Duke4.net Forums: Doom Corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

The joys of cutting levels from console ports of PC games....

This post has been edited by Major Tom: 12 August 2018 - 07:52 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMajor Tom, on 12 August 2018 - 07:51 AM, said:

The joys of cutting levels from console ports of PC games....

As a side note to that: I have no idea how Doom Eternal will manage to maintain 60 fps on consoles, those graphics look insane.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostZaxx, on 12 August 2018 - 06:31 AM, said:

Well, sure, the idea came from Gearbox so Alien World Order wouldn't exist without them but here's that "thing" again: Randy doesn't see that Alien World Order was well-received by fans because it was well designed content and since that's the case he doesn't understand that instead of the "next big thing" a well designed game is all the franchise needs now.

I mean look at Doom 2016's campaign: sure, a lot of the budget went into creating SnapMap and multiplayer but the actual campaign is a no bullshit, back to basics shooter and it feels a lot smaller in scale than the stuff they showed from Doom Eternal. Sure, id Tech 6 looks great and the animations are on top of the industry but those large set pieces other developers spend a lot of money on are nowhere to be found and you don't miss them because the gameplay IS the set piece. That's exactly what Duke needs now: you take some modern tech like UE4, your good level designers make some good maps, you bring back all the classic weapons from Duke 3D and add a bit of new stuff, you drag Jon St. John into the studio to say some oneliners, you hire some talented nobody to do some kickass, no bullshit music (how about this guy?) and then you polish the shit out of what you made, THAT'S IT. But nope, Randy is hunting for a publisher and a new gimmick now because he wants to make it super AAA... how about making a smaller game first and then going AAA if the smaller stuff is successful? "Fuck no, the movie will be a giant success, then we'll find a publisher and it's gonna be AAA!", says Randy... fail and fail again to fail more!

Hell, if RAGE 2 (I may be wrong here but "sleeper hit" is written all over that game) scratches the same itch Borderlands 3 wants to itch and BL3 will be just another unimpressive, badly designed Gearbox game with a gimmick then these guys are going bankrupt really fast.

Alright that's fair enough. In the end it still goes back to him being kinda dumb. (Though that being said, Randy probably sees AWO as a failure because the rest of the package was a commercial failure, IIRC, mostly because of the "Everything else about that version that went wrong" I mentioned earlier. But at least critically the new episode and music, while not being a perfect 10, was still well-received. But once he gets something in his head he tends to begin ignoring facts. See that whole Aliens:CI typo debacle. I genuinely believe him when he says he thinks it's a great game and that the AI is perfectly fine. I believe him because I'm pretty sure he doesn't actually look at the games before they go gold (or anyone at GBX), and that's how we get broken AI or WTFevenwas20thssoundqualityatlaunch.)

But now I'm getting really off-topic so I'll stop here.

View PostZaxx, on 12 August 2018 - 08:07 AM, said:

As a side note to that: I have no idea how Doom Eternal will manage to maintain 60 fps on consoles, those graphics look insane.

I hope it doesn't require like the PS4 Pro or the S or whatever. My PC isn't strong enough to handle this game and I'm not exactly swimming in money to upgrade my PS4.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 12 August 2018 - 09:58 AM

View PostPlayer Lin, on 11 August 2018 - 09:38 PM, said:

without any of modding shit like their Opposing Force

This is only true for the Steam version of Blue Shift, and Gearbox had nothing to do with the Steam release. That was entirely Valve.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Blue-Shift was a standalone release in its own package back in the day before Steam too, though. Half-Life wasn't required to play it. It also came with Opposing Force IIRC. I don't think it supported mods either...could be wrong. I don't remember right now.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 12 August 2018 - 01:38 PM

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostMarphy Black, on 12 August 2018 - 10:20 AM, said:

This is only true for the Steam version of Blue Shift, and Gearbox had nothing to do with the Steam release. That was entirely Valve.

I mean Standalone version, it unmoddable too.
(I did found a copy of standalone version before I got my Steam copy, and I'm sure it has no modding feature, and not sure if there was had "unlock" mod for standalone version)

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 12 August 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

Blue-Shift was a standalone release in its own package back in the day before Steam too, though. Half-Life wasn't required to play it. It also came with Opposing Force IIRC. I don't think it supported mods either...could be wrong. I don't remember right now.

