Duke4.net Forums: Addon compilation with r7187 or later - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Addon compilation with r7187 or later

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I have already forwarded this issue directly to Hendricks via PM, but I'll mention it here as well:

After someone reported a problem with loading the addon compilation, I tried to load the EAC and actually found that it doesn't load at all any more. Message log stays empty and eventually the EDuke32 launcher stops responding.

Build: eduke32_win64_20181216-7296
PC: Intel Core i5/750, 8GB RAM
Graphics card: Geforce GTX 960

The last build that seems to be working is this one:
eduke32_win64_20181118-7141.7z

This means that between 7141 and 7187, something was done that breaks the loading process somehow. From an amateur look at the changelogs, I would suspect r7151 to be the culprit since that one seems to be about buffer size reduction for scanning grps. 64 KB instead of 8 MB may not be enough to handle large amounts of groupfiles.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 18 December 2018 - 07:53 AM

User is offline   FistMarine 

I would like to try loading an addon to see if this happens to me, do you have an example addon you can upload right here? I don't have Addon Compilation installed on my PC anymore and I'm not going to bother with downloading the version that was released 2 years ago (My internet connection sometimes fails during downloading), so I'd rather wait for newest version and I would prefer if you upload any addon here as an example for bug report.

Speaking of Hendricks, this may be a forum bug but I have sent Hendricks a few PMs in past few weeks and it seems like he hasn't received them. :)

This post has been edited by RunningDuke: 18 December 2018 - 11:05 AM

• The Truth is in here

It's the compilation as a whole that causes the crashes, not a single addon.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 18 December 2018 - 07:52 AM

User is offline   FistMarine 

Ah ok, I thought that the grpinfo feature didn't work anymore regardless of the number of addons or the size of a certain addon. I realize now from what you said earlier, compilation doesn't load anymore when you have a lot of addons defined.

• The Truth is in here

Fixed with r7299. Thanks, guys!

• The Truth is in here

Loading .dat files in large amounts still does not work even with latest r7299. Last release working is r7141.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

OK, I'll take a look at this today.

• The Truth is in here

Ask Hendricks if you need a test setup. I provided him with a link to get a prototype package.

If it means anything, Mapster32 also "unlearned" to load .dat files in recent snapshots. Loads itself to death. No issues with r7141. I am using zip compression with "Ultra"/"Deflate" setting in 7-Zip.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 27 December 2018 - 04:14 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostNightFright, on 27 December 2018 - 03:38 PM, said:

I am using zip compression with "Ultra"/"LZMA" setting in 7-Zip.

Zip files compressed with LZMA are not true zip files. LZMA is the 7-Zip compression format, and EDuke32 does not know how to read those.

• The Truth is in here

I think it is actually "Deflate". LZMA I use with GZDoom pk3s for maximum filesize reduction.

Anyway, since r7141 works it needs to be a format that EDuke32 used to be able to process while now it isn't.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 27 December 2018 - 04:16 PM

• el fundador

I'm unable to reproduce this issue.

https://hastebin.com/raw/abomaduqot

• The Truth is in here

I am without computer access until Jan 7. After that, I'll try to compile a minimum setup for fast checking.

All I can write right now is when I exchange recent EDuke32 binaries with r7141 or lower, all addon files load quite fast. Otherwise launcher gets stuck.

Mind that I didn't test with any of my official releases, just my internal compilation prototype which is significantly different.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 29 December 2018 - 08:40 AM

• el fundador

I tested with the official releases and with the one you sent Hendricks.

• The Truth is in here

Weird then. I'll try with different settings, but after all I even wiped all config files and made sure autoload isn't used. Maybe it is hardware related. Will test recent snapshots on my other computer once I return from holidays. If it works there I guess I'd have to post detailed hardware/software configs of the "problematic" one.

Right now I only have this info about the PC on which I tested:

PC: Intel Core i5/750, 8GB RAM
Graphics card: Geforce GTX 960

This post has been edited by NightFright: 29 December 2018 - 01:09 PM

• The Truth is in here

Checked again today and it's still the same. r7141 loads everything, r7299 hangs during startup. I can exclude wrong compression type since I guess EDuke32 wouldn't have loaded LZMA compressed files in any case.

Is there anything at all that can have an impact on zip/dat file loading besides the actual binary (e.g. config files)?

This post has been edited by NightFright: 07 January 2019 - 03:12 AM

• el fundador

Just the "grpfiles.cache" file.

• The Truth is in here

Actually, it looks like any build after r7141 doesn't run AT ALL for me - even if I don't use the -jaddons parameter and just want to run duke3d.grp. Doesn't even matter whether it's a 32-bit or 64-bit version, it's hanging during startup.
This means it's an entirely different, general problem and has nothing to do with loading dat files.

