• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dusk  "New 90s inspired shooter"

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMicky C, on 14 August 2017 - 04:27 AM, said:

90 minutes to finish? A bit short...

I wonder how Ion Maiden will compare.

To finish an episode or the whole game? 90 minutes would be par for the course when compared to Duke or Doom, it usually only takes about an hour or so to get through an episode.

What's the average clear time for Duke it out in DC?

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostPikaCommando, on 16 August 2017 - 12:53 AM, said:

What's the average clear time for Duke it out in DC?

Do you count the four hours of getting stuck in the Smithsonian? Typically, these old school shooters can be blazed through quite quickly when you already know them, but take quite a bit longer the first time through.

• Judge Mental

I've been playing through E1, and so far I've been having a lot of fun. It's definitely Quake meets Redneck Rampage with some sprinkles of Duke3D and Blood. Everything plays good, feels good, and works good. It's a solid old school experience. I did blitz the first two maps, but on the third one I started exploring and taking in the world. I missed half the baddies on one of the maps, which leads me to believe I missed an entire section of level. I'm not even sure how.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 20 August 2017 - 11:54 AM

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 20 August 2017 - 11:06 AM, said:

I've been playing through E1, and so far I've been having a lot of fun. It's definitely Quake meets Redneck Rampage with some sprinkles of Duke3D and Blood. Everything plays good, feels good, and works good. It's a solid old school experience. I did blitz the first two maps, but on the third one I started exploring and taking in the world. I missed half the baddies on one of the maps, which leads me to believe I missed an entire section of level. I'm not even sure how.

How's the level design?

• Judge Mental

View Postnecroslut, on 20 August 2017 - 12:34 PM, said:

How's the level design?

Well the one concern that the alpha demo gave to a lot of people was certainly valid at that time. It felt a little Wolfenstein 3Dish, very boxy. While in the final game I was getting Doom vibes in terms of level layout. There was a corn field type area in one of the levels, and i'm not entirely sure if there's another more "legit" way to get to the secret area hidden within, but I went and grabbed a bail of hay from the barn and used it to jump over the corn to get to the secret, which in turn had another secret inside of it leading down to a nice bonus weapon, and with some other searching in the level you will find a switch that opens a secret door (hidden within the cornfield secret) which leads to the secret exit from the map. Very much like E1M3 leads to E1M9 in Doom. There's lot of those kinds of old schoolisms.I was also having a blast fucking with all the stuff in the environment. From blowing up cracks, to flushing things down the toilet, to setting different stuff on fire and hurling it at enemies, and watching them spread it around. Good stuff.

Video from Level 2. I might do a full playthrough later. I'm really enjoying this. It's like a well oiled car.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 21 August 2017 - 09:22 AM

User is offline   axl 

I'm certainly gonna keep my eye on this title. So far so good. Although I'm a little worried about the deliberately "ugly" models of the weapons and enemies. Even the models in Quake 1 were of higher quality... I'm going to await the full release first.

I love the sounds though.

This post has been edited by axl: 21 August 2017 - 10:03 AM

Cool tune! Looking forward to this one. One of the devs answering questions on the Steam forum has a Duke avatar too, which is always nice to see.

User is offline   VGA 

This is such a smooth shooter game. Atmosphere like Blood (minus the voice acting), Quake-like movement, enemy behaviour that's reminiscent of the Doom and the Serious Sam enemies, maps remind me of Redneck Rampage a bit etc :)

I recommend it for people who want to play a straight-up atmospheric, old-school shooter game.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

How far are they regarding development? I have this in my Steam wishlist for a while now, but normally I'm not buying before the product leaves early access.

• Judge Mental

View PostNightFright, on 23 March 2018 - 09:45 AM, said:

How far are they regarding development? I have this in my Steam wishlist for a while now, but normally I'm not buying before the product leaves early access.

Right now there are two completed episodes and multiplayer.

• The Truth is in here

Hmmm... and gameplay features are complete? It's just about adding more levels or it's still clear to see that parts of the mechanics are not implemented?

• Judge Mental

Aside of maybe a new weapon or some new badguys for the third episode, it's pretty much all there as far as I know. We're mostly talking about levels.

• The Truth is in here

It really looks like a good mix of Blood and Quake. I think the dev will have 20 bucks more pretty soon...

A standalone version of this without requiring Steam would be nice, though.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 24 March 2018 - 11:37 AM

User is offline   leilei 

Watching a recent video gave me the impression of it having the same movement/feedback issues ROTT '13 had, also the sound design isn't anywhere near the era of graphics it wants to be either.

