• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostMicky C, on 18 April 2018 - 02:33 AM, said:

I've tried out Queen of the Hill. Couldn't find the last 3 enemies in round 2. It's not as exciting as I thought it'd be. You spend too much time actually searching for the enemies, all the while the anxiety of the counter ticking down, as opposed to in combat. War of Attrition's challenge mode is much better in terms of the appropriateness of the level layouts, and the visibility of the enemies. Plus its powerups make it much more dynamic. Queen of the Hill feels incredibly rigid by comparison.

Wave 2 is the worst in that regard. After that you start getting a lot more enemies, which also gives you more time so it's much less of a hassle once you get past w.2.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View Postnecroslut, on 18 April 2018 - 02:57 AM, said:

Wave 2 is the worst in that regard. After that you start getting a lot more enemies, which also gives you more time so it's much less of a hassle once you get past w.2.

Yep, wave 2 is the "hit or miss" part of QotH, after that the timer stops becoming a problem.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 18 April 2018 - 04:24 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Wave 1-2 need tweaking indeed, a future patch will address a bunch of small things with qoth :P

You should never really run out of time and that wasn't the intention. It's just there to prevent camping in a corner really.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View Postoasiz, on 18 April 2018 - 04:25 AM, said:

It's just there to prevent camping in a corner really.

then you can claim victory. mission accomplished.

What this mode needs is more maps. I'm going to assume that once I've beaten it, I'll probably never touch it again for a year or more.

This post has been edited by Forge: 18 April 2018 - 07:14 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostForge, on 18 April 2018 - 07:13 AM, said:

then you can claim victory. mission accomplished.

What this mode needs is more maps. I'm going to assume that once I've beaten it, I'll probably never touch it again for a year or more.

I think the main problem is the lack of variety: horde modes like this are pretty boring in fully developed games too so there is not much you can do if it's part of a demo. The enemy variety is limited, you have only one weapon, only health pickups and armor, no power ups.

The thing is though that Ion Maiden's combat is fun so a mode like this could be great in the full version with enemy variety, more arenas, power ups etc. and there is a bit of co-op potential here too.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

3DR uploaded their PAX panel:

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostSanek, on 18 April 2018 - 02:32 AM, said:

Maybe because Voidpoint is just a developer-for-hire? They don't own the IP, they don't have any other games under their belt, and most publishers don't give the proper credit to the developers unless the team is already well-known across the industry. Heck, even the well-known studios don't get the credit they deserves. It just happens that Voidpoint owns the port, have extremely talented people on board and 3DR obviously don't have the budget for the likes of Nerve or other "professional" developers. Why pay more for less? As far as Build Engine games go, you can't find a better team than this one. :P

How does the first and second part of your post even make sense together in your head? If there's no better team to develop for BUILD you would think they'd be shown a little more respect.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostJimmy, on 19 April 2018 - 11:51 PM, said:

How does the first and second part of your post even make sense together in your head? If there's no better team to develop for BUILD you would think they'd be shown a little more respect.

The way I see it it's just hard to explain to the general consumer what EDuke32 is, what Voidpoint is, where this whole thing is coming from = why the dev team is the most important factor in the game's quality. Saying "3D Realms = Duke 3D = Ion Maiden" is a much simpler message and hell, it may even be more effective. It's just the way it is for now but if Voidpoint ships the full game and the full game will be awesome (and of course it will be but keep in mind that IM is Vp's first commercial product) that "3D Realms" message will quickly turn into "Voidpoint".

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 20 April 2018 - 12:20 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I've heard them drop the name "Voidpoint" a couple times.

User is offline   NNC 

I'm not sure what the game's development state is now, but I recommend the 4 leveldesigners to make their own zones/episodes to give them a more characteristic layout. If every zone is done by everyone, they can easily blend into something common even with different themes. Usually an episode by a singe author flows better than an episode by multiple authors. Just my two cents.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostNancsi, on 20 April 2018 - 05:54 AM, said:

I'm not sure what the game's development state is now, but I recommend the 4 leveldesigners to make their own zones/episodes to give them a more characteristic layout. If every zone is done by everyone, they can easily blend into something common even with different themes. Usually an episode by a singe author flows better than an episode by multiple authors. Just my two cents.

You'd be surprised of the kind of variety a single author can pull off when they want to though.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

There is a spot in the preview campaign where the shift in style is too noticeable, the outdoor area where you need a keycard to go down an elevator, that part is too blocky compared to previous and later areas, I don't know if it was made by another mapper. Just saying, not nitpick or anything.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostMicky C, on 20 April 2018 - 06:01 AM, said:

You'd be surprised of the kind of variety a single author can pull off when they want to though.

