Duke4.net Forums: Alien Armageddon [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Armageddon [RELEASE]  "showcasing sebabdukeboss20 characters with some enhancements"

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostTrooper Dan, on 29 August 2018 - 08:01 PM, said:

I believe this is now "fixed". The player is now force fed a max ammo chainsaw upon returning. If anyone is interested, the underlying issue still baffles me:

Spoiler

so on my system, where it was never broke, it will now be broke?

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 29 August 2018 - 08:08 PM, said:

so on my system, where it was never broke, it will now be broke?

And that's the other thing that's baffling: it doesn't happen consistently. Well, the code I just wrote very explicitly forces the chainsaw onto the returning player, so I don't see how it can fail now.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 29 August 2018 - 08:20 PM, said:

I don't see how it can fail now.

you underestimate the creativity and ingenuity of Duke3D players

Is that different from other pillars left behind by other actors? I think I was just using the default pillar actor to leave behind, which happens to be indestructible. But maybe I'm missing something.

See attachment, I'm talking about these corpses:

Attached Image: duke0027.png

You must have been afk for a while to notice that, it takes quite a while for the rounding errors on the sine function to accumulate to that point :( In any case, I am reducing the amount of error so it will take much longer now.

I was screwing around with the babifier and the eggs in the room above :unsure:
I play games very strangely, usually taking way more time than anyone else. But in doing so I usually find tons of exploits and glitches.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 29 August 2018 - 08:20 PM, said:

And that's the other thing that's baffling: it doesn't happen consistently. Well, the code I just wrote very explicitly forces the chainsaw onto the returning player, so I don't see how it can fail now.

I have a suspicion that "loadmapstate" inteferes with whatever code controls the character swapping. What I consistently experience is that, upon returning, Duke has his normal mighty boot, and Bombshell has the chainsaw sprite that acts like a mighty boot.

I'm not sure how you did that but I just added an extra button press to advance the first screen so hopefully that's not an issue in the future.

All I did was hold the w key. Maybe I also jumped at the same time, not sure.

There's a credit screen in the main menu which credits the big contributors. What we haven't done yet, to our shame, is also have a separate credit file that lists every single person and what they did. EDIT: to clarify, the people not listed on the credits did not actually work on the project as such, but they did make stuff that we used (mostly in the community stockpile)

uh, not sure how I missed that yesterday, was probably too sleepy by playing at 2:00am in the morning. A credits file would be nice though, and also some mentions on ModDB.

User is offline   supergoofy 

Duke Nukem 3D Alien Armageddon 02 Heavy Rain All Secrets by pagb666
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDD8x7T6jAA

User is offline   spacekebab 

I LOVE it! wellll worth the wait.
Just a heads up though - had some issues running this under linux because of case issues. for any linux (or osx?) users,
for i in $(find . -type f -or -type d -name "*[A-Z]*"); do mv "$i" "$(echo $i | tr A-Z a-z)"; done
should clear things up.

Make SURE you're inside the alien_armageddon folder when running it.

This post has been edited by spacekebab: 30 August 2018 - 12:28 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postspacekebab, on 30 August 2018 - 12:26 AM, said:

I LOVE it! wellll worth the wait.
Just a heads up though - had some issues running this under linux because of case issues.

Sorry about the case issues -- I just looked and only found a couple. If you can generate a list I can fix the rest.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostDoom64hunter, on 29 August 2018 - 11:18 PM, said:

All I did was hold the w key. Maybe I also jumped at the same time, not sure.

I also skipped the cutscene on final level with holding the movement key(W/S/A/D) after beat the BOSS first time, I have to reload the save and re-beat it again to see cutscene(when I beat the BOSS again, I let go all my fingers). I guess EDuke32 still considered this as "pressing" so it skips the cutscene. It sometimes happens on some other mods that with cutscene, if I didn't let go my fingers then something just skipped so fast before I can say "oops".

But, I'm not sure if it always happens, I haven't try again after that was happened.

• Duke Plus Developer

Version 1.02 has been released

Most of the mentioned bugs have been fixed, and there have been a few balance tweaks and other small changes. The main download file has been replaced with the new version (there is no separate patch).

Link to download page: https://www.moddb.co...eddon/downloads

Unless a major problem surfaces, this will be the last public update for a long time. The next phase of development will involve overhauling a lot of code, which will take a while. Soon I will start a new thread which talks about some future plans and I will be trying to recruit new mappers to the project. If you are an experienced Duke 3D mapper and would like to contribute, please PM me. It may be less of a commitment than you think.

