Duke4.net Forums: Alien Armageddon [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Armageddon [RELEASE]  "showcasing sebabdukeboss20 characters with some enhancements"

Some minor things that probably you already know (v 1.02), the last one is something funny :rolleyes: :

https://youtu.be/e6RyHFjo0q0

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

So if I understand you correctly, the glitch that allows you to put down more tripbombs than you have is present in the vanilla game. But in the vanilla game, you can't pick them back up agin, so you can't farm them. Is that correct?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostThe Battlelord, on 04 September 2018 - 01:07 PM, said:

Some minor things that probably you already know (v 1.02), the last one is something funny :rolleyes: :

the bot getting trapped in walls / clipping into the player isn't specific to polymer. Play Duke Burger (duo mode) in polymost. Check the mirror in the bathroom before you shrink yourself.
-i think this has to do with the bot being set as an "enemy" actor, because the "player(?)" actor gets stuck too easy, gets crushed by doors, and dies from falling. A lot.

Shelly can also farm pipebombs if she throws a few down & picks up a some new ones (either placements in a map, or ones thrown by duke) - then retrieves the ones she threw. (think this pipebomb one has been mentioned a few times)

This post has been edited by Forge: 04 September 2018 - 02:31 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Are you sure about shelly's turrets? Try the dropbox link (not the publicly available download). I'm pretty sure I fixed that.

Bots have trouble following the player is due to them having a pretty simplistic following procedure. They will attempt to walk along a trail of invisible "breadcrumb" sprites left by the player. They will try jumping when bumping into something, but otherwise they can be very stubborn about it. In theory, when the player is visible and close by they will disregard the breadcrumbs and just walk straight to the player, but there may be certain additional conditions I'm not remembering at the moment (possibly there is a height difference check).

User is offline   Forge 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 04 September 2018 - 02:39 PM, said:

Are you sure about shelly's turrets? Try the dropbox link (not the publicly available download). I'm pretty sure I fixed that.

shh. people shouldn't know I had anything to do with this project, it'll ruin your reputation as a legitimate modder
I'm only commenting on v1.0.2,. I haven't tried the last couple of updates because reasons, so it probably is fixed.

you also did something to the bot when I told you I could use it as a platform to get to places I shouldn't be getting to early in some maps. not sure if that has anything to do with it, though.

This post has been edited by Forge: 04 September 2018 - 02:53 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 04 September 2018 - 02:48 PM, said:

shh. people shouldn't know I had anything to do with this project, it'll ruin your reputation as a legitimate modder
I'm only commenting on v1.0.2,. I haven't tried the last couple of updates because reasons, so it probably is fixed.

Yeah I fixed a slew of stuff since then. There are other major changes, too.

you also did something to the bot when I told you I could use it as a platform to get to places I shouldn't be getting to early in some maps. not sure if that has anything to do with it, though.

It should be unrelated, but yeah I have the bot momentarily remove its blocking bit when the player is trying to jump on the bot's head (or rather, when the conditions are met which my code interprets as the player trying to jump on the bot's head).

User is offline   Mark 

TD, that last bit of code would have been handy to have in some previous projects I worked on.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 04 September 2018 - 02:01 PM, said:

So if I understand you correctly, the glitch that allows you to put down more tripbombs than you have is present in the vanilla game. But in the vanilla game, you can't pick them back up agin, so you can't farm them. Is that correct?

100% correct.

Ah! That's why is not possible to jump on bot and npc's head. Many old games had that "feature" and were easier with a team mate :rolleyes:

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostThe Battlelord, on 04 September 2018 - 04:38 PM, said:

100% correct.

So what actually needs to be fixed is the bug in the original game. Can you describe the circumstances under which the free tripbombs are planted? That would help me eliminate it. Although there is a case to be made for just leaving it alone, since not many players know about it and don't like using tripbombs anyway.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 04 September 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

So what actually needs to be fixed is the bug in the original game. Can you describe the circumstances under which the free tripbombs are planted? That would help me eliminate it. Although there is a case to be made for just leaving it alone, since not many players know about it and don't like using tripbombs anyway.

