Duke4.net Forums: HHR video on Youtube question - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HHR video on Youtube question

User is offline   Mark 

Early this morning, about 11 hours ago, I discovered someone posted a walkthrough video of the Hollywood Holocaust Re-thinked mod. It shows its been up since March 10th and had about 6500 views. For some reason the amount of views has jumped up to almost 8400 during today. I checked a bunch of times because I couldn't believe how fast it was jumping up. Are those view counters on Youtube known to be faulty or did something on the web trigger such a flood of views?

On a side note. It sucks that the poster linked the project download to a site other than it's original Moddb site. His new link takes you to another site with a download manager and ads. Thats going to deter some people from downloading and playing plus it screws up the Moddb DL counter that I was keeping track of. Grrrr..... :P

This post has been edited by Mark.: 21 April 2018 - 03:38 PM

The video is probably ending up in people's recommended lists, which is potentially how you found about the video as well.

View PostMark., on 21 April 2018 - 03:38 PM, said:

His new link takes you to another site with a download manager and ads. Thats going to deter some people from downloading and playing plus it screws up the Moddb DL counter that I was keeping track of. Grrrr..... :P

A quick scan of the guy's other videos shows that all of his "download links" are all just ad.fly referrals, meaning he's one of those bottom feeding, scum sucking, algae eaters who's out to make a quick buck off the work of others. It's a wonder this channel's videos aren't stolen as well, although I can't say for certain they aren't.

User is offline   Mark 

Actually, I typed in a google search for HHR so I could see if anything new popped up on the mod. I don't mind him making money but I really wish he wouldn't have changed the link. I'm fussy about wanting to know how many downloads the mod has and watching Moddb counter was fine.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 21 April 2018 - 05:58 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Plus, AdFly is infamous for very dodgy ads (You've won an cryptovirus ipad!!). That and third party installers are a similar huge no-no for the same reasons.

User is offline   Perro Seco 

If you are the mod creator, can't you ask him to change the link for yours?

User is offline   Mark 

I don't want to create a Youtube account just to ask him. Plus, if he is making money from linking to that other site he won't want to change it. I see that Teamonster left a reply for the proper link. It would be nice if some people from here upvoted his reply to keep it visible.

I just checked. Its now up to 9277 views. WTF. I wonder if its getting so many views in the last 24 hours ( almost 3,000 ) because YT is suggesting it for viewers of Ion Maiden vids. I can't think of any other reason.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 22 April 2018 - 05:55 AM

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View PostMark., on 22 April 2018 - 05:49 AM, said:

I see that Teamonster left a reply for the proper link. It would be nice if some people from here upvoted his reply to keep it visible.
Thats what I was going to suggest. I upvoted his reply with two accounts I've got.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Thank you.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Gave it an up vote and a response as well.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Some people also pay groups to give their videos a lot of views. Not saying that’s what’s happening here though.

User is offline   Mark 

Oh well, a compromise is better than nothing. The video description now mentions his horrible download site and the proper Moddb home page next to each other. That at least gives some chance of steering downloaders to the right one. I still wish this could have happened about 11,000 views earlier. :P

This post has been edited by Mark.: 23 April 2018 - 05:41 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options