Duke4.net Forums: Doom Corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

You'll probably want to turn the volume down at the 58-second mark....unless, of course, you want the full Glitch Hell experience :(

User is offline   Cage 

New video clip of Plasma Blaster, showing off both regular and alternate fire!

Posted Image
(Video Clip 720p)

If you want to help this project, please ReTweet:
https://twitter.com/...795298914967552
Thank you!

If the thumbnail is the one of an Imp snarling as the DoomSlayer misses with the shotgun, I tried to change it at least five times over the past three minutes.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

OH MY GOD, Doom Eternal looks amazing!

I was skeptical and pessimistic about it, but Doom Eternal blew my fucking mind and then some. Hell on Earth seems to be executed beautifully and although I'm against more space bases, the Phobos part is so goddamn amazing that I can't complain.

Serious Sam 4 stands no chance, man.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

DAMN.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

"Remember, 'demon' can be an offensive term. Refer to them as 'mortally challenged.'"

"Earth is the melting pot of the universe."

LOL

Also LOVE taking the idea that Perfect Dark posited on the N64 with players being able to play as enemies and running with it.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 10 August 2018 - 11:33 AM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Eternal looks about as awesome as I was expecting. I like how during the second bit of gameplay footage we saw the Slayer spend more time in the air than on the ground. Like Mario on steroids.

I could say a lot more about the event, but really, most of it would be "holy crap that was awesome" or "wow that looks cool."

I will say I liked how utterly terrified of the Slayer the UAC personnel were at the start of the Phobos section. That was neat.

Also maybe I'm wrong but from all the footage it looks like they might have either done away with or significantly reduced the amount of arena lock-ins that were everywhere in 4. Not that I minded them but I know some people didn't care for that aspect too much. So if that's correct then they should be happy.

• The Sarien Encounter

I love how the intercom announcements inform about threat levels of the slayer rather than the demons. XD

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 10 August 2018 - 11:42 AM, said:

I love how the intercom announcements inform about threat levels of the slayer rather than the demons. XD

Me too. Though it makes me wonder what the story is now. Remnants of Olivia's cult, maybe? Hayden finally lost his mind? Or is this a prequel since the Slayer has the Crucible?

• The Sarien Encounter

Nah it's not a prequel. I think Dr. Hayden has given him the Crucible at this point.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

I hope Eternal releases next year. It looks absolutely stunning! :(

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Btw. I love the fact that when I watched today's Doom videos I saw a random comment saying "Fuck, this could have been Duke Nukem. Fuck Gearbox!" Well, fuck Gearbox indeed. :(

I have to say some of the Earth environments do have a Duke 3D vibe to them though. For example that building block with the blue Mixom logo looks like something straight out of Hollywood Holocaust.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 10 August 2018 - 02:09 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

id's ditching Snapmap for Eternal, but will release singleplayer DLC this time round. They're also internally developing a PVP mode.

“Right now we don’t plan on bringing SnapMap back into Doom Eternal,” director Marty Stratton says in a Q&A roundtable. “We’re really focusing those resources on doing some of the things that players wanted more from us post-launch.”

For many players, that was additional campaign content, and Stratton says that’s a big focus this time around. “One of the big criticisms – and even if I could go back and do it again – I think we’d do campaign DLC after launch. People really wanted that. They wanted stuff created by us. SnapMap was really cool. I loved it. But it didn’t really scratch that itch for people. But we know we can.”

https://www.pcgamesn...al-dlc?tw=PCGN1

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 10 August 2018 - 02:13 PM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Well, finally they get it. Hell, I would still reinstall Doom 2016 if they released an official SP DLC for it.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I was grinning from ear to ear during the presentation. This is going to be a ridiculous amount of fun.

Oh, as to Gearbox and Duke... Do you actually think that they could deliver something like this?

On that note, does this design remind you of anything similar in a Duke title?
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 10 August 2018 - 02:49 PM

• The Truth is in here

I was just waiting for the Slayer to shoot this with the rocket launcher or drop a pipebomb...

Btw I also approve the shoulder-mounted flamethrower. Guess it will come with restrictions similar to the chainsaw im D2016, but it looks like fun.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 10 August 2018 - 02:57 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

The verticality shown off is awesome

User is offline   Malgon 

I've only watched the first 7 minutes of the gameplay (stopped right at the M+K gameplay) and I'm sold on it. Had a lot of fun with Doom 2016 and this looks like that amped up to the next level. It looks like they showed a fair amount of footage and released heaps of info, so I'm probably going to hold off checking it all out so I can leave some stuff to be surprised with. Quick question though, did they mention a release date at all for this?

