Duke4.net Forums: A thing bothering me about Bombshell... - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A thing bothering me about Bombshell...  "...a tinsy-tiny thing"

User is offline   the_raven 

Playing either Bombshell (2016) or Ion Maiden (2018) (don't remember which one), I couldn't help but notice that Bombshell works for the GDF (Global Defense Force), which is an obvious paint-over of the EDF (Earth Defense Force). So I was wondering: Why? I can understand 3D Realms wanting to distance their new products as far as possible from Duke Nukem, since they don't own Duke anymore, but EDF isn't trademarked to the Duke franchise, EDFs are present in other franchises as well (Red Faction, for example, or even the standalone EDF franchise (I think it's Japanese?)), so why bother changing the EDF name and logo?

User is offline   Hank 

... from the Ion Maiden Steam front page

While Shelly “Bombshell” Harrison earned her codename defusing bombs for the Global Defense Force, when evil transhumanist mastermind Dr. Jadus Heskel unleashes the members of his cybernetic cult onto the streets of Neo DC, she knows it’s time to start causing explosions instead of preventing them.

It's the concise story of Shelly.
Duke Nukem - can't help you there, never was a fan of the game, only its TCs.
As for EDF vs GDF, feel free to enhance the story, it's fantasy, and anything goes. Maybe EDF is to GDF, what the Marines is to the Navy :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Hank: 03 September 2018 - 10:41 AM

View PostHank, on 03 September 2018 - 10:35 AM, said:

... from the Ion Maiden Steam front page

While Shelly โ€œBombshellโ€ Harrison earned her codename defusing bombs for the Global Defense Force, when evil transhumanist mastermind Dr. Jadus Heskel unleashes the members of his cybernetic cult onto the streets of Neo DC, she knows itโ€™s time to start causing explosions instead of preventing them.

It's the concise story of Shelly.
Duke Nukem - can't help you there, never was a fan of the game, only its TCs.
As for EDF vs GDF, feel free to enhance the story, it's fantasy, and anything goes. Maybe EDF is to GDF, what the Marines is to the Navy :rolleyes:

Pardon the silly question but what's a TC? (and while you're at it, can you also tell me what an IP means, since I've seen posts about 3DR or Gearbox selling IP, or something)
Thanks for the reply.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

TC (total conversion) is a modification to the game to add additional content and change some behavioral aspects

IP (intellectual property) Duke Nukem, the character, is the ip of gearbox. They own the rights to the usage of the likeness of Duke Nukem.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

The top-down Bombshell game was originally supposed to be Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction, but it turns out they didn't have the rights for that, so they reskinned it.

View PostForge, on 03 September 2018 - 10:52 AM, said:

TC (total conversion) is a modification to the game to add additional content and change some behavioral aspects

IP (intellectual property) Duke Nukem, the character, is the ip of gearbox. They own the rights to the usage of the likeness of Duke Nukem.

Thanks for clearing that up. :rolleyes:

View PostHendricks266, on 03 September 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:

The top-down Bombshell game was originally supposed to be Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction, but it turns out they didn't have the rights for that, so they reskinned it.

Yes, I knew it was supposed to be a Duke game, didn't know what it was supposed to be named though. Interesting.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

It was changed so no one could make a Flat-Earth Defense Force joke

User is offline   leilei 

"Earth Defense Force" is just an uncreatively common name and also was in use prior to Duke3D.

This post has been edited by leilei: 03 September 2018 - 05:30 PM

Globalists inserting their 2ยข

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postleilei, on 03 September 2018 - 05:29 PM, said:

"Earth Defense Force" is just an uncreatively common name and also was in use prior to Duke3D.

Also Godzilla.

I remember an EDF being in Godzilla movies a looong time ago. But in the article I linked it doesn't say what film it first appeared in.

I'm not opposed to a Duke 3D / Godzilla universe crossover. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 03 September 2018 - 06:55 PM
Reason for edit: can't remember dates

Earth Defense Force protects the entire human race, Global Defense Force defends the actual physical planet.

