Quake corner.  "Everything related to the Quake franchise. Discuss here."

User is offline   Bloodshot 

Just a heads up guys, the DM4 jam release is incoming

Posted Image

It's gonna be a big one, sitting around 21 maps - including my own contribution

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View PostBloodshot, on 19 March 2018 - 12:05 PM, said:

It's gonna be a big one, sitting around 21 maps - including my own contribution
I'll play it when I get a new computer (so I can play Ion Maiden too!). But for now, what editor do you use to make Quake maps like those? I always used Worldcraft 1.6, but I'm beginning to find it a bit uncomfortable to use, along with some annoying bugs. I saw something about TrenchBroom and looks pretty cool, but unfortunately it doesn't work on my current computer.

User is offline   Loke 

View PostPerro Seco, on 19 March 2018 - 04:03 PM, said:

...what editor do you use to make Quake maps like those? I always used Worldcraft 1.6, but I'm beginning to find it a bit uncomfortable to use, along with some annoying bugs.

Try the J.A.C.K. editor, it supports Quake as well as Half-Life, Quake II and Quake III. You can even map for Hexen II as well as Gunman Chronicles with it.

I use TrenchBroom2 but I've heard good things about JACK, and if you have any experience with hammer like I do I'm sure the transition is easy.

I just prefer TB2 overall because once you know all the keys it's probably the fastest editor I've used

DM4 Jam is RELEASED

Grab it while it's hot

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

MMORPG and PC Gamer are offering free Steam keys for Saber Interactive's Quake Champions game, which like all other recent arena shooters not called Overwatch is struggling to find an audience.

As PC Gamer say, "Play the free-to-play version before it goes free-to-play."

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Surprise. They are gone already.

User is offline   Poorchop 

Wow I thought that I requested a key kind of late but I ended up getting one. Played a little bit of the game and I was surprised that I unlocked two additional champions after a few matches, including the champion that I wanted the most. The game play is all right. I played a little Quake Live and this isn't drastically different.

My biggest issue is that the game is clearly designed to be as addictive as possible in terms of loot boxes. I guess it's not the worst model for a free to play game since you don't have to pay to unlock weapons as far as I can tell, although you might have to pay to access all of the champions unless you want to spend a lifetime grinding for them. I was lucky to unlock two of them right off the bat but I expect that unlocking the others won't be as easy.

If any of you played Doom 4 multiplayer, it looks and feels somewhat similar but there is a little less bullshit in that getting 5 direct hits with a rocket launcher on your opponent actually kills them. In Doom, I can't even count the number of times that I did an obscene amount of damage to someone and they still came out on top with some low damage pot shots.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

So I learned recently (though fairly late) that E2M6 of Q1 was cut down in release. I'm attempting to insert the map that combines the lost intro and the main level into the main rotation but I have no idea how to do that. I tried putting it into the Id1/maps folder but that doesn't work. I can't even access it with the map command that way. Only if I change the filename, but that doesn't really "replace" the original E2M6.

I'm using Quakespasm for the record.

Anyone know how to do this? I have zero experience in tinkering with the Quake engine or file system.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 04 May 2018 - 03:45 AM

• The Truth is in here

In ports like Mark V, your best bet is to use Pakscape. Create a new pak with it, add maps/e2m6.map (with this folder structure) and save. If you have pak0.pak and pak1.pak, name the new file pak2.pak and place it into the id1 subdir. This way it should override the original map whenever you load it.

If you can't get it done, I have a finished version I use by myself, with .lit and .vis files included for colored lighting and transparent water (.vis files only work in Mark V, though). Can provide you with it if needed.

You can download Pakscape here:
https://cdn.valvedev...fP/pakscape.zip

Once extracted, it's just an exe that does not require installation.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 04 May 2018 - 08:19 AM

Been a while since i posted about my mod here

Discovered .viewmodelforclient so i've been using it for custom effects and sprite emitters to do some nifty stuff, i've got sprite muzzleflashes for every gun, an overheating SNG barrel (visual only) and a duke3d-type overlay for the biosuit:

I've also been learning CSQC and I've been using it for custom HUDs, menus, and effects:

Here's the custom HUD, i made timers for each powerup so you can see how long you have left

Posted Image

Posted Image

I wrote my own basic physics so I can have clientside shell casings that don't clog up the server with packets

Client-based shell casings

Some general additions as well like a slowmo powerup where hitscan weapons change to projectiles

Slowmo Effects

The LG shocks and pops enemies now, with charred smoking gibs

Posted Image

View PostNinety-Six, on 04 May 2018 - 03:45 AM, said:

So I learned recently (though fairly late) that E2M6 of Q1 was cut down in release. I'm attempting to insert the map that combines the lost intro and the main level into the main rotation but I have no idea how to do that. I tried putting it into the Id1/maps folder but that doesn't work. I can't even access it with the map command that way. Only if I change the filename, but that doesn't really "replace" the original E2M6.

I'm using Quakespasm for the record.

Anyone know how to do this? I have zero experience in tinkering with the Quake engine or file system.

