting one-liners had such a dark, sometimes even creepy soundtrack. I love this soundtrack to death and wouldn't change it for the world but I am very curious about what prompted that direction. I think Lee said at one point that the soundtrack's tone was set by someone on high, and he and Bobby just followed through. I always wanted to know who and why.

View PostNancsi, on 14 February 2019 - 02:09 PM, said:

I dunno. Personally speaking, I'd take Alienz over Sandy any day.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostNinety-Six, on 14 February 2019 - 07:25 PM, said:

I did always wonder about that, though. Once you got past the main menu all the music was a lot moodier. Even the most upbeat songs on the soundtrack are still fairly...well, downbeat. I have no complaints about this musical direction, but I have always wondered why. Why this game about a super machismo action man going around blowing up half his levels and spouting one-liners had such a dark, sometimes even creepy soundtrack. I love this soundtrack to death and wouldn't change it for the world but I am very curious about what prompted that direction. I think Lee said at one point that the soundtrack's tone was set by someone on high, and he and Bobby just followed through. I always wanted to know who and why.

Songs like Grabbag would be terribly annoying for a long 10-12 minute playthrough in a level. Especially in a game which was built for atmosphere and exploration, not just for random blowouts. In a level like Stadium it would be OK, but that's all.

Just see at Doom's Gate (Hangar song). In that very short level, it has a punch, and it's frequently listed as people's favourite. But when you hear it in Plutonia level Odyssey of Noises for example, which plays like for 20 minutes, it's a terrible, distracting experience. At least for me. Songs like the Healer Stalks or Message to the Archvile, or in the case of Duke, songs like Plasma or Gotham or Whomp or even modern songs like Dukelinka or Bridge Out are much better experiences throughout a level.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 15 February 2019 - 12:01 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostLunick, on 14 February 2019 - 02:20 PM, said:

In Hiding is an amazing track

Well after the cold reception Hyperduck's version of Grabbag got I'm afraid to put this here but their cover of In Hiding is amazing too so fuck the haters:

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 15 February 2019 - 12:05 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNinety-Six, on 14 February 2019 - 07:25 PM, said:

I don't know if I'd call Grabbag overrated, but how it's the only song that gets attention is admittedly annoying. Gotham's legit my favorite song in the game, and probably the perfect encapsulation of the soundtrack's majority tone.

Yeah, overall I'm in the same boat too: Grabbag is great as a theme song but in-game I prefer the other stuff. Even a new Duke game could benefit a lot more from a modern electronic soundtrack with a strong atmosphere and synth vibes than just rock, a kinda laid back version of Carpenter Brut would be ideal for example.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 15 February 2019 - 12:19 AM

User is online   Ninety-Six 

View PostNancsi, on 14 February 2019 - 11:57 PM, said:

Songs like Grabbag would be terribly annoying for a long 10-12 minute playthrough in a level. Especially in a game which was built for atmosphere and exploration, not just for random blowouts. In a level like Stadium it would be OK, but that's all.

Just see at Doom's Gate (Hangar song). In that very short level, it has a punch, and it's frequently listed as people's favourite. But when you hear it in Plutonia level Odyssey of Noises for example, which plays like for 20 minutes, it's a terrible, distracting experience. At least for me. Songs like the Healer Stalks or Message to the Archvile, or in the case of Duke, songs like Plasma or Gotham or Whomp or even modern songs like Dukelinka or Bridge Out are much better experiences throughout a level.

Even with that being as it is, I don't think it explains everything. Like that would still apply if all the songs were like Water World or Stalker. But those are honestly in the minority. Most of the songs are really dark, somber, and even creepy. Like that's the part I want to know about. Why songs like Gotham are the majority as opposed to Stalker.

Again, it's not a complaint, because like I said, I love Gotham. I love Plasma. And Space Storm. And Sneaky Snake, In Tents, RoboCreeping, Urban Jungle... I adore this soundtrack. I just wish I knew the thinking and what was going through that person's head when this decision was made. Because it seems like such an odd fit to me. Sort of like how I think Doom would make more sense with a more horror-y soundtrack (or indeed, Duke's soundtrack) as opposed to metal-inspired, but at least that was explained. I don't think Duke's ever was, and that makes me sad.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 15 February 2019 - 12:39 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It's because Duke Nukem 3D was always supposed to be a neo-noir cyber-futuristic dark sci-fi game. All of the 90s 'tude was an afterthought.

• The Sarien Encounter

I really like Whomp beta and ItsGreen.

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options