Duke4.net Forums: Def langage - how to scale new texture ? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Def langage - how to scale new texture ?

User is offline   Bruno 

Hi everyone !

It's been a long time since I've logged in. Life did not leave me much time for Duke Nukem things.

I'm trying to import some textures from Serious Sam games into Mapster32. At first glance, it works well thanks to the DEF file I created. But the size of these textures does not suit me. They seem far too big. So, I add the xscale and yscale to resize the texture (for information, it's a 256x256 in .jpg, others are in .png) :

"tilefromtexture 3589 { file "User/textures/Floor/004HD.jpg" }
texture 3589 { pal 0 { file "User/textures/Floor/004HD.jpg"
nocompress xscale 0.5 yscale 0.5 } }
"

I do not understand, the result is good on the floor or ceiling after adding xscale and yscale value. But when I insert this texture as a sprite, it looks like this (see picture) and it's so weird...

Thank you to those who can help me and have a nice day. :-)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Problème.png

This post has been edited by Bruno: 31 January 2019 - 02:38 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I wonder if this is the same problem: https://forums.duke4...sable-with-hrp/

User is offline   Bruno 

Thank you for your feedback.
It's not really the same problem.
Indeed, my sprite as you see on the picture is "static". It's seems that my texture is being a quarter of a mosaic. The 3/4 remaining IS totally weird as you see on the picture.
I'm trying to shrink my texture size and it gives me that weird mosaic. Anyone know ?

User is offline   Bruno 

By the way, it's strange because I don't have this problem with the models I imported.

User is offline   blizzart 

Is this a HiRes tile?

In that case, try this: https://wiki.eduke32...guage#dummytile

I think the maximum of the <x-dimension> and <y-dimension> is 256 x 256 here.

User is offline   Bruno 

Textures I import are in PNG or JPG, taken from Serious Sam .tex file. I used a little tool named "texconverter" very simple. Most of them are 256x256. But some of these textures are in 512x512. The result is not a beautiful High Resolution render because there are pixels. And concerning models, it's like a oldschool quake 2 style with some pixel. But it keeps an oldschool mood of the graphism.
I'm going to try this mate. Thank you very much ! I will give you a feedback !

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: models.png

This post has been edited by Bruno: 01 February 2019 - 06:49 AM

View PostBruno, on 01 February 2019 - 06:41 AM, said:

Textures I import are in PNG or JPG, taken from Serious Sam .tex file. I used a little tool named "texconverter" very simple. Most of them are 256x256. But some of these textures are in 512x512. The result is not a beautiful High Resolution render because there are pixels. And concerning models, it's like a oldschool quake 2 style with some pixel. But it keeps an oldschool mood of the graphism.
I'm going to try this mate. Thank you very much ! I will give you a feedback !

That textures should look fine ingame. Just Mapster renders them pixelated. But you change that in the mapster32.cfg.

User is offline   Bruno 

Ok mate, thank you. I'm going to take a look at the maspter32.cfg. I already change the gride size on this file. I think it should not very difficult to have a better render.
Concerning x-dimension y-dimension, I try several things, but it doesn't change m'y problem. Maybe am i missing something ?

View PostBruno, on 01 February 2019 - 11:34 AM, said:

Ok mate, thank you. I'm going to take a look at the maspter32.cfg. I already change the gride size on this file. I think it should not very difficult to have a better render.
Concerning x-dimension y-dimension, I try several things, but it doesn't change m'y problem. Maybe am i missing something ?

Here´s an example of how I use it:
dummytile 0000 128 128
texture 0 {
   pal 0 { file "highres/textures/bf/bf0000.jpg" }
}

The X- and Y-dimensions are there to tell Mapster how big it has to scale the texture. For me 64x64 works fine for floor and ceiling textures and 128 x 128 for wall textures. Everything over 256 x 256 caused the same problem for me like you have.

User is offline   Bruno 

Ah ok. If I understand, I have to delete every code line about "nocompress", "nodownsize", "xscale" and "yscale" ? And just fix the texture dimension with the codeline dummytile x-dimension y-dimension. That's it ?
Even if my texture is taller than 256x256, I can fix it in Defs.con with a 128 value or 64 value for example (power of two thing). That's it ?

User is offline   Mark 

yes

User is offline   Bruno 

Thank you very much !! It's perfect now ! :)
Sorry for the beginner question...
Have a nice day !

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options