Duke4.net Forums: Duke 3D: The Personal Project. - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D: The Personal Project.  "Adding content and improvements, keeping the original game."

User is offline   F!re-Fly 

Good evening everyone !

For several months already, I had the desire to realize my childhood dream. Be able to add in the original game, new textures and especially, new monsters.

Thanks to the precious help of Mark, Trooper Dan, Hendricks and Fox and this despite my insistence and some of my questions a little "simple" I was able to solve most of my coding problems myself. Others are to be corrected and added.

The purpose of this project is for the pleasure of playing Duke Nukem 3D: improve the game without undoing it, make it certainly more fun to play and most importantly, have the possibility of creating maps with new content. This topic will be the real subject for my project and its improvement.

I will soon post a video "demo" based on "ZOO.MAP" and establish lists of improvements and corrections to the CON files. I will start with the list of what has been changed and corrected.

DUKE 3D - FIXED FILES

include GAME.CON
include DEFS.CON
include USER.CON
include DEF FILES

// List of improvements, contributions and changes for the game (first part)

GAME.CON

- "state badguystomphit" code that allows some monsters to overwrite the player who has been shrunk.

- code "deadsprite" the simple corpses of monster can now be destroyed (only by explosions) + size (sizeat 40 40) defines.

- Added "spawn BURNING" (a flame) for the "expander" weapon when an enemy explodes.

- Added additional quotes of "Total Meltdown (PSX)" and "Caribbean" for code "state standard_jibs"

- Added additional quotes of "Caribbean" and unused sound "pissin01.voc" for code "state jib_sounds"

- Addition of the quote "I'm not crying over this" for the supermarket loudspeaker that is destroyed.

- Added the "Scorpion Tank" which has been improved and completed.

- Organtic Code fixed and improved.

- In the code "state femcode" the woman dancer of the Caribbean version has been added.

- Corrections of objects that are supposed to be destroyed (bugs and bad coding).
1. DUKECUTOUT 4352
2. FETUSJIB 1347
3. SPOTLITE 1020
4. FLOATING ROBOT 11 + the sound "buzzer.voc" of the beta version has been added.
5. SUSHIPLATE6 851
7. HYDROPLANT 969
8. ANTENNA 607

and others...

- Corrections of "SPACESHUTTLE" and "SATELLITE" objects they are now floating in space.

- Added LIZTROOPJUSTSIT "useractor enemy" codes that did not exist for the PSX, Carribean and Nuclear Winter versions.

- Octabrain fixed!
1. Added "BLOODPOOL spawn" missing in "hitstate" code for RPG and RADIUSEXPLOSION.
2. Fixed the "OCTABRAINSTAYPUT" animation that was not working. Changed to "useractor enemystayput" with addition of "STOPSOUND OCTA_RECOG" and "EVENT_LOADACTOR" to set the size (sizeat 40 40).
3. Addition of the missing "SQUISHED" sound in "actor OCTABRAIN" for RADIUSEXPLOSION.

- Drone fixed!
Just adding the sound "DRON_DYING" (snakdy.voc) that was missing.

- Newbeast fixed!
1. Added value "clipdist 32" missing in all code.
2. Improvements to the "useractor enemy and stayput" of NEWBEAST, NEWBEASTJUMP and NEWBEASTSTAYPUT. Best presentation, adding size (sizeat 40 40) and the sound of recognition "NEWBEAST_RECOG" which was lost (its added for NEWBEASTJUMP and NEWBEAST).
3. "EVENT_RECOGSOUND" with "set RETURN -1" for recognition sound.
4. "EVENT_LOADACTOR" for the size (sizeat 40 40).

- All Boss fixed!
1. All mini-boss are operational. The mini queen can now be blue in color (spritepal 3), but not necessarily in red (spritepal 21).
2. All "stayput" mini-boss are operational. Some small changes are to be made, like the removal of the "globalsound" sound of recognition only for BOSS2, BOSS3 and BOSS4. The intention of "mini-bossstayput" can be used for a surprise effect (like any "stayput" enemy).
3. Boss can now be overwritten by a sector. The end sequence has also been removed.
4. Added "RPG" sound that had not been set for BOSS3.
5. The carcass of a boss generates a little more guts when it is destroyed (view the size, it makes sense).
6. All bosses will produce a different sound for falls and killing. The sound used is "THUD" and has been replaced by the version "v0.99 Beta" who was a little more "sound heavy"
7. The "normal" boss with "stayput" code animation will not be used, because considered useless.

