Duke4.net Forums: The story of Blood - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The story of Blood  "And I don't mean the narrative"

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

So something I've always been confused about is where exactly this game came from. Research I've done on my own has just kinda left me with more questions than answers. So I'd figured I'd ask around here to see if anyone can fully set the record straight.

Where was the idea for Blood conceptualized? What is Q Studios? What's their relation to 3DRealms? What does "funded by" mean, especially if they were supposed to be independent? Why did 3DR have the rights to sell the IP? If it was being developed by someone else, why was it necessary for 3DR to sell the rights? What happened to Q Studios and the actual Blood development team when it went to Monolith? How complete was the game when it was sold? What did Monolith actually do? Why is the game in copyright limbo? What's the difference between publishing rights and IP ownership?

I don't expect all of these questions to be answered, but if anyone knows any detail about what exactly happened, where this game came from and where it went, I'd be really interested to know.

Don't be surprised if I have more questions. This has confused me for years despite it being relatively unimportant.

User is offline   KareBear 

https://blood-wiki.o...opment_of_Blood

Read this.

View PostKareBear, on 23 July 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

Huh. I had no idea this site was a thing. Somehow.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNinety-Six, on 23 July 2018 - 08:38 PM, said:

Huh. I had no idea this site was a thing. Somehow.

Everything has a wiki now. Literally.

View PostZaxx, on 23 July 2018 - 11:49 PM, said:

Everything has a wiki now. Literally.

I forget this at times.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostKareBear, on 23 July 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

That's an excellent article based on extensive research, I wish more like this were available for various games. In fact, any good game deserves such in-depth coverage of its development.

View PostMrFlibble, on 27 July 2018 - 12:12 PM, said:

That's an excellent article based on extensive research, I wish more like this were available for various games. In fact, any good game deserves such in-depth coverage of its development.

I'm actually fairly impressed with the wiki's overall quality. It puts the Duke wiki to shame, and it's amazingly comprehensive for a very under-the-radar game series with only one entry plus an unfinished release nobody talks about much.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostNinety-Six, on 27 July 2018 - 05:22 PM, said:

it's amazingly comprehensive for a very under-the-radar game series with only one entry plus an unfinished release nobody talks about much.

Actually I suspect that this might be exactly the reason why so much effort is put into this, with a close-knit community intensely focused on the game they love. Or maybe they just were lucky to have a person (or people) with an inclination towards such kind of in-depth research.

View PostMrFlibble, on 28 July 2018 - 01:52 AM, said:

with a close-knit community intensely focused on the game they love.

After browsing a few of the articles this is sort of the vibe I got. I mean they even have some minor articles on cosplayers. Cosplaying is already niche as it is, and it's cosplayers for a game barely anybody remembers in the modern day.

Maybe I'm wrong and Blood is just a bizarrely popular cosplay source, but I feel like if you're going to write articles, even short ones, on cosplayers in the community...that just kinda screams "close, tight-knit community" to me. Small enough for them to be notable, yet cared about enough to put it on the wiki.

Not knocking it of course. Seems like a nice group, honestly. I wonder where they hang out?

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 28 July 2018 - 02:30 AM

User is offline   daMann 

I don't know any cosplayers but the majority of us "hang out" in the Blood discord though several also post in the Blood GDX forum right here on Duke4...

That's about it anymore, really.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options