Duke4.net Forums: Shadow Warrior - "New Episode" - Duke4.net Forums

• 44 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior - "New Episode"

User is offline   Hank 

View Postenderandrew, on 31 October 2017 - 07:52 PM, said:

SW and Eduke32 both have pretty permissive licenses. There shouldn't be license nightmares combining those. In fact, it seem the initial decision to do that and the heavy lifting there was @Hendricks266.

I read through every page of this thread even though I'm a copy/paste coder who rarely does any development. It seems to me in all the threads I read from ICD that he wants to jump in and make something. So he isn't afraid to experiment or rewrite things, which usually leads to consternation from Evan, who doesn't want his code changed or tinkered with. FWIW, reading over all these threads it seems like we should appreciate new work being done and it helps to be open to new ideas, but sometimes ICD runs into issues because he doesn't know the existing code base as well as others.

I see Evan constantly claiming that ICD refuses to listen to any feedback, and then ICD begging for specific feedback. FWIW, I've also see ICD compromise or make changes given feedback. But literally never have I seen Hendricks266 be open to accepting any code from ICD. This impass saddens me. I get that ICD hasn't finished the big rocks he started, but his repositories are open and there has been clear progress.

I wish there was more specifics given for the technical differences between the sides so we can end up with a usable SW port.

As for why ICD is bouncing forth between new features in this port (when some people just want a basic SW port that plays the base game and 2 expansions to start) is precisely because ultimately ICD wants to make a mod for a new episode. I don't see this as a contradiction or a shift in direction. The base game can't run the mod he wants. A straight source port can't either. Playing with new features informs what he can and cannot do with a mod. He also split his repository so that one branch is more of a straight port, and other stuff is separated as new features for the mod.

FWIW, I do often fall on ICD's side of thinking in that bringing in a separately well maintained library for a function just makes sense. As for the lengthy argument over which model format to support, I keep wondering:

video = cut

Let modders use whatever works for them.

I hope some of the negativity hasn't chased off ICD and that his work will continue in time. He has disappeared before, and come back again when time allowed.

I always respond to a quote.

My two cents:
1. The license nightmare pertained to the open source portions mixed with planned propriety plug-ins.
2. duke4 forums can be a harsh place.
3. Since day one, it was clear that this port is doing its own thing.
4. The Eduke32 team is not obliged to assist with programmers doing their own thing.
5. If/when ICD comes back, great, if not, great too. His life, his spare time. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Hank: 01 November 2017 - 03:03 PM

View PostHank, on 01 November 2017 - 03:02 PM, said:

I always respond to a quote.

My two cents:
1. The license nightmare pertained to the open source portions mixed with planned propriety plug-ins.
2. duke4 forums can be a harsh place.
3. Since day one, it was clear that this port is doing its own thing.
4. The Eduke32 team is not obliged to assist with programmers doing their own thing.
5. If/when ICD comes back, great, if not, great too. His life, his spare time. :rolleyes:

1. That seems different from what you said. You said he created a license nightmare by combining Shadow Warrior with EDuke32.
2. I think ICD gets that. He jokes about everyone hating him and he seems to roll with the punches.
3. Yes, but if this is the first shipped method for using EDuke32's engine to run SW, then people will want to use it and will seek support. It behooves everyone to find a way to get the core support for SW upstream.
4. They are not obligated, but again, it behooves everyone to try and foster community contributions.
5. I agree. Such is the nature of volunteer work.

Look, I'm an engineer. I'm all for focusing on the best code and best solution. All I'm saying is that if people aren't happy with new code that is offered up, it is better to provide constructive and actionable criticism on the code. Everyone wins.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View Postenderandrew, on 03 November 2017 - 01:46 PM, said:

Look, I'm an engineer. I'm all for focusing on the best code and best solution. All I'm saying is that if people aren't happy with new code that is offered up, it is better to provide constructive and actionable criticism on the code. Everyone wins.

maybe I'm taking it wrong, but you seem to think that what ICD was doing was supposed to be the 'one and only swiss army knife eduke port for shadow warrior'.

