Duke4.net Forums: Prodeus - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Prodeus  "Another retro shooter that looks awesome"

User is offline   VGA 

How about we focus on the game? I think it look awesome in the gifs they have shown. Of course, I don't care too much unless I see its Steam page.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Has a Steam page now with a trailer:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

https://store.steamp...964800/Prodeus/

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 20 November 2018 - 11:07 PM

User is offline   VGA 

Looks fucking awesome!

But can you spoiler those gifs so they don't load each time I visit the thread on my phone? :rolleyes:

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostVGA, on 21 November 2018 - 04:20 PM, said:

Looks fucking awesome!

But can you spoiler those gifs so they don't load each time I visit the thread on my phone? :rolleyes:

Sorry, VGA, I can't edit my post anymore - I'll try to be mindful of gif size in the future though!

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Andrew Hulshult is officially everywhere now:
https://twitter.com/...493033598894095

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Is DOOM3 considered retro these days?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It's probably the last remnant of what retro is right now.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 25 November 2018 - 05:17 PM, said:

It's probably the last remnant of what retro is right now.

I dunno, I'd pretty much consider stuff like BioShock 1-2 retro too these days. They just don't make 'em like they used to, those games were pretty much the last hurrah for the "story-driven shooter without dumbed down mechanics" category.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 25 November 2018 - 06:27 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Oh. Well, if that's retro then Doom 3 would probably be considered the last the "classic" shooters.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

It looks competently designed but... I don't know. It just doesn't do anything for me.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 25 November 2018 - 07:10 PM, said:

Oh. Well, if that's retro then Doom 3 would probably be considered the last the "classic" shooters.

I may get some rocks thrown at me for this but Doom 3? I think that game is absolutely a precursor to the so called modern military shooter with its metallic / grey, colorless aesthetic, rather slow gameplay and emphasis on "atmosphere" instead of tight FPS mechanics. In my book the early era of FPS is about shooting shit and exploring levels and Doom 3 simply does not focus much on those things (D3 is basically a severely dumbed down version of System Shock 2 mixed with Half-Life 1... what a classic!). When it comes to level design for example the first two Bioshock games are closer to stuff like Duke 3D and Blood than you might think.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 25 November 2018 - 07:38 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Yes, that's true. But it still had a full weapon arsenal, health packs, multiple bad guys coming out of no where, and could get particularly chaotic especially towards the end where you're just running and shooting everything. That was my recollection anyway. After that, everything went 2-weapon limit, recharging health, crouch-cover system, and even more exposition sequences in an even tighter and more visually linear straight line.

It bleeds over to both eras in some ways. In a better way than DNF did sometimes, for instance.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 25 November 2018 - 09:49 PM

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

This game looks so boring.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Postbrullov, on 26 November 2018 - 02:03 PM, said:

This game looks so boring.

Right? It doesn't really have anything to offer. It's competently designed, the levels look like they're well designed, everything looks technically good... But it doesn't really have anything, even a gimmick ,that really makes it stand out. It looks like a hybred of Doom 4 and Doom 3 with a pixel filter on it. All the good throwbacks are also bringing their own unique spin to things to really helpt hem stand apart. IE Dusk has the unlocked mouse-look when you fly through the air. Ion Maiden has the Bowling Bombs and other Duke-ish unique weapons. .. This really just feels like a bog standard tech-base FPS game.

User is offline   Avoozl 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 25 November 2018 - 09:48 PM, said:

After that, everything went 2-weapon limit, recharging health, crouch-cover system, and even more exposition sequences in an even tighter and more visually linear straight line.
But a few games did make these problems a little more tolerable such as the last two Deus Ex games.

User is offline   VGA 

View PostGrand Admiral Thrawn, on 26 November 2018 - 08:58 PM, said:

But a few games did make these problems a little more tolerable such as the last two Deus Ex games.