A full CPU-Z log dump for my system is attached in spoilers (warning, lots of text).

Spoiler

This post has been edited by NightFright: 08 January 2019 - 04:33 AM

• The Truth is in here

Unfortunately, r7311 still has not solved my issue.

• el fundador

There isn't much I can do about it if I can't reproduce it. Maybe you can find an event in event viewer that corresponds to the application hang and post that?

• The Truth is in here

If I know how, I will. I need the debug version for that?

• The Truth is in here

Can it be an issue with SDL 2.0.9 maybe?

I just let the launcher do its thing without trying to click on it at all. What it is doing then is take about 5 minutes before I see something on the log screen, then it quits after these entries (using duke3d.grp shareware for testing purposes):

EDuke32 r7311
Built Jan 13 2019 15:32:55, GCC 7.2.0, 64-bit 
Using C:/Users/robin.reisinger/Downloads/EDuke32/ for game data
Checking for updates...
Connecting to http://www.eduke32.com
Current version is 20120522... no updates available
Running on Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (build 6.1.7601)
Initializing SDL 2.0.9
Searching for game data...
 Checksumming duke3d.grp... Done

After that it quits to desktop without any error message.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 15 January 2019 - 06:51 AM

• The Truth is in here

New observation:

r7311 seems to run the FIRST time I launch EDuke32, not any more after that.

I am using VirtualMIDISynth 2.5.4 with (GeneralUserGS 1.471 soundfont) for MIDI synth, and the program stays active after EDuke32 closes. Running EDuke32 a second time would cause the problem, i.e. the launcher getting stuck. Closing VirtualMIDISynth via task manager prior to launching EDuke32 would eliminate the problem.

So my guess by now is it's either an issue with VirtualMIDISynth or the way EDuke32 handles MIDI playback, depending on whether anything has changed about that since r7141.

VirtualMIDISynth settings (in case this has anything to do with it or can help in any way):
- Amount of devices: 1
- Buffer size: 250
- Hardware mixing: activated
- Sample rate: 48000
- Polyphony: 500
- Max synthesis rendering time: 95%
- Hall max lvl: 64
- Chorus max lvlv: 64
- Override MIDI SYSEX msgs: activated

*UPDATE*
I still cannot reliably reproduce this issue, though. It seems to happen with VST MIDI Driver and the Yamaha S-YXG50 plugin as well.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 21 January 2019 - 03:16 AM

• The Truth is in here

I think I finally found something I can reliably reproduce.
As soon as I open and run ANY program/app/website with music/sound running and launch EDuke32 at the same time, launcher will get stuck. Examples: AIMP or Youtube. When no music is running in the background, EDuke32 will launch normally (if certain conditions are fulfilled, see below). r7141 or sooner didn't care about that.

In detail, example AIMP:
- AIMP opened, playback not started: Works
- AIMP opened, playback running: Freezes
- AIMP opened, playback stopped: Freezes
- AIMP closed after playback: Works

Does this help in any way?

This post has been edited by NightFright: 22 January 2019 - 04:35 AM

• el fundador

What happens if you go into the "advanced" tab in the Windows properties for your audio device and disable the checkbox that says "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"?

• The Truth is in here

No change, same behavior with "Exclusive Mode" deactivated. Also with very latest r7317.
If it wasn't evident from the log I have attached above, I am using a Soundblaster Play! 3 with latest Win7 drivers (v1.01.08).

• Weaponized Autism

Does this sound similar to the issue you're facing? http://forum.corsair...795&postcount=2

• The Truth is in here

Well, it's not freezing my system, just the EDuke32 launcher. Mouse and everything else remains responsive, that's why I can shut down the crashed launcher via task manager.

I would blame my hardware/software config if EDuke32 r7141 or earlier didn't run without problems.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 23 January 2019 - 02:03 PM

• Weaponized Autism

Baracuda from 3DR had a very similar issue with the EDuke32/IM startup window freezing and it ended up being his glitchy Corsair keyboard interacting with joystick enumeration, potentially as part of recently introduced changes in SDL 2.0.9.

• The Truth is in here

I am just using a simple keyboard and no joystick on this PC, without any extra drivers installed, just using those provided by Windows 7.

Maybe you guys could make a test build for me with recent EDuke32 code and just SDL reverted to 2.0.8 to see if it's definitely because of that?

This post has been edited by NightFright: 23 January 2019 - 10:37 PM

• The Truth is in here

I see TerminX was really fast and reverted the SDL 2.0.9 update in r7318. As expected, this fixed my issue and EDuke32 launcher works fine now even with music playback active in the background. Thanks a lot, guys!

This post has been edited by NightFright: 24 January 2019 - 12:40 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options