It wasn't.

He veered off the original code to do his own thing, added third party plugins that weren't compatible with the eduke license, and wasn't interested in input from hendricks, tx, or anybody else.

Repeating and bolding the fact that ICD was not interested in other people's expert input isn't sinking into your head is it?

Noble altruism looks good in type, but isn't a practical application in this instance.

This post has been edited by Forge: 03 November 2017 - 02:13 PM

User is offline   Hank 

1. That seems different from what you said. You said he created a license nightmare by combining Shadow Warrior with EDuke32.
2. I think ICD gets that. He jokes about everyone hating him and he seems to roll with the punches.
3. Yes, but if this is the first shipped method for using EDuke32's engine to run SW, then people will want to use it and will seek support. It behooves everyone to find a way to get the core support for SW upstream.
4. They are not obligated, but again, it behooves everyone to try and foster community contributions.
5. I agree. Such is the nature of volunteer work.

1. Nah, prolly a case of my very bad English. Eduke32 and Shadow Warrior are both under the same GPL Big Shit license. I just strongly dislike IQM and OpenAl crap (try to get a current proper software for this garbage), but I ain't the inner circle here, and haven't a fucking clue why Collada/FBX and Fmod cain't work with those engines.

5. Luv ya. Yep, that's the bottom line. ICD gave me a lot of inspiration for new models, textures and sounds. If he comes back, open arms, hugs and kisses from me.

Ha, I'm a Mechanical Consultant, and agreed; but, as I just just wrote I don't have to worry about GPL. All my coding is done, closed, and with the help of a lot of very, very smart people. I think, in all my life I wrote 150 lines of code, the rest is cut and paste. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Hank: 03 November 2017 - 07:01 PM

User is offline   Ninjakitty 

Anyone here really good at sketching?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

No, https://forums.duke4...g-with-polymer/ was the first shipped method.

I also remind you that ice's changes were consistently bad. There was nothing to merge with upstream because we would have needed to throw out all of his work anyway.

User is offline   mxrtxn 

View PostNinjakitty, on 05 November 2017 - 03:43 PM, said:

Anyone here really good at sketching?

I can sketch. What do you need?

View Postmxrtxn, on 25 January 2018 - 09:16 AM, said:

I can sketch. What do you need?

A good side and front view of the coolie ghost would be very much appreciated, although they aren't as necessary now.

User is offline   mxrtxn 

View PostNinjakitty, on 25 January 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

A good side and front view of the coolie ghost would be very much appreciated, although they aren't as necessary now.

Here you go:

Posted Image

Hope you like it

User is offline   mxrtxn 

Side view of the Coolie Ghost

Posted Image

Hope you will find them useful...

Why do you need them for anyway?

This post has been edited by mxrtxn: 27 January 2018 - 08:16 PM

That looks great!

for now, let's just say I'm working on a little project :dukecigar: I don't feel like I'm far enough to promise anything

This post has been edited by Ninjakitty: 27 January 2018 - 09:33 PM

User is offline   Devon 

Hi!

Im looking for the latest binaries of icecolddukes shadow warrior port but the download links are down =(

Could someone help me out plx?

Best regards!

User is offline   Hank 

^ I think this is it
https://github.com/B...s/ShadowWarrior

This post has been edited by Hank: 02 June 2018 - 12:45 PM

User is offline   Hank 

as for the actual .exe file, below is the last version I found on my comp
http://www.mediafire..._july232017.rar

User is offline   Mark 

Thats 2 days newer than mine so I guess I'll download it.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMark., on 02 June 2018 - 06:07 PM, said:

Thats 2 days newer than mine so I guess I'll download it.

For all new guys here ...
https://crozzbreed23...com/icedsw/blog
the project appears to be shelved.

User is offline   Devon 

View PostHank, on 02 June 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

as for the actual .exe file, below is the last version I found on my comp
http://www.mediafire..._july232017.rar

Thank you!