That's my take on it, at least.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Global Defense Force also sounds more like Global Defense Initiative, which makes sense in the context where Shelly has presents for ya!

BTW, I hope we'll get to drive a tank in the full release of Ion Maiden. Or at least a Hummvee.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostCaptain Massive, on 03 September 2018 - 05:32 PM, said:

Globalists inserting their 2ยข

Underrated post

View PostHendricks266, on 03 September 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:

But the EDF was already GDF in Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction. https://static.games...67386-duke1.jpg

View PostAltered Reality, on 27 October 2018 - 05:28 PM, said:

But the EDF was already GDF in Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction. https://static.games...67386-duke1.jpg

Well yeah, but Mass Destruction was cancelled, so it's not canon anymore.

On a side-note, I recently wanted to learn what the story of Quake 3 was, and came across the fact that the GDF is present in the Doom/ Quake shared multiverse. So, either 3DRealms are getting closer with Id Software or Bombshell is an Id spy :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by the_raven: 28 October 2018 - 01:23 AM

View Postthe_raven, on 28 October 2018 - 01:22 AM, said:

Well yeah, but Mass Destruction was cancelled, so it's not canon anymore.

Um, I think OP wanted a Doylist explanation, not a Watsonian one.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostAltered Reality, on 27 October 2018 - 05:28 PM, said:

So it was.

What an odd choice. I wonder why they did that...

User is offline   Forge 

View PostNinety-Six, on 28 October 2018 - 04:36 PM, said:

So it was.

What an odd choice. I wonder why they did that...

The same reason the WWF changed to the WWE.

if you want something that fits into the Duke narrative - only the money countries could fund Duke the first time the aliens arrived and started the war. EDF (the United States put the first person on the moon, despite what Canada would have you believe)
Duke chases the aliens off, Now to prepare for future conflicts every country contributes funds and soldiers. GDF.

somebody earlier mentioned globalism.

This post has been edited by Forge: 28 October 2018 - 06:04 PM

View PostForge, on 28 October 2018 - 06:03 PM, said:

if you want something that fits into the Duke narrative - only the money countries could fund Duke the first time the aliens arrived and started the war. EDF (the United States put the first person on the moon, despite what Canada would have you believe)
Duke chases the aliens off, Now to prepare for future conflicts every country contributes funds and soldiers. GDF.

somebody earlier mentioned globalism.

1) The WWF changed their name to WWE? WTF? :rolleyes:
2) How does 'Earth' represent only money countries or the USA in particular, but 'Global' represents the whole planet? Isn't Earth already about the whole planet?

View PostAltered Reality, on 28 October 2018 - 06:01 AM, said:

Um, I think OP wanted a Doylist explanation, not a Watsonian one.

I'm the OP and I don't follow what you mean by Doylist and Watsonian explanations. :rolleyes:

User is offline   Forge 

View Postthe_raven, on 29 October 2018 - 02:09 AM, said:

1) The WWF changed their name to WWE? WTF? :D
2) How does 'Earth' represent only money countries or the USA in particular, but 'Global' represents the whole planet? Isn't Earth already about the whole planet?

the wrestling organization used to be wwf, now it's wwe. look up why if you want to know.

if the united states put together a series of satellites that would intercept incoming meteors from impacting the planet - it would be called the earth defense shield
if a large number of countries contributed resources and funds - it would be called the global defense shield

that's just the way politicians, military, and people with lots of money in the west, view things (the game was made by people in the west)

View Postthe_raven, on 29 October 2018 - 02:10 AM, said:

I'm the OP and I don't follow what you mean by Doylist and Watsonian explanations. :rolleyes:

real life answer - vs. in-game universe answer

This post has been edited by Forge: 29 October 2018 - 06:25 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I remember when it was WWWF.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostForge, on 28 October 2018 - 06:03 PM, said:

...Because the World Wildlife Foundation got mad?

I don't get it.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 29 October 2018 - 10:48 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options