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing! If anyone would like to make an any % glitchless walkthrough video of the entire AA episode, the first such video of sufficient quality will be linked to the Mod DB page and featured to help players. Ok I said any % but it should show the secret level at least. Please use the latest 1.02 version to make the video, since bugs from previous versions would be evident in the video. If you plan to do this, please send me a PM and then I can announce it is being done.

EDIT additional: It turns out there was a typo in one of the files in the 1.02 upload. I found and fixed it, the current download is corrected. I had put "02damage" instead of "o2damage", which break the drowning health recovery system. Oddly, the compiler allowed this, even though "02damage" is not a variable. Anyway, the download has since been fixed, but if you downloaded in the first 90 minutes or so after this post was first created, then you got the broken one.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 31 August 2018 - 02:29 AM

View PostTrooper Dan, on 30 August 2018 - 02:09 AM, said:

Sorry about the case issues -- I just looked and only found a couple. If you can generate a list I can fix the rest.

I got lazy and just ran a script to make everything lowercase. It was mostly (if not, only) the .ART files but i'll give the untouched version a go and fish 'em out

View PostTrooper Dan, on 30 August 2018 - 11:52 PM, said:

Version 1.02 has been released

Most of the mentioned bugs have been fixed, and there have been a few balance tweaks and other small changes. The main download file has been replaced with the new version (there is no separate patch).

Great! Damn, you guys are so fast, faster than big super-paid companies i say...

Just one question, replacing the "scripts" folder will work fine, ot there is something new that need a new virgin folder installation?

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostThe Battlelord, on 31 August 2018 - 12:24 AM, said:

Just one question, replacing the "scripts" folder will work fine, ot there is something new that need a new virgin folder installation?

There's 3 maps which have also been modified. Also, several non-essential files such as a full credits have been added. It's enough stuff that I just made it a full download instead of a patch, because I didn't want to risk people messing it up.

Just tried playing as Bombshell. First of all, I like her a lot :unsure:

But I noticed a bug, whenever you unlock a door she's always holding the blue access card :(

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.png

• Duke Plus Developer

Yeah I should have changed the pal of the sprite to go with the card being used. I'll make a note of it for the next update, but as I said above don't expect one soon (unless you find something game breaking).

Alright so I've player parts of the new patch and found more bugs. First, some regular problems:

• The Battlelord always shoots his chaingun towards your real position, even when he's distracted with a Holoduke. This results in very confusing situations where he appears to be looking away, but is still hitting you nonetheless.
  • Duke's RPG gains freezing properties once you switch the mode of Bombshell's RPG. However, the freezing only works on yourself.
  • Your partner's health is not reset to 100 if you restart the level after dying.
  • This is probably a limitation of Duke 3D, but if you character swap while the other character is outside the water, the screen retains the blue tint.
  • For some reason the maximum pipebomb ammo count is 48 instead of 50. Not sure if this intentional.

Then there are several issues stemming from the fact that the maximum and current ammo count is multiplied or divided when switching characters:
Spoiler

• Duke Plus Developer

Thank you for the detailed report! I took the liberty of putting the ammo amount exploits under a spoiler tag. I have your entire post copied into my dev notes for a future update. I will probably do as you suggest and increase the ammo amounts used per shot on those weapons. The "regular problems" bugs could easily be fixed (including the tint bug), but since these are minor issues that won't come up very often (with the exception of the battlelord facing one) I will refrain from making another patch in the near future.

Also, I'm happy (and also slightly confused) to report that the buzzsaw carrying over worked this time around without even needing the additional pickup.

I have no clue what the cause could be. Maybe it's something to do with how many times you save and load, since this time I played through it in one go without loading once.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Just dropping by to give my absolute approval to the outcome of this project. I wasn't surprised about the high quality of this one since many masterminds of the community were involved in its creation.

Still, it's amazing how you guys managed to create new art for the game that looks like it came straight from 3DR back in 1996. Respect!

Like many others, I was a bit overwhelmed with the open-world/exploration approach of the first map, but after replaying it and with the patches it got a lot better. That underwater map later on was fun, too!

I didn't encounter any obvious bug while playing, just noticed that NPCs still address you as Duke when you play as Bombshell. But it's barely worth mentioning. The general difficulty seems quite high even on POC, but I got through eventually. I am just sucking at dodging bullets and railgun blasts, I guess. Gratefully, incoming damage was nerfed a bit.

Sadly, I eventually finished the new episode, and tbh I could have played more. I hope this gem inspires mappers to provide DLC material, similar to DNF 2013 maybe. Thank you guys for this wonderful piece of community achievement, it's a milestone and hopefully gets the attention it certainly deserves.