DEFS.CON / USER.CON / DEF FILES

- Added sounds and textures of the "v0.99 Beta" version for a useful exploitation of the contents.
- Added monsters, sounds and textures of "Total Meltdown (PSX), Out In D.C., Caribbean, World Tour, Nuclear Winter, Xtreme and The Gate.
- Recovery of unused sounds, such as "KICKHEAD.VOC" to fill gaps and for a particular use.
- Added some custom textures (add-ons jackets).
- Added destructible objects with fixed bugs.

Additional content (add-ons) official and unofficial

- Added 6 new monsters of the PSX version, as well as a new boss and variants.
1. Liztroop (PSX / Dark Blue)
2. Pigcop (PSX / Dark Blue)
3. Pig-In-A-Dress
4. Zombie Pigcop
5. Magnum PIG
6. Underwater Drone
7. CyberKeef (boss)

- Added 6 new monsters of the Caribbean version, including variants.
1. Liztroop (with white smocking).
2. Pigcop (with colorful Hawaiian shirt).
3. Octabrain (with sunglasses and red flower necklace).
4. Assault Commander (with dive gear and colorful buoy).
5. Dragon (Inflatable Sea Monster) a Pigcop in a Dragon-headed buoy.
6. Seagull (a seagull).
7. BOSS2 (with a green loincloth and sunglass) (to improve).

- Addition of 2 unpublished monsters of Xtreme
1. King Cobra (to improve)
2. Captain Gorilla (to improve)

- Added 9 new monsters of the Nuclear Winter version, with another boss and other variants.
1. Liztroop (with a Christmas cap)
2. Pigcop (dressed in red with a Christmas cap).
3. Lizman (with reindeer antlers on his head).
4. Groan (blue elf with a shotgun).
5. Grunt (green elf with a UZI).
6. Flying Frosty (an "assault commander" snowman version).
7. Snowman (real snowman).
8. Frosted Battle Mobile (FBM) (a tank driven by a "snowman").
9. Santa Claws (the real Santa Claus as final boss).

// List of improvements, contributions and changes for the game (second part).

Total Meltdown (PSX)

- All the monsters of the PSX version, have their own "SQUISHED" sound which differs slightly from the PC version.

- The Liztroop of the PSX version has become a new and fun variant.
1. The sound of pain is unique. He shouts cries different from the PC version.
2. The sound "LIZARD_BEG" used for the action "TROOPSUFFERING" has been replaced by that of the "v0.99 Beta" version.

- The "freezethrower" "expander" and "shrinker" weapons now work for the Pig-In-A-Dress and Zombie Pigcop.

- Creation of new sounds "ROAM" non-existent for the Zombie Pigcop and the boss CyberKeef. The Zombie Pigcop only had one.

- Improvement of the green tentacle (# tile 3687)
1. It can be destroyed.
2. It leaves a greenish puddle once killed.
3. It emits the sound "SLIM_DYING" but from the PSX version. This sound was different.
4. It generates greenish debris when it is killed.
5. It can hurt Duke nearby.

This is already a nice overview of the changes. I will be doing other lists soon. And most importantly, the video.

See you soon !

User is offline   jet_nick 

it seems very interesting, I'm very interested in the additions of total meltdown, since I wanted to insert the episode in the complete game without removing the episode The birth

This post has been edited by jet_nick: 15 October 2018 - 10:54 PM

View Postjet_nick, on 15 October 2018 - 10:54 PM, said:

it seems very interesting, I'm very interested in the additions of total meltdown, since I wanted to insert the episode in the complete game without removing the episode The birth

Thank you, it's encouraging. I do not have this well. Want to add my content to one of your projects?