Like in the video, and based on the original game(s), you must place them above you (even when crouched), then you can spam them moving the mouse a litle bit on the sides and, due the player is close they cant't be activated.

View PostThe Battlelord, on 27 August 2018 - 11:22 AM, said:

-Talking about underwater stuff: i know that the AI act in a different way in this mod, but i'm used to kill octobrains with 2 shotgun hits and 1 kick, for some reason did not worked there (weird because the shotgun to me looks stonger than usual).

My bad here, only Shelly's shotgun is weaker underwater, for some reason.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostThe Battlelord, on 04 September 2018 - 04:52 PM, said:

My bad here, only Shelly's shotgun is weaker underwater, for some reason.

Shelly's shotgun is weaker everywhere, but it also has a higher rate of fire so the DPS comes out the same. Her shotgun performs better than Duke's for taking out weak enemies, but the tradeoff is you run out of ammo a bit faster.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 04 September 2018 - 05:47 PM, said:

Shelly's shotgun is weaker everywhere, but it also has a higher rate of fire so the DPS comes out the same. Her shotgun performs better than Duke's for taking out weak enemies, but the tradeoff is you run out of ammo a bit faster.

Aw, I was pretty sure, i think i got it now why.
The decapitation effect add some amount of damage (i presume) and then the shotgun can 1 hit kill even pig cops and enforcers (that in the classic way they die with a combo of 1 shotgun and 2 pistol hits), but decapitation can't be applied to octobrains, plus i did not have so much chances to kill enough of them with Shelly (except underwater).
Pardon my stubbornness on this subject :rolleyes:.

User is offline   necroslut 

Great mod, especially with the later levels. :rolleyes: Very professional quality, I would so have paid for this.

Noticed that when finding the Indiana Jones secret (in E3) playing as Bombshell, the line spouted was still Duke's. Also, the E3 ending only played the first line "My name is Duke Nukem", but maybe that was intentional.

There was also an issue where the chainsaw attack animation would only show a single frame, the idle animation played fine though.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postnecroslut, on 08 September 2018 - 08:27 AM, said:

There was also an issue where the chainsaw attack animation would only show a single frame, the idle animation played fine though.

Does that happen for you whenever the chainsaw is used, or was it only a temporary glitch? Also, can you tell me your renderer and vsync settings? The chainsaw hud attack animation is handled differently from typical animations in the code, in order to make it faster than would otherwise be possible. It advances a frame whenever totaltime advances.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 08 September 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

Does that happen for you whenever the chainsaw is used, or was it only a temporary glitch? Also, can you tell me your renderer and vsync settings? The chainsaw hud attack animation is handled differently from typical animations in the code, in order to make it faster than would otherwise be possible. It advances a frame whenever totaltime advances.

It happened only in the secret level, but after I first noticed it it happened consistently until returning to Area 59, after which point it worked as normal. I don't think it was malfunctioning from the get-go, but that it happened some time during the level, but I can't be sure.
Software, Vsync off.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 08 September 2018 - 10:05 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postnecroslut, on 08 September 2018 - 10:04 AM, said:

It happened only in the secret level, but after I first noticed it it happened consistently until returning to Area 59, after which point it worked as normal. I don't think it was malfunctioning from the get-go, but that it happened some time during the level, but I can't be sure.
Software, Vsync off.

Got it. It's fixed now in my local copy. If you want to fix it yourself, you can do so by changing a single character in AAGAME.CON

Find where it says

ifg totalclock prevsawtime

change it to:

ifn totalclock prevsawtime

Just finished level 2 of the Alien Armageddon episode, the one in the flooded city, Hard Rain, I think it's called (after the movie, I'll bet)

Love the Assault Divers (was going to call them Scuba Troopers or Assault Scubas) and being able to replenish your oxygen with the bubbles, nice touch. :rolleyes:

User is offline   Romulus 

First off, this mod, or I should say full Episode is far better than anniversary world tour. I haven't had so much fun playing Duke Nukem 3D in a long while.