Btw are there any active sw ports out there?

Proasm port seem outdated by a few years... and i couldnt get the audio to work properly.

Shadow warrior is such an awsome game... it is a shame it doesnt get more love.

This post has been edited by Devon: 05 June 2018 - 08:38 AM

User is offline   Hawke 

View PostDevon, on 05 June 2018 - 08:36 AM, said:

Sadly not. But I believe one is in the pipeline from the EDuke guys. It's been mentioned here before by Hendricks a few times, it might have been something only he was working on.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostDevon, on 05 June 2018 - 08:36 AM, said:

Thank you!

Proasm port seem outdated by a few years... and i couldnt get the audio to work properly.

Shadow warrior is such an awsome game... it is a shame it doesnt get more love.

You're welcome.
Shadow Warrior does get some love!
Latest update for ProAsm
https://github.com/H...66/SWP/releases

ProAsm is serviced by Hendricks266, last update was 2016. Now he is working on Ion Maiden. :(

User is online   Phredreeke 

If I'm not mistaken that build is for multiplayer (has issues with save game corruption) if you want to play single player you're better off running SW Redux

User is offline   Mark 

Hank's link is for version 4.3.3 beta 3

I didn't know it was there. I have run 4.3.3 beta 2 single player.
Before that I ran for a long time 4.3.2. No big issues for either one. Not sure about saved games. I never tried it.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 05 June 2018 - 12:05 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostPhredreeke, on 05 June 2018 - 11:18 AM, said:

If I'm not mistaken that build is for multiplayer (has issues with save game corruption) if you want to play single player you're better off running SW Redux

This sounds like a Robman lie. No one has given me saves that crash or instructions for how to reproduce such a crash.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMark., on 05 June 2018 - 12:05 PM, said:

Hank's link is for version 4.3.3 beta 3

I didn't know it was there. I have run 4.3.3 beta 2 single player.
Before that I ran for a long time 4.3.2. No big issues for either one. Not sure about saved games. I never tried it.

I did not actually beta test it, if you go back to the main page, it lists what improvements were done.
https://github.com/Hendricks266/SWP

All I am trying to establish here is, that real proficient people do work on it. It is not abandoned. :(

User is online   Phredreeke 

Crashing savefile

I'm not sure which files are relevant, so I included those that had changed since extraction.

User is offline   Master O 

View PostHank, on 05 June 2018 - 12:34 PM, said:

I did not actually beta test it, if you go back to the main page, it lists what improvements were done.
https://github.com/Hendricks266/SWP

All I am trying to establish here is, that real proficient people do work on it. It is not abandoned. :(

Too bad it doesn't support playing the CD Audio as FLAC files. Other than that, I'm liking the beta so far. I also tried to mount a bin/cue pairing as a CD, but SWP did not play the music, either.

This post has been edited by Master O: 20 June 2018 - 03:15 PM

Hello guys! I would love to play Shadow Warrior on Eduke since the "Redux" version from steam has the same bad mouse issues of the Duke 3D Megaton Edition of Steam.

Months ago I ended up playing the Eduke32 version of the game and the mouse was perfect!!!

Can I have Shadow Warrior to play like Duke3D on Eduke32?

If yes, how can I do it? I'm a total noob, thanks!

[I have the Classic Complete of SW on GOG too if needed]

This post has been edited by SixelAlexiS: 13 October 2018 - 03:03 AM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I think many if not all of us would like that. But I am afraid to disappoint you: A proper EDuke32 adaptation of SW has yet to be made. Icecoldduke was working on his own approach a couple of years ago, but he suddenly stopped, leaving the port unfinished. Besides that, it was rather hacked together than properly programmed from all I have read.

Maybe the real thing will eventually happen, but with the EDuke32 team being busy with Ion Maiden right now, I don't think any of the guys has time for anything else. And I dunno what their priorities will be after that.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 13 October 2018 - 09:58 AM

Share this topic:

• 44 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options