Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

These have not been implemented yet.

User is offline   Jblade 

Any chance of a command or something that'll essentially take a screen grab of the screen and put it into a temporary slot for a display event or whatever? I could use it for a few things (flashbangs, trippy screen effects .etc)

User is offline   Jblade 

also I forgot to mention this but the new save stuff you did has made saving pretty much instant, it's really fantastic. Autosaves basically don't pause the game at all now, although now I get paranoid and worry that it didn't save :P

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

If aim assist on hitscan is on, every single shotgun pellet hit the enemy in exactly the same spot, with zero spread? At first I thought this was due to autoaim, but apparently not. I will have to do some more investigation.

But apparently, hitting an enemy with shotgun negates the shotgun spread. I'm sure this is nothing new.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 22 April 2018 - 02:42 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

Is there any way to determine what difficulty setting the player has highlighted in the menu screen? I'd like to add some text that explains the currently 'selected' skill level (but NOT chosen, the current ones I've seen only hold what difficulty the player has chosen not the one they're looking at on the main menu)

EDIT: whilst I'm here, is there a way to lock out skill levels too?

This post has been edited by Jblade: 27 April 2018 - 01:18 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Try the m_player_skill userdef. The ones with the m_ prefix are the ones selected in the menu, and the ones without are the ones used by the game in progress.

User is offline   Jblade 

Just tried it, no dice I'm afraid - it's just set to whatever the current skill level is set to (or it defaults to 2 when starting a new game) I have seen that userdef before in the wiki but it didn't do what I needed so I wasn't sure what was up.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

There have been improvements to Ion Maden performance in the past weeks right?

I was wondering if these changes have been ported to vanilla eduke, or each engine will be on its own branch.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMike Norvak, on 23 May 2018 - 05:40 AM, said:

There have been improvements to Ion Maden performance in the past weeks right?

I was wondering if these changes have been ported to vanilla eduke, or each engine will be on its own branch.

They were in EDuke32 first.

User is online   Phredreeke 

But those performance improvements would be limited to Polymost wouldn't they?

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 23 May 2018 - 08:51 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

That depends what you’re talking about. Some of the optimisations were to the Ion Maiden game logic, which should increase the frame rate in all renderers.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostMicky C, on 24 May 2018 - 04:16 AM, said:

That depends what you’re talking about. Some of the optimisations were to the Ion Maiden game logic, which should increase the frame rate in all renderers.

We've also been making improvements to the scripting system behind the scenes, which will improve performance for any EDuke32 content that suffers from the same slowdowns, in all renderers.

User is offline   Gambini 

Hello!

Is there any command to debug clipshape? maybe something that renders a visible clipshape model?

User is online   Mark 

It may not be exactly what you are looking for but...

Load the 0_clipshape.map into Mapster. Then you can type into the console r_pr_wireframe. IIRC it requires being in the Polymer mode.

You can try turning off models from the menu and you will see the black 2D sprite with the model's dummytile dimensions. It should be about the same size as the model if its set up right in the defs.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 31 May 2018 - 05:09 AM

Thank you, but that´s not what i need.

I have my doubts about the precision clipshapes have, and what happens when the model moves, etc. I thought there would be a way to make visible the collision model, just like in other engines, like Source.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostGambini, on 31 May 2018 - 03:03 PM, said:

Thank you, but that´s not what i need.

I have my doubts about the precision clipshapes have, and what happens when the model moves, etc. I thought there would be a way to make visible the collision model, just like in other engines, like Source.

The first thing that comes to mind would be making a "wind tunnel" room with some coded projectiles. Projectiles would fire at the model from all directions and angles, and each hit would leave a small indicator sprite on the point of impact. Over a few seconds, the impact points would accumulate and show the outline of the clipshape.

EDIT: It would be more like a car wash, with shooter sprites set up in many places around the model. Then the shooters would spray it. This could be made pretty easily.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 31 May 2018 - 03:31 PM

That is a good idea, but it´s not too far from what I can measure by shooting at the model, walking over and jumping on it. I can tell the shapes are right, and faithful to the clipshape map construction. But i´m more concerned about the technicism involved. The triangulation, and how some specific clipshape constructions affect it (for example, i have a hunch that slopes upwards are not as accurate as slopes downward). If there is no engine-level way of knowing this, at least your solution could help me to tell if -and how- the clipshape works on moving models.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostGambini, on 31 May 2018 - 05:26 PM, said:

at least your solution could help me to tell if -and how- the clipshape works on moving models.

In many cases, clipshaped actors won't move at all: https://forums.duke4...aps-and-actors/

It may depend on how it is coded and the specific clipshape used.

Thanks. That indeed saves me some research. I also can come up with some practical ways to do testing.