Yes, BS doesn't needed HL, like CS and OF(well, not really sure about OF standalone version), but BS don't had mod option like CS/OF.

• The Sarien Encounter

OF didn't have a standalone version. But it did come with Blue-Shift. IIRC, if you DID have Half-Life you could choose to install it as a mod in Half-Life instead of with Blue-Shift. Memory is getting fuzzy about that stuff now though.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

So what's the story about Doom Eternal triggering sjw's?

User is offline   Phredreeke 

There's a voice in the trailer saying "Remember Demon can be an offensive term. Please refer to them as mortally challenged"

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostPhredreeke, on 13 August 2018 - 11:48 AM, said:

There's a voice in the trailer saying "Remember Demon can be an offensive term. Please refer to them as mortally challenged"

And just like in the case of Wolfenstein TNC, people can't take a fucking joke...

View PostZaxx, on 12 August 2018 - 06:31 AM, said:

no bullshit music (how about this guy?)

Look here, he's already prepared!

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNever Forgotten, on 13 August 2018 - 01:53 PM, said:

Look here, he's already prepared!

Yeah, I know that track but it's just a Grabbag cover and not an original composition so it doesn't really show anything.

And I really wasn't joking, listen to his Quake stuff for example:

He is a bit more "melodic" than Andrew Hulshult, more old school than Mick Gordon and even though he's fairly new and still has a bit to grow I think his style is perfect for Duke (a bit similar to Lee Jackson's style if I may say, just more modern). If I'd enter a strip club and SHUB was playing I wouldn't complain, I'd just buy the shit out of the soundtrack. :(

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 13 August 2018 - 02:11 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostPhredreeke, on 13 August 2018 - 11:48 AM, said:

That's it?
Some people in their little teenie-tinies correlate that with degrading illegal immigrants?

Labeling like that has been a thing since the 80s/90s (e.g. short people are vertically challenged). It was kind of a spoof in response to groups like the naacp that insisted people be forced to stop calling blacks black, and use african-american instead.
This is just proof that people have it too easy these days if they have time to get butt-hurt over such stupid things.

This post has been edited by Forge: 13 August 2018 - 03:31 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

They're upset because they see the whole premise of the game as an anti-immigration message and the jokes of the announcer "problematic".

There was another line that said "Earth is the melting pot of the universe" which I thought worked on many levels of comedy.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 13 August 2018 - 08:07 PM

User is offline   ---- 

I just googled some news for DooM and "mortally challanged", as I wasn't aware that people got offended.

I like it best that some people aren't offended because they see it it as anti immigration-message, but a message against SJWs.

User is offline   Sanek 

Posted Image

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I had a feeling it would spark yet another round of fake outrage.

Here's to hoping id holds their ground.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostNinety-Six, on 14 August 2018 - 09:56 AM, said:

Here's to hoping id holds their ground.

Here's to hoping id doubles-down and adds in more snowflake melting material.

For ONCE, I didn't have to change the freaking thumbnail after uploading the video!

User is offline   leilei 

There wasn't real outrage because Doom2016 was anti-corporate and the sequel carries this vein. You're supposed to loath UAC.

• The Sarien Encounter

Yes, but intelligence isn't much of a strong suit in a lot of these people. They just see it as in very poor taste.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I need this:

Played the demo around 6 months ago and loved it, hope the full release is not that far away. It's amazing what he did with the level design of the first episode, it's basically a "retro remaster" of the original game.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 24 August 2018 - 10:52 PM

Hell awaits.....

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 20 August 2018 - 04:11 PM, said:

Yes, but intelligence isn't much of a strong suit in a lot of these people. They just see it as in very poor taste.

Imagine that. A game where corpses are impaled on pikes, surrounded by pentagrams, while a grunting silent musclebound protagonist shoots plasma balls into the mouth of the Devil himself all while set to heavy rock soundtrack is a game with poor taste.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostJimmy 4k, on 26 August 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

Imagine that. A game where corpses are impaled on pikes, surrounded by pentagrams, while a grunting silent musclebound protagonist shoots plasma balls into the mouth of the Devil himself all while set to heavy rock soundtrack is a game with poor taste.