User is offline   HulkNukem 

No release date

They've said there will be an actual PVP mode that id Software themselves are making.
This is not the same PVP mode they showed at the end of the second gameplay video.
There will also not be Snapmap

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 10 August 2018 - 07:39 PM

User is offline   Player Lin 

If I still can't do manual saving my progress this time, I may still skipped...even I do want to play this awesomeness... :(

• The Truth is in here

You really don't need manual saves in these. It's only annoying if you die during the multi-stage boss fights, especially towards the end. However, it's learning by doing and even I got used to it. And I am not known as a checkpoint supporter.

View PostNightFright, on 10 August 2018 - 09:26 PM, said:

You really don't need manual saves in these. It's only annoying if you die during the multi-stage boss fights, especially towards the end. However, it's learning by doing and even I got used to it. And I am not known as a checkpoint supporter.

The biggest reason I give up(and never finished) on my DooM 2016 run was because fall to dead when try to collecting collectable shit, or even I collected them but get killed before checkpoint...and have to re-do that again is not fun at all. I'm not sure it's bug or something, DooM 2016 never saved my progress when I got collectable things, if died before checkpoint, my collected collectable thing will gone.

About bad-timing of saving, I always know that(I do save-spam/abuse in Serious Sam series, DooM, Duke Nukem 3D etc., so I know it's risky when saving time is bad), so I would do multiple saves (unless only a few slots), then I won't lose too much.

Manual saving is a tool, but if you don't know what you are doing with the tool then, feel annoying? You deserved it. :(

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 11 August 2018 - 12:33 AM

I will concede that much. Having to re-grab the secrets and stuff and get to a checkpoint before it saved was a bit annoying. I mean I can understand why they wouldn't want you starting from the checkpoint with the extra armor and ammo, but for the collectibles and such it would have been nice if those stayed marked.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostTea Monster, on 10 August 2018 - 02:48 PM, said:

Oh, as to Gearbox and Duke... Do you actually think that they could deliver something like this?

Well of course not. :( Gearbox got lucky because Borderlands became successful somehow but they don't really understand how to make FPS mechanics that "feel tight". They are hacks and it's really funny to me that when Pitchford was asked about Doom 2016 his answer came off as some guy fresh out of marketing school trying to analize stuff but missing the point entirely. He was like "yeah, Duke would need something fresh that gets the consumer, that's what id Software tried with SnapMap for Doom 2016 but it didn't work out." Well guess what, that's the point exactly: SnapMap didn't really work out yet the game was successful as fuck not because it "had something fresh that got the consumer", but because it was fucking GOOD. Gearbox on the other hand must be like "fuck, we desperately need to find some new gimmick for Duke like the randomly generated weapons in Borderlands because we sure as shit can't make anything good". I know that there are a few people around here who kinda respect Randy for whatever reason but really, just look into your hearts and you'll see the hack snake oil salesman. :unsure:

I don't think the "this could have been Duke Nukem" comment comes from GBX not working on a new Duke game, it's more about Gearbox owning the IP so other, better developers can't do shit with it.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 11 August 2018 - 02:43 PM

View PostZaxx, on 11 August 2018 - 02:33 PM, said:

Well of course not. :( Gearbox got lucky because Borderlands became successful somehow but they don't really understand how to make FPS mechanics that "feel tight". They are hacks and it's really funny to me that when Pitchford was asked about Doom 2016 his answer came off as some guy fresh out of marketing school trying to analize stuff but missing the point entirely. He was like "yeah, Duke would need something fresh that gets the consumer, that's what id Software tried with SnapMap for Doom 2016 but it didn't work out." Well guess what, that's the point exactly: SnapMap didn't really work out yet the game was successful as fuck not because it "had something fresh that got the consumer", but because it was fucking GOOD. Gearbox on the other hand must be like "fuck, we desperately need to find some new gimmick for Duke like the randomly generated weapons in Borderlands because we sure as shit can't make anything good". I know that there are a few people around here who kinda respect Randy for whatever reason but really, just look into your hearts and you'll see the hack snake oil salesman. :unsure:

I don't think the "this could have been Duke Nukem" comment comes from GBX not working on a new Duke game, it's more about Gearbox owning the IP so other, better developers can't do shit with it.

At the risk of derailing the thread, they do have the Half-Life expansions to be credited for. Those were pretty good, even Blue Shift (at least in my opinion). Alien World Order was also a pretty good episode, it's just mostly everything else surrounding it and the 20th anniversary version itself that went wrong.

