Duke4.net Forums: Duke 3d Enemy and Character Sprite Variants - Duke4.net Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3d Enemy and Character Sprite Variants  "Sprite variants I drew for fun"

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 23 February 2018 - 08:50 AM, said:

Regarding first person Bombshell, we should get someone to record lines for Bombshell to replace Duke's. They can be all the same lines, maybe a couple original ones here and there, just spoken by a female instead. How does replaying Duke Nukem 3D with Bombshell sound? Maybe with slightly altered level designs, similar to how the levels in Sonic 3 and Knuckles are different when you play as Knuckles. Why, it sounds quite appealing. Very appealing.

EDIT: Of course, I'm forgetting all about Ion Maiden. But still, having all of Duke's lines with Bombshell variations would be sweet.

Similar to playing through Bulletstorm as Duke, just better.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 23 February 2018 - 08:50 AM, said:

Regarding first person Bombshell, we should get someone to record lines for Bombshell to replace Duke's. They can be all the same lines, maybe a couple original ones here and there, just spoken by a female instead.

Yeah, I've started that process, I have one candidate voice actor who is willing to try it in my house. We'll see how it goes. I'm already writing down ideas.

Examples:
After a shotgun kill "How was that for a shotgun wedding, baby?"
Shrinks an enemy: "Don't worry little guy, size doesn't matter..." Then stomps them: "Oh wait size does matter"

A lot of Duke's lines would be fine to use, too.

“I guess size does matter”, upon stomping, would be a better alternative to a two-part zinger specific to both shrinking and stomping an enemy. I could see that getting old very quickly if using the shrinker on multiple enemies in rapid succession. Just my two cents.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostKaijuTurtle, on 23 February 2018 - 01:17 PM, said:

“I guess size does matter”, upon stomping, would be a better alternative to a two-part zinger specific to both shrinking and stomping an enemy. I could see that getting old very quickly if using the shrinker on multiple enemies in rapid succession. Just my two cents.

True, but keep in mind that with the scripting abilities of Eduke32 there would be complete control over when one-liners are used. For example, it could play the 1st part only the first time the shrinker is used and then start a timer preventing that 1st part from playing again until at least 10 minutes has elapsed. LIkewise the 2nd part could have a shorter timer, or only play on every 10th stomp, or something like that. It won't be like '96 Duke 3D where all the jibbed one-liners are in a random pool. There could still be a random pool for the more generic ones that won't get tiresome, but situation specific lines can be limited.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 23 February 2018 - 01:23 PM, said:

True, but keep in mind that with the scripting abilities of Eduke32 there would be complete control over when one-liners are used. For example, it could play the 1st part only the first time the shrinker is used and then start a timer preventing that 1st part from playing again until at least 10 minutes has elapsed. LIkewise the 2nd part could have a shorter timer, or only play on every 10th stomp, or something like that. It won't be like '96 Duke 3D where all the jibbed one-liners are in a random pool.

I do recall a 90s DN3D mod where the protagonist was Australian, and said the line "I come from a land down under!" every single effing time an item was picked up. Granted, he started saying it again as soon as he picked up another item---meaning that, if there was a line of ammo clips, you'd want to puncture your own eardrums before he got the last clip. "I come from---" "I come from---" "I come---" "I come from a---" et. al.

WIP on an Underwater Monster Boss. I picture him shooting spikes at you; if you get too close he'll suck in water drawing you towards him and chew you to pieces. Any ideas for a name? Maybe related to the slimer family?

Attached Image: seamonsterWIP.jpg

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 24 February 2018 - 08:06 PM

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 24 February 2018 - 08:06 PM, said:

WIP on an Underwater Monster Boss. I picture him shooting spikes at you; if you get too close he'll suck in water drawing you towards him and chew you to pieces. Any ideas for a name? Maybe related to the slimer family?

Attachment seamonsterWIP.jpg

"Protozoid Devourer" comes to mind, if it's going to be part of the slimer family.

Awesome as always!

View PostDoom64hunter, on 25 February 2018 - 08:09 AM, said:

"Protozoid Devourer" comes to mind, if it's going to be part of the slimer family.

Awesome as always!

Definitely a good choice---and I look forward to seeing this thing completed/in action.

The Slimer Devourer boss:
Attached Image: devourer.png

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

If I'm going to code this I want a place to put it. It's an underwater boss, so it could be tested in the queen area, but it needs to have its own home.

Also, I would rather not have to emulate the hardcoded stuff which happens when a slimer gets on the player's face. Maybe I'll try having the underwater slimer literally turn into a regular slimer when it gets close to the player, and just let it do its thing.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 02 March 2018 - 05:54 PM, said:

Also, I would rather not have to emulate the hardcoded stuff which happens when a slimer gets on the player's face. Maybe I'll try having the underwater slimer literally turn into a regular slimer when it gets close to the player, and just let it do its thing.

