Duke4.net Forums: Singleplayer Map (no Name yet) - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Singleplayer Map (no Name yet)

User is offline   uLTra 

Hello,
this is my first post ever in this forum.
After nearly 16 years I'm making a level again. This time with new textures, sprites... looots of details. Platforming. Calm sections. (Hard) battles.
The gameplay will be a little different. The running speed is reduced, ammo and health packs are short.
There will be lots of references and cameos to discover. This level is full of details :-)

I changed some things in the user.con and defs.con. So this is best played with the 20 Anniversary Edition.
Naturally Duke is running way tooo fast for this kind of level.

Unfortunalety Duke3D has been "some kind of forbidden" in Germany until 2016 the 20th anniversary version came out. And since Megaton was taken from steam I only got the con files from the 20th anniversary edition. I intended to put a sprint key but this doesn't work in the latest edition :-(

I need one or two testers. If you would like to help me, just get in touch with me and I will give you a download link :-)

Here are some screenshots:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

I have some free time, but I've been known to be pretty nit-picky about things.
I'll test your project if you think you can put up with me.

If you'd rather wait and work with someone whom may be easier to get along with, I'm fine with that.

User is offline   Mark 

Looking good. I like city maps and I like detailed maps.

User is offline   Perro Seco 

That looks very good! But I hope you can do something to also adapt it for people that don't have the 20th Anniversary Edition.

By the way, is the gun on the fifth screenshot the one Butch used in Pulp Fiction?

User is offline   Forge 

View PostPerro Seco, on 11 June 2018 - 03:56 PM, said:

But I hope you can do something to also adapt it for people that don't have the 20th Anniversary Edition.

There's always the shareware version of the grp file,

Wasn't there a full version of duke3d 1.3 or 1.4 on one of those open source cd ftp sites, or something? I remember Tx posted a link to it some time ago after megaton & duke3d were pulled from steam and gog.

This post has been edited by Forge: 11 June 2018 - 04:28 PM

User is offline   uLTra 

View PostForge, on 11 June 2018 - 03:38 PM, said:

I have some free time, but I've been known to be pretty nit-picky about things.
I'll test your project if you think you can put up with me.

If you'd rather wait and work with someone whom may be easier to get along with, I'm fine with that.

I don't know yet. Will I cry and shut down my map when you nitpick ;-)

User is offline   uLTra 

View PostPerro Seco, on 11 June 2018 - 03:56 PM, said:

That looks very good! But I hope you can do something to also adapt it for people that don't have the 20th Anniversary Edition.

By the way, is the gun on the fifth screenshot the one Butch used in Pulp Fiction?

Thanks! When I get the con files for other version I can manage to do it.

I don't know if this the exact uzi, but yes, this is a reference from Pulp Fiction.

User is offline   Forge 

I'm going to take a shot and say this is the legal full version of 1.3D

-removed link to archive.org-

since I can't edit my posts after a certain amount of time & I'd rather not ruffle feathers over the legal status of the files.

This post has been edited by Forge: 11 June 2018 - 05:03 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostuLTra, on 11 June 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

I don't know yet. Will I cry and shut down my map when you nitpick ;-)

Maybe.
Most likely you'll just tell me to piss-off after I swamp you.

Just keep me on the 'considering' list until someone else steps up.
Use me if you have no takers.

This post has been edited by Forge: 11 June 2018 - 05:06 PM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I'd love to but the 20th Anniversary version won't run on my PC. If it's at all compatible (or can be made compatible) with eDuke I'd be more than happy to.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

The duke3d.grp that ships with World Tour is functionally equivalent to the Atomic Edition, and EDuke32 can use it as such.

This includes having the original Atomic Edition CON files inside. You can use a tool like kextract or Group File Studio to extract them.

View PostHendricks266, on 11 June 2018 - 09:14 PM, said:

The duke3d.grp that ships with World Tour is functionally equivalent to the Atomic Edition, and EDuke32 can use it as such.

This includes having the original Atomic Edition CON files inside. You can use a tool like kextract or Group File Studio to extract them.

So what would need to be done? Just make a special folder for this map with its custom CON files like any other user map with con changes?

I think I see some WT art in there. Should I load this with the stopgap as well?

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 11 June 2018 - 10:38 PM

User is offline   uLTra 

View PostNinety-Six, on 11 June 2018 - 10:36 PM, said:

So what would need to be done? Just make a special folder for this map with its custom CON files like any other user map with con changes?

I think I see some WT art in there. Should I load this with the stopgap as well?

Well, I just found out, that it's just the game.con that causes trouble. When I start eduke32 it only says "Error compiling CON files".
I didn't make any changes in the game.con. Now I have to figure out the sound problem.

User is offline   Forge 

attach your eduke32.log file and maybe one of these smart people can help.

User is offline   uLTra 

View PostForge, on 12 June 2018 - 06:16 AM, said:

attach your eduke32.log file and maybe one of these smart people can help.

