Duke4.net Forums: vanilla expansion packs - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

vanilla expansion packs

I am trying to get information about vanilla expansion packs.
Wikipedia lists 9 authorized expansion packs for duke nukem 3D, all released in 1997.
What are the files, their file size (in bytes, exactly), in what form they came(number of files and their file types) and related info ?
Eduke32 FAQ has some limited information but I need full information (file sizes for all vanilla expansion packs).

We don't give direct support to find illegal external free download in general until 100% abandonware. If you do not want to run into some fake or malicious files in your private, I suggest to understand which are genuine by yourself. These parameters change depending on the edition in each case. I know you didn't mentioned it explicity but rarely those kind of informations have different purpose.

Once you found what are you looking for, use this patch for Carribean Expansion and this for Duke!Zone

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 04 September 2018 - 01:21 AM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I know that on the "Duke Apocalypse" CD, there were two versions of duke!zon.grp (for Duke!Zone II), one for DN3D 1.3D and Plutonium Pak/Atomic, in these CD subdirs:
- DZ2: 24.92 MB / MD5: C960FE3CC6920369EB43A8B00AC4E4EE
- DZ2PP: 42.06 MB / MD5: 031C271C689DD76F9E40241B10B8EBA9

My (custom) patch will work with both of them. It's nothing fancy, just fixes a few map bugs and inconsistencies plus removes all the needless assets they shamelessly ripped/included from the original duke3d.grp.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 04 September 2018 - 01:50 AM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View Postroboticmehdi, on 04 September 2018 - 12:09 AM, said:

I am trying to get information about vanilla expansion packs.
Wikipedia lists 9 authorized expansion packs for duke nukem 3D, all released in 1997.

I think we can categorise them like this
- Duke it out in DC, Life's a Beach and Nuclear Winter are proper expansions
- Duke!Zone and Duke Assault are to my knowledge just collections of maps from the internet
- Duke!Zone2 and Duke Xtreme are shovelware packs. Just random levels put together without coherency (but AFAIK they were made for respective pack and not just user maps taken from the internet) Duke Xtreme adds some CON modding tools
- Penthouse Paradise was a promotional map which was given away for free. While a better map than what's in DZ2 and Xtreme, calling it an expansion pack is a bit of a stretch
- It's Zero Hour was initially planned as a commercial add-on which was later released for free

What I am looking for is, the list of files and their size (in bytes), for each vanilla expansion pack OR add-on, call it however you like.

for example (files and numbers are wrong, this is just an example): nuclear winter files are nwinter.grp(12,345,678 bytes) and nwinter.con (111,222 bytes)

only limited information is given on eduke32 FAQ: https://wiki.eduke32...Asked_Questions

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostPhredreeke, on 04 September 2018 - 02:41 AM, said:

- Duke!Zone2 and Duke Xtreme are shovelware packs. Just random levels put together without coherency (but AFAIK they were made for respective pack and not just user maps taken from the internet) Duke Xtreme adds some CON modding tools

Xtreme contained about 50% downloaded maps and 50% custom maps.

User is offline   NNC 

I will never understand the real intent behind DukeZone 2 and Xtreme. I mean if they want some cheap cash grab, they should collect all the shit from the internet, and release them as something. If they want to create proper content, they should at least try. Making 3 episodes with crap levels and release them, seriously, what the heck is that? And how 3DRealms greenlighted this? After all their name is tarnished.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 04 September 2018 - 09:39 AM

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostNancsi, on 04 September 2018 - 09:38 AM, said:

I will never understand the real intent behind DukeZone 2 and Xtreme. I mean if they want some cheap cash grab, they should collect all the shit from the internet, and release them as something. If they want to create proper content, they should at least try. Making 3 episodes with crap levels and release them, seriously, what the heck is that? And how 3DRealms greenlighted this? After all their name is tarnished.

Quoting myself from Build Games thread:

The only reason that NW, Duke!Zone I and 2 was released as a commercial products is because Sillysoft had a very good relationships with WizardWorks by the time when Duke3D came out - before that, Sillysoft made frontends and packaging for all these D!Zone for Doom shovelware collections. Duke3D was a popular game, and WizardWorks wanted something Duke-related fast and on budget, and Sillysoft was there to provide it.

Xtreme is a different story. I truly beelive that Xtreme was released in this state because Sunstorm didn't have time to make to do a better job. Thanks to DC and Carribean, we know that Sunstorm can do much better! Besides, Sunstorm was pretty busy with a non-Duke, non-Build stuff so it's understandable when you got multiple projects to get done, and you just can't make every one look like a gem.

However, there's also a possibility that Xtreme's main and only attraction is all these new customisable features, while maps was viewed as something completely secondary.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options