Duke4.net Forums: teleport direction not working right - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

teleport direction not working right

User is offline   Mark 

Running rev.6909
The simple SE7 teleport is not working properly for me. Instead of exiting the teleport in the direction of the SE7 sprite in Mapster, you exit in the same direction you entered. It happens in my HHR remake of E1L2. So I doublechecked it in my vanilla D3D folder and it happens in that E1L2 map too.

IIRC someone reported recently that the teleport was broken and a quick fix was issued. Maybe check that revision for an error?

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

I thought this was always the case with Z based and elevator teleporters as they're meant to be seamless.
Do regular teleporters like E2L1 one force you towards the angle?
That's where it's supposed to happen.

User is offline   Mark 

If the z based teleporters are not supposed to be the direction of the sprite, someone should change the tutorial in the popular
Duke Nukem 3D Informational Suite by Ryan Lennox. No mention of the exception for z based teleporting.

" Create the sectors which you want to teleport between. They do not have to be the same size or shape. Place an S[Channel,7] in each sector. The location of each S indicates exactly where the player will be teleported. The angle of each S determines the direction that the player will face upon exiting that specific teleporter."

I guess I will have to try and change the map so the player can ONLY enter the sewer cover entrance from the direction I want them to exit from. Otherwise they may never realise there is a new area behind them. :(

This post has been edited by Mark.: 30 May 2018 - 03:36 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

With 1.5

User is offline   Mark 

My point stands that the tutorial should have the update about the sprite direction exception for height teleporting so other new mappers don't make the same mistake as I did.

I couldn't easily direct the player to enter on top from only one direction so I decided to make the destination exit in a different place altogether where direction isn't as critical. A good enough compromise.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 30 May 2018 - 08:33 AM

User is offline   Hank 

I lost my access code to the wiki, but I did check it for accuracy a long time ago.
http://wiki.eduke32....ing_Teleporters
It reads:
NOTE 2: The angle of the sector effectors does not need to be changed. The player's angle upon entry of the source sector is the same when he exits the destination sector.

Since you are concerned for new mappers, I think: the wiki is old, and needs updating, but is still a valid starting point to learn mapping.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMark., on 29 May 2018 - 01:04 PM, said:

exiting the teleport in the direction of the SE7 sprite in Mapster

I thought that only worked on SE23.
Been awhile, so I could be wrong.

This post has been edited by Forge: 30 May 2018 - 01:07 PM

User is offline   Mark 

The wiki does a better job of explaining things. I usually access the Infosuite site and thats where its not quite as clear.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Maybe you should notify the author or someone who has editing rights?

Forge: E3L1 teleporter room is a good example, you always end up facing another table no matter the angle you enter in.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options