Now I still need to go back and find the secret level...

P.S.: Since the mod alters the config file by adding new keys, maybe it could be considered to save settings in a separate file, e.g. armageddon.cfg or something. This way your stock settings.cfg remains untouched.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 31 August 2018 - 09:48 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDoom64hunter, on 31 August 2018 - 07:46 AM, said:

Also, I'm happy (and also slightly confused) to report that the buzzsaw carrying over worked this time around without even needing the additional pickup.

I have no clue what the cause could be. Maybe it's something to do with how many times you save and load, since this time I played through it in one go without loading once.

Should we be slightly offended that our ability to finally fix that bug is so surprising to you? :( j/k The additional pickup is a way to insure that player has a good stock of ammo.

Spoiler

User is offline   Forge 

View PostNightFright, on 31 August 2018 - 09:43 AM, said:

I didn't encounter any obvious bug while playing, just noticed that NPCs still address you as Duke when you play as Bombshell.

I don't remember them directly addressing Shelly as Duke, all I can recall is them screaming for Duke when the bullets start flying - which is normal, I suppose, since Duke is supposed to be Earth's hero and savior. Kinda like calling for batman in that universe; even if the police are standing right there.

I could have missed a few audio bites though, which wouldn't surprise me.

Yup, they say "Hey you are kinda cute" even to Shelly, useless if they have a different sexual orientation :unsure:..
Minor details, every game has some minor bug or something that can make you smile, perfection does not exist :( .

View PostDoom64hunter, on 31 August 2018 - 06:38 AM, said:

• The Battlelord always shoots his chaingun towards your real position, even when he's distracted with a Holoduke.

Excuse me if I am so clever, i promise i will try to aim someone else from now on Posted Image.

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 31 August 2018 - 05:56 PM

• The Truth is in here

Maybe I am sick in the head, but the way Bombshell said "Fuck yeah" totally turned me on... xD

Who did the Bombshell voice acting?

This post has been edited by NightFright: 01 September 2018 - 02:35 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNightFright, on 01 September 2018 - 02:35 PM, said:

Maybe I am sick in the head, but the way Bombshell said "Fuck yeah" totally turned me on... xD

Who did the Bombshell voice acting?

Some of her lines turned out very well. I especially like "Yeah baby!"

She's a friend of mine who goes by the handle Batsuey (which is her PSN handle as well). You won't find her on these forums, but she can frequently be found doing raids in Destiny 2.

• The Truth is in here

Tell her she did a great job, was a good impression she made. She can be back for more.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostNightFright, on 01 September 2018 - 02:35 PM, said:

"Fuck? yeah!"

• The Truth is in here

Yeah, interpunctuation can be fun. Even though I don't think Bombshell would like to screw the aliens or items she is picking up when she is saying that line... :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 September 2018 - 04:48 AM

so it seems that with the voxels, on software mode. any vents that are flat are standing up for some reason

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMr. Nukem Roses, on 02 September 2018 - 04:58 PM, said:

so it seems that with the voxels, on software mode. any vents that are flat are standing up for some reason

Is this a problem unique to AA?

My first guess would be that in polymost, model rotation is being applied to simulate the wall aligned cstat effect. That can work because voxels are actually converted into models in polymost. But in software, voxels are voxels and model rotation cannot be applied. But that's just a guess, and I know nothing about this other than your report.

EDIT: The solution would be to have a copy of the vent art on a different tile, with appropriate code so that it acts the same. But the other tile would not have a voxel. Then I write some code so that when software renderer is used, the wall-aligned voxel vents are replaced with the non-voxel vents. It's going to be quite a while before I can get to that task, so for now just live with it. Maybe use polymost.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 02 September 2018 - 06:13 PM

View PostMr. Nukem Roses, on 02 September 2018 - 04:58 PM, said:

This worked for me: https://forums.duke4.../page__st__5125
Helixhorned's post

gamevar tmp 0 0
and put this in onevent EVENT_SPAWN

getactor[THISACTOR].cstat tmp
    andvar tmp 48

ifvare tmp 32  // if it's floor-aligned
    {
        getactor[THISACTOR].mdflags tmp
        orvar tmp 1  // SPREXT_NOTMD
        setactor[THISACTOR].mdflags tmp
    }

above switch sprite[].picnum

Worked for me, i don't know about any other consequences

• Duke Plus Developer

Cool, I didn't think that flag worked in the software renderer. It will be an easy fix then.

Share this topic:

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options