Still, i am worried my initial question washes away, it´s mainly focused on knowing if there is such thing, or is it even posible to feature in the near future? I believe collision detection and render engine have a close relationship, and may feed from similar inputs. Drawing what the clipshape is like on wireframe should be relatively easy and very functional for testing.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Heads up; I have no idea what I’m talking about here.

I have the feeling that there’s simply no mechanism in place that can be adapted to drawing equivalent models of the clipmaps. The 2D engine can’t spawn sector geometry for a spite that’s floating in the air or crossing multiple sectors. It can’t really be made of individual spites since those sprites would have to be sloped and of arbitrary, dynamically-generated shape, other than some kind of particle-based system not unlike what Trooper Dan suggested but spawned directly by the model on a per-frame basis.

Model support itself is also pretty limited. TX or someone has said that the engine doesn’t really know what a model is, simply that the renderer is told to show a certain asset. After all, the whole reason that Helixhorned implemented clipshape was because that the engine doesn’t intrinsically know model geometry in the first place. As such, it’s unlikely that the reverse process is going to be a thing. Yes, the engine does know the clipping going on in this case, but again there’s no good mechanism to draw it.

It doesn’t help that Helixhorned, who did the original implementation, is no longer around.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 01 June 2018 - 03:05 AM

User is online   Mark 

In Mapster under the wireframe mode it shows the model and its clipshape in polygons. It should be possible to get that in game too I would think.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 01 June 2018 - 06:06 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

So I'm trying to figure out how to make cameras show the player as Bombshell when the player is Bombshell. There seems to be a dummy player sprite just for the purpose of showing the player next to the viewscreen, and it always shows APLAYER (tile 1405), regardless of what animation the player is actually in or what direction the player is facing. I don't know how to get access to that sprite.

Anyways, I thought to try EVENT_DISPLAYCAMERAOSD, which of course isn't documented. RETURN is 0 and setting it to -1 does nothing. Next I noticed that THISACTOR in that event has a value, so I thought maybe it was the value of the dummy player sprite. So I thought what the fuck let's just set the picnum of that sprite to Bombshell's picnum and see what happens. Fucking hilarious! Turns out it is the ID of the camera being viewed from, so doing that turned the camera into a Bombshell actor which started running around and shooting monsters. But, since it was still the ID of the active camera, you could see from her eyes through the viewscreen if you took a step back from it.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Funny side-effect.

If you want to get the result you were originally after, ask James. He has like 38 characters in his AMC TC and is able to get cameras to show the proper actor.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 03 June 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:

Funny side-effect.

If you want to get the result you were originally after, ask James. He has like 38 characters in his AMC TC and is able to get cameras to show the proper actor.

I have a solution now; I'll check with James later to see if we're doing it the same way.

User is offline   Jblade 

IIRC I basically spawn in a dummy sprite when the player is looking through a camera; I came up with the code back when the mod was first being worked on so my solution probably isn't as elegant as it could be.

I posted in the wrong thread, so I'll say well, Duke on!

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 06 June 2018 - 05:39 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostTrooper Dan, on 03 June 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

Anyways, I thought to try EVENT_DISPLAYCAMERAOSD, which of course isn't documented.

It's used to display CAMCORNER and CAMLIGHT when viewing through a security camera.

User is online   Mark 

I have brought this issue up a few times over the years and I don't remember what the replies were or why it has never been resolved.

Flickering of wall sprites under polymer. When a sprite is placed on a wall, Mapster offsets it a tiny little bit away from the wall when looking at it in 2D mode. That makes it a 50/50 chance that it will flicker in game using Polymer. My solution has been to turn off grid locking and manually drag the sprite a tiny bit further from the wall. Flickering problem solved. But seeing as how I have had to do this many 100's, maybe more than a 1,000 times over the years in all my projects it sure would be nice to have Mapster automatically place new sprites further away.

My suggestion is double the number that is used in that calculation right now. My pic shows the default placement on the left and where I manually drag it to on the right. Just that tiny bit of placement makes the problem go away. For reference in the pic, mapster is set for the smallest grid square.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: FLICKERSPRITE.png

This post has been edited by Mark.: 11 June 2018 - 09:16 AM

User is online   Mark 

No response? I'm guessing the problem may be an issue with the Polymer renderer. But since messing with that isn't very feasible I thought getting the fix through Mapster would be the hot ticket. Any foreseen problems with the Mapster fix?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMark., on 13 June 2018 - 10:47 AM, said:

No response? I'm guessing the problem may be an issue with the Polymer renderer. But since messing with that isn't very feasible I thought getting the fix through Mapster would be the hot ticket. Any foreseen problems with the Mapster fix?

I'm pretty sure they don't want to make mapster changes based on Polymer glitches. But you could strengthen your case if you could show that the old default distance used in the original maps was larger and did not cause the issue.

Also, I don't have time to do this right now, but one could make a mapster script that would adjust the distances for the entire map all at once so you wouldn't have to do it manually.

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options