Just to clarify, you are using compiled BSPs right and not the .map file? They should work as a replacer if you put the BSP in id1/maps with the correct name, depending on the port but QS does support loose map, model, and sound files

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 04 May 2018 - 01:07 PM

• The Truth is in here

True, for Quake it's actually .bsp for maps, got that confused with Duke3D.

View PostBloodshot, on 04 May 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

Just to clarify, you are using compiled BSPs right and not the .map file? They should work as a replacer if you put the BSP in id1/maps with the correct name, depending on the port but QS does support loose map, model, and sound files

The file I downloaded came only with with the .bsp and lighting files. No .map.

User is offline   leilei 

An alternate route is doing it in QuakeC - override the level changing function when E2M5's detected and hijack it to E2M10 (the released portion by romero) or E2m6-full (the old merge attempt). Doing this at least doesn't require modifying game content to play the new map order and will allow all those lits/demos for the original e2m6 to still work. There's also a way to hack it at the engine level.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by leilei: 05 May 2018 - 01:28 AM

I read it was cut due to self-inflicted filesize constraints.

also what is quakec

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 05 May 2018 - 02:54 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Damn, Andrew Hulshult (Brutal Doom, Rise of the Triad 2013, DUSK, Bombshell, Rad Rodgers) made a new soundtrack for Quake Champions. I liked the music that Chris Vrenna did for the game but the more badass metal tunes are a nice fit for QC:

Anyway I had a look at the game after not playing for a few months and even though I feel that the development of this thing is going at a snail's pace at least it's always getting a bit better. Performance is better, the netcode is more stable and overall it's more and more fun.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I grabbed it during the free trial week (which you could still play afterward). I think it's a fantastic game. Are Hulshult's tracks officially in the game now? I was really disappointed with the initial score it came with.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 03 August 2018 - 10:19 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 03 August 2018 - 10:19 AM, said:

Are Hulshult's tracks officially in the game now?

Yes, his soundtrack replaced the previous one. Id Software says Vrenna's tracks will come back too though but they didn't say when and how (guess we'll be able to choose between the two).

The other half of the dynamic soundtrack was uploaded too (these ones are the tunes when you're in the lead so they are a bit heavier):

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 03 August 2018 - 03:19 PM

User is offline   Jim 

new ad map:

http://www.celephais...=61595&start=12

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

The Longest Yard (Q3DM17) is coming to Quake Champions:
https://clips.twitch...yOpossumPrimeMe
I did not play much of Q3 but when I did I played this map. :(

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I'm revisiting Q1's campaign now and that got me thinking: hell, QC would really benefit from a single player campaign like this.

The thing is that Quake's mechanics are so tight and PC-focused that if you combine that with a simple, old school, episodic campaign structure and the option to play the maps with all the different champions it would be an offer that's really hard to refuse for FPS fans. I also really like what they're doing with lore in QC (for example the idea that Ranger got stuck in the "slipgate world" of Quake 1 for 20 years, going a crazier and crazier and forgetting his past life piece by piece is just fascinating) so more written text like those would work very well as flavor text between episodes or at the end of certain levels.

Sure, some of the abilities would need a bit of tuning to really fit a single player mode but man, I would be so down with an old school "quasi-sequel" to Q1.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 18 August 2018 - 07:50 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

This is the first vanity I like in Quake Champions:
https://i.imgur.com/f8MG7pX.jpg

User is offline   Jim 

Shambler's Maps:

http://www.celephais...=61604&start=48

http://www.celephais...d=61620&start=9

http://www.celephais...ad.php?id=61632

User is offline   Jim 

New AD map

http://www.celephais...ad.php?id=61643

Been a while since I posted here, but i posted an update of my Q1 mod

Quake 1.5 media update

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got CTF working with rudimentary bots (supports existing CTF maps), a centered weapons option and created an ingame map loader

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 13 November 2018 - 05:03 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Nice work, man!

3D Realms should get you in on that new Quake engine game they're making. Posted Image

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Bloodshot, I have only one question: WHEN? :rolleyes:

User is offline   VGA 

Oh shit, first time I see this Quake 1.5 mod, hhnnngggg I wanna play it!

Does it have edited single player maps or are they vanilla? I have never finished Quake, the weapons seem boring and the combat is kinda repetitive. But maybe this is the mod that will make me love it!

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

My love for Quake Champions has only grown since the new balance got introduced with the November patch. Weird things can still happen on crazy maps like Awoken though and new players seems to be a bit lost without the damage dealing abilities. I mean look at this (TDM on Awoken + matchmaking put me against players who can't even strafe jump):
Posted Image
Sorry, QC, I'm not this good.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 06 December 2018 - 12:12 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Arcane Dimension Xmas Jam is coming out some time today!

Posted Image

Edit: It's out! The Quake Christmas 1024 Jam is upon us. Twenty-one maps of compressed Arcane Dimensions goodness.

https://twitter.com/...911474631598081

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 09 December 2018 - 05:04 PM

Share this topic:

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options