Duke4.net Forums: bug with crane alignment in game - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

bug with crane alignment in game

User is offline   Mark 

This started in the quick questions thread because I thought the problem was something I did or missed. But going back to an older revision of Eduke32 cleared the problem. So once again I may have to bisect revisions to track it down. :(

https://forums.duke4...post__p__301302

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostMark., on 30 May 2018 - 08:52 AM, said:

This started in the quick questions thread because I thought the problem was something I did or missed. But going back to an older revision of Eduke32 cleared the problem. So once again I may have to bisect revisions to track it down. :(

https://forums.duke4...post__p__301302

I used to see the changes in revisions as a bad thing, but that means the staff is working to improve Ion Maden. If you don't want to get things broken every time, use an older synthesis where you know things work and try to stick with it. I just hope that after the released of the full game there will be a "definitive" stable version of EDuke with most bugs fixed.

User is offline   Mark 

I usually use older versions. But I updated to newer because some long standing issues were recently fixed and I wanted my project to include those fixes.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostMike Norvak, on 30 May 2018 - 09:03 AM, said:

I just hope that after the released of the full game there will be a "definitive" stable version of EDuke with most bugs fixed.

And multiplayer.

User is offline   Mark 

Its getting weirder. During more testing I found that in the original HHR map I used the crane models tile 1222 as in the pic and they don't move. Good.

But in the 2nd HHR map I'm working on the crane moves instead of staying in place. I deleted it and placed it back in from scratch. No good. So then I did a copy/paste of the non-moving one from the first map into the second map. Still moving. No difference in any tags or settings between the stationary and moving cranes. :(

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: CRANEWORKS.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark.: 30 May 2018 - 11:42 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I don't know much about cranes, but I do know if you put that model on a different tile number it won't move. You just wanted a stationary prop, right?

User is offline   Mark 

Thats what I just did to make it stay. I used the next tile number 1223 which is the claws slightly closed. It stays put now.

But it still doesn't explain why the cranes in my previous pic 1222 don't move. But every 1222 I place after that does move.

But... I give up. I found my compromise. I want to release this map in the next day or so.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 30 May 2018 - 11:39 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMark., on 30 May 2018 - 11:37 AM, said:

Thats what I just did to make it stay. I used the next tile number 1223 which is the claws slightly closed. It stays put now.

Unless this is a vanilla map, you can just define the regular open claw tile on an entirely new tile number and that way you don't have to compromise.

User is offline   Mark 

Thanks for the reminder, but this HHR update is mapping only. No asset changes.

I read the info on how to use a moving crane. It requires the use of the crane pole 1221 with a hitag and the claw 1222 with a matching hitag. My claw has no hitag and there is no 1221 pole anywhere in my map. So what is triggering it's movement? Thats why I thought its a bug. No matter where I place one it rockets to the ceiling and then slides it's way to the nearest corner.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 30 May 2018 - 11:58 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Now check this weirdness. In the above in game pic its showing the closed claw tile 1224. But in Mapster it shows an opened claw 1222. So that means those 2 claws went through their hardcoded action even though there is nothing to trigger them. The more I look the goofier it becomes. If I look hard enough I might find a reasonable explanation for all this but right now its making little sense.

Ah, maybe the hardcoding closes the claw when not in use and it opens only when grabbing something. That explains that part but not the movement.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 30 May 2018 - 12:09 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Do moving cranes use locators? It might be interacting with the RECON flight path in E1L2.

User is offline   Mark 

It doesn't need any to set a crane up but maybe its hardcoding uses locators. I place another crane in the HH where they are stationary and no recons. BRB...

Darn, I did put a recon in HH. Never mind. You could be on to something there. But if that was the case my stationary cranes in HH would have moved but they don't. IIRC they are in a TROR area. Maybe that insulated them from the recon interference?

This post has been edited by Mark.: 30 May 2018 - 12:20 PM

User is offline   Mark 

This might be a good case for specific test maps.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I don't see any reference to locators in the InfoSuite entry on cranes. I guess we'll have to look at the source code.

User is offline   Mark 

My brain hurts after all these tests and rambling posts. Maybe later tonight I'll make a test map with and without a recon and see how the crane reacts.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options