My take on Randy has more or less been that he's not malicious. Just kinda dumb.

View PostNinety-Six, on 11 August 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

At the risk of derailing the thread, they do have the Half-Life expansions to be credited for. Those were pretty good, even Blue Shift (at least in my opinion). Alien World Order was also a pretty good episode, it's just mostly everything else surrounding it and the 20th anniversary version itself that went wrong.

My take on Randy has more or less been that he's not malicious. Just kinda dumb.

The HL expansions just the early Gearbox was that good.
BS just rushed works since it was aimed on console but then canceled, then port back to PC without any of modding shit like their Opposing Force but it doesn't matter as still someone made a "unlocked" mod for BS but well, no one actually really want to mod BS...

AWO is good, but except a lot of "never fixed" bugs and laziness on new weapons/enemies/final boss, it does affects my opinion on their careness about the Duke itself and fans.

I think the Shovelware needed a lot of works if they still want to make new Duke games, but I don't hold my breath unless it actually happens like Half-Life 3, when they finally made a Duke game like DooM 2016 or Eternal. :(

Until that, no... I don't care on all Randy's full of talking shit.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 11 August 2018 - 09:46 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNinety-Six, on 11 August 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

Opposing Force uses mechanics Valve designed for HL, you can't really mess that up. As for everything else I really like OpFor but you have to admit that Race X was stupid as fuck and did not fit the HL setting at all.

Alien World Order wasn't really developed by Gearbox but sure, I give credit where credit is due: Randy designed a good level for that game.

As for being malicious: of course not, "kinda dumb" is pretty fitting thought.

View PostZaxx, on 11 August 2018 - 09:52 PM, said:

Opposing Force uses mechanics Valve designed for HL, you can't really mess that up. As for everything else I really like OpFor but you have to admit that Race X was stupid as fuck and did not fit the HL setting at all.

Alien World Order wasn't really developed by Gearbox but sure, I give credit where credit is due: Randy designed a good level for that game.

True, but at least Race X played pretty well, and all the new weapons were pretty good and fairly inventive. Plus, while Race X may have been a bit strange, Gearbox was also responsible for the Black Ops/HECU split, which is still widely accepted today.

And I'm aware they didn't directly develop the episode, but correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't it Gearbox's idea to bring back Blum and Levelord? And Nerve was left mostly to do the technical side?

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNinety-Six, on 11 August 2018 - 11:55 PM, said:

True, but at least Race X played pretty well, and all the new weapons were pretty good and fairly inventive. Plus, while Race X may have been a bit strange, Gearbox was also responsible for the Black Ops/HECU split, which is still widely accepted today.

And I'm aware they didn't directly develop the episode, but correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't it Gearbox's idea to bring back Blum and Levelord? And Nerve was left mostly to do the technical side?

Well, sure, the idea came from Gearbox so Alien World Order wouldn't exist without them but here's that "thing" again: Randy doesn't see that Alien World Order was well-received by fans because it was well designed content and since that's the case he doesn't understand that instead of the "next big thing" a well designed game is all the franchise needs now.

I mean look at Doom 2016's campaign: sure, a lot of the budget went into creating SnapMap and multiplayer but the actual campaign is a no bullshit, back to basics shooter and it feels a lot smaller in scale than the stuff they showed from Doom Eternal. Sure, id Tech 6 looks great and the animations are on top of the industry but those large set pieces other developers spend a lot of money on are nowhere to be found and you don't miss them because the gameplay IS the set piece. That's exactly what Duke needs now: you take some modern tech like UE4, your good level designers make some good maps, you bring back all the classic weapons from Duke 3D and add a bit of new stuff, you drag Jon St. John into the studio to say some oneliners, you hire some talented nobody to do some kickass, no bullshit music (how about this guy?) and then you polish the shit out of what you made, THAT'S IT. But nope, Randy is hunting for a publisher and a new gimmick now because he wants to make it super AAA... how about making a smaller game first and then going AAA if the smaller stuff is successful? "Fuck no, the movie will be a giant success, then we'll find a publisher and it's gonna be AAA!", says Randy... fail and fail again to fail more!

Hell, if RAGE 2 (I may be wrong here but "sleeper hit" is written all over that game) scratches the same itch Borderlands 3 wants to itch and BL3 will be just another unimpressive, badly designed Gearbox game with a gimmick then these guys are going bankrupt really fast.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 12 August 2018 - 06:56 AM

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options