• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Serious Sam Thread  "In anticipation for SS4"

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 19 April 2018 - 12:09 PM, said:

I'm still using an old i7 2600k Sandy Bridge CPU

I know this is not the CPU thread so I'll keep this brief but I have the exact same CPU... except mine is not a K model so I can't overclock. :P

Anyway I just had a look at Serious Sam Fusion 2017, Croteam's weird new project that aims to gather all Sam games (the ones that run on Serious Engine 3 and up) under the new engine and they have both Vulkan and DX12. Croteam sure loves these low level APIs. :lol:

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 19 April 2018 - 02:05 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Sorry to derail, but check your motherboard. I have an old I7. I thought I had one upgrade path to a $1000 buck processor to get a real performance boost. I checked my board compatibility and found that there were a few Xeons I could drop in there, including a 6 core that would give me a 50 percent performance boost for not a silly amount of money.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Started replaying SS3 under Fusion 2017 and I have to say, this version of the game is pretty impressive, a lot of my gripes with the original game were addressed here. Just what I noticed so far:

- Better performance overall. SS3 was not the king of optimization originally, now it runs perfectly fine with Fusion. The Vulkan and DX12 renderers clearly need a bit more work so I'm playing in DX11 though.
- Serious difficulty feels a bit more harder yet more balanced. As a result the game ramps up a bit quicker, the first few levels are not as boring as they were originally.
- There are some new secrets and you can find more ammo for the secret weapons too so the laser gun and the sniper rifle are more or less proper parts of the arsenal if you manage to find them.
- Better physics.
- The sound effects for the pistol and the assault rifle are different, they feel a bit more punchy as a result.

Nice job, Croteam. There are a few very minor issues since Fusion is still in beta but overall it feels more polished than the original game. The only thing that's bothering me is that kleers feel a bit buggy here, they change their positions unnaturally a lot. This was a problem in the original too but here it's a bit more apparent.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 22 April 2018 - 06:16 AM

User is offline   ---- 

ANd why didn't I find this before?

https://steamcommuni.../?id=1290128538

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Then you also might appreciate this:

https://steamcommuni.../?id=1342953975

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

It's a pity that Serious Sam II isn't included in Fusion. It was the most colorful and comic-style release of all Serious Sam iterations and I still consider it the pinnacle of the whole serious, errr, series.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostNightFright, on 22 April 2018 - 12:40 PM, said:

It's a pity that Serious Sam II isn't included in Fusion. It was the most colorful and comic-style release of all Serious Sam iterations and I still consider it the pinnacle of the whole serious, errr, series.

According to one of the devs, SS2 will eventually be included in Fusion after they give it a massive rewrite. (And also presumably once they port it to the Serious Engine 3 or 3.5 or whatever they're all running on)

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 22 April 2018 - 12:55 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNightFright, on 22 April 2018 - 12:40 PM, said:

What Ninety-Six said, also: the situation is actually so "serious" that Croteam doesn't even consider SS2 as part of the canon anymore. The thing is that apparently 2K Games, SS2's publisher was heavily involved in creating the game's cartoony art style so Croteam doesn't really like that game from hindsight, that's why they want to remake it. Even when it comes to the fanbase you're in the minority, most players prefer the style of FE / SE / HD so the remake will have an art style that is more akin to those games. Croteam also dislikes the weapon designs so those will get the axe too in favor of the traditional Sam arsenal and the story will be different too.

Anyway even though Croteam hates SS2 they still support it thanks to their "no game gets left behind" attitude (and thanks to Devolver owning the publishing rights now instead of 2K) so if you buy the game on Steam you'll see a different version of it these days. They fixed a bunch of bugs and added proper widescreen support with the correct UI scale, FoV and everything so while it's not in Fusion it still has a bit of modern spit and polish.

As for your opinion on the art style I have to say that while I like SS2 just fine I think they went over the line with all the cartoony stuff. Serious Sam was always a bit stylized and super silly but to me Sam 2 feels like an actual Saturday morning cartoon made for kids and I think that must have been 2K's idea when it comes to positioning the franchise. It's just too much and you can feel that the character designs and the violence was toned down in favor of presenting that cartoon vibe. A good example of this is how the headless kamikazes look: SS2's art style is so kid friendly that they had to redesign that iconic enemy. The kamikaze design is supposed to be an exercise in dark humor, it's a morbid looking character that deliberately doesn't make sense but in SS2 it's just a guy with a bomb for a head. I mean just look at this, the SS2 kamikaze sticks out like a sore thumb:
Posted Image

However I think that there is one game in the franchise that nails the cartoony look: Next Encounter, the only FPS in the series that wasn't made by Croteam. The cartoony stuff is not overblown there, it's just a more cartoony Sam game that still manages to resemble FE and SE a lot.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 22 April 2018 - 05:18 PM

To be honest I actually liked a lot of the weapons of SS2. I'll agree that it was maybe a bit too cartoony for my tastes, but I did like the wider spectrum of colors they used. As much as I love FE, "sandstone yellow" did get pretty old after a while...

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNinety-Six, on 22 April 2018 - 05:23 PM, said:

To be honest I actually liked a lot of the weapons of SS2. I'll agree that it was maybe a bit too cartoony for my tastes, but I did like the wider spectrum of colors they used. As much as I love FE, "sandstone yellow" did get pretty old after a while...

