• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Build engine games general

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNancsi, on 16 September 2018 - 11:53 AM, said:

I still don't know if RRRA level designer Mal Blackwell is the same guy as our mblackwell...

What I'm generally curious about is if any of the original RR / Kingpin / RtCW team is still working at Treyarch (the dev team Xatrix / Gray Matter merged into). When I think about Xatrix or Raven Software nowadays I'm always like "damn, they are slaving away at CoD now" and it'd be interesting to know just how much of that is true.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

So some Build games after Duke (and possibly for Duke but it never got out of beta?) supported glide. What was the extent of its usage? It was never for things like alpha blending right? What's the story there?

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 23 September 2018 - 02:14 PM, said:

So some Build games after Duke (and possibly for Duke but it never got out of beta?) supported glide. What was the extent of its usage? It was never for things like alpha blending right? What's the story there?

Never tried it myself but I remember the 3DFX shots of Shadow Warrior looking similar to Polymost with texture filtering.

User is offline   leilei 

It was hacky. It's really a software renderer with the spans being fed to the 3dfx card instead, so it's even more limited (no voxels supported), not actually faster or even more precise with colors (it still uses palettes and the lookup tables). It's a product of its time (when 2d games and nearest texture sampling was briefly stigmatized by 3d card hype) and should be treated more as a broken curiosity. Given how it works, there's still ugly aliasing everywhere so it's all for nought anyway.

This post has been edited by leilei: 25 September 2018 - 05:46 AM

User is online   Phredreeke 

Wasn't the texture filtering only in one direction as well?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I also recall it having correct perspective, like polymost.

View PostPhredreeke, on 25 September 2018 - 06:01 AM, said:

Wasn't the texture filtering only in one direction as well?

I remember textures looking like they were bi-linear filtered, and down sampled(I haven't looked into SW glide from a tech perspective, just passing on an observation). I always prefered the non-glide version, the textures were way to blurry for me.

• The Sarien Encounter

Was there ever a driver for Duke3D though? Someone I know was asking about it because he thought there was one in beta or something for download but was never finished.

User is offline   SonicB00M 

I guess he meant Blood. That one was officially released but was unfinished

User is offline   leilei 

View PostMicky C, on 25 September 2018 - 06:21 AM, said:

I also recall it having correct perspective, like polymost.

it doesn't.

User is offline   Tekedon 

Not sure where to put this. Just some interesting information. I asked Kevin Kilstrom about the weapons in Blood on Facebook.

"The Tommy gun was an actual Tommy gun!!! Nick Newhard rented that for us from somewhere. It was pretty cool. The pitchfork was also real. I remember trying to get a good polaroid pic of that to scan in. The only weapon that was 3d rendered was the Tesla gun. I'm pretty sure we had a real shotgun and flaregun too. And I think those are Nick's hands holding the spray can and lighter."

User is offline   Dzierzan 

Hmm he didn't mention Voodoo Doll or Life Leech, I guess both are self-made since the Voodoo doll can be actually seen in the picture of him and his wife, it's lying on the shelf.

I also contacted him once using his gmail mail when I was looking for something specific. He told me he wasn't good at saving backups back then, although he does have some old backups.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostDzierzan, on 30 September 2018 - 03:54 AM, said:

Hmm he didn't mention Voodoo Doll or Life Leech, I guess both are self-made since the Voodoo doll can be actually seen in the picture of him and his wife, it's lying on the shelf.

I also contacted him once using his gmail mail when I was looking for something specific. He told me he wasn't good at saving backups back then, although he does have some old backups.

They both very much look photo-sourced to me.

User is offline   Tekedon 

View Postnecroslut, on 30 September 2018 - 10:35 AM, said:

They both very much look photo-sourced to me.

Sorry I did not copy that post. They are hand made models he did. Here is the conversation

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Tekedon: 30 September 2018 - 11:01 AM

After looking into NAM's tileset, I discovered a LOT of tiles have been lifted from other games, mostly Shadow Warrior but also Redneck Rampage and Blood and even Powerslave and TekWar.

Spoiler

Made a few animated GIF to compare

https://imgur.com/a/K4JtR1x

User is offline   NNC 

View PostPhredreeke, on 15 October 2018 - 02:07 PM, said:

After looking into NAM's tileset, I discovered a LOT of tiles have been lifted from other games, mostly Shadow Warrior but also Redneck Rampage and Blood and even Powerslave and TekWar.

Spoiler

Made a few animated GIF to compare

https://imgur.com/a/K4JtR1x

You can only wonder how this can happen to a commercial release.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 16 October 2018 - 11:23 PM

User is offline   Sanek 

Don't forget about all Duke3D textures featured in the game. They don't change these, while they edited tiles from Blood and SW a little bit. I'm positive that 3DRealms gave them permission to use the textures (they can't use the Build engine by bypassing 3DR back in the day), while other tiles is a different story.

View PostNancsi, on 16 October 2018 - 11:23 PM, said:

You can only wonder how this can happen to a commercial release.

Because nobody cares about this tiles and will never care, unless some random wise guy on the net become a stool pigeon.

I deliberately ignored the Duke3D tiles because the game is built upon it + they even keep the same tile number.

I wonder if there are tiles from any other games...

User is offline   NNC 

View PostSanek, on 17 October 2018 - 01:19 AM, said:

Because nobody cares about this tiles and will never care, unless some random wise guy on the net become a stool pigeon.

I'm not talking about the legal part. Ripping off textures and stuff from various games with different art directions to make up your own is the cheapest way possible to create something. It's ok for freeware/fanmade game mods (although I'm not a fan of it), but not for a commercial game.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 17 October 2018 - 05:12 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Unless both took them from some comprehensive library of textures. Or unless they had consent from the other. Ethics-wise, anyway. Lazy-wise, perhaps....but then nothing is original, really. I mean, they are all shooters on the BUILD engine.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 17 October 2018 - 06:44 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Considering NAM was the commercial offshoot of Platoon, i'm not really surprised that happened.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options