Mea culpa. Noob here. I fixed it. Eduke32 works if I put everything in one folder.

User is offline   Forge 

So now that everything works with eduke32, you might get more people willing to help test your project.

If not, my offer still stands.

If I can run it in eDuke I'm in. I will note I'll be playing it from the software renderer so I won't be able to comment on the point lights, but I can still comment on texture work, level design, flow, difficulty, etc.

You will probably want a second person who can see the point lights and get their overall opinion too, though.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 12 June 2018 - 10:36 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

You don't want the stopgap. Just the duke3d.grp and duke.rts from World Tour and nothing else but EDuke32.

User is offline   NNC 

This might be the first usermap with WT graphics...

View PostHendricks266, on 12 June 2018 - 11:02 AM, said:

You don't want the stopgap. Just the duke3d.grp and duke.rts from World Tour and nothing else but EDuke32.

Roger that. Thank you.

User is offline   uLTra 

View PostHendricks266, on 12 June 2018 - 11:02 AM, said:

Thanks! I do it so now.

Maybe you can help me with this: is it possible to deactivate autorun function? I just want to have the run function without the permanent autorun (capslock).

User is offline   uLTra 

Hey, it's me again.
The level is now in an advanced state. Just adding a few more details. But the level structure is finished so far und fully compatible with eduke32. Don't need to have the 20th anniversary edition.

And it has a name now: White Noise.
There will be a little story to discover by finding some hints in the level.

BUT I have a few question. Maybe you can help me.

Silent Teleporters. Is there a trick to make a silent teleport without having the sound and sparkle? I tried a lot with the SE Sprites. But nothing worked.
Delayed Teleporters. Is it possible when I enter a sector to teleport seconds later and not immediately. I got a trick for now. But it's a little unhandy.
Stopping the background music. Is it possible to stop the background music when you enter a specific sector?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   Maisth 

I know the One way teleporters and Sewer hole aka "Silent teleporters" don't have the sparkle thingy.

http://wiki.eduke32....ing_Teleporters

User is offline   uLTra 

I'm using the Sewer Teleporter as a silent teleporter at the moment. But I want to step normally into a sector and be teleported somewhere else without any sound.

View PostMaisth, on 16 June 2018 - 06:32 AM, said:

I know the One way teleporters and Sewer hole aka "Silent teleporters" don't have the sparkle thingy.

http://wiki.eduke32....ing_Teleporters

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View PostuLTra, on 16 June 2018 - 06:41 AM, said:

I want to step normally into a sector and be teleported somewhere else without any sound.
Grab this example map and use it as you wish: http://www.mediafire...y/tele.map/file

I had to post a link to Mediafire because the forum doesn't allow me to attach files...

User is offline   uLTra 

Thank you! I will look after it later or tomorrow. But that looks not so hard to make.

View PostPerro Seco, on 16 June 2018 - 09:09 AM, said:

Grab this example map and use it as you wish: http://www.mediafire...y/tele.map/file

I had to post a link to Mediafire because the forum doesn't allow me to attach files...

User is offline   Mark 

Give the transport SEs a palette greater than 0 and the sound and sparkle go away.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 16 June 2018 - 12:43 PM

User is offline   uLTra 

Hello there,
I'm working on a new map/episode and. You guys helped me a lot already. Thanks for that! But, I still have a bunch of (new) questions :-)

(I don't know anything about con-coding. I tried to include a sprint-button but I failed hard^^)

1. What do I have to change in the game.con so that enemies don't drop any ammo/weapons?
2. Trip Mines: Invisible laser. I know that you can change it in the user.con. But I want only a few lasers invisible and not all of them. Is there a way to make that?
3. Is there a way to trigger a door or something else after killing an enemy?
4. I want to make an underwater stream by using the conveyor SE. But I can't figure out how make the floor not moving.
5.1. Where and what I have to change so that Duketalk is always off from the beginning?
5.2. How can I disable "always run" or "map" button. Is there an easy way?
6. Is there an easy way to apply footstep sounds to specific textures, like when you walk on the pannel texture?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

7. Who wants to TEST the MAP? :-)

There are still a lot of texture misalignments and empty spaces I will take care later.
But I'm curious how long other players need to reach the end of the level by now.
Is the lighting okay? Is it too dark?
What about the gameplay? Boring? Exciting?

Attached Image: duke0011.jpg
Attached Image: duke0012.jpg
Attached Image: duke0013.jpg
Attached Image: duke0014.jpg

It will vary between, horror, action, platforming. Like the first Half Life. But this part is "horror" only.

If you like to test and help me then message me or comment. I will send you a wetransfer downloadlink.

Thank you!

User is online   zykov eddy 

View PostuLTra, on 02 January 2019 - 12:13 PM, said:

7. Who wants to TEST the MAP? :-)

Me!

User is offline   Forge 

Is it polymer only, or can it be played in classic as well?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options