Now, on to some nitpicking. I've noticed that some of the textures have wrong aspect ratios, is this an art choice? For example:

Spoiler

Of course, this takes nothing away from this wonderful episode and it's gameplay. Is this a visual art direction/design decision thing?

This post has been edited by Romulus: 08 September 2018 - 01:12 PM

User is offline   John Brown 

I just finished a second playthrough of the new episode (once with 1.01, and just now with 1.02), and I've already been through all of Atomic Edition once, and I would like to say that this mod is pretty great.

I'm even happy that I found all of the secrets in maps 1, 4, and the secret map in E5 without a guide; I do have all the secrets in maps 2 and 3 too, but I watched pagb666's videos after my first playthrough which spoiled the secrets I missed).

Really the only thing I don't like about this mod is that the AI partner feels like its only known tactic is Leeroy Jenkins, but other than that, it's all great stuff. I like the new weapons, the new art is amazing, the new enemies are a nice challenge, and the new episode was a blast (though I was annoyed with the underwater map, it wasn't that bad). I especially enjoyed playing as Bombshell, and as much as I enjoy the current iteration of Shelly in Ion Maiden (way more than the dry, boring version of her in Bombshell the isometric game), I prefer the 90's version with her 90's attitude as seen in AA. I like her actress's one-liners, and bonus points for the attention to detail on having her sit down to pee. The only thing I don't like about playing as her are that the flame rockets seem to set Duke on fire really easily (even when I thought he was out of their splash damage range) but I've learned to just not use rockets in "danger close" situations with the Duke bot, so I can live with it.

At the risk of dragging things farther down the gutter, do you plan to alter the copy machine in E4L5 Pigsty so that Bombshell can... use it?

I have used AA with one usermap so far (Beach CBP) and other than all the enemies on the opposite side of the level firing on me from the start (and a Dukinator shooting through force fields) I had a blast playing it. The added challenge made my... fourth playthrough of that map more exciting and I am looking forward to trying more maps with AA and Bombshell.

Excellent mod, I love it.

User is offline   Merlijn 

View Postdarkprince227, on 08 September 2018 - 12:11 PM, said:

Just finished level 2 of the Alien Armageddon episode, the one in the flooded city, Hard Rain, I think it's called (after the movie, I'll bet)

Love the Assault Divers (was going to call them Scuba Troopers or Assault Scubas) and being able to replenish your oxygen with the bubbles, nice touch. :rolleyes:

You'll love the next map then! :P The title "Hard Rain" is based both on the movie and the Bob Dylan song "A hard rain's a-gonna fall" .
(In fact, I had the idea to have the song playing somewhere in the level, but forgot about it once we approached our deadline :))

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 09 September 2018 - 03:53 AM

View PostMerlijn, on 09 September 2018 - 01:49 AM, said:

You'll love the next map then! :rolleyes: The title "Hard Rain" is based both on the movie and the Bob Dylan song "A hard rain's a-gonna fall" .
(In fact, I had the idea to have the song playing somewhere in the level, but forgot about it once we approached our deadline :))

Yeah, it was great. Even MORE swimming. Like I said earlier, great idea having giant bubbles to replenish your oxygen :P

Couple problems though, when I'm playing as Shelly, everybody still talks to her like she's Duke "hey, glad to see you, Duke"/"I got your autograph tattooed on my arm"

In the Area 59 level, for some reason I keep getting boosted into the air and cannot get down. Also, I can't see myself in any of the mirrors.

This post has been edited by darkprince227: 09 September 2018 - 05:29 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postdarkprince227, on 09 September 2018 - 05:27 AM, said:

In the Area 59 level, for some reason I keep getting boosted into the air and cannot get down.