• Judge Mental

View Postleilei, on 24 March 2018 - 03:48 PM, said:

Watching a recent video gave me the impression of it having the same movement/feedback issues ROTT '13 had

Not at all. It feels very much like Quake. Movement is very smooth. I'm saying that as someone who absolutely hated ROTT 13. If it felt anything like that I would have refunded it.

You guys should buy DUSK solely for this man here.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: BIG_JOHN.png

• The Truth is in here

Seems to be a good year for retro shooters. Ion Maiden full version coming later this year (hopefully), Dusk in advanced early access, Amid Evil just entering it... And then all these will be moddable, so user levels can be made. It's great to see a small revival of the good old times!

• The Truth is in here

The moment in the game (Escher Labs) when you know for SURE you made a good purchase. (Not that it didn't have great moments before or after, but this one is ofc somewhat special.)

User is offline   Perro Seco 

Those graphics are very bad even for a game from the 90s (it looks more like a Minecraft mod), and the content seems very unoriginal. I respect people who likes the game, and I hope the creator can earn something with it, but I wouldn't call it a good purchase at all. Yes, I heard that gameplay is good, but for that I have Quake and Blood, which compared to Dusk they look like games from the future.

• The Truth is in here

I admit the visual style is somewhat basic and not for everyone, but the levels are designed really well, feature a lot of variety and manage to surprise you from time to time. You gotta approach it with an open mind. It won't reach the class of a Quake or a Duke3D, not even by a long shot. Still, I gotta say I really enjoyed this and look forward to the third episode of this guy. That's what this is in the end anyway, the work of one guy (mostly at least). As far as I am concerned, I am impressed. It's OK if you are not, though.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 26 April 2018 - 12:55 PM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I don't know, it doesn't look that much worse than Quake to me.

• Judge Mental

View PostPerro Seco, on 26 April 2018 - 10:26 AM, said:

Those graphics are very bad even for a game from the 90s (it looks more like a Minecraft mod), and the content seems very unoriginal. I respect people who likes the game, and I hope the creator can earn something with it, but I wouldn't call it a good purchase at all. Yes, I heard that gameplay is good, but for that I have Quake and Blood, which compared to Dusk they look like games from the future.

No. Just no. Dusk is fucking great. Great music, great design, great aesthetic.

It's funny how most everyone's tune changed once there was actual gameplay. I love Dusk, it captures almost everything I love about Blood, which is my favorite game of all time. The only things I dislike about it, is that it uses 3D models for enemies, and it uses Unity as the engine, making it extremely unoptimised for the graphics it uses.

User is online   Lunick 

View PostChristianTheSatanist, on 24 July 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

and it uses Unity as the engine, making it extremely unoptimised for the graphics it uses.

I wish people would stop equating Unity = bad performance

View PostLunick, on 24 July 2018 - 03:12 PM, said:

I wish people would stop equating Unity = bad performance

Tell Unity's developers to optimize their engine and people would. I've never played a Unity game that didn't feel too sluggish for its design style, and Unity Game devs get butthurt when you criticize their engine of choice -- but what do you expect when you choose an engine that makes developing games easy for them? It's a 'One Size Fits All' solution, and the performance reflects as such.

On the other hand, the Serious Engine (the engine that powers Serious Sam and The Talos Principle) is a GD powerhouse, and was the fastest engine I'd ever used that was able to run at an OK FPS on my integrated graphics tower. Mad props to the Serious Sam devs.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Unity is one of the most fluid and flexible engines created. Creating games requires talent. You should be pointing your finger at the poor "developers" who can't program for shit. Personally I've never had an issue with games done with love and care on Unity.

I really like working with Unity in my personal projects, but Unity's profit is not driven by optimized hardcore games and this will always reflect in the on screen results when the majority of folks are of middling skill level. Unity is an ad driven corporation.

Even highly skilled devs have to work hard to get comparable visual results at even remotely similar performance metrics relative to other engines available off the shelf or via direct business agreements. Unity is an advertisement business first... this isn't actually a bad thing... I think it's VERY good path for them to dominate (which they do) and look forward to their continued effort to maintain that market lead while offering ever better and better tech to work with.

User is offline   axl 

Finally purchased Dusk. I must say I was a bit worried about the "deliberately ugly" weapon and enemy models... But I must admit, this is a very entertaining FPS ! As someone said before, it feels a lot like "Quake meets Redneck Rampage".

The levels also have great atmosphere.

Highly recommended.

This post has been edited by axl: 15 December 2018 - 05:46 AM

• The Truth is in here

Still gotta play the new episode, thanks for reminding me!

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options