The map demo named ZOO2, based on the original ZOO.MAP is almost finished.

Three other fixes added.

- the color palettes are now recognized by "RESPAWN" to reveal monsters with the chosen color.

- Duke can recover from life by eating.

- Quotes from Duke "JIBBED_ACTOR, GETWEAPON and PAIN_LONGTERM" improved and works better with gamevar code.

Hello !

Here is finally the demo.

Good viewing !

:lol:

https://youtu.be/b7VqxSJkzko

User is offline   jet_nick 

View PostFirefly_Trooper, on 08 April 2019 - 05:25 AM, said:

Hello !

Here is finally the demo.

Good viewing !

https://youtu.be/b7VqxSJkzko

There are a downloadable
demo?

View Postjet_nick, on 09 April 2019 - 12:56 AM, said:

There are a downloadable
demo?

Yes, I put most of the files in a folder.

Hello !

Here is my project with all the necessary files. All this work has been done with this stable version of EDuke32:

EDuke32 r6775
Built Mar 16 2018 23:47:21, GCC 7.2.0, 64-bit

If you ever use a newer version (the 4th of April), know that there are 11 tiles that are not recognized for a more or less obvious reason. The size of these images are surely too big? I do not know !

In any case, enjoy this pack and have fun!

Of course do not forget to do tests with your EDuke32 versions and ESPECIALLY, report me problems or bugs. Thank you !

Let's go! :lol:

Removed link as we don't allow distributing the GRP directly with your projects on this forum. - Mblackwell

Please don't include the unaltered Duke 3D GRP in your project downloads.

It should go without saying that that's illegal.

It's really silly to remove the Duke GRP because the ambience of this TC is perfect, especially the Predator who is badass. If I added Duke GRP and Duke Paradise, it's because I already had a pack like the one I did, except that it was already illegal. This pack was made by a certain Fellfrosch for Windows XP.

This is the same illegal pack that I wanted to start coding at the very beginning of my registration of this forum. It goes back very far.

It's a pity that this is considered illegal, while we are on a forum dedicated to Duke 3D in general and for one purpose: to have fun? Unless I'm wrong.

I had said since last year, that this project contained the Duke GRP, and no one told me that it should not exploit its content.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

You can exploit the content of duke3d.grp (the only thing there is a red-line against is directly modifying maps), but you can't include duke3d.grp in your zip. It is assumed that people who play mods will have a copy of duke3d.grp themselves that they will drop in the folder.

This post has been edited by Radar: 10 April 2019 - 07:51 AM

Ok thank you for the precision.

New link without GRP file.

https://we.tl/t-za5bmHFmsG

View PostDoom64hunter, on 10 April 2019 - 04:42 AM, said:

Please don't include the unaltered Duke 3D GRP in your project downloads.

It should go without saying that that's illegal.

I am idiot lol

I confused GRP and BDP.

Nothing to see at all.

User is offline   Mark 

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: shame.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark: 10 April 2019 - 09:11 AM

View PostFirefly_Trooper, on 10 April 2019 - 08:14 AM, said:

New link without GRP file.

https://we.tl/t-za5bmHFmsG

link seems expired. perhaps uploading onto Google Drive perhaps?

Hello ! I was away because of musical project.

Yes, I will send a new link tomorrow the friend.

I will soon resume service to improve this project.

New link! Enjoy!

https://drive.google...ew?usp=drivesdk

View PostFirefly_Trooper, on 05 June 2019 - 12:07 PM, said:

says i need permission from ya. guess i shall wait then

Oops !!!

https://drive.google...ecPMmG7gYB/view

User is online   ck3D 

Haven't said anything in this thread yet, but I really appreciate you making this particular effort to fix specific things that probably should have never needed a fix, had the original game been programmed perfectly in the first place. It sounds like a perfect fix for my Duke OCD and could be very useful to modders who might have mostly mapping knowledge, and could use the existence of such an optimization for the basis of their episode (if they aren't going for a full-on TC and want to keep it traditional Duke style). I'm looking forward to giving this a try.