Of course, but people are at their best in their own style. And there is little room to do experimental stuff in a commercial Build engine game which selling point is to do high quality maps. I still encourage that at least 4 of the planned 7 zones should be one man's vision.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 20 April 2018 - 09:05 AM

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostJimmy, on 19 April 2018 - 11:51 PM, said:

I respect the makers of the game but no matter how good they are, nobody ever heard of them until Ion Maiden was announced.
It's just that Vpoint don't have any brand recogntion, while 3DR is a legend. It's that simple.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Voidpoint are the ones who are actually developing the game. I gather TX is directing the project, and Voidpoint has a lot of control over the creative decisions, i.e. what makes the game fun.

User is offline   Hank 

^ It’s not that simple. Voidpoint needs 3D Realms and vice versa, methinks? Could be wrong, as most of the time.

I ask my girl to keep me awake watching this soporific video again. (post 1476) One person in the audience was definitely sick (person with purple hair). Thus, perhaps the Vice President of 3D Realms and Scott Miller were sick, or sickly, tired and stressed out? Let’s (or I will anyway) give them some time to promote this awesome game.

I prefer Bombardier over Queen of the Hill, but hey, I’m an old fart, so if you like Queen of the Hill, I love you still.

Best Wishes to all involved, super ecstatic for the game. Go forth guys and win - winning is a nice feeling. :P

User is offline   Player Lin 

It's very weird, the 3DR website and forum just looks like...uh...deadly water, nothing like all PAX footages or news.

No news about IM except the history one(March 23), and the latest news just about Raptor from the 1st day of April.

Are they just want to keep low profile or something(like don't get too hyped or whatever else may backslash them if goes wrong)?

It's really really weird... Just hope it just they're too tired or some bad things and still preparing something good or big for IM or their new other things... :P

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 21 April 2018 - 09:13 PM

User is offline   NNC 

Just wondering, is there a chance that the blocked subway exit in the streets of Washington Wasteland is the same as the blocked subway exit much later in Disrupted Service (after the start of the level, the rightmost secret tagged area to the grey corridor)?

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Yup, kinda! there are 2d images of the whole map that help with showing it. Maybe fox can post one of his here.

We wanted to convey this to some degree but they ended up aligning quite well by accident

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Another Ion Maiden mention over on PC Gamer, in the article "Do FPS games still need a singleplayer campaign," inspired by the recent rumors that Black Ops 4 would be solely multiplayer focused.

On the one hand, first-person shooters need to have singleplayer campaigns if they're going to continue appealing to the market of misanthropic hermits like me who only play multiplayer games so we can complain they don't have bots, or if they do they're definitely not good enough bots. On the other hand, I haven't played a Call of Duty since the original Black Ops back in 2010 and now just play retro indie craft beer shooters like Ion Maiden and Amid Evil instead, so it's not like they were going to win me over no matter how much they spent on hiring one big-name actor for the single-player campaign anyway.

What I'm saying is I don't have a horse in this race, which never stopped anybody from sharing their opinion on the internet as the comments below will bear out. You should definitely check out Ion Maiden though, which is like Duke Nukem 3D only you can blow somebody up with a bowling ball bomb and then kick their head around.

User is offline   NNC 

I recognised the "Cops are pigs" banners had been replaced with "Pigs are cops". I think the original made sense, and was quite funny, this one well.... what's the meaning?

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I guess the original term had a taste of political incorrectness, even if the Duke3D pun was fun.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostNightFright, on 23 April 2018 - 04:26 AM, said:

I guess the original term had a taste of political incorrectness, even if the Duke3D pun was fun.

In that case, the whole salt and fat stuff for the true americans or the Funk You should be gone too. Or the MTV joke. I seriously hope this wasn't the reason for the change. The current one is terrible and meaningless, it's even better to remove them.

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostHank, on 21 April 2018 - 05:23 PM, said:

^ It’s not that simple. Voidpoint needs 3D Realms and vice versa, methinks? Could be wrong, as most of the time.

I know that. I was talking about the mentioning in the press.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostSanek, on 23 April 2018 - 05:22 AM, said:

I know that. I was talking about the mentioning in the press.

This was not directed at anyone, specific.
And as I wrote in that post, for now, I'll shut up. I deleted my sardonic comment on Steam and simply wait now for the entire game to be published. This is the only way for me to chill.

Thus, best wishes to all. :P

This post has been edited by Hank: 23 April 2018 - 06:45 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I have been mostly silent on IM because I too am waiting for the full version before I buy it. It will be the first new game I have bought in many years. And thats saying something. I'm against signing up for digital downloads on a website but I'm going to make an exception for this game when the time comes.

• The Sarien Encounter

There will be a physical release. You could just get that.

User is offline   Mark 

Wow, even better. Shows how much attention I've been paying.

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah. Classic big box release. Comes with a floppy disk that slides out a USB.

User is offline   Mark 

OK. I remember now reading something about that. I just forgot.

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options