You play the modern Deus Ex games for the story and the power trip fantasy of playing an augmented badass. There is nothing special about their gameplay and they aren't real shooters.

• The Sarien Encounter

Certainly not "retro" or "classic".

User is offline   Avoozl 

View PostVGA, on 28 November 2018 - 06:19 AM, said:

You play the modern Deus Ex games for the story and the power trip fantasy of playing an augmented badass. There is nothing special about their gameplay and they aren't real shooters.
All I am trying to say is not all games with some of those problems are bad. But they are shooters, they have gunplay it's just that they combined a few genres, they are pretty much FPS-RPG but the last two games unlike the first two seem more like FPS games with RPG elements. I never said that there was anything special about their gameplay, but they aren't plain run of the mill FPS games released these days like CoD where the gameplay is extremely minimal and have only those crappy overused mechanics.

This post has been edited by Grand Admiral Thrawn: 28 November 2018 - 06:12 PM

User is offline   leilei 

It's as "retro" as struggling to run id Tech 4 games on a 64-bit FX5200 in 2004-2007 to the point of dropping it down to 320x240 for any framerate at all. Such "old school nostalgia" that is its main primary selling point. So much hanging on that vec2(round(fragcoord.x*320)/320,round(fragcoord.y*240)/240) line and other cheap rounding abuse to distinguish it from Alpha Prime.

I think the last game I can recall with polygon models lack of precise angles was one of the dos Lucasfilm Games flight sims ~1990. That problem was already sorted out and dealt with before the dawn of FPS games.

This post has been edited by leilei: 28 November 2018 - 06:38 PM

User is offline   ReaperAA 

Quote from a guy on Doomworld forums named Dragonfly. The Post's Link

So there's a bit of a reason I was being quiet on this thread. It's been hard to contain my excitement, but now I can finally say that I'm part of the Prodeus dev team!

https://twitter.com/...483479206060032

I'd want to thank everyone who's backed the kickstarter already and also to those that have put forward fair criticism - you're all doing your part in making a better game. :lol: I can tell you that the developers are very keen on listening to good feedback, so keep it coming! :lol:

So who is Dragonfly? He is one of the current best mappers in Doom community. His doom projects include masterpieces such as Skulldash and Eviternity.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Really not feeling this:

The aesthetic still seems sloppy and random, like they're making some kind of bro shooter (Brodeus?) that tries to also capitalize on the retro fad while it lasts. The plebs seem to be loving it, though.

This post has been edited by thricecursed: 11 April 2019 - 05:01 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

This is like a cheap royalty free casio cover of a famous pop song.

I can appreciate the effort but... why ?

User is offline   Loke 

The weapons sounds worse than Doom 3. Needs WAY more punch.

what's up with the giant hud?

Wow, another indie game that capitalizes on nostalgia to disguise a chronical lack of ideas. I can't wait to miss it.

It looks like what a teenager who just got into retro shooters thinks an old-school FPS should look like, i'm not convinced.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostLazy Dog, on 11 April 2019 - 09:28 AM, said:

what's up with the giant hud?

Yeah I was like "is this Metroid Prime?"

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View PostAlektorophobiA, on 11 April 2019 - 10:55 AM, said:

It looks like what a teenager who just got into retro shooters thinks an old-school FPS should look like, i'm not convinced.

You're not wrong there.

Kai Kubicek
11 hours ago
Holy Shit!!! OMG, this makes Ion Maiden look like garbage, I wish I could refund it and give you the money I spent on it. Prodeus looks freaking incredible, you can totally tell you guys are not just Devs but are also hard core gamers for real / legit \m/ it show in the game. Man, the quality is off the chain you guys should be really God damn proud of what you accomplished. I am going to hard core pass the word around as much as I can, the proj deserves massive respect.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Connecting Ion Maiden with the word "garbage" in any context --> Credibility -100, debility +1000.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 11 April 2019 - 12:03 PM

remember kids, when in doubt
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 11 April 2019 - 12:07 PM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options