That's BS, Doom is not a game of poor taste, that's just a bad argument people who don't like its style like to come up with when bashing the franchise. You know what shows poor taste? Stuff like Postal 2, Grezzo 2 and other "edgelord" games or mods but even those are things you can enjoy if you just go for the ride instead of looking for every single thing you consider tasteless.

On the other hand I find this stuff, this fake outrage problematic because outrage always generates more outrage. Some idiots got offended by a joke in Doom Eternal? Well get ready for people getting offended by other people getting offended as the cycle continues and grows to the point where the only thing you'll hear about the game is this fucking shit. Some fucks rage on Twitter ---> some idiots screencap the Twitter rage because that's the best they can do with their free time ---> said idiots post that on sites like KotakuInAction ---> the edgelords on KIA get offended ---> the Twitter idiots get offended because the edgelords over at KIA said some fucked up shit as they always do ---> some mainstream media outlet gets contacted by said Twitter idiots ---> an article pops up about neonazis loving the shit out of Doom ---> that gets posted on KIA ---> so they rage more ---> Hell on Earth, literally... until the next Star Wars movie comes out at least.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 26 August 2018 - 08:20 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostJimmy 4k, on 26 August 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

Are you kidding? They worship hell. They might as well BE the UAC. Which makes the whole thing even funnier.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 26 August 2018 - 09:28 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostZaxx, on 26 August 2018 - 08:17 PM, said:

That's BS, Doom is not a game of poor taste, that's just a bad argument people who don't like its style like to come up with when bashing the franchise. You know what shows poor taste? Stuff like Postal 2, Grezzo 2 and other "edgelord" games or mods but even those are things you can enjoy if you just go for the ride instead of looking for every single thing you consider tasteless.

You have autism, m8. "Poor taste" is not a negative. It's a positive. It means you're transgressive to what society expects. Wanna know some other great things in poor taste? Fight Club, the Dead Boys, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, America Must Be Destroyed, Duke Nukem 3D, the Evil Dead. The fact that you think somehow Doom is in a different category to Postal 2 to the average rube.... Man, you just don't know what you're talking about. With those games, you're just trading pentagrams for piss and demons for dildos. It's still just as offensive to the average retard out there.

This post has been edited by Jimmy 4k: 26 August 2018 - 09:37 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostJimmy 4k, on 26 August 2018 - 09:36 PM, said:

You have autism, m8. "Poor taste" is not a negative. It's a positive. It means you're transgressive to what society expects.

Nope, that's what "edgelords" like to say to show how different they are from the rest. :( That's why I love rockers who dress in all black too: they'd like to shout "look, I'm different!" at you but you're just like "but dude, you all look the fucking same, even a normie is unique compared to you".

Here's the hard truth: Doom is a mainstream commercial product and since the mainstream accepted it with open arms that means that it's part of the overall pop culture. It's an entertainment product you consume, nothing else, there is no unique identity that comes with it other than what the product itself contains. The same goes for every element of it: metal music, demons / satanism, plasma guns etc. Fuck, demons are old news since The Exorcist. :unsure: You know who's offended by this in the real world? Absolutely nobody, what you see is just a few idiots from some miserable social echo chamber... meaning they are not part of the mainstream Doom is very much a part of. The 90s where the PC FPS was this small, niche thing compared to the overall media is long over, dude.

Stuff like Postal 2 on the other hand are on the fringe of the media spectrum because they go further than Duke or Doom does to the point where it becomes "pop culturally unacceptable". But then again GTA is part of the pop culture now so who knows, maybe Postal is not that much out there anymore.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 26 August 2018 - 10:52 PM

Clearly, Super 3D Noah's Ark is the edgiest game of them all for being the only one that's truly different from the rest and transcending societal expectations in a FPS.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostPikaCommando, on 26 August 2018 - 11:43 PM, said:

Clearly, Super 3D Noah's Ark is the edgiest game of them all for being the only one that's truly different from the rest and transcending societal expectations in a FPS.

Now I'll have to find a mod for Super 3D Noah's Ark that nobody plays so I could say how awesome and unique it is... just as awesome and unique as I am for liking it! Afterwards I'll post a comment on how shit Brutal Doom is so I could be eligible for the Edgelord of the Year Award. :(

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 26 August 2018 - 11:48 PM

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options