Duke4.net Forums: Mage's Initiation finally in beta (game I scored) - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mage's Initiation finally in beta (game I scored)

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Posted Image

Kickstarter Campaign
Playable Demo

A game I scored the music for which has been in development since 2008 (I was contracted in 2010) and held a Kickstarter campaign in February 2013 has finally moved into the beta testing phase. I'm really relieved and excited. Relieved because it's nice to see this game finally getting on its feet and to have this burden off my back, and excited to have my first full commercial game score under my belt. It's a P&C adventure/RPG game made by the same folks at AGDI who made the King's Quest 1-3 and QFG2 remakes. This game is rendered in 600x400 rather than 320x200 however and sprite scaling is even higher than that so it looks quite nice. It also has a unique battle engine that I've not seen before and I actually kind of like it. It is mostly optional, though, and you can most of the time just play it as a straight adventure without battling very much if you wanted.

Anyway, nobody but the backers who pledged at least at the $70 tier are getting to play it yet, but again it's just nice to be done with it. I will probably need to adjust the timing of certain pieces once the voice acting has been recorded and implemented, but the composition is all done. The soundtrack is over 2 hours in length and represents what I consider the best work I've ever done with the most attention I've given to a soundtrack. Beta testing is likely to take quite a few months as quirks and bugs with the battle system are ironed out as well as obviously the standard puzzle aspects of the game. Overall, after playing the beta for the first time extensively since earlier demo builds, the game feels really good and almost like a King's Quest or Quest For Glory meets Skyrim.

In the past I scored AGDI's King's Quest 3 Redux remake and part of Infamous Adventures' Space Quest 2 remake (along with two other composers), but this will be my first full commercial soundtrack. I've got some track demos on my Soundcloud too you can check out.

Just wanted to share my enthusiasm. :D

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 14 September 2016 - 09:14 AM

Kudos! Music sounds good, right at home in a Quest For Glory style game.

• The Sarien Encounter

Mage's Initiation has a release date! January 30th, 2019. It's been a long road but I believe the game has benefited much from the extra time. I'm excited for this to finally hit the world.

User is offline   Malgon 

Looks nice. Adding to my Steam wishlist now. :rolleyes:

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

The music-track sounds good. Fits the genre well.

This post has been edited by Forge: 29 November 2018 - 04:37 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

That’s a really unusual genre... point and click with RPG and combat elements? Intriguing.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

It looks like an advanced King's Quest with better interface and less annoying puzzles.

• The Sarien Encounter

Same creators of the King's Quest remakes (Tierra/AGD Interactive), incidentally.

View PostMicky C, on 29 November 2018 - 04:42 AM, said:

That’s a really unusual genre... point and click with RPG and combat elements? Intriguing.

Ever hear of Quest For Glory? But yeah, it's not common.

Combat elements (no pun intended) are different even still, though. Instead of changing screens, the play area just turns into a combat zone with alternate on-screen readouts and controls. WASD keys (customizable) or standard mouse controls are supported. I like to use WASD for combat.

User is offline   Mark 

I love point and click adventure games. I got worried for a second when I saw WASD in your post. Then I read "or standard mouse controls". WASD only would have been a deal breaker for me. But I hope its available somewhere other than Steam.

EDIT: I just played a few minutes of the alpha demo. I like the looks and GUI. I like it best when you can lean way back in the chair and control the game with only the mouse. No need to sit up and access a keyboard.

This post has been edited by Mark: 29 November 2018 - 07:12 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, I was just referring to the combat sections which, for me, work better with WASD so I can have quick access to the shortcut keys for spell-casting and potion-drinking. And the mouse is always there at the same time in my right hand. I found it a bit cumbersome with the mouse only. But that was just me. Many of the beta testers preferred mouse-only as well. Which, fortunately, works just fine.

Make no mistake, this is a primarily mouse-driven game! (with 3 different mouse interfaces at that: Sierra icon-bar style, LucasArts verb-coin style, and a simple modern style, all toggle-able at any point during the game)

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 29 November 2018 - 07:24 AM

User is offline   ---- 

It is featured on PCGamer:

https://www.pcgamer....uest-for-glory/

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 30 November 2018 - 09:42 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Mage's Initiation now has a Coming Soon page on GOG. Go now and wishlist it if you're one of those anti-Steam/anti-DRM fellows. :)

https://www.gog.com/...v1bCiPjUhVQmrHk

• The Sarien Encounter

It's now also on the Humble Store.
https://www.humblebu...of-the-elements

• The Sarien Encounter

So, it's out on GOG and Humble now. But Steam screwed us over. Apparently it's listed as "needs review" even though they already authorized it ages ago. Project director is ticked. Can't formally announce it without Steam, he says. Oh well, you can get it on GOG and Humble for now anyway. It's also 10% off.

EDIT: It's out now on Steam!

It's kind of surreal to see it plastered on front pages like this! Also looking into other stores later on like Itch and Epic.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 30 January 2019 - 11:35 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

You can now buy the soundtrack from my Bandcamp store. 80 tracks (and 12 bonus tracks) of over 2hrs and 20mins of music with some tracks that never made it into the game. Comes with 4 variations of the cover art too.

$12 CAD (or $9 USD)

Posted Image

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 10 February 2019 - 05:41 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

Congratulations on the release! Looking forward to listening through it tomorrow after work! :)

• The Sarien Encounter

Thanks!!

User is offline   Mark 

I listened to bits and pieces of maybe a dozen random tracks. There were a few that worked to evoke a scene in my head which is a good thing. Some sounded good enough to be a track for a scene in a major movie.

• The Sarien Encounter

High praise! Thank you so much. :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options