I like most of the designs too, I just have problems with some of the arsenal. Some weapons seriously lack their punch, I found the parrot bombs too silly even for Sam and both of the shotguns are terrible.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 22 April 2018 - 05:35 PM

User is offline   fgsfds 

View PostNinety-Six, on 22 April 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

According to one of the devs, SS2 will eventually be included in Fusion after they give it a massive rewrite.

It will be a completely different game more similar to TFE/TSE/BFE that won't have much to do with the original SS2 rather than a remaster.

View Postfgsfds, on 22 April 2018 - 06:01 PM, said:

It will be a completely different game more similar to TFE/TSE/BFE that won't have much to do with the original SS2 rather than a remaster.

Is that right? Well I hope they keep the planet-hopping at least. And Planet Kleer. And Kronos. And Siriusopolis. Those were my favorite areas.

User is offline   Player Lin 

Croteam never said about detail, only say "re-image" or something, so it's very likely just totally remake, based on the original story of SS2.

TBH, I tried about prequels, too many games lovin' doing this shit...

• The Truth is in here

If they put that much effort into it, I guess it's gonna be more like an all-new game that you have to buy again even if you own SS2 on Steam already. Maybe you'll get a discount then, though. Anyway, I hope they don't turn it into a completely different game. Many of the cutscenes/level intros were so absurdly idiotic that I fell from the chair laughing back then when I played it for the first time, I still remember it. Would be a pity if that got lost.

View PostNightFright, on 23 April 2018 - 03:16 AM, said:

Maybe you'll get a discount then, though.

Knowing Croteam I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Unlike some companies they're pretty generous. More generous than perhaps they even need to be. Even if there is no discount I still sort of doubt it would retail at full price, full remake or not.

User is offline   fgsfds 

Attached Image: Capture.PNG

Found the original post. It may keep some of the SS2's elements (whatever they are), but overall it'll be a new game.

This post has been edited by fgsfds: 23 April 2018 - 03:31 AM

• The Truth is in here

Well, I guess right now SS4 has priority. After that they make focus on this. It's a surprising move, but at least it shows that they want to make things right. That's never a bad attitude.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNightFright, on 23 April 2018 - 04:20 AM, said:

Well, I guess right now SS4 has priority. After that they make focus on this.

That's the thing really: after SS4 Talos Principle 2 will be the priority so it will be interesting to see what happens with the SS2 remake. I hope they do something with it after SS4 because I don't want more prequels.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

So, I've never played SS2 yet (it's in my library but I've been avoiding it) but is it the only game that takes place after TSE and not on Earth? As in, does he confront Mental at last? It is getting old not taking the fight to Mental himself at last, but honestly I don't care where or when any new official Croteam canon SS game takes place. I just want to play it because I love their game design.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 23 April 2018 - 06:36 AM

• The Truth is in here

Indeed. Also since the story basically hasn't really moved on since SS2. Mental still isn't defeated or even close to it. Instead we basically only moved backwards. If we continue like that, soon Sam needs to fight in his diapers. Time to go Back To The Future ™!

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 23 April 2018 - 06:36 AM, said:

As in, does he confront Mental at last?

Sorta, kinda, not really.

User is offline   necroslut 

At least it looks like they're going in a different direction than with BFE.

View PostZaxx, on 22 April 2018 - 05:34 PM, said:

I like most of the designs too, I just have problems with some of the arsenal. Some weapons seriously lack their punch, I found the parrot bombs too silly even for Sam and both of the shotguns are terrible.

The weapons lack punch, but the visual designs are cool and have much more personality than the extremely generic versions in the other games.

User is offline   Newken 

Serious Sam 2 is fun with the InSamnity! 2 mod. :P

View PostZaxx, on 23 April 2018 - 06:32 AM, said:

That's the thing really: after SS4 Talos Principle 2 will be the priority so it will be interesting to see what happens with the SS2 remake. I hope they do something with it after SS4 because I don't want more prequels.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't go the SS3 route and release the remakes in the leadup to SS4. I get that 2 will need a ground-up rework, but technically speaking didn't they do the same thing by remaking SS1 in the Serious Engine 3? Or am I completely off?

View PostNightFright, on 23 April 2018 - 06:36 AM, said:

Indeed. Also since the story basically hasn't really moved on since SS2. Mental still isn't defeated or even close to it. Instead we basically only moved backwards. If we continue like that, soon Sam needs to fight in his diapers. Time to go Back To The Future ™!

I do believe they said the reason they keep doing prequels is because SS2 made the series "unsequelable."

It's kind of ironic that the second half of what SS1 was supposed to be sorta never came to pass as Croteam wanted, and instead we got TSE and then prequels.

• The Truth is in here

I think Serious Sam is the first game series that progresses by going backwards. It's one way to be different, but unfortunately from a narrative POV it's headshot material. Not that the series ever had sophisticated storytelling, but...

We'll move forward eventually, I'm sure of it. We have to. Right?

Spoiler

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I think with the scope and scale of each game getting bigger and bigger, building up the big bad buy even more makes us all the more want to see what that would look like. Also, I really want to see Sam's attitude meet Mental face to face.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 23 April 2018 - 01:07 PM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 23 April 2018 - 01:07 PM, said:

I think with the scope and scale of each game getting bigger and bigger, building up the big bad buy even more makes us all the more want to see what that would look like. Also, I really want to see Sam's attitude meet Mental face to face.

I always sort of thought "Final Fight" was written from that perspective, but that could just be Undercode's take.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

They should make a boss badguy that is literally the whole level. You are in, or on, the badguy.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 23 April 2018 - 02:16 PM

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options