Are you in god mode? I've seen this happen if the player is in god mode and gets hit by the sniper shots.

The NPCs will eventually have new dialogue in a future update. They were added using voice samples from DNF, before Shelly was added as a character. The mirror thing has also been reported before, it's some kind of renderer bug that we have no control over. If you go to other levels with mirrors they work fine.

User is offline   Jblade 

Maybe the mirror problem is related to mirrors with sectors that overlap over other sectors - I might test this out if I get some time.

User is offline   Shelia 

wow this looks good ,but i have to ask

are the girl players fucked by aliens if they lose all their health or something? If not maybe that should be a feature that's added later or maybe if a girl char is killed by a slimer she becomes a slimebabe until duke rescues her? I dunno, just since you have sebabedukeboss helping i have feeling something like that will end up in the mod.

This is the last edit i'm gonna make but would it be possible to remove the panties from the slimebabes?

This post has been edited by Yoko: 09 September 2018 - 02:53 PM

User is offline   Shelia 

View PostYoko, on 09 September 2018 - 01:57 PM, said:

wow this looks good ,but i have to ask

are the girl players fucked by aliens if they lose all their health or something? If not maybe that should be a feature that's added later or maybe if a girl char is killed by a slimer she becomes a slimebabe until duke rescues her? I dunno, just since you have sebabedukeboss helping i have feeling something like that will end up in the mod.

This is the last edit i'm gonna make but would it be possible to remove the panties from the slimebabes?
(Somebody merge my post please i cannot edit my last)

I know somebody is gonna ask this so I'll try to be the first, nude skin for bombshell?

This post has been edited by Yoko: 09 September 2018 - 03:04 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostYoko, on 09 September 2018 - 01:57 PM, said:

are the girl players fucked by aliens if they lose all their health or something? If not maybe that should be a feature that's added later or maybe if a girl char is killed by a slimer she becomes a slimebabe until duke rescues her?

would it be possible to remove the panties from the slimebabes?

View PostYoko, on 09 September 2018 - 03:04 PM, said:

I know somebody is gonna ask this so I'll try to be the first, nude skin for bombshell?

Everybody's entitled to their own tastes, but I hope that if these fetishes are ever implemented, they will be optional, or as an addon pak.

I personally don't care, but I cannot beta-test that kind of material with my wife or aspy teenage son around. The hooker lifting her skirt was sketchy enough, especially when I wasn't given prior warning about it. Luckily the trains passing in the night didn't happen to be on the same tracks when I first encountered it.

This post has been edited by Forge: 09 September 2018 - 04:07 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostJblade, on 09 September 2018 - 12:17 PM, said:

Maybe the mirror problem is related to mirrors with sectors that overlap over other sectors - I might test this out if I get some time.

I can't say for sure, but if there was any TROR involved then it's possible that might have a negative influence on mirrors.

User is offline   Shelia 

View PostForge, on 09 September 2018 - 04:02 PM, said:

Everybody's entitled to their own tastes, but I hope that if these fetishes are ever implemented, they will be optional, or as an addon pak.

I personally don't care, but I cannot beta-test that kind of material with my wife or aspy teenage son around. The hooker lifting her skirt was sketchy enough, especially when I wasn't given prior warning about it. Luckily the trains passing in the night didn't happen to be on the same tracks when I first encountered it.
It's not like sebabedukeboss hasn't already done this ,but you know there's a parental lock mode that turns off the adult stuff?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 09 September 2018 - 04:02 PM, said:

We should also consider the fact that Duke Nukem is Gearbox IP. The proposed content would be considered extremely misogynistic in some quarters, and could result in AA gaining notoriety. If that got the attention of Gearbox and they reacted in the usual way that corporations do, then we would have to worry about them trying to shut the project down or censor it, which I would like to avoid given all the hard work we are putting into it.

In any case, there's a ton of other things already on the development to-do list.

Share this topic:

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options