Duke4.net Forums: Disney Bad Press-Remove Alan Horn - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Disney Bad Press-Remove Alan Horn

User is offline   Toxic34 

If you've been watching what has happened at Disney in the past year, especially the fiasco of firing James Gunn without proper recourse and discussion, there is one person in particular to blame: Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn. His recent string of bad decisions and total CYA attitude are nothing to admire, and he has the potential to lead Disney into a new dark age.

We can help change that: https://www.change.o...orn-from-disney

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I've been swaying back and forth on this, but ultimately I'm more than ok with him axing Gunn and I'm glad he had the balls to do it. There's not much you need to discuss about what he did. And then there's the comparison to Roseanne to consider.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 22 September 2018 - 11:45 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

it's hollywood. racist jokes=bad, child molesting jokes=good

User is offline   HulkNukem 

IMO, it really doesn't matter what my opinion is on the Gunn firing simply because Gunn looked for blood from other people's twitter past and he got the exact same treatment.
You reap what you sow

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 22 September 2018 - 05:41 PM

Normally I believe that people can tweet whatever they want, and the world should just move on. However his pedophile jokes were not acceptable, and Disney definitely needed to get rid of him, simply for that reason alone.

User is offline   Forge 

Posted Image

User is offline   Merlijn 

I don't care what anyone says, firing Gunn over old tweets was stupid. Bad jokes are still just that… bad jokes. And now they've potentially fucked the GOTG series.
And let's not get started on what Disney has been doing with Star Wars. Or them buying out the competion to gain monopoly over the entertainment industry.

So yeah, not particulary happy with them at the moment..

View PostMerlijn, on 23 September 2018 - 12:58 AM, said:

I don't care what anyone says, firing Gunn over old tweets was stupid. Bad jokes are still just that… bad jokes. And now they've potentially fucked the GOTG series.
And let's not get started on what Disney has been doing with Star Wars. Or them buying out the competion to gain monopoly over the entertainment industry.

So yeah, not particulary happy with them at the moment..

I'm curious what your thoughts are on the fact that this is exactly what James Gunn has tried to do to others?
I wish he wasn't fired, but he brought it on himself.

User is offline   Merlijn 

Well there's a reason I don't have a twitter account. :rolleyes:

I get your point, if that's what he did he at least deserved to be called out for it.
It's shitty behavior. But still not a reason to fire him. IMO

• The Sarien Encounter

And what about Roseanne?

User is offline   Forge 

hollywood has set itself up to be the epitome of the left eating everything. Including itself.
a constantly shifting goalpost of what is, and is not, socially acceptable to say.
if they keep rewriting the rules and history, eventually it will be acceptable to burn books - until people forget what books actually are. (competition)

guilty until proven guilty
People's memories are short in this world of instant information feed

This post has been edited by Forge: 23 September 2018 - 08:16 AM

User is offline   Forge 

Posted Image

User is offline   Toxic34 

Many make the mistake of linking Roseanne and Gunn together. Horn did in his decision to fire Gunn. Bob Iger himself even did so in his recent non-statement about it to The Hollywood Reporter. But the cases couldn't be far different. Roseanne has had a reputation of her statements and actions for decades now, especially her rightward turn since the end of the millennium. Disney/ABC, when reviving her show, basically begged and pleaded for her to stop and not ruin a good thing. But she couldn't help herself, and went on making snide comments about everyone, viciously attacking the Stoneman Douglas survivors, and then topping it off with her Valerie Jarrett tweet, and refusing to take responsibility for it. As a result, there was no choice but to let her go, and even then they found a workaround by just having a spinoff show without Roseanne.

Gunn, however, who was known as quite the iconoclast in his films (take Tromeo and Juliet or Slither), was approached by Disney (and Horn, who knew him well), and when vetting him, they came up to him and confronted him over the tweets in question. Gunn immediately owned up to it and apologized, which they were satisfied with. As far as can be told, Gunn has not performed the same behavior since, as the cast and crew of Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2 have vouched for him continuously, especially Dave Bautista and Michael Rooker, the latter of whom has been in many of Gunn's projects. And when these tweets resurfaced, Gunn did not shy away from it, and once again owned up to it, stating "I wouldn't say I'm a better person, but I'm definitely a different person, someone who wouldn't do that now." His behavior in stating about the incident is very much like Dan Harmon's admission in that podcast. And bear in mind that Mike Cernovich and Jack Pobosiec did this tactic before with MSNBC anchor Sam Seder, taking a tweet he made attacking Roman Polanski out of context, making it seem like he was defending him when it was obvious snark. MSNBC fired him, then looked at the incident in question, rehired him and apologized. By all counts, this should've been what Disney did, especially given when Bautista retweeted a video in which Cernovich blatantly admits that he specializes in smear campaigns. If Gunn hadn't actually written the tweets in question, these two would have fabricated something and still attacked him, because their vitriol for anyone that isn't an alt-right MRA shitlord is that despicable.

It is also arguably the same thing at work in the press when James Franco was accused and they moved to knock him out of the running at the Oscars for The Disaster Artist, not only denying him a crowning glory, but Tommy Wiseau as well. These women, who I feel genuinely believe something happened but misinterpreted the situation, are setting the full narrative, but no one was interested in listening to Seth Rogen, Alison Brie, Jonah Hill, Michael Cera et al. defending him and saying "he is in no way a predator." The media went after Franco simply because of his political beliefs and was eager tear him down and call him a hypocrite, while Gary Oldman, a man who strangled his then-wife with a phone, is safe and given Best Actor because of his libertarian beliefs as well as being grandfathered in due to being there far longer.

James Franco's performance as Tommy Wiseau was not Oscar worthy

• The Sarien Encounter

Roseanne was fired for making a racist comment on Twitter.....which wasn't intended as racist at all. It was the hair and facial structure looking similar to the Ape makeup from the movie. She didn't even know she was genetically black. Roseanne is kind of nuts but she should never have been fired for THAT. But people heard "ape" and flipped out.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 23 September 2018 - 11:03 AM

User is offline   Forge 

people aren't allowed to make faux pas mistakes, and no apology will ever be good enough

if you make an exception, then you start admitting there is a thing called free speech.

This post has been edited by Forge: 23 September 2018 - 02:05 PM

User is offline   Hank 

No clue what to believe here, or which side to take.
Disney is huge, I doubt we will ever get to know the real reasons why peeps got fired.

Posted Image

User is offline   Forge 

Posted Image

User is offline   razgriz 

James Gunn is back!!!

My link

Director James Gunn has been rehired to direct Guardians of the Galaxy 3 after he was fired by Disney over decade-old tweets that joked about rape and abuse.

It comes after famous cast members from the Marvel series signed an open letter pleading for Gunn's return.

In a tweet he thanked Disney and his supporters and said he is "excited to continue making films that investigate the ties of love that bind us all".

He was fired last July over the tweets that Disney called "indefensible".

Stars from the first two films in the franchise had openly supported Gunn after his dismissal, including Bradley Cooper, Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Vin Diesel and Dave Bautista.

The Guardians of the Galaxy series has grossed over $1.6bn (£1.2bn) worldwide, with the sequel surpassing the earnings seen by the first film.

Image Copyright @JamesGunn@JAMESGUNN
According to Deadline, the decision was made by Disney executives months ago after he publicly apologised in July and took blame for the incident.

He will reportedly begin production of Guardians of the Galaxy 3 after he completes Suicide Squad 2, which is being produced by Marvel rival DC, Deadline reports.

Could Disney re-hire James Gunn for Guardians?
Before his dismissal, he confirmed that he had written the script for a third Guardians movie.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 05 April 2019 - 09:04 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options