I have one question though, let's say I'd be looking to use your work for a mod. Wouldn't the release of the subsequent mod be unlawful due to potentially interfering with trademarked designs, I'm specifically thinking about the enemies from the official expansions? I know most people choose not to care and run with releases infringing content from other games all the time, but I'm curious what the actual legal status would be here. I'm sure the code is your own, but would your work on the sprites suffice to count as reinterpretation work? I'm clueless here and really just pondering.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 08 June 2019 - 08:25 AM

Good evening to you friend and thank you for your interest in this project. :D

Know that this project is not finished. However, it works very well to play or to create new maps. Coding to be made and modified is still missing. There is also missing, five last extensions to add:

Duke 3D: Game.com (portage)
Total Meltdown (Sierra add-on)
Duke 64
Duke Nukem Advance
LameDuke.

Indeed, this mod was also designed, to have more fun for mapping and especially a greater opportunity to make really strategic scenarios. Question about illegality, I do not think there is really any concern about that. I think Hendricks or Trooper Dan can confirm my statement.

There is no problem to use this mod for other mod (see TC). However, all the coding done in the GAME.CON file was mostly done by Darkus and I later made some added his own ideas for corrections and improvements in this file. Finally, I also of course bring my own ideas and improvements. I credited in this file the name "Darkus" because it is at the base the creator of a file GAME.CON that it already modified. It seems important to respect the work of others and not to appropriate them as if I were the author of everything.

The only thing that could be really interesting is that each person here presents, can make suggestions and of course warn me for a better file.

Finally, all this work for this mod, is not supposed to be private and glued. Of course I want to share this mod, this work, this time spent on it.

If most of my comments about this mod and its illegal side are to challenge or approve, I invite other members to explain better, so that everything is simple.

If not, good fun to you friend! :)

This post has been edited by Firefly_Trooper: 09 June 2019 - 07:33 AM

User is online   ck3D 

Thanks for clarifying all that. Yes, again I really appreciate your effort at basically cleaning up the game all the while providing a complete library of extra, but canon options for mapping / modding. So I hope there shouldn't be any legal issue with it at any point.

I understand that this is still WIP and salute your will to include even more variations on the enemies, that's some dedication and if well put to use by appreciative mappers, could bring a wave of fresh air to user maps.

The direction of your project sounds exactly like what I would (ideally) have tried to do myself at some point prior to putting together, say, an episode if I learned how to code and more generally, by providing an unbiased 'template of fixes' you'll probably be saving quite a lot of modders' time so they don't have to go and individually fix all the original mistakes most people commonly wish weren't part of the original game in the first place (coding in the enemies, the sound effects actually working like they're supposed to, mini bosses etc.).

I will be giving the current version a try one of these days (right now my time for Duke is limited so that may be in a while), I'll gladly report any problems I see when I do, if any, as long as you're in no rush. And I'll also let you know if I ever consider using your work for something, there's an 'episode' I have in the back of my mind that I've done some small mapping for but of course I (temporarily) ran out of time to work on it as soon as I mentioned it on here.

Best of luck for the rest, keep up the good work!

This post has been edited by ck3D: 10 June 2019 - 02:33 AM

Thank you so much. Your comments are useful to progress.

Important note, the version of Eduke32 that I added in the folder is the version I worked on for a long time. I have not tested the latest versions to check if this does not create a problem.

Try it then, and you will tell me.

Game.con file fix !

Add the lotag respawn codes

CON files fix 1.1

GAME.CON file fix 1.2

- shadow monsters code correction fixed.
- no blood / jibs projection with freezethrower weapon partially fixed.
- hitag / lotag respawn code correction fixed.

This post has been edited by Firefly_Trooper: 18 June 2019 - 05:45 AM

UPDATE !

Liztroop - Demo Project V2.0.

https://drive.google...erOVvgZcTfeTKlM

This post has been edited by Firefly_Trooper: 24 June 2019 - 12:53 AM

User is offline   Marya 

I see you've added the option for bosses to not end the game when the level is over i've seen many usermaps whre i wanted to remain behind to explore and look at the map only to kill the boss and end the map.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options