That's fine. TBH I didn't put too much work in the slimer eating your face. Only difference is the teeth and slightly longer tentacles.

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 02 March 2018 - 05:33 PM, said:

The Slimer Devourer boss:
Attachment devourer.png

Looks even greater than I imagined! Great job!

Dukenator/Terminator
Attached Image: terminator.png

See it in action by Trooper Dan:

User is offline   Jblade 

Awesome stuff, especially the crawling around the floor art :) Makes me think of Binary Domain.

Gotta love that movie-accurate crawling set of sprites.....it's details like those that make your work that much more awesome. And as if the sprite sheets aren't great enough on their own, Trooper Dan's videos of your work in action are just brilliant!

*tips hat* Keep up the awesome work, sebabdukeboss20! :)

A quick stab at a Scuba Trooper:

Attached Image: scubatroop.png

User is offline   Jblade 

nice work - they'd also double up as a cool zero-g variant as well!

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Great! makes totally sense to have a scuba Trooper since the regular enemy can walk and fly, now it can cover any gameplay niche.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

sebab

You're a badass.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Great! Any updates on the male civilian with the suit? It just needed a fix for the colored light and I was ready to code it.

That Scuba Trooper is incredible---and again, I'm amazed that the original game didn't have a focus on underwater enemies....

....though now, I can't help but wonder if the Pig Cops have their own Scuba division.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostMajor Tom, on 21 March 2018 - 07:23 AM, said:

I'm amazed that the original game didn't have a focus on underwater enemies....

Octabrains are very clearly associated with water and underwater areas, and also there are sharks and even underwater mines. I guess it's just that the underwater areas are not generally too extensive to have warranted a special type of alien trooper in the original game's design.

Anyway, these new enemy variants get me a feel of the variously themed action figures that were kinda popular in the 90s, which is cool.

So I've been silent for a while because I've been working on the Alien Armageddon mod. It features a lot of my new enemies, babes, and artwork. Obviously, it's a surprise for what I have in store so I can't show you.

However, I decided to share a few enemies I've been working on lately:

Energizer Suicide Bunny. This is from Duke Nukem 1 and acts as a suicide bomber:
Attached Image: energizerbunny.png

OctaDroid209. This is a frankensprite of my Baby Octabrain and ED209. It's like a Duke version of the Arachnotron.
Attached Image: OD209.png

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 20 June 2018 - 12:09 PM, said:

So I've been silent for a while because I've been working on the Alien Armageddon mod. It features a lot of my new enemies, babes, and artwork. Obviously, it's a surprise for what I have in store so I can't show you.

However, I decided to share a few enemies I've been working on lately:

Energizer Suicide Bunny. This is from Duke Nukem 1 and acts as a suicide bomber:
Attachment energizerbunny.png

OctaDroid209. This is a frankensprite of my Baby Octabrain and ED209. It's like a Duke version of the Arachnotron.
Attachment OD209.png

I was wondering when you'd reappear....and this post was very much worth the wait! :(

Loving the Energizer Suicide Bunny; hopefully, there are more updated DN1 enemies in the works.

OD-209 looks utterly badass...I assume it's meant to be a mini-boss type of enemy?

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 20 June 2018 - 12:09 PM, said:

Attachment OD209.png

Heh, I immediately thought of Krang's walker even before I scrolled down to the bottom of the sprite sheet :(

The only other DN1 enemies worth to have a DN3D sprite are the Helicopter and the Flying Techbot. Maybe also the Wallcrawler monsters but the DN3D Protozoid Slimer is already kinda similar, so much that even the wiki point this out (anyway the Goops and the suckers from DN2 and the slime thing from Dangerous Dave 2 are a more pertinent comparison to me).

We will ever see some DN2 enemies? I would love to see Gargoyles and Rigelatins.

View PostFantinaikos, on 20 June 2018 - 01:58 PM, said:

The only other DN1 enemies worth to have a DN3D sprite are the Helicopter and the Flying Techbot. Maybe also the Wallcrawler monsters but the DN3D Protozoid Slimer is already kinda similar, so much that even the wiki point this out (anyway the Goops and the suckers from DN2 and the slime thing from Dangerous Dave 2 are a more pertinent comparison to me).

We will ever see some DN2 enemies? I would love to see Gargoyles and Rigelatins.

No love for the Foot Techbot?

Posted Image

View PostMajor Tom, on 20 June 2018 - 02:03 PM, said:

No love for the Foot Techbot?

Posted Image

I'm actually working on that one. It doesn't look too exciting. I didn't realize it had a recoil shooting animation like that. My version currently has normal mech guns.

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 20 June 2018 - 02:09 PM

I thought that the OctaDroid209 was a reinterpretation already. I advise modernize a little the central body, which looks like a cable car cabin.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

When I was a kid I thought those robots were the same as the helicopters and could transform between the two (even though you never see it happen). Probably because they have similar colour schemes.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options